Everyone’s First Comic Purchase of 2019

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Everyone’s First Comic Purchase of 2019

Post by magnus20009 »

Thought it would be interesting to have a thread showing the first comic we each purchased in 2019. Should be a diverse set of books.

I will go first. I purchased Eternal Warrior 1:50 Mack Variant CGC 9.8 in Singapore from board member Alanneous who lives there (and owns the original art to the cover :o which is why he was selling the book).

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993
Re: Everyone’s First Comic Purchase of 2019

Post by dino »

Congrats man! Here's my first of the year. Upgraded my 8.0 before Marvel Studios runs up prices on all the X-Men keys.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Love that Mack cover. Almost bought the actual cover myself from David Mack at a con. So, so close. However, there were a few others that had my eye at the time.

I haven't had a nice purchase yet that is anywhere near as monumental as these two. However, I did finally buy Dinosaurs for Hire #7, which is a parody of Turok, which I did not have in my collection. But that is my official first delivered comic purchase in 2019.

The first read? Busted out the discount hardcover of 4001 for my first reread.

Always Valiant!

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Killed some time in a comic shop while my kid was at the dentist ... bought this so I wouldn’t leave empty-handed.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

This is my first buy: Klaus and the Crying Snowman. A one-shot from Grant Morrison that spun out of the 7-part mini he launched two years back, which was his take on the Santa Claus origin story. Since then this is the second one-shot to have been released in December on an apparently yearly schedule. Got my fingers crossed for another next year as I've read the whole bundle at Christmas time each year since it first came out :D
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Funcha
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor Smith

Post by Funcha »

Mine was actually the first issue of the new Alien 3 miniseries from Dark Horse, based off of the very first screenplay. So far the story is a bit slow going, but from what I remember about an article I read about the third act, *SQUEE* goes *SQUEE* crazy. Only similarities to the final film are the egg being left behind and aliens coming out of animals.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

dino wrote:Congrats man! Here's my first of the year. Upgraded my 8.0 before Marvel Studios runs up prices on all the X-Men keys.

Awesome book and great processing on this! I've been thinking the same about the X-Men stuff as well.....

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Got these 4 issues just the other day, so it’s my first of 2019!

Working on a set of later Tales Of Suspense from 84-99 (these are the issues not included in a Masterworks reprint), got 91 & 92 for 50% off! The two DC horror books were only $2 each :)

I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

:thumb: on those T.O.S. books!
Most underrated run of keys ever!

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

The walking dead yesterday
I Miss the good old days.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

grendeljd wrote:Got these 4 issues just the other day, so it’s my first of 2019!

Working on a set of later Tales Of Suspense from 84-99 (these are the issues not included in a Masterworks reprint), got 91 & 92 for 50% off! The two DC horror books were only $2 each :)

Love ToS, and these look pretty nice. Tough to get in high grade. I've been working on mine for awhile, and have a full run from 40-99 (minus one issue, I think). I don't think I have a 39 in my future, but I have a few of the earlier ones. They are really hard to find in any condition.

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

Funcha wrote:Mine was actually the first issue of the new Alien 3 miniseries from Dark Horse, based off of the very first screenplay. So far the story is a bit slow going, but from what I remember about an article I read about the third act, *SQUEE* goes *SQUEE* crazy. Only similarities to the final film are the egg being left behind and aliens coming out of animals.
What's the title of this comic? I'd like to check it out myself.

I remember watching a 'making of' video on youtube sometime in recent history about the Alien series, and they mentioned on that that the original screenplay of the third film was very different from the 'religious cult on a prison spaceship' premise that ended up making the final shoot, although I can't recall precisely what the original setup was.

Would you mind reminding me? :high-five:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

Savage Dragon #241. This book has been one I've literally been reading since I was 12 years old. It's had a lot of ups and downs and is currently going through a very extreme (pun kind of intended) run that i'm on the fence about. But I appreciate Erik Larsen trying to push his envelope and his readers' comfort zones.
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

JonesyAZ wrote:Savage Dragon #241. This book has been one I've literally been reading since I was 12 years old. It's had a lot of ups and downs and is currently going through a very extreme (pun kind of intended) run that i'm on the fence about. But I appreciate Erik Larsen trying to push his envelope and his readers' comfort zones.
Very cool post. I dropped Dragon after a full run at 175. Sometimes I wish I didn't. It's just that at some point I quit reading it, and I realized that I've got so much stuff to read now that I'd possibly never get back into it. I really believe in that run though. It's everything in many ways I wish modern comics would still do.

Someday that run is gonna pop big time.

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version

Post by aj583 »

I read this 50 times when I was little. Used to use silly putty to copy the panels inside. In rough shape ... but you always love your first.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aj583
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version

Post by aj583 »

Lol. Not of 2019...got excited as I just came across it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I love those SPIDEY SUPER STORIES comics! I keep meaning to try and put a run together.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

nycjadie wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Got these 4 issues just the other day, so it’s my first of 2019!

