VALIANT JUNE 2018 SALES

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
VALIANT JUNE 2018 SALES

Post by TheFerg714 »

Sorry, there just wasn't a thread yet and I thought you guys might want to talk about it.

190- X-O Manowar 16 - 8,728 (Still good numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it plummeted by the end of this arc)

201- Shadowman 4 - 7,978 (Probably not a good thing that this dropped 2k on the first issue of a new arc)

202- Bloodshot Salvation 10 - 7,950

204- Harbinger Wars II 2 - 7,840 (this thing's gonna hit 5k by #4... facepalm )

224- Ninja-K 8 - 6,613 (only dropped 100, but this is just sad. Valiant's best book is somehow one of it's worst sellers. I hate the comic industry more and more every month)

261- Quantum & Woody! 7 - 5,008 (very small drop, so I guess that's good. Sucks that Q&W is the best it's ever been, and yet selling the worst. Not wholly unsurprising though)

335- Valiant High 2 - 3,110

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: VALIANT JUNE 2018 SALES

Post by Ryan »

TheFerg714 wrote:Sorry, there just wasn't a thread yet and I thought you guys might want to talk about it.

190- X-O Manowar 16 - 8,728 (Still good numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it plummeted by the end of this arc)

201- Shadowman 4 - 7,978 (Probably not a good thing that this dropped 2k on the first issue of a new arc)

202- Bloodshot Salvation 10 - 7,950

204- Harbinger Wars II 2 - 7,840 (this thing's gonna hit 5k by #4... facepalm )

224- Ninja-K 8 - 6,613 (only dropped 100, but this is just sad. Valiant's best book is somehow one of it's worst sellers. I hate the comic industry more and more every month)

261- Quantum & Woody! 7 - 5,008 (very small drop, so I guess that's good. Sucks that Q&W is the best it's ever been, and yet selling the worst. Not wholly unsurprising though)

335- Valiant High 2 - 3,110
I don't find it very surprising, as I've been reading some of these recent issues after having not read any Valiant for a few years and while I always find them to be professionally done I feel a lack of direction or 'hook' to get me excited about the character/storyline. I can see how casual fans with no connection to the characters would dip out.

I have a feeling that some people see these numbers and say "See, the Valiant characters are just 3rd tier and can never support a fanbase of more than 10,000" which I disagree with. I don't think it's a problem with the characters.

Also remember these are just the numbers shipped to stores, not actually sold to a customer, and retailers have to place orders 3 months in advance. For example Shadowman 4 is the first one that was ordered after retailers could see how many Shadowman # 1's were actually bought and how many were sent to the storeroom.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Share of Overall Dollars
Marvel 38.42%
DC 30.54%
Image 10.46%
Dark Horse 3.23%
IDW 2.46%
Dynamite 2.10%
Boom 1.62%
Viz 1.18%
Oni 1.09%
Titan 0.87%
Aftershock 0.68%
Random House 0.61%
Valiant 0.48%
St. Martins 0.45%
Hachette 0.45%
Archie 0.36%
Action Lab 0.34%
Zenescope 0.31%
Heavy Metal 0.30%
Other 3.68%

That seems especially low and during a 'big summer event'. I guess it's all about getting movies and/or tv series going though? Seems maybe it kind of always has been. I really don't see how anything announced in 'Valiant Next' is going to move these numbers up in any way. Not trying to be 'Doom and Gloom' just observing.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

This is not good. I wish I was wrong about being all doom and gloom about DMG but I've seen this before and I can see who they are. Hell, we all have, they are just Acclaim. I think the new line up of books is easily the least inspired. It's just more of the same. Under Dinesh and Warren, Valiant always had one or two unexpected things in every line up. The market share is very low for the big summer comic selling months.
Ryan wrote:Share of Overall Dollars
Marvel 38.42%
DC 30.54%
Image 10.46%
Dark Horse 3.23%
IDW 2.46%
Dynamite (sucks!) 2.10%
Boom 1.62%
Viz 1.18%
Oni 1.09%
Titan 0.87%
Aftershock 0.68%
Random House 0.61%
Valiant 0.48%
St. Martins 0.45%
Hachette 0.45%
Archie 0.36%
Action Lab 0.34%
Zenescope 0.31%
Heavy Metal 0.30%
Other 3.68%

