Bloodshot Glass CGC 9.8 question

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Bloodshot Glass CGC 9.8 question

Post by magnus20009 »

I saw this on eBay today. A Bloodshot Glass CGC 9.8 pre-order

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLOODSHOT-RISI ... SwZs1b6-kV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Given that this book was just released today how can someone know that their copy will grade 9.8? Or are they just selling it now and will refund if it does not get that grade?

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham
Re: Bloodshot Glass CGC 9.8 question

Post by Juki »

Wow... that IS odd. I wonder if they bought several to send to CGC and just figure that they will get at least a few 9.8s ??

Usually the first 9.8 of a very limited Valiant comic sells at a premium.
Last edited by Juki on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:23:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

That's gotta be the answer. Submit it, and as soon as they get it back, they send it to you. Anything less than a 9.8, and you'll get a refund

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

I believe retailers all ordered lots of the glass covers by qualifying and then returning the regular covers so this store probably has enough that they know they will get some 9.8s

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

I hate to suggest it but the baseline for the book may be 9.9. So while that really hasn't happened before I don't think we can rule it out here.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

ckb wrote:I hate to suggest it but the baseline for the book may be 9.9. So while that really hasn't happened before I don't think we can rule it out here.
I dunno. In the copy I held, the lower left corner of the paper 'undercover' is kind of curved inwards, the spine was not straight. And when I looked on Ebay, other pictures showed the same thing. Not sure what CGC would do with that.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I dont think the glass cover will be worth much I think to meny were ordered.
I Miss the good old days.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

nonplayer wrote:I dont think the glass cover will be worth much I think to meny were ordered.
I just took a peek on eBay, 17 glass covers still on the shelf, prices are already starting to fall! Saw a couple asking $225ish for the book! This is just two days after the book was released, this could get ugly!
Moose

raiden
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by raiden »

I had asked for it in advance at one store, but the price was higher than I expected (not unreasonable though at $300), so I had to pass. I was told there were 18 others on the waiting list for the book. I know they still have at least one copy still available for sale, so either everyone else on the list passed too or they have a lot of copies....

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
nonplayer wrote:I dont think the glass cover will be worth much I think to meny were ordered.
I just took a peek on eBay, 17 glass covers still on the shelf, prices are already starting to fall! Saw a couple asking $225ish for the book! This is just two days after the book was released, this could get ugly!
You could say the price is shattering

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

There actually tons of presales like this for alot.of new comics

Not surprised at all. Just float around ebay you will see tons of presales cgc 9.8 or 9.6

apacseller
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

CGC has said they are not grading this at this time, but not sure if they plan to change that.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

apacseller wrote:CGC has said they are not grading this at this time, but not sure if they plan to change that.

Did CGC change their minds? I thought in the http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 9&start=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; thread they said they would be grading it.

apacseller
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

I might be wrong, but I called their Customer Service and they checked with someone and called me back to say no.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

apacseller wrote:I might be wrong, but I called their Customer Service and they checked with someone and called me back to say no.
HA

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

apacseller wrote:I might be wrong, but I called their Customer Service and they checked with someone and called me back to say no.
I just recently sent an email, awaiting their reply. This would greatly affect my desire to purchase any of the rest of these books. Does anyone else feel this way about them? I mean, Livewire looks great and all, as well as Toyo, but no slab is rough!
Moose

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
I just recently sent an email, awaiting their reply. This would greatly affect my desire to purchase any of the rest of these books. Does anyone else feel this way about them? I mean, Livewire looks great and all, as well as Toyo, but no slab is rough!
Confirmed, CGC will NOT grade books with glass covers.

Welp, regardless of whatever glass covers come out now, I will not collect them...
Moose

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:

Welp, regardless of whatever glass covers come out now, I will not collect them...
Sad news and a pretty big tomato on Valiant's face. This kind of thing was always buttoned up when Dinesh and co were in charge.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

syzhang28 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:

Sad news and a pretty big tomato on Valiant's face. This kind of thing was always buttoned up when Dinesh and co were in charge.
Yea, Dinesh worked hand in hand with CGC to ensure it met requirements. Sure, there was a bit of news, someone said that CGC wouldn't grade them, but that got worked out quickly. I'm hoping something gets done, but this doesn't bode well. Hoping we hear something from Valiant soon, but I'm not too sure we will (which would make me even more upset)
Moose

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:

Yea, Dinesh worked hand in hand with CGC to ensure it met requirements. Sure, there was a bit of news, someone said that CGC wouldn't grade them, but that got worked out quickly. I'm hoping something gets done, but this doesn't bode well. Hoping we hear something from Valiant soon, but I'm not too sure we will (which would make me even more upset)
What does that mean for those cgc glass covers being sold on ebay?

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

syzhang28 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:

What does that mean for those cgc glass covers being sold on ebay?
My guess, it won't happen. Still, it's WAAAY overpriced, as the last two auctions have shown a steep decline in price. This weekend, down to about $180. The one going on now, probably won't get much higher. Still, maybe there were wires crossed, I hope so, but I am not holding my breath. We were told they were going through the process with CGC, but then that news died off. Now this...
Moose

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

If I actually thought the cover art was any good if buy 1 no matter if cgc grades them

But I can't get past the art, terrible to my eye

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

corey wrote:If I actually thought the cover art was any good if buy 1 no matter if cgc grades them

But I can't get past the art, terrible to my eye
It's not just for this glass book, more for the future glass books. Livewire looks sharp, and I know there are a lot of people that are looking forward to the Toyo book.

I did have a bit of a conversation with Matt Klein, and he is looking into the matter
Moose

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

syzhang28 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:

I believe that Dinesh had a conversation with CGC after the metal covers were produced, at a con. Same thing happened with the glass cover, but initial discussions said yes, they could do it. I figure it’s probably an inner well issue.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

nycjadie wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:

I believe that Dinesh had a conversation with CGC after the metal covers were produced, at a con. Same thing happened with the glass cover, but initial discussions said yes, they could do it. I figure it’s probably an inner well issue.
Several members of the Valiant team from that period were involved in making sure CGC would grade the metal covers before we greenlit them. In fact, we altered several aspects of the cover to make it easier for CGC. CGC is an integral part of the collectible side of comics. Would not have produced the metal covers if CGC could not grade them.