Undervalued Gems

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Undervalued Gems

Post by greg »

Warrior #1 (1982 UK Magazine) - 1st V for Vendetta and a pre-Miracleman #1 version of Miracleman

Flaming Carrot #16 (1986, Renegade Press) - 1st Mystery Men (awesome parody of superhero movies ahead of its time, it would be a hit today) - may become a modern movie cult classic (it is for me). There's a chance you can still find these under $5, then sell them to me if they are high grade. :D

Cry For Dawn (1989-1992) turns 30 years old next year. All of the #1 - #9 books are worth grabbing, including variants, because it's such a small side interest that fits well with whatever other books you like, and if your wife objects, tell her it's vintage art, since it qualifies as antique. The regular Dawn series that came after was heavily printed, but Cry For Dawn was pre-1990s explosion.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

I just received a copy of a newstand edition for Teen Titans #44 (1st Nightwing/ Deathstroke's origin).
I payed less than 30 Euros for it, plus shipping. White pages, prob a VF+ copy.

This to say, I think this book is very easy to get right now, at good prices. When that TT show starts this year, might not be that way at all.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

greg

Post by greg »

Marvel Super Special #16 (magazine-sized comic) - Spring 1980 - Empire Strikes Back: first comic appearances of Yoda, Boba Fett, Lando Calrissian - all before they appeared in the original Star Wars comics (#39-#44 are in the Super Special).

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

greg wrote:Marvel Super Special #16 (magazine-sized comic) - Spring 1980 - Empire Strikes Back: first comic appearances of Yoda, Boba Fett, Lando Calrissian - all before they appeared in the original Star Wars comics (#39-#44 are in the Super Special).
Interesting. I didn't know this.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

greg

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote:
greg wrote:Marvel Super Special #16 (magazine-sized comic) - Spring 1980 - Empire Strikes Back: first comic appearances of Yoda, Boba Fett, Lando Calrissian - all before they appeared in the original Star Wars comics (#39-#44 are in the Super Special).
Interesting. I didn't know this.
I was very surprised when I found out, too. Star Wars #39 might be around the same time as the Super Special #16, but #40 through #44 are technically reprints... including the all-important Star Wars #42. It's a reprint.

There are actually four different "comic-related" ways to define the "first appearance of Boba Fett" (and Yoda, and Lando Calrissian).

First, there was a small graphic novel - a 221-page paperback - 4"x7" which is dated May 1980. It is the comic story, very small, with an early design for Yoda (looks like a Tolkien character).
Unless something changes, 4"x7" 221-page paperbacks haven't been considered "comics" but that's the earliest "comic-related" book.

Then the "Spring 1980" Marvel Super Special #16, which is magazine-sized, and CGC does grade them (similar to first appearance of Rocket Raccoon in Marvel Preview #7).
Since this book doesn't have the earlier design for Yoda, it's reasonable to say that it came later... but "Spring 1980" doesn't allow it to be much later than May 1980.

Also dated "Spring 1980" is Marvel Special Edition 2: The Empire Strikes Back, which is treasury-sized (10"x14", larger than magazines), and those aren't (yet) professionally graded.

All three of these May/Spring 1980 comic-related books also use the same cover art... they are just different sized books (same comic art inside) that go by different names.
The 221-page paperback contains more pages than either of the larger books, but the larger books include the main (first appearance) characters of Empire Strikes Back.

Fourth, there is Star Wars #42 - the "traditional" (comic-sized) book given credit for "first appearance of Boba Fett", but it is dated December 1980.
If we're tempted to celebrate Star Wars #42 as the "first Boba Fett cover", that would also be wrong.
The Empire Strikes Back Weekly #129 is from August 1980.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Empi ... Weekly_129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The latest trailer for the upcoming Han Solo movie had me thinking about the first appearances.
Han Solo is on the cover of Star Wars #1 (1977) but he isn't in the comic. He first appears in Star Wars #2 (including the Greedo story).
Chewbacca is of course in the new movie. Chewie first appears in Star Wars #2.
Lando Calrissian will be in the Han Solo movie, and his first appearance is the same as Boba Fett's... these books being discussed.

From a "screen-time" perspective, we may quickly have more Lando movie canon than we have for Boba Fett.

Chewbacca is the most visible character from the movies, since he's in Episodes III-IX, and he'll be in the Han Solo movie. If Chewie hadn't appeared in the comics until Star Wars #6 or something, rather than being in #2 (already the first full Han, first full Obi Wan), we'd probably be looking at the Chewbacca first appearance as a major book on its own.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Has anyone noticed any of these books going up in price since they were recommended?

