DMG Entertainment Founder Dan Mintz on Acquiring Valiant...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
Re: DMG Entertainment Founder Dan Mintz on Acquiring Valiant

Post by StarBrand »

Great business move Dino. And one you deserved, as your love for the Valiant Universe was obvious long before you acquired ownership of it.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

I'm sticking to my theory that DMG Entertainment only bought Valiant to try to sell it at a later point for a higher price. If Valiant is worth a minimum of $220 million right now it could easily climb past the $500 million mark as long as the first few films are successful. Dan Mintz is probably hoping to strike a deal similar to Marvel's Disney for $4 Billion. I seriously doubt that will happen. The stock market overall is on the decline for all industries, and that Dan Mintz could potentially lose access to his Chinese funding due Yinji potentially going under. As soon as a Valiant film bombs, Dan's going to pull the plug and sell before the market cap drops any further.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

SuperMage wrote:I'm sticking to my theory that DMG Entertainment only bought Valiant to try to sell it at a later point for a higher price. If Valiant is worth a minimum of $220 million right now it could easily climb past the $500 million mark as long as the first few films are successful. Dan Mintz is probably hoping to strike a deal similar to Marvel's Disney for $4 Billion. I seriously doubt that will happen. The stock market overall is on the decline for all industries, and that Dan Mintz could potentially lose access to his Chinese funding due Yinji potentially going under. As soon as a Valiant film bombs, Dan's going to pull the plug and sell before the market cap drops any further.
I wouldn't be in the least surprised if this transpires to be true, in the event of poor film returns. Having said that, if the VMU (Valiant Movie Universe) ends up making a tonne of money and becomes a household name (I'm into hypotheticals here) then why sell the company on at a higher price? There's at least a chance that DMG would try to further develop and captialise on the property.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

SuperMage
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

Shadowman99 wrote:
SuperMage wrote:I'm sticking to my theory that DMG Entertainment only bought Valiant to try to sell it at a later point for a higher price. If Valiant is worth a minimum of $220 million right now it could easily climb past the $500 million mark as long as the first few films are successful. Dan Mintz is probably hoping to strike a deal similar to Marvel's Disney for $4 Billion. I seriously doubt that will happen. The stock market overall is on the decline for all industries, and that Dan Mintz could potentially lose access to his Chinese funding due Yinji potentially going under. As soon as a Valiant film bombs, Dan's going to pull the plug and sell before the market cap drops any further.
I wouldn't be in the least surprised if this transpires to be true, in the event of poor film returns. Having said that, if the VMU (Valiant Movie Universe) ends up making a tonne of money and becomes a household name (I'm into hypotheticals here) then why sell the company on at a higher price? There's at least a chance that DMG would try to further develop and captialise on the property.
It all comes down to which scenario yields the best results with the lowest risks to Dan Mintz. The Valiant purchase was opportunistic and timely. DMG bought Valiant at exactly the right moment after all the contracts were locked in for actors and directors on multiple blockbuster films, after the scripts had been written for said films, and after studios had been contracted to distribute the films. DMG Entertainment showed up after all the real work had been done, and bought Valiant while it was still a relatively small company with the guarantee that Valiant's value would likely triple by 2021 as long as everything continued as planned. The work has been done for them, and this scenario nets them the highest results without them having to get involved in the creative process of production. How long DMG retains control of Valiant is a question of how long an investment group can attempt to do a media company's job. If they want to continue trying that hand at running Valiant after the Sony deal expires they'll need to hire people who can act as creative directors for Valiant as a whole.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Dmg needs to put out some decent comics. Riding on a movie when their comics blow isnt winning them any awards
I Miss the good old days.

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

nonplayer wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Dmg needs to put out some decent comics. Riding on a movie when their comics blow isnt winning them any awards
Given the recent publishing slate I'd not be happy to use the descriptor 'blow' as a blanket term for the whole line, as I've been enjoying Ninja-K, Q+W!, XO Manowar, Shadowman and Britannia. Admittedly I haven't yet got my teeth into Dreamside, Rising Spirit or Livewire, but I'd be very surprised if they're absolutely and utterly awful.

I know that most(?) folks here are far from pulling the whole monthly line which is a reflection of general opinion on it, but do Valiant comics really blow now? Not in my opinion :?

Is it just that people are generally bummed out by all the DMG *SQUEE*? I know I've seen a few people psyched for the 'Breakthrough' titles coming later this year, so is this just residual negativity?

On the whole, I agree with the statement though, to some degree. Having said that, there is always the possibility that Valiant could one day shift 100% to a screen-based franchise rather than a paper-based one. Unlikely of course, but undoubtedly a possibility. Have to admit, saw Avengers: Infinity War a few days back and was impressed at how well the Marvel film universe is standing apart from its comic counterpart. Nothing to say that one day there won't be any more Marvel comics and we'll all just be watching Marvel movies instead.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Shadowman99 wrote:... but do Valiant comics really blow now? Not in my opinion
Nor mine. Some titles are better than others and there are a few things I'd change, but I'm enjoying the books overall.