Undervalued Gems

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Re: Undervalued Gems

Post by StarBrand »

greg wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I think Greg mentioned it earlier, but Star Wars 1 seems way underpriced to me. Seems like it should be maybe ten grand in CGC 9.8.
I think it would be... if there wasn't a 35-cent variant. I'm becoming more convinced that variants are vampires of regular editions. It's very rare to see a regular edition get much credit when there is a "rare variant" option for extra dollars to get sucked into.

I think there’s merit to your point. As that variant climbs in value I think it’ll pull the regular cover up with it proportionally.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I think high grade copies of Justice #32 are undervalued. Here’s why:
1. Later issues from the New Universe line are known to be low print.
2. All of the later issues of New Universe comics are newsstand editions. Those didn’t survive as well in high grade as direct editions.
3. It’s the last issue of Justice, and so probably has the lowest print run in one of the most popular New Universe series. Those last issues in this line may have been extraordinarily low print run for their time period, as the entire line was being canceled.
4. It has an unauthorized appearance of the Joker.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

How about Master of Kung Fu? With that Shang Chi movie coming out are there any books besides the obvious first couple that could move?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

StarBrand wrote:I think high grade copies of Justice #32 are undervalued. Here’s why:
1. Later issues from the New Universe line are known to be low print.
2. All of the later issues of New Universe comics are newsstand editions. Those didn’t survive as well in high grade as direct editions.
3. It’s the last issue of Justice, and so probably has the lowest print run in one of the most popular New Universe series. Those last issues in this line may have been extraordinarily low print run for their time period, as the entire line was being canceled.
4. It has an unauthorized appearance of the Joker.
The New Universe stuff is like Savage Dragon in that if there is ever any reason that the market turns it's eye on those books then prices are going to explode ridiculously. But what both are lacking is greater fan interest. You've made a solid case here though as to at least why Justice #32 is likely a tough find in truly high grade.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I started a New Universe fans Facebook group, and in less than a year we’re up to almost 250 members. It’s a very active group. We’ve even got several New U creators in the group who sometimes comment there. This universe is far more beloved than the narrative would lead anyone to believe.
That all said, I believe the later issues of DP 7 in high grade are set to rise in price. Specifically, the last three issues, (30-32) and perhaps the last six even. Here’s why:
DP 7 is one of the two most popular series from that universe. All issues toward the end of their runs were newsstand copies only. The entire line was about to be canceled. Those final New Universe issues may be far lower print than anyone knows. Also, Mile High is out of those last three issues of DP 7, and mycomicshop doesn’t have any of them in high grade.
I have a DP 7 #32 I grade at 9.6 that I’ll send off in my next batch to CGC. If it gets a 9.4 or better (once in a while my 9.6 gets a 9.8) I’ll ask a lot for it if I don’t keep it.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

depluto wrote:How about Master of Kung Fu? With that Shang Chi movie coming out are there any books besides the obvious first couple that could move?
-eh- Ya, but is that truly an undervalued gem, or is it a spec book? Or both? Also, is it going to have legs? Liberal arguments could pull the steam out of it. When it was Iron Fist internet liberals argued that was racist because Danny Rand is a white guy. Now they will conveniently argue that this is racist because an Asian is being portrayed as a cliche karate guy.

My point is, we have a long way to go before that movie solidifies the book as a bona fide success. Unless the spec crowd bolsters it's value.... But even then, is that book actually an underrated gem (hence, the thesis of this thread)?

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Green Lantern vol 2 #87 | December, 1971
-1st John Stewart
-2nd Guy Gardner

Green Lantern is one of those IP's that has a hardcore following, yet ups and downs across it's publishing history. When done correctly, Green Lantern books are truly beloved, but when interest trails off, man does it trail off. But something about this character endures, and the concept of a Green Lantern is transcendent enough that it has proven itself capable of being wrapped in real diversity. Sure, there used to be very vocal groups of "Hal only" supporters, but even they have diminished with time in acceptance of other prominent GL's - Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner and of course John Stewart.

This book is of course considered a bronze key, and even though it sells easily, this book is waiting to blow up to become a 4-digit standard in almost any slabbed grade. First, John Stewart's Green Lantern may actually have more widespread acceptance as the Green Lantern after being featured prominently for years in the Timmverse JLA cartoon. Let's face it, the character was terrific in that show. And because of it, people who only previously knew "Green Lantern" generically then knew him as "John Stewart, Green Lantern".

Next, while the failed Green Lantern movie didn't do much for the related GL books, it may eventually have the opposite effect on this one. For example, it makes sense to me that Warner Brothers will try for GL on film again - especially since they are moving films away from their two biggest IP's, and towards their tier two and three characters (Aquaman, Flash, and newly established anchor character, Wonder Woman). And so it makes sense that when they do embrace the Lantern again, it will be a different take than the Reynold's "Hal Jordan" movie. And not only is John Stewart a different take on GL, but this character satisfies both the liberal agenda of diversity as well as acceptance by an audience as simply being a tent-pole GL. It just makes sense at this point for John Stewart to become the anchoring Green Lantern on film.