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

StarBrand wrote:Has anyone noticed any of these books going up in price since they were recommended?
:funnypost: :lol:
Multum In Parvo

greg

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote:Has anyone noticed any of these books going up in price since they were recommended?
Feb. 2016 - My first recommendation in the topic: Adventure Comics #283 (1961, 1st Zod):
CGC 8.5 had just sold for $837 in Feb. 2016 - the most recent sale for CGC 8.5 was $1,495 (+79%)
CGC 7.5 had just sold for $504 in Jan. 2016 - the most recent sale for CGC 7.5 was $695 (+38%)
CGC 6.0 had just sold for $277 in Jan. 2016 - the most recent sale for CGC 6.0 was $427 (+54%)

Feb. 2016 - My second recommendation in the topic: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (1984, First printing):
CGC 9.4 had sold Dec. 2015 for $5,038 (mentioned in my post) - the last sale for CGC 9.4 was $9,999 (+98%)
The CGC 9.4 for $9,999 might be an outlier, but the prior sale was $7,566, which is still +50% over 2016.
CGC 9.8 had sold most recently for $14,938 when I posted about high grade TMNT #1.
The most recent sale of CGC 9.8 was $38,240 (last month) which is +156%.

Feb. 2016 - My third recommendation was Star Wars #2 (1st Han Solo, 1st Obi-Wan Kenobi, 1st Chewbacca):
CGC 9.8 in Jan. 2016 was $335, the most recent sale was $500 and the 90 day average is $464 (+39%)

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

What about Eternals #1? I know someone mentioned 2 years ago Eternals #2 because of the Celestial appearance, but Eternals #1 is technically the first appearance of the Eternals (or one of them) and also the first appearance of the Deviants. If rumor is to believed that an Eternals movie is in the works, I would think #1 would be of more interest both as the 1st book in the line and the first appearance of two key elements (Eternals and Deviants) of the Eternals stoyline.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

greg wrote:
Feb. 2016 - My first recommendation in the topic: Adventure Comics #283 (1961, 1st Zod):
CGC 8.5 had just sold for $837 in Feb. 2016 - the most recent sale for CGC 8.5 was $1,495 (+79%)
CGC 7.5 had just sold for $504 in Jan. 2016 - the most recent sale for CGC 7.5 was $695 (+38%)
CGC 6.0 had just sold for $277 in Jan. 2016 - the most recent sale for CGC 6.0 was $427 (+54%)

Feb. 2016 - My second recommendation in the topic: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (1984, First printing):
CGC 9.4 had sold Dec. 2015 for $5,038 (mentioned in my post) - the last sale for CGC 9.4 was $9,999 (+98%)
The CGC 9.4 for $9,999 might be an outlier, but the prior sale was $7,566, which is still +50% over 2016.
CGC 9.8 had sold most recently for $14,938 when I posted about high grade TMNT #1.

Feb. 2016 - My third recommendation was Star Wars #2 (1st Han Solo, 1st Obi-Wan Kenobi, 1st Chewbacca):
CGC 9.8 in Jan. 2016 was $335, the most recent sale was $500 and the 90 day average is $464 (+39%)
I knew I should have acted on these! They’re still good investments now, Greg?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

markie7235 wrote:What about Eternals #1? I know someone mentioned 2 years ago Eternals #2 because of the Celestial appearance, but Eternals #1 is technically the first appearance of the Eternals (or one of them) and also the first appearance of the Deviants. If rumor is to believed that an Eternals movie is in the works, I would think #1 would be of more interest both as the 1st book in the line and the first appearance of two key elements (Eternals and Deviants) of the Eternals stoyline.
Nice!

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

StarBrand wrote:
markie7235 wrote:What about Eternals #1? I know someone mentioned 2 years ago Eternals #2 because of the Celestial appearance, but Eternals #1 is technically the first appearance of the Eternals (or one of them) and also the first appearance of the Deviants. If rumor is to believed that an Eternals movie is in the works, I would think #1 would be of more interest both as the 1st book in the line and the first appearance of two key elements (Eternals and Deviants) of the Eternals stoyline.
Nice!
Yeah, sadly people have taken notice and almost all 1st appearance of any Marvel character is shooting up in value on speculation