That seems especially low and during a 'big summer event'. I guess it's all about getting movies and/or tv series going though? Seems maybe it kind of always has been. I really don't see how anything announced in 'Valiant Next' is going to move these numbers up in any way. Not trying to be 'Doom and Gloom' just observing.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

The share isn’t great as for some time they were hovering around 1%. That’s double this month’s share. Partially due to the bump DC and Marvel get for their summer events, but still a big reduction.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

It's not just the share. Valiant has been a top ten publisher i think every month under Dinesh and company. Now they are not.

Also, look at Aftershock who are built on copying Valiant but now they are bettering Valiant. Good for them, I like their books but Valiant should be ashamed at being out done by a publisher who doesn't have the benefit of the characters Valiant has.

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

syzhang28 wrote:It's not just the share. Valiant has been a top ten publisher i think every month under Dinesh and company. Now they are not.

Also, look at Aftershock who are built on copying Valiant but now they are bettering Valiant. Good for them, I like their books but Valiant should be ashamed at being out done by a publisher who doesn't have the benefit of the characters Valiant has.
aftershock has the benefit of name creators putting out books that image normally would've snatched up. They don't have the shared universe to worry about, just 'is this a good story--awesome, put it out, tons of variants, low print run.'

They've earned my trust.

But I come to Valiant for that shared universe. I'll probably wean myself off of Aftershock binging soon, and just come back to buying the creators or plots that sound interesting. Whereas with Valiant, I'm buying everything... and will so long as the quality remains.

IF aftershock sullies their 'brand' with a couple of Dead Drops, what reason is there to trust them outside of a creator's name?

That's kind of what happened with Vertigo, they had a string of duds and have to relaunch, because even with how good the few titles they've put out the last year or so have been they still lost that audience to Image... and now Aftershock.

All this talk of sales, last month and this, I think it's important to think about how stores advertise Valiant titles, or if they even shelve them. You can't get more sales each month if you aren't getting more stores involved with stocking your product... and together like the Big Two get. I really think Valiant needs to think outside the box as far as promotions go. No one is going to buy the book if it's not on the shelf.

All variants do is incentivize the guy already buying one copy to buy a second. So if that's your whole market plan then you're not really reaching anyone, just banking on your loyal customers and hoping that next #1 hooks more than your regular following...

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I’d like to see the new guys, Joe Illidge and Mel ?, focus a bit more on Valiant and a bit less on other companies’ books on Twitter. They certainly not bringing in the hype like Dinesh could.

I agree that the Valiant Next initiative isn’t that enthralling but I’ll wait to read the books first. Looking at the twitter activity of the new guys I’ve a slight concern the books will take an even further lean to the political left than under Dinesh/Warren, hopefully they’ll keep their personal politics out and just focus on quality stories.

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

syzhang28 wrote:This is not good. I wish I was wrong about being all doom and gloom about DMG but I've seen this before and I can see who they are. Hell, we all have, they are just Acclaim. I think the new line up of books is easily the least inspired. It's just more of the same. Under Dinesh and Warren, Valiant always had one or two unexpected things in every line up. The market share is very low for the big summer comic selling months.
Ryan wrote:Share of Overall Dollars
Marvel 38.42%
DC 30.54%
Image 10.46%
Dark Horse 3.23%
IDW 2.46%
Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) 2.10%
Boom 1.62%
Viz 1.18%
Oni 1.09%
Titan 0.87%
Aftershock 0.68%
Random House 0.61%
Valiant 0.48%
St. Martins 0.45%
Hachette 0.45%
Archie 0.36%
Action Lab 0.34%
Zenescope 0.31%
Heavy Metal 0.30%
Other 3.68%