Of course, this book has added content value, featuring the second appearance of Guy Gardner. The appearance of this cult-classic character only bolsters this book's status - draw parallels here to Giant Sized X-Men #1 - bunch of first and also the second Wolverine. Now given consideration to the idea that using Guy Gardner in a new Lantern film would create a great source of comedy relief character against straight-laced John Stewart on film.

Green Lantern #87 is an undervalued gem because it's current value amidst it's permanent key status makes it a great book to get in on. Copies of this book can be had in truly investment grade (slabbed 7.0's, a nice condition to enter high grade ownership, move on the market now for $300 to $400 bucks), and once that population dries up, collectors will turn to low grade copies just to get their foot in the door. In my opinion, in 4 years, 3.0's have $1k written all over them. I'd even make an argument that in slabbed 5.0 - 6.0 this could be a great hoard book. Given the character elements, growth potential, market availability and character recognition; this book becomes apparent as an undervalued gem even more so than other "branching character" books (for example, Rhodey related Iron Man issues). John Stewart is simply a better - actually a top tier character, and Green Lantern #87 is currently an undervalued gem.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

There is a newsstand version of Ultimate Fallout #4... but it currently shows up for sale less than the famous limited variant. Long term value on that newsstand will probably reflect the amount of people who know about it... and most people don't know about it yet.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I wasn’t aware of it and I’ve been all over that book from the beginning, as is documented on this board.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

New Gods vol 1 #1 | February, 1971
-1st Orion
-1st Lightray
-1st Metron
-1st High-Father
-1st Kalibak
-1st Parademons
-1st The Source
-1st Apokolipse & New Genesis (the planets)

This is the book that brought forward the bulk of Kirby's "Fourth World" material that later became, and remains, the cosmic underpinnings of the DCU. The Fourth World was Jack Kirby's Bronze-Era efforts and combining Pantheon mythology with Cosmic science for DC, and initially played out in the "New Gods", "Mister Miracle" and "The Forever People", and supports basically anything about DC's mega-villain, Darkseid.

The New Gods #1, specifically, is a fantastic key book that has seen more appreciation as of late, but in many ways remains incredibly undervalued. Consider the content: the number of introductions, the cosmic themes and also the kind of character archetypes that are present and New Gods #1 could be considered DC's analog book to "Iron Man #55" - it could only be a more perfect comparison if Apocalypse made his first appearance here rather than in "Jimmy Olsen". This book obviously stands on it's own as a DC mega-key, but it should also have a special place for dedicated Superman collectors. In that regard, I would say this book is a supporting Superman key in ways similar to how Strange Tales #135 is for Iron Man collectors. The DNA of this book is inextricable from any of the big Superman stories that involved Darkseid.

Additionally, these characters have made some noteworthy appearances in the Timm-Verse animation, as well as in the high quality DC Animated films. We've also already seen the Parademons on film twice now (and let's face it, they were awesome). This means that that the seeds of recognizability have been planted in pop culture for years now. There is also a New Gods movie in the works, with plans for Ava DuVernay to helm. These New Gods properties also fit the model of what has worked for DC on film recently, and it should be considered that other movies like Thor and Wonder Woman have primed the general movie goer for this kind of content. New Gods is a bet to gain wider pop-culture traction.

New Gods #1 is a jam packed book of 1st appearances and material that is incredibly relevant and long lasting in the DCU. The characters have seen cross-media pollination and there is a strong prospect for this to germinate even more with a New Gods movie planned. Also consider the publication date of New Gods #1 - it is one of the first Bronze Age key books, yet you can still pick up high grade copies for well under a four-figure sum. This is one of those books that has the potential for a Summer or two to go by and suddenly sales reach the four digit mark on a regular basis, and high-grade copies stretch to out of reach prices for the average collector. Consider the following factors given the content of this book: the number of first appearances, the story foundations laid out, and the relevance to any DC story featuring Darkseid; as well as the appearances of these IP's in multimedia in the past, and potentially on film and it is easy to see that New Gods #1 is an undervalued gem.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

What have key Thanos appearances been doing in value? He’s pretty much the biggest star of the Marvel movies right now, isn’t he?

