Rai #0 -5

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Tomt
2 posts down, 2 million to go
Valiant fan since: 1992
Rai #0 -5

Post by Tomt »

I'd have to double check on grading but I have Rai#0 through at least #5 sealed in hard plastic casement and they haven't been opened since I bought them back in the early 90s. Any clue on their worth?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Rai #0 -5

Post by greg »

Tomt wrote:I'd have to double check on grading but I have Rai#0 through at least #5 sealed in hard plastic casement and they haven't been opened since I bought them back in the early 90s. Any clue on their worth?
About $15 to $20 each, if they're in near mint condition. "Sealed in hard plastic casement" doesn't really mean anything since they didn't come from Valiant that way. If it protected the condition, then that's great. :D

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Welcome to the boards.

There is a price guide on this site which may give you some guidance. It will depend greatly on condition. If you do not see the price guide tab above, you should be able to click the following link:

http://www.valiantfan.com/guide

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Pictures would help us, if you can post them.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Assuming hard plastic casement means a graded copy of some sort, the #3 and #4 are probably the most valuable. Does the casement indicate a numerical grade?

Then again, I don't think slabbing was yet invented in the early 90's, so...

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

Can I get the hard plastic casements without the comics?

:kidaround:

Welcome to the boards!
:hm:

Tomt

Post by Tomt »

They are encased is what its saying is a showcase sealer. There is no grading so I'm assuming the value of the comics wont increase, although they do appear to be in mint condtion.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Tomt wrote:They are encased is what its saying is a showcase sealer. There is no grading so I'm assuming the value of the comics wont increase, although they do appear to be in mint condtion.
Hi Tom,

Some input meant to help you out and provide some perspective....

Showcase sealers are basically frames for raw comics. To the hobby at large, they aren't sought after in any way, outside of those who want them for their intended purpose. My thoughts are that if you are trying to move the books to maximize saleable income, consider removing the comics from the showcase sealers, sell the books in a lot on eBay (bagged and boarded) and maybe sell the showcase sealers in a separate lot to someone who wants them for some framing project of some kind.

The books you have are desirable to a niche group of collectors on a forum like this where we've turned Valiant collecting into an almost PHD level of study. However, to help calibrate where you are at - it's not an entirely significant grouping of books to the hobby at large. Just do some ebay searching for the stuff you have - that will help calibrate your values. Also, be prepared for discussion on grading. Many people who are not long time enthusiasts are often surprised to find that what they thought was a Near Mint book (quantified as a 9.4) is actually a Very Fine book (more akin to an 8.5). Just food for thought.

Lastly, with your best interests in mind, I would tell you not to sped too much of your time to sell this lot. They are cool books, but the truth is that most people who want them already have them, and they aren't worth nearly enough to invest significant time into unloading them. Basically, they aren't going to net a seller a grand, or even hundreds. Again, I'm saying this just for perspective. Early Rai books are still a respected run.... on this forum.

XOisTops1
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by XOisTops1 »

"IF" you think they are really in very high grade, they "might" stand a chance of getting a CGC grade of 9.8, then it's worth looking into getting them CGC graded. They pretty much have to come back as 9.8 with White pages. To get this 9.8 grade, the books will have to look virtually flawless. No spine tics of any kind, razor sharp corners, no creases of any kind. Getting a grade of like 9.6 which is the next grade below 9.8 will dramatically affect their worth IMO.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Hey a run of Rai that someone put into Showcase Sealers back in the day is pretty cool. I mean the cases cost $10+ each. Really lets you know how well they were thought of at the time. You could find ASM1's in a Showcase Sealers back then, pre-CGC.

If you take them out, try to take a group shot of them first and post the picture please!

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I'll echo CKB and IMJ's comments.

Hey, it's really cool to have them. We all already have them, in high grade raw and 9.8, and in some cases SS 9.8 (I'm describing me). I sell books in sets like this for $40-50 tops. Still, very cool to have.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Tomt wrote:They are encased is what its saying is a showcase sealer. There is no grading so I'm assuming the value of the comics wont increase, although they do appear to be in mint condtion.
Can you post a picture of the books in the sealer?