VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT November 2018 Solicitations

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa
VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT November 2018 Solicitations

Post by sonicdan »

https://www.newsarama.com/41464-valiant ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Re: VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT November 2018 Solicitations

Post by syzhang28 »

I think we've arrived at the month where DMG has run out of covers approved by Dinesh & co before they all left. There is a shocking drop in quality in covers this month. I mean those X-O Manowar covers, ouch.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Back to far fewer incentive variants. I like it!

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Q&W is ending at #12 like I said

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

not happy about Q&W ending. I don't see the point in publishing this book. It'll be 12 issues spread across 3 not-connected arcs and a couple 1 shots thrown in. Honestly why bother with this? I've been enjoying the series, don't get me wrong, but ending it here, just doesn't make any sense.

Rant over, here's what I'll be picking up:

Bloodshot Rising Spirit #1
Quantum & Woody #12
Shadowman #9
Ninja-K #13

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

syzhang28 wrote:I think we've arrived at the month where DMG has run out of covers approved by Dinesh & co before they all left. There is a shocking drop in quality in covers this month. I mean those X-O Manowar covers, ouch.
Yeah a few of those are... yikes! I do feel like we're up to the point where Dinesh's influence is gone. :( The creative team on the new titles, save for Raul Allen & Patricia Martin are, I dunno, rather standard fare? Not the refined work I've come to expect from Valiant.

*sigh*

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

syzhang28 wrote:I think we've arrived at the month where DMG has run out of covers approved by Dinesh & co before they all left. There is a shocking drop in quality in covers this month. I mean those X-O Manowar covers, ouch.
I had the same thought. Everyone of those Rising Spirit covers looks exactly the same. The Shadowman covers and couple of Q&W covers are alright, but the rest are just meh.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

BugsySig wrote:
I had the same thought. Everyone of those Rising Spirit covers looks exactly the same. The Shadowman covers and couple of Q&W covers are alright, but the rest are just meh.
My thoughts too

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I love the Massafera cover for Rising Spirit, but I’m biased. I liked it so much, I bought the Original art.

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

No more 1:50 variants, love it!

Q & A, ugh.... sorry to hear the title ending.

:rant:
I guess the ‘Most Variant Cover Of All Time’ didn’t gain any long term readership.... but hey!! Let’s beat a dead horse. Release a new glass 1:250 variant! That will get people buying Valiant, right?

sonicdan
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

nycjadie wrote:I love the Massafera cover for Rising Spirit, but I’m biased. I liked it so much, I bought the Original art.
:clap:
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I'll (probably) be getting everything except Faith.

I'm not really sure where a lot of you guys are coming from in regards to the covers. I think most of them are pretty good, and the A covers are actually real-standouts this month. I'm not a huge fan of Rocafort on covers, but I think X-O #12 might be my favorite so far. Zonjic keeps killing it on Shadowman covers. Faith's covers are surprisingly pretty, and Bloodshot PRS's A cover is amazing.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

nycjadie wrote:I love the Massafera cover for Rising Spirit, but I’m biased. I liked it so much, I bought the Original art.
It’s not the quality of the art, just that every cover is Bloody looking Hulked out on a plain background. That doesn’t create the diversity in covers that leads someone to want to chase a 1:25 or 1:50 necessarily. The Faith covers also seem very similar. That’s just a strange editorial decision.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

Now that Eric and Woody Henderson know they have what it takes to save the day, they finally have a shot at going pro – and they’re in luck, because UNITY might just be making a comeback! But the brothers aren’t ready for primetime just yet...they still have to audition for their spots, under the watchful eyes of G.A.T.E. and X-O Manowar!
Is the Quantum and Woody finale description (above) tongue in cheek or is it meant to imply a new, upcoming Unity series that Q&W would be a part of?

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I think the biggest thing I have noticed, there is absolutely no hype, no interest in any of these books. There has been zero hype surrounding these glass covers, no leaked sneak peak (like the metals), no drummed up hype, no one talking these up, showing just how cool they are, nothing that wows us, just bleh!

Very little hype pushing these new releases, beside the bot that generates Valiant's basic Twitter feed, and a few comic book review places that have talk about it, no one cares about these new releases.

This all falls on the absence of Dinesh, and what he brought to the table. He would have been pushing a little secret about a new Unity book (if there were to be one) about a month ago. Sharing Original Art from the previous Unity book, and ask the question "what does this have to do with Quantum and Woody?". People latched onto his every word, and the hype train followed.

That's gone, and no one is hyping any of the books, which is causing even the most staunch fan to waiver a little. Right now, I can't say I am excited about a Unity book, if there will be one. No one has told me why I should care. Right now, I am not as hyped as I should be that Livewire has an ongoing book coming out, because no one has gotten me excited about it. I could care less about this Bloodshot prequel.