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote:What have key Thanos appearances been doing in value? He’s pretty much the biggest star of the Marvel movies right now, isn’t he?
According to Avengers: Infinity War, there's a 1-in-14,000,605 chance he isn't "the biggest star" in the future. :hm:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I wonder if his key appearances have gone up in value over the last year or two.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I believe Star Brand back issues may be about to climb in price. Certainly, the first issue likely is.
An eBay seller has over the last several months sold three copies of Star Brand 1 in CGC 9.8 for about $100 each. He just listed his last copy for $139.99 OBO, which is an estimated $20 more than the previous three sold for. Those three were originally listed at $119.99 OBO, and all went for around $100-105.
When CGC copies of a comic book rise in value, it can act to raise the value of raw (non-professionally graded) copies of that same issue. In other words, if Star Brand 1 in CGC 9.8 continues to rise in price, ungraded 9.8 candidates will naturally increase in value.
It seems Star Brand running around in the 616 Universe, along with the Starbrand popping up seemingly all over the place in it could be making the original back issues increase in demand, and hence price.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

StarBrand wrote:I believe Star Brand back issues may be about to climb in price. Certainly, the first issue likely is.
An eBay seller has over the last several months sold three copies of Star Brand 1 in CGC 9.8 for about $100 each. He just listed his last copy for $139.99 OBO, which is an estimated $20 more than the previous three sold for. Those three were originally listed at $119.99 OBO, and all went for around $100-105.
When CGC copies of a comic book rise in value, it can act to raise the value of raw (non-professionally graded) copies of that same issue. In other words, if Star Brand 1 in CGC 9.8 continues to rise in price, ungraded 9.8 candidates will naturally increase in value.
It seems Star Brand running around in the 616 Universe, along with the Starbrand popping up seemingly all over the place in it could be making the original back issues increase in demand, and hence price.

Says the guy named StarBrand... :thumb:

I could see an uptick in New Universe characters...as you note, Marvel keeps recycling Star Brand and any mainstream media exposure will certainly increase interest.
After StarBrand do you see growing interest in any other New U characters...? Btw, it feels weird referring to them as New U 30 years later....
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Other New Universe characters, albeit mostly reimagined, are popping up in new Marvel issues, but nothing nearly as often as Star Brand is. There is the character Star Brand, and now a number of other characters seem to have Starbrands at various times. It really seems to be gaining momentum.
What I’m also looking at is the New Universe having had major influence on Valiant Comics. Wayne Tucker, who first appeared in Psi-Force #1, “pushed” people, and is the prototype for Peter Stanchek. I think at some point that will be recognized as being truly important. “The Clinic” which first appeared in D.P. 7 #1, is the model for the Harbinger Foundation. The head of the Clinic is the model for Harada.
At some point, I think the New Universe will be recognized for how important it was to comics, and I’d specifically state that I think STAR BRAND #1, PSI-FORCE #1, and DP 7 #1 are undervalued gems with huge upside.

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Does anybody know why there’s been a hike in the asking and selling prices for Lucio Parrillo regular and variant covers this summer? Some of his Red/Queen Sonjas from 7-10 years ago have suddenly become quite overpriced, in my opinion. Maybe the new Marvel Conan titles steered new people toward his old stuff?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

If The Life and Death of Toyo Harada is as good as I’ve heard people say it is, at some point it’ll take off in value. Especially in view of its print runs.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Tony_H wrote:Does anybody know why there’s been a hike in the asking and selling prices for Lucio Parrillo regular and variant covers this summer? Some of his Red/Queen Sonjas from 7-10 years ago have suddenly become quite overpriced, in my opinion. Maybe the new Marvel Conan titles steered new people toward his old stuff?

I think most people are now collecting his covers, he is joining ranks along with AH, JSC,Manara. Just for cover art alone

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Tony_H wrote:Does anybody know why there’s been a hike in the asking and selling prices for Lucio Parrillo regular and variant covers this summer? Some of his Red/Queen Sonjas from 7-10 years ago have suddenly become quite overpriced, in my opinion. Maybe the new Marvel Conan titles steered new people toward his old stuff?

Her first two appearances in Conan 23,24 were gaining some heat at the start of the year with a movie rumor.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Phoenix the Untold Story seems undervalued to me.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I’m surprised MARVELS, the Busiek/Ross series from 1994, isn’t worth more. I’m calling that as an undervalued gem of a series.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

StarBrand wrote:I’m surprised MARVELS, the Busiek/Ross series from 1994, isn’t worth more. I’m calling that as an undervalued gem of a series.
That series is great, but it isn't a single back issue mover because it's the kind of series that needs to be bought as a whole, given that it rehashes old canon. And even, it's still just a mini-series that is also readily available in trade a zillion times over.

However, if there was an argument to be made for this one, then the true undervalued gem for Marvels would have to be the Graphitti Designs trade cloth edition, limited to 8,500 copies with a signature plate by Busiek and Ross. That would be the true undervalued gem given the availability, the official sigs and the fact that it represents the entire iconic story.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I find that the comics that are revered as among the best of an era eventually eventually take off in price. And, although it’s a retelling, where else are you going to get Alex Ross art on the death of Gwen Stacy and the like?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I’ve always been fascinated with Onslaught. His first full appearance in X-Men Vol 2 #53 has performed well the last couple years, but I think it’s going to continue to do so.