Strikeforce Morituri

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Strikeforce Morituri

Post by grendeljd »

Anybody here a fan of the old Marvel comic Strikeforce Morituri? I don't know if it quite counts as a dead universe or not, but since it was essentially a self-contained world separate from Marvel continuity that hasn't been in publication for over 20 years, I thought it fits here.

Man, this comic had such a huge impact on me as a kid. The first 20 issues by Peter B Gillis & Brent Anderson were a real gem. I think it was pretty unique for a comic published in 1986 - not many titles in its day had such a good fusion of sci-fi & superhero concepts.

For those who don't know of it, the story is set in the near future, years after an alien race of plunderers invade earth and leave it largely intact after defeating any military threats, in order to simply allow humans to provide them with a replenishing supply of loot. Whenever humans attempt to retaliate against these aliens, they strike back brutally using fear tactics but never destroying too much. They are kind of like psychopathic tourists who come to Disney World and fall in love with all the movies, characters etc. - they want more of the entertainment & kill anyone who tries to kick them out.

Eventually a scientist developes a process that creates random superpowers in human subjects by replacing their metabolism with an artificial one. The side effect of this is that anyone who goes through the process is guaranteed to die within a year, and it happens more quickly to those with greater powers. As a result, main characters die frequently.

My description may not be doing the concept justice, it's handled in a very touching manner. All the main characters are fairly young (to survive longer, ideally), and there is a full range of emotional reaction from them all at having basically volunteered to die in order to try and defeat the aliens. Gillis is a really great writer, I wish he had done more comics after this series.

I also think it is some the best artwork Brent Anderson has ever done.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Re: Strikeforce Morituri

Post by StarBrand »

I haven't read any of these issues, but always wondered about this series. I appreciate your taking the time to recap the concept. I have to check it out. :thumb:
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Btw, did you see that Marvel came out with a dollar reprint of the first issue of this series earlier this year, and then TPBs of the series?

schnuth
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1802

Post by schnuth »

I loved this series. As a kid I was a sucker for first issues. After the first I picked up Strikeforce Morituri until the drug store stopped carrying it. I
had to buy the rest years later after having access to a comic shop. It's an amazing series. Unfortunately it goes to crap after the original creators left.

The new trades Marvel put out earlier this year are really good. Sure the original issues are super cheap, but the art reproduction in the trades look so much better IMHO. I'd love to see this series and concept come back. It's one of those best comics you've probably never read. :)

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I appreciate the recommendation. I will try it. Do the trades reprint the entire series?

Jac13
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by Jac13 »

Yup! It has the entire series and the mini-series that followed after the series was ended. Bought all three trades a couple of weeks back. Still have not finished the third one since the change in direction of the series after the original writer left was very jarring. I would recommend picking up the first and second trade. Can't comment on the third since I haven't finished it yet.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Jac13 wrote:Yup! It has the entire series and the mini-series that followed after the series was ended. Bought all three trades a couple of weeks back. Still have not finished the third one since the change in direction of the series after the original writer left was very jarring. I would recommend picking up the first and second trade. Can't comment on the third since I haven't finished it yet.

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a mini released after the regular series ended.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:
Jac13 wrote:Yup! It has the entire series and the mini-series that followed after the series was ended. Bought all three trades a couple of weeks back. Still have not finished the third one since the change in direction of the series after the original writer left was very jarring. I would recommend picking up the first and second trade. Can't comment on the third since I haven't finished it yet.

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a mini released after the regular series ended.
The mini was called Electric Undertow - it was a 5 part series of graphic novels. I completely agree with Jac13 & schnuth - the series basically tanked after #20. The new creative team just... didn't get it. Too many absurd ideas, the art is mostly awful & the flavour of the concept & setting was lost. I'm still missing a few issues between 21-31, and I don't really care if I ever find them, lol! [oh who am I kidding - I still want a complete set]

I saw the reprint of #1 in recent years, it had some world background extras that were originally in #13. I didn't get the trades because I still prefer to hunt originals, and I already have most of it. There is also apparently a Strikeforce Morituri movie in the works... and Gillis is scripting it! I hope it gets made...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I'm planning on trying the first issue, to see if I like the series. Shounds like I should get the reprint? Is that the one Marvel sold for a buck cover price?

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Didn't Whilce Portacio do his first Marvel work on this series?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

kjjohanson wrote:Didn't Whilce Portacio do his first Marvel work on this series?
I believe it was his first Marvel work, yes. He drew #10 & #16.

#10 is such a great issue, it is a flashback to the first generation of Morituri [that we never see until then, other than briefly as footage of their one & only mission shown to the second generation].