Love ToS, and these look pretty nice. Tough to get in high grade. I've been working on mine for awhile, and have a full run from 40-99 (minus one issue, I think). I don't think I have a 39 in my future, but I have a few of the earlier ones. They are really hard to find in any condition.
Wow, man - that’s an impressive set! Even without a 39. I doubt I’ll ever collect back that far - I have the softcover editions of the Iron Man Marvel Masterworks containing 39-83, and I’m pretty happy with the quality of those reproductions. Having said that, I will probably go back into the #60-70 range as I’m interested in reading more of the earlier Captain America stories as well.

These two issues did look really sharp for the price of $20 each! I’ll post some pics of them out of the bags if I have a chance.
IMJ wrote::thumb: on those T.O.S. books!
Yeah man, it’s crazy how many characters got their start in these issues! I’m happy I have a copy of #94 at least (1st MODOK), although mine’s not in high grade shape.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote:
dino wrote:Congrats man! Here's my first of the year. Upgraded my 8.0 before Marvel Studios runs up prices on all the X-Men keys.
Awesome book and great processing on this! I've been thinking the same about the X-Men stuff as well.....
+1

Beautiful copy of that sweet sweet issue... I have limited my Xmen collecting to only go as far back as #94 (which I still don’t have a copy of), but I’m down to only 3 issues needed (94,99 & 103), so I am starting to eye the earlier pre-reprint issues now.

Funcha
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor Smith

Post by Funcha »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Funcha wrote:Mine was actually the first issue of the new Alien 3 miniseries from Dark Horse, based off of the very first screenplay. So far the story is a bit slow going, but from what I remember about an article I read about the third act, *SQUEE* goes *SQUEE* crazy. Only similarities to the final film are the egg being left behind and aliens coming out of animals.
What's the title of this comic? I'd like to check it out myself.

I remember watching a 'making of' video on youtube sometime in recent history about the Alien series, and they mentioned on that that the original screenplay of the third film was very different from the 'religious cult on a prison spaceship' premise that ended up making the final shoot, although I can't recall precisely what the original setup was.

Would you mind reminding me? :high-five:
It's William Gibson's Alien 3. Looks to be that it's shaping up to be some kind of intergalactic cold war story. Bishop gets stolen by a group similar to the Soviets while Ripley and crew end up at a space station where scientists begin doing experiments on animals, creating all kinds of wild new aliens.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

grendeljd wrote:
Yeah man, it’s crazy how many characters got their start in these issues! I’m happy I have a copy of #94 at least (1st MODOK), although mine’s not in high grade shape.
The cheapest 7.0 on eBay right now is $150 and it looks nice. Send the guy an offer for $125 shipped (which is more than fair, I think). If he agrees, crack the slab and you'll have a solid copy of that one for your set that will be in the Very Fine family of grades for acceptable money. You will overpay a bit at that price based on Overstreet, but it's starting from a slab and it's a solid copy to procure amidst the currently manic speculator's market for first appearances! You could pay less on a raw, but you have a copy already and are expressing desire based on grade, so don't put yourself through the hassle of worrying about potential grade-twisting from an online raw.

:thumb:

nwoslave
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite character: Spike

Post by nwoslave »

This completes my Chaos Lady Death run up to Lady Death Alive.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
The cheapest 7.0 on eBay right now is $150 and it looks nice. Send the guy an offer for $125 shipped (which is more than fair, I think). If he agrees, crack the slab and you'll have a solid copy of that one for your set that will be in the Very Fine family of grades for acceptable money. You will overpay a bit at that price based on Overstreet, but it's starting from a slab and it's a solid copy to procure amidst the currently manic speculator's market for first appearances! You could pay less on a raw, but you have a copy already and are expressing desire based on grade, so don't put yourself through the hassle of worrying about potential grade-twisting from an online raw.

:thumb:
Good advice, and thanks for the heads-up on that listing! I am seriously thinking about it - but even at $125 shipped, the exchange rate in $CAN is really bad right now :(

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Alright, *technically* I bought this in December, but it just showed up this week - so I say it counts as my first comic *art* purchase of 2019...

Paolo Rivera original art, page 16 from The Valiant #2. Super happy to have this page, it has special personal meaning for me as I once drew a piece of fan art based on panel 3 back in 2015 (& I’m pretty sure I won a gold book for it from the official Valiant Twitter #fanartfriday contests back then).

Im especially pleased that the pencils & inks were done separately, I love seeing both side-by-side!

Inks;

Pencils;

Panel 3;

My fan art version;

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Tales of Suspense #77 (May-1966) | 1st Ultimo (full) & 1st Peggy Carter
Tales of Suspense #78 (June-1966) | 1st Chemical-Android

Both of these were supposed to be minor raw upgrades. The T.O.S. 77 was sold as VF/VF+, but I'd say it showed up here as 7.5. The T.O.S. #78 was sold as VF-, but I'd say it showed up here as 6.5. The price was right, so no big deal, and I love T.O.S. #77. There's a lot going on with that book, and with the giant monster fandom going on, I think it would be amazing to see Utimo on screen one day.

Both books showed up bagged and boarded. Now they live in golden age mylite 2's, double boarded with half-backs and microchamber paper sheets on pages 9 and 18.