Hype sells, this we know. Hype motivates, especially when it's a good product. How can one bring in new customers, when there isn't anything to get excited about? How do you keep the fans that are invested to keep coming back for more when there is nothing to get excited about?

Sure, it's all manufactured, but that's the point, it's real.

Would everyone have given the iPhone a shot, if the hype wasn't real? Sure, it was the new cool, but the hype that was pushed (by other people and by the company) sold more people than the actual product
Moose

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Agree'd.
Plus it's only six books! They can't be bothered to build hype up for six lousy books? If they don't care why should we?

:rant:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I noticed the Bloodshot PRS covers were all quite similar - not bad art individually, but they’re all the same basic composition as Bugsysig noted. Not very inspired.

I was just looking at Mico Suayan’s Facebook page this morning, he has been posting some pretty amazing Marvel cover art he’s been doing. I saw that he has actually listed himself as a “Former Valiant Artist” on his profile there. Seems so... *permanent*... :cry:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Zhuge1 wrote:
Now that Eric and Woody Henderson know they have what it takes to save the day, they finally have a shot at going pro – and they’re in luck, because UNITY might just be making a comeback! But the brothers aren’t ready for primetime just yet...they still have to audition for their spots, under the watchful eyes of G.A.T.E. and X-O Manowar!
Is the Quantum and Woody finale description (above) tongue in cheek or is it meant to imply a new, upcoming Unity series that Q&W would be a part of?
I was wondering that too - I would love to see a new Unity team book happen (not by Kindt though, please!)
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

BugsySig wrote:
It’s not the quality of the art, just that every cover is Bloody looking Hulked out on a plain background. That doesn’t create the diversity in covers that leads someone to want to chase a 1:25 or 1:50 necessarily. The Faith covers also seem very similar. That’s just a strange editorial decision.
I've kind of always felt this way about the relaunch, even back in 2012. There are exceptions, but generally, the covers do not speak to the actual story. We've had some conversations about this on the boards. When you have 6 books and 22 covers, part of that will just happen, I think.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

nycjadie wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
I've kind of always felt this way about the relaunch, even back in 2012. There are exceptions, but generally, the covers do not speak to the actual story. We've had some conversations about this on the boards. When you have 6 books and 22 covers, part of that will just happen, I think.
Agreed. Its definitely a modern era comic trend / industry standard across all publishers to do generic cover art that doesn’t reflect the stories specifically. A byproduct of hiring illustrators to do cover art independently of the sequential artists doing the interiors. You can have a career as an artist just doing covers now, that never really happened decades ago. Sometimes it works and we get great cover art imagery, and sometimes it doesn’t and we get generic imagery.

The Outcast
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Shadowman and Livewire
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Too many!
Favorite artist: Too Many

Post by The Outcast »

I think the Shadowman covers have all be top notch since the start of this run, and this month is no different. I think the quality is fine.
Pulls:
Valiant: Shadowman, Coffin: La Muerta

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:not happy about Q&W ending. I don't see the point in publishing this book. It'll be 12 issues spread across 3 not-connected arcs and a couple 1 shots thrown in. Honestly why bother with this? I've been enjoying the series, don't get me wrong, but ending it here, just doesn't make any sense.

Quantum & Woody #12
Shadowman #9
Ninja-K #13
No XO!? :o

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

grendeljd wrote: Agreed. Its definitely a modern era comic trend / industry standard across all publishers to do generic cover art that doesn’t reflect the stories specifically. A byproduct of hiring illustrators to do cover art independently of the sequential artists doing the interiors. You can have a career as an artist just doing covers now, that never really happened decades ago. Sometimes it works and we get great cover art imagery, and sometimes it doesn’t and we get generic imagery.
Reason #879 why the comics industry is continually shrinking and depending more and more on milking hardcore fans at the expense of going for a wider appeal.

I've always been against variant covers for a number of reasons. One reason is that they overuse the 'money shots' for each character to the point that they lose all power. How many times have we seen X-O in a lunging or standing pose with his lightning sword? (that he hardly ever uses in the actual comic) 100+ covers like that by now? Now that image is so overdone that it has no impact. Even if it's used in a dramatic point of the story, they've taken the specialness out of the 'money shot'.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:not happy about Q&W ending. I don't see the point in publishing this book. It'll be 12 issues spread across 3 not-connected arcs and a couple 1 shots thrown in. Honestly why bother with this? I've been enjoying the series, don't get me wrong, but ending it here, just doesn't make any sense.

Quantum & Woody #12
Shadowman #9
Ninja-K #13
No XO!? :o
I get XO in trade :thumb:

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

The David Mack cover is fantastic, but I think all his artwork is great.