For the Eternals books though, there were a lot of 1st appearances in the first several books of the original series. I don't recall them all, but I know #1 was the Deviants and Ikaris, #2 was the Celestials (or one of them specifically) and Ajak, #3 I think was Sersi, #4 I believe was Marraki, Zuras, and Thena, etc

Not sure what the price is on many of these currently, but if there really is an Eternal movie in the works, many of the early issues could see prices rise since the characters didn't all introduce in a single book. NM - to NM+ for #1 are now going $75 to over $100 ungraded. Doesn't look like some of the other early books (aside from #2) are seeing the same jumps yet, but could see it happening

As to why an Eternals movie seems likely, I know it's been talked about on other sites, but the Infinity War movie provided some references that could indicate an Eternals movie, such as when Red Skull calls Thanos the son of xxxx (i forget the name of the Eternal), who also happens to be Mentor. So why call his father by his Eternals' name instead of Mentor.

Also, Guardians of the Galaxy is supposedly done after the 3rd installment, so that would mean no cosmic cast in the MCU...Not that there needs to be one, but some of the more world-threatening entities come from the more cosmic domain, so lends credence to a new cosmic hero franchise coming out. Obvious candidates would be Adam Warlock, Eternals, Nova, etc.

greg

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote:
greg wrote:

Hard to say if these are still good investments, since a few of them have more than doubled. :hm:

I haven't bought any more of these recently, if that's any indicator. :D

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

I still think Werewolf by Night 32 (1st Moon Knight) or even Marvel Spotlight 5 (1st Ghost Rider) are undervalued. You look at some of the iconic Marvel characters that 1st appeared in the early/mid 70's, and at least based on number of graded copies of both of these books, these seem to have had much lower printings than let's say an Amazing Spider-Man 129 or Hulk 181. And yet both of these books in a high-mid to high grade can be had for around $700-$1,800....Compare that to something like Harbinger 1 w/ coupon that despite being hard to find in a 9.8, still has plenty of copies in circulation in lower grades.

Do an eBay search for WBN 32 or Marvel Spotlight 5, and you'll get significantly less returns than Harbinger #1, or other modern books like Amazing Spider-Man 300 or New Mutants 98 that are going for way more money. And it's pretty much a given at this point that Moon Knight will either get a Netflix series or a movie (most likely Netflix given the much darker r-rated tone), not to mention WBN 32 is a pretty iconic cover that has had several homages done over the years, including Archie #1 and I believe even the recent Shadowman series one of the #1 variants was an homage to this book. I still see this one going higher

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Interesting analysis, markie7235! You make good points.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

greg wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
greg wrote:

Hard to say if these are still good investments, since a few of them have more than doubled. :hm:

I haven't bought any more of these recently, if that's any indicator. :D
I’d say that’s definitely an indicator!

greg

Post by greg »

I recently did find an undervalued gem, but it's not an easy one to stockpile for the future. :D

Action Comics #1 is the first appearance of Superman, start of the superhero era, the Golden Age, etc., etc., and even a VG- copy (about a CGC 3.5) would cost more than $500,000.

So, I think this book is undervalued since it's rarer than Action Comics #1, two years earlier than Action Comics #1, and has a very interesting note on the right side of the CGC label:

"1st Superman prototype in comics."

:o

That's not as good as "1st Superman" so I don't think the book should be anywhere near $500,000. So it's nothing like Action #1.
Maybe more like a CGC 2.5 Action Comics #7 which has sold for $70,000+.
A CGC 1.5 Action Comics #13 sold for $26,000+.
The CGC 3.5 Comics Magazine #1 is definitely a very cool book to include in the discussion of Superman's history.
Why haven't more people heard about this book before? Possibly because there are so few copies and it's 82 years old. Who even knew?
Older, rarer, Siegel & Shuster prototype for Superman. Undervalued? :hm:

It just sold for under $6,000...

:o :o

... to me.

:twisted:

greg

Post by greg »

markie7235 wrote:I still think Werewolf by Night 32 (1st Moon Knight) or even Marvel Spotlight 5 (1st Ghost Rider) are undervalued. You look at some of the iconic Marvel characters that 1st appeared in the early/mid 70's, and at least based on number of graded copies of both of these books, these seem to have had much lower printings than let's say an Amazing Spider-Man 129 or Hulk 181. And yet both of these books in a high-mid to high grade can be had for around $700-$1,800....Compare that to something like Harbinger 1 w/ coupon that despite being hard to find in a 9.8, still has plenty of copies in circulation in lower grades.

