Why did Jason Kothari exit Valiant?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

emitremmusneves
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 1992
Why did Jason Kothari exit Valiant?

Post by emitremmusneves »

Kothari's exit from Valiant was very mysterious and is long forgotten. He and Dinesh Shamdasani bought the rights to Valiant and worked together for many years to bring Valiant back and eventually relaunch comics in 2012. Strangely, right as they launched Jason Kothari stepped down with Dinesh taking on his duties. Strange timing as things were just starting to happen. Jason disappeared for a couple of years and then reemerged as CEO of something called Housing.com in India, which turned into another mess. Why isn't he involved at Valiant in any way despite all the success? And why did things take so long for Valiant Entertainment in the beginning.

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: Why did Jason Kothari exit Valiant?

Post by jxm640 »

Hi,

Welcome to the board.

Honestly, I don't know if anyone knows why he left Valiant in 2013.

There are a number of reasons that are possible:
A difference of opinion in terms of direction for the company.
Better opportunities elsewhere.
He possibly had a timed contract in regards to his position as CEO.
He failed to meet expectations and goals set by other members of the Valiant Entertainment Board.
and finally...He could have been pushed out by The Cuneo's.

If Dino (or someone with more knowledge than myself) is still lurking around the board, maybe they can enlighten the board.
This is what happens when you try to work...

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

I've asked Dinesh at conventions a few times and he politely avoids answering. No one else from Valiant is saying either but they also don't have any love for him. I think the answer is in your question. "then reemerged as CEO of something called Housing.com in India, which turned into another mess. "

Here's the only article I've ever been able to find that doesn't read like a press release about what Jason Kothari did after Valiant. I believe he has since gone on to make a mess of at least one other company since this article:

http://allthingsvaliant.blogspot.com/20 ... s-not.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

emitremmusneves

Yes. I was quoting that article. And also, from personal experience in the corporate space here, I've seen his incompetency first hand and lack of leadership skills. While having a sociopathic knack of blaming everyone else for his shortcomings.

What has shocked me though in all this is how he's rampantly used his experience at Valiant to get jobs here, taking credit for a lot of Shamdasani's work, bad mouthing him every opportunity he gets, and trying to make his role and impact at Valiant seem way bigger than it was.

I wonder why no one has called him out on his lies and coverups, or exposed who he really is.

All in all, a thorough con job.

emitremmusneves

As for all the articles on him reading like press releases, that's all he's been doing in India. Covering up for his incompetency by aggressively hiring PR agencies to "rebrand his image".

emitremmusneves

Bump.

Anyone else know more on the matter?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

emitremmusneves wrote:Bump.

Anyone else know more on the matter?
When we interviewed Dino for the OTV podcast, Jason's exit from VEI was one of very few topics - and may have been the only topic? - that he asked us not to bring up. I was left with the impression that Dino felt regret over the situation but never heard anymore said about it.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I do not have insider knowledge, but I will guess (for whatever that's worth, possibly nothing)...

Jason Kothari and Dinesh Shamdasani grew up together (as best friends(?)), but when they got to college, Dinesh went to USC film school and Jason went to Wharton Business at UPenn... opposite sides of the country.

So, having the opportunity to buy an entertainment company (Valiant) and work together was exciting for both of them, but for different reasons... creative (Dinesh) and business (Jason).

After a few years of Valiant work, primarily planning, legal, etc., it seems entirely possible that Jason was just ready to move on to another business challenge. Dinesh, being in it for the creative challenge, wasn't going anywhere.

I'm sure there are a million thoughts and feelings that go with that amount of time and work, but (again, just guessing) I'd say it might be as simple as Jason wanted business opportunities that he wasn't getting at Valiant.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

That's as good an explanation as any. Sounds plausible.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

jmatt wrote:That's as good an explanation as any. Sounds plausible.
Yeah sounds good but that's not the reason.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

emitremmusneves

Isn't it strange it's such a secret and mystery?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

People have falling outs all the time, and with business and marriage, it can be really personal, and the stories behind them are often times not that interesting, nor anyone's business really.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

nycjadie wrote:People have falling outs all the time, and with business and marriage, it can be really personal, and the stories behind them are often times not that interesting, nor anyone's business really.
this

:thumb:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

emitremmusneves

nycjadie wrote:People have falling outs all the time, and with business and marriage, it can be really personal, and the stories behind them are often times not that interesting, nor anyone's business really.
I agree completely. But in this case, he's bad mouthed Dino (whom I really look up to) a lot, which is not right. And Dino, on the other hand, has maintained his dignity and respected everyone's privacy on the matter.

myron
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

emitremmusneves wrote:
I agree completely. But in this case, he's bad mouthed Dino (whom I really look up to) a lot, which is not right. And Dino, on the other hand, has maintained his dignity and respected everyone's privacy on the matter.
That alone might be enough to show who is the better man... :wink:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

The truth is quite simple. Jason was upset that Warren and Dinesh wouldn’t bring back the X-O bike. So he left. :?
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

greg wrote:I do not have insider knowledge, but I will guess (for whatever that's worth, possibly nothing)...