You do know that Warren and Dinesh were still at Valiant when orders for these comics were made. So the doom and gloom of DMG aren't responsible for Junes print run. Maybe the writing was on the wall with DMG forcing out Dinesh, but this is still a result of their time at Valiant. So how about some common sense and less hysterics regarding the future of Valiant. Lets see what is coming out in the future. And lets see how they market the future storylines before we all write this off as Acclaim V2. All these stories arent created in the last few months. They are a year in the making, so im not sure how DMG are responsible for what is in the stores right now. Give it a rest.
It was just announced the marketing manager had returned to Valiant, so thats a step in the right direction. With his previous experience at Valiant, he'll know what works and doesnt work.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I’d like to see the new guys, Joe Illidge and Mel ?, focus a bit more on Valiant and a bit less on other companies’ books on Twitter. They certainly not bringing in the hype like Dinesh could.

I agree that the Valiant Next initiative isn’t that enthralling but I’ll wait to read the books first. Looking at the twitter activity of the new guys I’ve a slight concern the books will take an even further lean to the political left than under Dinesh/Warren, hopefully they’ll keep their personal politics out and just focus on quality stories.
What are you going on about bro? I'm just as skeptical about the far left infiltrating Valiant (and apparently every other entertainment company), but I check both of their Twitter feeds every once in a while, and I'm really not seeing any of this type of stuff.

That said, Illidge's past CBR articles sure do give me something to worry about.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I’d like to see the new guys, Joe Illidge and Mel ?, focus a bit more on Valiant and a bit less on other companies’ books on Twitter. They certainly not bringing in the hype like Dinesh could.

What are you going on about bro? I'm just as skeptical about the far left infiltrating Valiant (and apparently every other entertainment company), but I check both of their Twitter feeds every once in a while, and I'm really not seeing any of this type of stuff.

That said, Illidge's past CBR articles sure do give me something to worry about.
IllIdges tweets/likes/retweets can occsssionsly be anti-Trump in tone, or that’s the impression I get and the new writer on Livewire identifies as ‘non binary’ or something like that, but as I said as long as they keep their personal politics out of the books then their viewpoints don’t concern me.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:

IllIdges tweets/likes/retweets can occsssionsly be anti-Trump in tone, or that’s the impression I get and the new writer on Livewire identifies as ‘non binary’ or something like that, but as I said as long as they keep their personal politics out of the books then their viewpoints don’t concern me.
Eh, anti-Trump rhetoric is the name of the game right now. As long as they're not going overboard with it, I don't have a problem with it. Vita Ayala does make me very nervous though. She's obviously very obsessed with politics. For a while, her description said she makes "fiercely political" comics. Then again, she's a block-botter and has me blocked for literally no reason so that really doesn't engender much good will from me. What does she expect potential fans to think when they go and look her up just to see that she doesn't give a s*** about whether you buy her comic or not. I'm dropping the book asap if she makes Livewire a lesbian activist.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

This is always the problem when they hire people from the general comics industry and not people who actually have a specific passion for the Valiant characters. Valiant is a tiny, almost personal universe and only works when the hardcore passion is there. Birthquake, VH2, etc. etc. all failed when general comic pros were brought in to do their normal 'paycheck' work for Valiant. Valiant would work better if you could get a handful of passionate, talented ppl who live, eat and breathe these characters and put them in a garage with some drawing tables and corkboard. My point is the universe is so small, it's silly to have marketing teams and corporate structure. Just make really great, cohesive comics and people will line up to read them. I think that ship has sailed though.
TheFerg714 wrote: Eh, anti-Trump rhetoric is the name of the game right now. As long as they're not going overboard with it, I don't have a problem with it. Vita Ayala does make me very nervous though. She's obviously very obsessed with politics. For a while, her description said she makes "fiercely political" comics. Then again, she's a block-botter and has me blocked for literally no reason so that really doesn't engender much good will from me. What does she expect potential fans to think when they go and look her up just to see that she doesn't give a s*** about whether you buy her comic or not. I'm dropping the book asap if she makes Livewire a lesbian activist.
The problem with blocking thousands of people you don't even know just because they follow someone you don't like or they might think something you disagree with is that if you work for a company you're also representing everyone else who works there. If that makes a number of people not buy the book, it will also affect the entire creative team's ability to make a living and the entire company who has invested into this book. By hiring someone who block-bots it means that by implication Valiant agrees with blocking people for 'wrongthink'.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

For someone that doesn't want to read about politics you sure do bring up politics a lot. :roll:

People who like Trump say they support him because he talks like an ignorant butthole. Then when people say he's ignorant and talks like a butthole they lose their *SQUEE*.