StarBrand wrote:I'm planning on trying the first issue, to see if I like the series. Shounds like I should get the reprint? Is that the one Marvel sold for a buck cover price?
The reprint of #1 is a buck, but if you dig around in bargain bins, you'll probably find the original for the same price. It'll grab ya, I swear. The first issue I read as a kid was #3 and it was actually quite shocking to me, the aliens raided a town & harvested human heads. They experimented on keeping the heads alive by inflicting pain via electro-shock & attached them to robots which they sent back to earth to fight the Morituri. This was done in retaliation for the most recent attack on the Horde. Talk about psychological warfare!!.

I used to draw so many things based on all the awesome imagery of this series. I think it still influences me now, if not directly then as a source of inspiration to draw.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Here's the wikepedia page if anyone wants to read up on the series before buying anything. Its pretty extensive. AND spoiler heavy, so don't get into it too much if you want to enjoy reading the comics first!

*Note how many characters there are listed in section 3. Its insane - but I can promise that at least in the first 20 issues, you will care about most of them!!

rasputin9977
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by rasputin9977 »

I have the entire series including the mini but haven't read it yet. Glad to know I won't be disappointed with it.

I heard that this series was supposed to take place in Marvel's New Universe line. Anyone know what happen?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

rasputin9977 wrote:I have the entire series including the mini but haven't read it yet. Glad to know I won't be disappointed with it.

I heard that this series was supposed to take place in Marvel's New Universe line. Anyone know what happen?
That's interesting, I never heard that one. It really stands on its own as a separate, self-contained universe, I think. [There is an issue where they find a stash of alien loot that includes the giant penny from the Batcave among other iconic 'comic book universe' objects, but this was meant as a visual joke, not to be taken seriously. I remember being annoyed rather than amused by it as a teen, it really pulled me out of the story for a moment & I still don't think it was an appropriate 'joke' within the flavour of the story otherwise]

I'd be really curious to hear your opinion on the series when you do read it.

rasputin9977

Post by rasputin9977 »

Well I read the 31 issues plus the 5 issue mini. Awesome series. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. You don't see so many heroes die in a series so I was very surprised how often a character died. I enjoy super hero genre more than anythign else so I liked the last story arc more than the previous story arc; since they were fighting super villains instead of aliens. The mini sucked though. I guess it did give the series some closure but I just didn't enjoy it. I don't know where I got that it was supposed to be part of the New Universe but now that I read it, there is no way it could have fit into the NU, especially since it takes place 100 years in the future. Anyway, a fun series to read. I hope Marvel visits this universe again sometime. So many great characters to just leave in limbo.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

rasputin9977 wrote:Well I read the 31 issues plus the 5 issue mini. Awesome series. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. You don't see so many heroes die in a series so I was very surprised how often a character died. I enjoy super hero genre more than anythign else so I liked the last story arc more than the previous story arc; since they were fighting super villains instead of aliens. The mini sucked though. I guess it did give the series some closure but I just didn't enjoy it. I don't know where I got that it was supposed to be part of the New Universe but now that I read it, there is no way it could have fit into the NU, especially since it takes place 100 years in the future. Anyway, a fun series to read. I hope Marvel visits this universe again sometime. So many great characters to just leave in limbo.
Glad you liked it :thumb:

I stand by my statement that #1-20 is the best of the run, but thats cool that you enjoyed the last few issues of the book [though I still haven't read them all - I'm missing a couple toward the end]. I fully agree, that Electric Undertow mini was not very good. They should never have found a proper 'cure' for the Morituri Effect, thats what made it great.

Astounding how much you grow to care for so many characters when they all die off so quickly, isn't it? I'd love to see them revisit the series too, although I think Gillis has retained the rights to it, so its unlikely to happen if thats the case. If I recall correctly, he hasn't written a comic since Strikeforce Morituri #20...

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

I've seen these in quarter bins for years, but never really gave them much thought. Sounds really good and I think my next convention I might try to pick up a run if I can. Thanks for the recommendation, Grendeljd!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Revisiting this thread 5+ years later...

From a completely random chance conversation on Facebook, I managed to find & talk to Peter B. Gillis! I've been kind of hoping to find him online somewhere over the years to let him know how much I loved this comic... I found him on Twitter a few years ago but he wasn't using it much at the time.

Looks like he's been more active as a comic writer again lately and making some guest appearances at a couple of conventions. He told me he is still trying to pitch Strikeforce as a TV series, which would be utterly amazing to see happen.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Recently found an article about Strikeforce in an old issue of Marvel Age (#45). Here's some pics of the article in case anyone is curious to read it;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Just bought a run of 1-20 of this series on eBay. Can’t wait to read it!