Jason Kothari and Dinesh Shamdasani grew up together (as best friends(?)), but when they got to college, Dinesh went to USC film school and Jason went to Wharton Business at UPenn... opposite sides of the country.

So, having the opportunity to buy an entertainment company (Valiant) and work together was exciting for both of them, but for different reasons... creative (Dinesh) and business (Jason).

After a few years of Valiant work, primarily planning, legal, etc., it seems entirely possible that Jason was just ready to move on to another business challenge. Dinesh, being in it for the creative challenge, wasn't going anywhere.

I'm sure there are a million thoughts and feelings that go with that amount of time and work, but (again, just guessing) I'd say it might be as simple as Jason wanted business opportunities that he wasn't getting at Valiant.
If this was true i dont think everybody would be keeping quiet. not to mention the article about his dealings in india and the OP who seems to feel he was bad at his job also. it must have been ugly or embarrassing for Jason.

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

I personally have no knowledge of why, but I can say from personal experience, starting a business together with a friend can and often is a horrible idea. The problem is when creative differences emerge, different goals/agendas, financial responsibility in terms of spending, different views on how to best run the company, etc collide, it often leaves that friendship in tatters and dysfunction in the company. It also can run the other way that if for some reason a friendship sours for non-business reasons, now you have that toxicity in the business also.

For me personally, I was happy and ready to move on when someone offered me a significant profit from what I paid to start my business. The only part that irks me to this day is my ex-friend I started the business with has re-branded all of it as his idea, his vision, etc. He basically stole my intellectual ideas and successful management that made the company profitable and everyone now believes he's the reason it exists. Frustrating, especially when the business only launched because I fronted the money in the first place...He didn't have two nickles to rub together.

Point being, I'm sure several of the ideas people mentioned in this post, if not the full truth, ring close to some of the things that transpired and it was time for Jason to go.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

betterthanezra wrote:

-Brian
Some of us know why. Unfortunately it is private business between the owners (shareholders), Dinesh, and Jason, from some time ago. It would be inappropriate to comment publicly on this IMHO.
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.

betterthanezra
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

wrunow wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:

-Brian
Some of us know why. Unfortunately it is private business between the owners (shareholders), Dinesh, and Jason, from some time ago. It would be inappropriate to comment publicly on this IMHO.
That’s why it will stay private

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

emitremmusneves

Anyone else finds it strange/sad that Dinesh and co. have remained silent on the matter and respected its privacy, while Jason has done the exact opposite. As I'd mentioned before, it's shocking to hear the story he spins on Dinesh.

This isn't fair.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

emitremmusneves wrote:Anyone else finds it strange/sad that Dinesh and co. have remained silent on the matter and respected its privacy, while Jason has done the exact opposite. As I'd mentioned before, it's shocking to hear the story he spins on Dinesh.

This isn't fair.
Dino is being the bigger man, for whatever reason. Maybe he doesn't want to talk about it? Maybe he doesn't want to be known in the business as a guy who talks bad about previous colleagues? The silence says more than the slander to me.

Aram
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

Chiclo wrote:
emitremmusneves wrote:Anyone else finds it strange/sad that Dinesh and co. have remained silent on the matter and respected its privacy, while Jason has done the exact opposite. As I'd mentioned before, it's shocking to hear the story he spins on Dinesh.

This isn't fair.
Dino is being the bigger man, for whatever reason. Maybe he doesn't want to talk about it? Maybe he doesn't want to be known in the business as a guy who talks bad about previous colleagues? The silence says more than the slander to me.
In my personal experience Dinesh has always chosen his words carefully so as to never talk bad about anyone.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Aram wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

This isn't fair.
In my personal experience Dinesh has always chosen his words carefully so as to never talk bad about anyone.
He would not say *SQUEE* had he a mouthful.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Aram wrote:The truth is quite simple. Jason was upset that Warren and Dinesh wouldn’t bring back the X-O bike. So he left. :?
I'm pretty sure this is the reason. Has to be.