You think these two black people aren't going to use their platform to counter the hate and vile lies this idiot vomits daily?

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Maybe we will get lucky and Dinomite (sucks) will get the charaters. Im having a hard time not feeling doom and gloom
I Miss the good old days.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

The Chosen 1 wrote:You do know that Warren and Dinesh were still at Valiant when orders for these comics were made. So the doom and gloom of DMG aren't responsible for Junes print run. Maybe the writing was on the wall with DMG forcing out Dinesh, but this is still a result of their time at Valiant. So how about some common sense and less hysterics regarding the future of Valiant. Lets see what is coming out in the future. And lets see how they market the future storylines before we all write this off as Acclaim V2. All these stories arent created in the last few months. They are a year in the making, so im not sure how DMG are responsible for what is in the stores right now. Give it a rest.
I'm sorry, what? Are you saying that Harbinger Wars II would have gone down the exact same way, even if DMG hadn't forced out Dinesh? I guarantee there would have been way more (and better) marketing, Heisserer would still be at Valiant, and HWII would be drastically different. For one, it would still be a double-sized, double-story, four-issue mini. Which is actually smart and unique, unlike what we're getting now. VEI was never perfect (post-Shadowman), but they never flubbed something on this scale before.

I agree that we should wait and see what the new books are like, but it's just not a good lineup.

The Chosen 1

Post by The Chosen 1 »

TheFerg714 wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:You do know that Warren and Dinesh were still at Valiant when orders for these comics were made. So the doom and gloom of DMG aren't responsible for Junes print run. Maybe the writing was on the wall with DMG forcing out Dinesh, but this is still a result of their time at Valiant. So how about some common sense and less hysterics regarding the future of Valiant. Lets see what is coming out in the future. And lets see how they market the future storylines before we all write this off as Acclaim V2. All these stories arent created in the last few months. They are a year in the making, so im not sure how DMG are responsible for what is in the stores right now. Give it a rest.
I'm sorry, what? Are you saying that Harbinger Wars II would have gone down the exact same way, even if DMG hadn't forced out Dinesh? I guarantee there would have been way more (and better) marketing, Heisserer would still be at Valiant, and HWII would be drastically different. For one, it would still be a double-sized, double-story, four-issue mini. Which is actually smart and unique, unlike what we're getting now. VEI was never perfect (post-Shadowman), but they never flubbed something on this scale before.

I agree that we should wait and see what the new books are like, but it's just not a good lineup.
What im saying is that LCS' have to put in orders three months in advance. Dinesh was still at Valiant them so the numbers reflect his time at the company. The marketing for this to LCS would have been organised and ready to roll out longer than three months. So yes, the numbers would have been the same. This is not an overnight process so the size and number of issues was sorted months and months ago, so anything we now is pre DMG. From next month on we'l start seeing the DMG effect.

As for good lineups, i'll wait and see. The stories could be great, or we could have another Dead Drop.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:

For someone that doesn't want to read about politics you sure do bring up politics a lot. :roll:

People who like Trump say they support him because he talks like an ignorant butthole. Then when people say he's ignorant and talks like a butthole they lose their *SQUEE*.

You think these two black people aren't going to use their platform to counter the hate and vile lies this idiot vomits daily?
I talk about politics when I identify people in comics using the medium to spread agendas and influence the political views of the reader. How about they just focus on writing good stories and have the best interests of the characters and the company at the centre of what they do. Seem fair?

Let’s be fair to Joe and Vita, we haven’t seen any Trump type characters or people getting ‘gendered’ since DMG took over and hopefully none of that stuff will happen.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

The Chosen 1 wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:

What im saying is that LCS' have to put in orders three months in advance. Dinesh was still at Valiant them so the numbers reflect his time at the company. The marketing for this to LCS would have been organised and ready to roll out longer than three months. So yes, the numbers would have been the same. This is not an overnight process so the size and number of issues was sorted months and months ago, so anything we now is pre DMG. From next month on we'l start seeing the DMG effect.

