Batman Wedding Controversy (Probably Spoileriffic)

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Batman Wedding Controversy (Probably Spoileriffic)

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

Been having a blast reading the fan response on Reddit to DC's purposeful leak of Batman #50's plot point.

There's been a lot of complaints about HW2's so far, but would you rather have had an event with 49 variants, tie ins and more pretty much gouge your LCS and still do what everyone assumed and anticipated the second a superhero wedding was announced? but before that all happens they tell the whole world via a news outlet?

I didn't enjoy King's run early on, so I'm about 20+ issues behind, but had thought of picking up the Wedding event because there were some pretty sweet looking covers. Now I feel conflicted on whether or not to buy in order to support my LCS, or buy something else to support my LCS but also tell DC--no.

Any other past debacles that you can think of that compare to this?

...granted it might be one of the best comics King has written...that hinted last page twist could reverse fan fervor...

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears
Re: Batman Wedding Controversy (Probably Spoileriffic)

Post by paradise »

I won't comment on your main question but...

I have read Batman #50 and the wedding happening or not happening is not an issue, it's one of the best issues of Batman I have ever read, and is a masterpiece that will win Eisner award and more next year. It's worth the price of admission and more.

Support your store. It's not about supporting DC. Your LCS already bought those copies, you are not supporting DC, you are supporting them.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

No wedding is without controversy. :kidaround:
Multum In Parvo

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

I really enjoyed King's Vision run. I actually bought all those issues. I regret not starting his Batman run. Is it worth catching up on?
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

paradise
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

I like it a lot but it is very different from Snyder's
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by TheFerg714 »

Man, DC and Tom King really had an opportunity here to do something truly different, and they completely ruined it. With Bendis' hostile takeover of everything-Superman, DC is going to have to be very careful about what they do next. I do not foresee Superman and Batman, after this summer, being the huge sellers that they once were.
greatbrandino11 wrote:I really enjoyed King's Vision run. I actually bought all those issues. I regret not starting his Batman run. Is it worth catching up on?
lol no. For some reason, King just comes off very pretentious in every issue. Like he understand the character on some deeper level than anyone else. I know it has it's fans, but I think it sucks.

That said, I adore his Vision and Mister Miracle.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

The local comic shop had a Batman & Catwoman wedding (with cake :banana:). I took my kids and we had a great time. I have not been reading Batman but did pick up issue 50. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was an interestingly told story and that Weeks page at the end is fantastic. My 11 year old son enjoyed it too but said was disappointed that is was left on a cliffhanger. He's more into TPB and so I had to explain how floppies worked. :D
Multum In Parvo

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

Paradise, I hope you managed to sell enough copies of #50.

Plenty still bought at my LCS, and I grabbed the variant I wanted. They definitely ordered way too many. I'd expect I can snag other variants in a year in a dollar bin. I saw where DC is going to cover some costs LCS incurred, but the books aren't returnable.

I feel for LCS' because I love that they exist in an age when I can get trades at 42% off from IST, or get books shipped monthly through Midtown or DCBS. There's something better about picking a floppy off a shelf rather than unpacking it from a box. I like the environment. I like seeing the wall of covers and the time I can spend in long boxes either on a mission or on a whim. But I know my LCS owner was not happy at all. He thanked everyone that bought a copy of #50.

How many would he need to sell to break even on his inventory of it?

That said, the issue was good. Just 'good'. I tried to read it without the pressures of what the media/DC marketing has done. It's your typical 'tune in next week' we're promising something bigger around the corner comic. And it did that really well (does this connect to the Button?), I'm debating whether or not I want to pick up #51 or trade wait... so in that aspect it's a triumph. I had to play catch up on the storyline and don't' regret that expense/reading binge, perfectly good way to celebrate our nation's Independence.

The art is fantastic. I'd love to experience this in an oversized print (I assume there will be a Deluxe HC down the line of course).

I think the problem is still how DC marketed this as an event comic, and it is not. And the result might've been a good couple of months sales wise, but I think they genuinely discouraged a lot of readers.

Spoiling it early made the situation worse--and if someone didn't get fired over that, they should probably be in the doghouse for years to come. I think fans overall would've been okay with it if they hadn't raised the ire before it came out. I didn't expect them to get married or stayed married, but it would've been a new dynamic to have Batman and Catwoman running around as a team like Batman and Robin...that would've been new. Batman needing to be Batman and a marriage 'can't work' is something I know I've read and seen in animated form before (and quite better in that instance).

If King builds to issue 75 with them actually getting married, or to issue 100 with the same result, it's not going to change how DC hyped this story.

I know I have a problem, I'm one of those 'not my Batman' guys, but I still think my joy of Batman is pretty eclectic. King's run is chock full of great introspective moments, and then mauled by instances of high melodrama. That and his choice of repetition of words. #50 isn't an improvement on these issues, but at least (spoiler) it acts like King wants to make his run cohesive and I'm sure I'll re-read the entire run in omnibus form in 5 years or so.

I'm hit or miss with King (same with Morrison). I think I'm the only person who thinks Omega Men was terrible. Sheriff of Babylon was my first experience with him and he hasn't really changed all that much since. Like Morrison he has a very specific voice. I haven't finished Grayson, and debate upgrading the omnibus every other month or so. I was genuinely excited (but waiting) on Mr. Miracle. But I don't think this fiasco is at all King's fault and I hope he keeps telling his story.

His Swamp Thing Winter Special story (perhaps Eisner worthy) is awesome and I'd honestly rather see him on a run of Swamp Thing that is similar to his Batman one. Swamp Thing and Batman are my favorite DC characters but I expect different things from them.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:Paradise, I hope you managed to sell enough copies of #50.

Plenty still bought at my LCS, and I grabbed the variant I wanted. They definitely ordered way too many. I'd expect I can snag other variants in a year in a dollar bin. I saw where DC is going to cover some costs LCS incurred, but the books aren't returnable.

I feel for LCS' because I love that they exist in an age when I can get trades at 42% off from IST, or get books shipped monthly through Midtown or DCBS. There's something better about picking a floppy off a shelf rather than unpacking it from a box. I like the environment. I like seeing the wall of covers and the time I can spend in long boxes either on a mission or on a whim. But I know my LCS owner was not happy at all. He thanked everyone that bought a copy of #50.

How many would he need to sell to break even on his inventory of it?
I don't use the online services and don't buy many comics on a regular basis but agree with your description of going to a comic shop. I particular love the smell of a lot of comics shops and old book stores as well. :D

I know the owner of my shop was a little freaked out by this whole thing because they ordered a lot of copies to reach the incentive covers. They have 3 shops so it's not as bad as if they only had the one. Even their Batman Catwoman wedding didn't have that many people there, not nearly enough to eat the large sheet cake they bought.

I spent a lot more there yesterday than I typically do. I just hope my wife doesn't find out. :lol:
Multum In Parvo