X-O Manowar [2017] #16 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
X-O Manowar [2017] #16 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Harbinger Wars II #2, & Quantum & Woody [2017] #7], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr169/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: X-O Manowar [2017] #16 Discussion

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Enjoyed this tale from Arics’s past. Kindt weaving an interesting story here and I understand why he’s gone this route whilst HW2 is on. Hairsine’s art is a welcome addition (as was last month’s issue). Looking forward to seeing how this arc plays out before Aric’s gets back to current timeline.

4/5 - Solid read

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Sorry, I just don't get this at all. Why do I always get the feeling when I read this X-O book that the last thing Kindt wants to write is an X-O Manowar book? X-O is not a historical drama about a no-personality Conan clone and the social injustices of 4th century Italy. I get that it's his backstory, but to me there has to be a really compelling reason or a really great story to spend any time in his past. I'm not seeing that here.

I also question the timing of this kind of arc. X-O is the only book that seems to have kept a little momentum after the relaunch, holding steady at around 10,000 I think. Throwing a whole arc into the past with no seeming relevance to the current story kills all the momentum (imo) and more casual readers will drift away.

I understand that they don't want to cross storylines with HW2, but for one thing Kindt is writing both so how hard would it be? And he had already been out in space for the entire series so they could have just kept him there with a small note saying 'this takes place before HW2'.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Ryan wrote:Sorry, I just don't get this at all. Why do I always get the feeling when I read this X-O book that the last thing Kindt wants to write is an X-O Manowar book? X-O is not a historical drama about a no-personality Conan clone and the social injustices of 4th century Italy. I get that it's his backstory, but to me there has to be a really compelling reason or a really great story to spend any time in his past. I'm not seeing that here.

I also question the timing of this kind of arc. X-O is the only book that seems to have kept a little momentum after the relaunch, holding steady at around 10,000 I think. Throwing a whole arc into the past with no seeming relevance to the current story kills all the momentum (imo) and more casual readers will drift away.

I understand that they don't want to cross storylines with HW2, but for one thing Kindt is writing both so how hard would it be? And he had already been out in space for the entire series so they could have just kept him there with a small note saying 'this takes place before HW2'.
Not to sound snarky here or anything, but how do you not get this story line? From the beginning, Kindt told you what kind of book it was going to be, where he was going with all of this story. Why does Aric always find himself in war? From the moment he lands on Gorin, he ends up in a fight (FCBD, 2017). He then gets drafted and is off to war, he becomes Emperor.... War always finds him, or should I say he always finds war or a reason to fight. Why? This arc is really answering this fundamental question, and I think it's brilliant!

I mean, even Clayton Crain's run, where it's extremely dark, symbolized his rise to the Emperor, and the fall from that position, so that he could find another conflict. It's his fundamental flaw, one that he just can't seem to fix. In this arc, we find the root of exactly what Aric is doing time and time again, except he's not on a foreign planet, it's his own back yard. The armor is spelling out his flaw, trying to point out what Aric is doing wrong by showing him his memories/ his history.
Moose

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Not to sound snarky here or anything, but how do you not get this story line? From the beginning, Kindt told you what kind of book it was going to be, where he was going with all of this story. Why does Aric always find himself in war? From the moment he lands on Gorin, he ends up in a fight (FCBD, 2017). He then gets drafted and is off to war, he becomes Emperor.... War always finds him, or should I say he always finds war or a reason to fight. Why? This arc is really answering this fundamental question, and I think it's brilliant!

I mean, even Clayton Crain's run, where it's extremely dark, symbolized his rise to the Emperor, and the fall from that position, so that he could find another conflict. It's his fundamental flaw, one that he just can't seem to fix. In this arc, we find the root of exactly what Aric is doing time and time again, except he's not on a foreign planet, it's his own back yard. The armor is spelling out his flaw, trying to point out what Aric is doing wrong by showing him his memories/ his history.
I guess since I'm a more casual reader I don't see the deeper themes he's been developing. This is the beginning of a whole new arc, so it should be able to be enjoyed on it's own as well. I just think if they're going to do so much X-O without his armor, then Aric and the storyline better be darn compelling, I'm just not feeling it in this issue.

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Ryan wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote: Not to sound snarky here or anything, but how do you not get this story line? From the beginning, Kindt told you what kind of book it was going to be, where he was going with all of this story. Why does Aric always find himself in war? From the moment he lands on Gorin, he ends up in a fight (FCBD, 2017). He then gets drafted and is off to war, he becomes Emperor.... War always finds him, or should I say he always finds war or a reason to fight. Why? This arc is really answering this fundamental question, and I think it's brilliant!

I guess since I'm a more casual reader I don't see the deeper themes he's been developing. This is the beginning of a whole new arc, so it should be able to be enjoyed on it's own as well. I just think if they're going to do so much X-O without his armor, then Aric and the storyline better be darn compelling, I'm just not feeling it in this issue.
The background here doesn't really add to that at all, I am in 100% agreement with you. Just too much filler/backstory in these recent valiant books rather than pushing character forward and developing new stories all around. With this young of a universe there's no reason to do this all the time. If it were one odd issue it'd be one thing but it's fairly consistent across the line these days.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

Ok, on one hand I get that people want X-O back on earth interacting with the other Valiant characters. With his exploits on Gorin for a year I can understand other fans disappointment.
Personally, I don’t feel that way. I’m just happy that a X-O comic is still be produced. Think of how the Rai and Eternal Warrior fans feel now that their character doesn’t have a ongoing monthly title. I’m happy to follow X-O adventures where ever they lead. Although..., I’m ever eager to see X-O have an adventure with another X-O armor... any one from the Dead Hand storyline would be great.
So, take away the timing of the release of this ‘past’ storyline and let’s judge it in and of itself....
I feel this ‘before the armor’ storyline is very bold and what makes Valiant different than other comic companies. Not many companies would take a chance on releasing a storyline of their hero without the ‘special’ ability or in the character’s alter ego, especially in the regular comic, not some one shot or miniseries. It’s like a storyline of Superman where he’s just Clark Kent or Tony Stark without the Iron Man Suit.
I like the story so far.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

While I enjoyed the issue and the arc, I, too, am wondering a little bit about where this is headed. Maybe that's a good thing.