As for good lineups, i'll wait and see. The stories could be great, or we could have another Dead Drop.
I dont buy it. We saw the dmg affect affect a while ago. Hw2 is now a longer thing with less money paid by the company in 4 issues. Its still 4 issues just decomoressed. And I think its to buy them some time and make more off 6 issues instead of 4.
Second Valiant high was made physical to cash in on stuff already made.
It feels to me bloodshot has been slowed down too.
With Dinesh in the helm we had constant excitment and announcments. Noe nothing since dmg took over except for a bunch of books we didnt ask for.
I also belive alpha is a missed oportunity and negates the hw2,0issue. Dmg has done alot and lost alot of creative minds

The Chosen 1

Post by The Chosen 1 »

nonplayer wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:

I dont buy it. We saw the dmg affect affect a while ago. Hw2 is now a longer thing with less money paid by the company in 4 issues. Its still 4 issues just decomoressed. And I think its to buy them some time and make more off 6 issues instead of 4.
Second Valiant high was made physical to cash in on stuff already made.
It feels to me bloodshot has been slowed down too.
With Dinesh in the helm we had constant excitment and announcments. Noe nothing since dmg took over except for a bunch of books we didnt ask for.
I also belive alpha is a missed oportunity and negates the hw2,0issue. Dmg has done alot and lost alot of creative minds
Ok well, thats your opinion, and a speculative opinion at best. It seems like everyone is intent on blaming DMG, that they look through rose coloured glasses on whats actually happened. Yhe fact is that Dinesh and Warren were still here up until a few months ago and were calling the shots. Maybe they were influenced to make certain decisions, but Warren was still the editor. Marketing and planning arent an overnight thing, so these would have put in place possibly a year ago. And i have no idea what youre talking about HW2. Yeah, originally it was going to be 6 issues, instead now its four. So what? The story movies quicker. TThen you complain that Bloodhot has been slowed down. You're having it each way. And everyone is sooking about how Bad Harbinger Renegades is. I suppose DMG was responsible for that too? Im enjoying HW2 and Renegades. Everything you've said is emotional based.
You think DMG organised HW2? In the last few months since theyve taken over? If you think that, then we should give them credit for organising everything so quickly. The bunch of books we didn't ask for? Do you still pine for Solar, Magnus and Turok? Or do you want Valiant to explore new characters and stories? Sorry, but you sound like you're stuck in VH1. While its sad what happened, im looking for ward to seeing where the company goes. A lot of creative minds have moved on, and lets see what creative minds come to Valiant. Everyone is complaining about DMG and idolising Dinesh like hes the second coming. Its sad what happened to Dinesh, but i buy the comics because the comics, not Dinesh. Im excited that there are going to be movies. Lets be rational about whats happened and not emotional.

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Ryan wrote: I don't find it very surprising, as I've been reading some of these recent issues after having not read any Valiant for a few years and while I always find them to be professionally done I feel a lack of direction or 'hook' to get me excited about the character/storyline. I can see how casual fans with no connection to the characters would dip out.
This nails my current sentiment about the Valiant universe. It needs some editorial direction and consistency.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