Do an eBay search for WBN 32 or Marvel Spotlight 5, and you'll get significantly less returns than Harbinger #1, or other modern books like Amazing Spider-Man 300 or New Mutants 98 that are going for way more money. And it's pretty much a given at this point that Moon Knight will either get a Netflix series or a movie (most likely Netflix given the much darker r-rated tone), not to mention WBN 32 is a pretty iconic cover that has had several homages done over the years, including Archie #1 and I believe even the recent Shadowman series one of the #1 variants was an homage to this book. I still see this one going higher
I like the analysis, but I'll have to disagree... for now.

ASM #129 is the first Punisher, who not only already has a well-received Netflix series, he was a very big deal at various points in the past four decades of comics. I think every Marvel series during the big 1990s was either a Wolverine or Punisher crossover, guest star, etc.

You say that Werewolf By Night #32 (1st Moon Knight) is undervalued at $700-$1,800 for high-mid to high grade. You can still get ASM #129 for those prices. Until ASM #129 goes significantly higher, I don't see any reason why WBN #32 will. Moon Knight means nothing outside of comics yet, and Moon Knight means nothing to non-Marvel fans within comics. So, if WBN #32 is a good buy right now, and it might be... I still think ASM #129 has more room to grow. The Punisher has 40 years of popularity above Moon Knight, but the prices are currently (and surprisingly) similar.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

greg wrote:I recently did find an undervalued gem, but it's not an easy one to stockpile for the future. :D

Action Comics #1 is the first appearance of Superman, start of the superhero era, the Golden Age, etc., etc., and even a VG- copy (about a CGC 3.5) would cost more than $500,000.

So, I think this book is undervalued since it's rarer than Action Comics #1, two years earlier than Action Comics #1, and has a very interesting note on the right side of the CGC label:

That's not as good as "1st Superman" so I don't think the book should be anywhere near $500,000. So it's nothing like Action #1.
The CGC 3.5 Comics Magazine #1 is definitely a very cool book to include in the discussion of Superman's history.
Why haven't more people heard about this book before? Possibly because there are so few copies and it's 82 years old. Who even knew?

... to me.

Interesting book!

greg

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote:
greg wrote:I recently did find an undervalued gem, but it's not an easy one to stockpile for the future. :D

... to me.

Interesting book!
I've already had two collectors tell me to let them know when I'm ready to sell. :high-five:

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

greg wrote:
markie7235 wrote:I still think Werewolf by Night 32 (1st Moon Knight) or even Marvel Spotlight 5 (1st Ghost Rider) are undervalued. You look at some of the iconic Marvel characters that 1st appeared in the early/mid 70's, and at least based on number of graded copies of both of these books, these seem to have had much lower printings than let's say an Amazing Spider-Man 129 or Hulk 181. And yet both of these books in a high-mid to high grade can be had for around $700-$1,800....Compare that to something like Harbinger 1 w/ coupon that despite being hard to find in a 9.8, still has plenty of copies in circulation in lower grades.

I like the analysis, but I'll have to disagree... for now.

ASM #129 is the first Punisher, who not only already has a well-received Netflix series, he was a very big deal at various points in the past four decades of comics. I think every Marvel series during the big 1990s was either a Wolverine or Punisher crossover, guest star, etc.

You say that Werewolf By Night #32 (1st Moon Knight) is undervalued at $700-$1,800 for high-mid to high grade. You can still get ASM #129 for those prices. Until ASM #129 goes significantly higher, I don't see any reason why WBN #32 will. Moon Knight means nothing outside of comics yet, and Moon Knight means nothing to non-Marvel fans within comics. So, if WBN #32 is a good buy right now, and it might be... I still think ASM #129 has more room to grow. The Punisher has 40 years of popularity above Moon Knight, but the prices are currently (and surprisingly) similar.
I actually don't disagree with you on ASM #129....Though as to how much more room it has to grow, who knows. It's gotten the movie treatment, Netflix treatment, etc, so it's not an unheard of character. That said, the Punisher has been a popular character since day 1 and this issue has continued to go up ever since, so while I don't see any drastic jumps in price year over year, it's a solid book to own and have in your collection.