The Chosen 1 wrote:Ok well, thats your opinion, and a speculative opinion at best. It seems like everyone is intent on blaming DMG, that they look through rose coloured glasses on whats actually happened. Yhe fact is that Dinesh and Warren were still here up until a few months ago and were calling the shots. Maybe they were influenced to make certain decisions, but Warren was still the editor. Marketing and planning arent an overnight thing, so these would have put in place possibly a year ago. And i have no idea what youre talking about HW2. Yeah, originally it was going to be 6 issues, instead now its four. So what? The story movies quicker. TThen you complain that Bloodhot has been slowed down. You're having it each way. And everyone is sooking about how Bad Harbinger Renegades is. I suppose DMG was responsible for that too? Im enjoying HW2 and Renegades. Everything you've said is emotional based.
You think DMG organised HW2? In the last few months since theyve taken over? If you think that, then we should give them credit for organising everything so quickly. The bunch of books we didn't ask for? Do you still pine for Solar, Magnus and Turok? Or do you want Valiant to explore new characters and stories? Sorry, but you sound like you're stuck in VH1. While its sad what happened, im looking for ward to seeing where the company goes. A lot of creative minds have moved on, and lets see what creative minds come to Valiant. Everyone is complaining about DMG and idolising Dinesh like hes the second coming. Its sad what happened to Dinesh, but i buy the comics because the comics, not Dinesh. Im excited that there are going to be movies. Lets be rational about whats happened and not emotional.
HW2 was announced to have four double-sized issues with two full stories, one by Kindt/Giorello and one by Heisserer/Allen in October 2017. The official buyout occured the following January (although I'm sure there were things happening behind the scenes prior to the announcement). In February it was announced that HW2 was moving to six issues, completely getting rid of the original format, adding two prologue/epilogue issues, and losing Heisserer. Do you seriously think that DMG had NOTHING to do with this? I don't think anyone is saying that Dinesh and co. were perfect. We all experienced A+A, Renegade, and Dead Drop, but VEI ALWAYS nailed their events. Changing HW2 so drastically, so close to the release date would be highly abnormal for VEI. Like nonplayer said, it's obvious that DMG extended HW2 to six issues to try to squeeze a little more money out of it.

Now sure, HW2 might have sucked, even if this whole buyout fiasco never happened, but I think it's pretty clear that the format would not have been changed, if not for DMG.

It's also very suspect that people like Lemire, Heisserer, and Kibblesmith all left around the same time, as well as most of upper management. You say that we're looking through rose-colored glasses, but it's like you're doing the opposite. There's sketchy stuff going on right now, and it's like you're refusing to see it. I think it's cool that you're staying positive and going to give the new books a shot (I am too), but don't act like it's some crazy conspiracy to think that DMG is driving Valiant into a hole.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

TheFerg714 wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:Ok well, thats your opinion, and a speculative opinion at best. It seems like everyone is intent on blaming DMG, that they look through rose coloured glasses on whats actually happened. Yhe fact is that Dinesh and Warren were still here up until a few months ago and were calling the shots. Maybe they were influenced to make certain decisions, but Warren was still the editor. Marketing and planning arent an overnight thing, so these would have put in place possibly a year ago. And i have no idea what youre talking about HW2. Yeah, originally it was going to be 6 issues, instead now its four. So what? The story movies quicker. TThen you complain that Bloodhot has been slowed down. You're having it each way. And everyone is sooking about how Bad Harbinger Renegades is. I suppose DMG was responsible for that too? Im enjoying HW2 and Renegades. Everything you've said is emotional based.
HW2 was announced to have four double-sized issues with two full stories, one by Kindt/Giorello and one by Heisserer/Allen in October 2017. The official buyout occured the following January (although I'm sure there were things happening behind the scenes prior to the announcement). In February it was announced that HW2 was moving to six issues, completely getting rid of the original format, adding two prologue/epilogue issues, and losing Heisserer. Do you seriously think that DMG had NOTHING to do with this? I don't think anyone is saying that Dinesh and co. were perfect. We all experienced A+A, Renegade, and Dead Drop, but VEI ALWAYS nailed their events. Changing HW2 so drastically, so close to the release date would be highly abnormal for VEI. Like nonplayer said, it's obvious that DMG extended HW2 to six issues to try to squeeze a little more money out of it.

Now sure, HW2 might have sucked, even if this whole buyout fiasco never happened, but I think it's pretty clear that the format would not have been changed, if not for DMG.

It's also very suspect that people like Lemire, Heisserer, and Kibblesmith all left around the same time, as well as most of upper management. You say that we're looking through rose-colored glasses, but it's like you're doing the opposite. There's sketchy stuff going on right now, and it's like you're refusing to see it. I think it's cool that you're staying positive and going to give the new books a shot (I am too), but don't act like it's some crazy conspiracy to think that DMG is driving Valiant into a hole.
Thanks for articulating my points better.