My point on WBN#32 was more that because it (at least seemingly) had a much smaller print run and Moon Knight is relatively unknown outside of Marvel fans currently, that this book has a lot of room to grow if a successful movie or show is produced....and all indications of that happening are high, just no one knows when. Inside Marvel fans, MK has been a popular character for some time and WBN #32 is sought after by them already. As for comparison to ASM 129 or Hulk 181, I was more referencing you can get a WBN #32 in let's say 7.5+ condition for around the same price as let's say an ASM 129 in 6.5 condition. A WBN 32 in 9.0 will run you around $1500-$2000, and 9.4+ around $3,000-$4,000....An ASM 129 in 9.0 or better is going to cost you much more. So while both are nice books to own in any mid-high grade, if I am looking to spend under $1,200 than I would take the ASM 129 in a mid-mid high grade. But if I am looking to get a book in high grade without spending $10,000+, I would grab a WBN 32 as it has not yet seen the spike of some of the other characters introduced in the 70s that appeared in books with much higher print runs.

And I haven't really touched on Marvel Spotlight #5 that introduced Ghost Rider, who is definitely not an "unknown" outside of Marvel circles. This book is incredibly reasonably priced in mid to higher grades, was fairly low print, and introduced a rather iconic Marvel character. He also got the movie treatment (albeit poor movies) and you can still grab a copy for $500-$1,200 in a nice mid to mid high grade. This one honestly surprised me

More importantly, I see people often reference other Marvel books like Nyx 3 (X-23) or Avenging Spider-Man 9 (Captain Marvel), and people are buying these very modern books for prices similar to what you could get nice copies of a Marvel Spotlight 5, WBN 32, or ASM 129 and I just shake my head. Not to say Nyx or ASM 9 are bad books, but for my $$$ I'd rather pick up the 1st appearance of iconic Marvel characters from an era that is now 40+ years past and where books were not always shown the care and respect deserved. These older books are not going to get any easier to find, while finding an ASM 9 in mint condition isn't all that hard.

greg

Post by greg »

markie7235 wrote:More importantly, I see people often reference other Marvel books like Nyx 3 (X-23) or Avenging Spider-Man 9 (Captain Marvel), and people are buying these very modern books for prices similar to what you could get nice copies of a Marvel Spotlight 5, WBN 32, or ASM 129 and I just shake my head. Not to say Nyx or ASM 9 are bad books, but for my $$$ I'd rather pick up the 1st appearance of iconic Marvel characters from an era that is now 40+ years past and where books were not always shown the care and respect deserved. These older books are not going to get any easier to find, while finding an ASM 9 in mint condition isn't all that hard.
Now you're talking. I don't like WBN 32 compared to ASM 129, but I definitely like it compared to recent books. There will only be so many "next big things" in Marvel and DC, so all these books with the first appearances of "maybes" are only a good deal if you can get them for $5 or $10. Paying $500+ for "not really a star yet" is nuts when you can get actual stars for the same price. :thumb:

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

I have an opinion on ASM 129 versus WBN 32. I have always wanted a higher grade slabbed ASM 129 and recently purchased one. As I was looking through eBay and comiclink I also checked the prices of other 1970's key books in case I couldn't quite afford my ASM. WBN 32 has pretty much caught up with ASM 129 in the higher grade CGC book prices. The only reason in my opinion is completely speculation. This has recently (2-3 years) been the king of speculation books. I just don't understand why. Moon knight is cool but not a punishers level. Punisher is an icon. I believe in 10 years looking back ASM will be way ahead of WBN in value to the same ratio that Hulk 181 is to ASM 129. Also to address the original subject matter I think Iron Fist 14 is undervalued. You can find a CGC 9.6 for around $700. Sabretooth will pop up again in the new X-men movies and he is too "cool" of a character too miss. Also, the cover to IF 14 is awesome. Great colors.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

greg

Post by greg »

Summydad1 wrote:Also to address the original subject matter I think Iron Fist 14 is undervalued. You can find a CGC 9.6 for around $700. Sabretooth will pop up again in the new X-men movies and he is too "cool" of a character too miss. Also, the cover to IF 14 is awesome. Great colors.
Iron Fist 14 has two problems which won't keep it from increasing, but they are important to note. 1st, Sabretooth is a villain. Villains don't grow in value like heroes (unless they lead a movie and can destroy half a universe). They settle in price behind their contemporary heroes/headliners. 2nd, IF 14 has a rare 35-cent price variant. The regular 30-cent cover is "the cheap one" and seeing a big value increase while being "the cheap one" is tough. The variant has no ceiling in price, but the regular is stuck being 2nd best.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

greg wrote:(unless they lead a movie and can destroy half a universe)
Just because movie Thanos is a villain does not mean that Thanos is a villain in the comics.