Imperium #1 (Allen Error)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Imperium #1 (Allen Error)

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Please forgive me if this is more common knowledge than I am aware of, or if everyone already has stacks of these.

A while back (while hunting for NM+ copies to build a 9.8 Imperium set) I was made aware of the Imperium #1 (Allen Error).

"Is it an error?"

Well, there 100% ARE two versions of Imperium #1 (Allen Regular Cvr A), and I certainly DO NOT recall see them listed as such anywhere online (eBay, Facebook, DCBS, here...).

- Imperium #1 (Allen Regular) is exactly what you would expect; the regular version of the story and the most commonly distributed cover.

- Imperium #1 (Allen Error) is the Imperium #1 (Allen Regular), with the "Imperium Prelude" insert included. The Imperium Prelude is several additional pages that essentially were an advertisement for the series. It does seem a bit redundant for Imperium to advertise Imperium though in this case -- especially when most of the copies of Imperium #1 DID NOT.

(For me) this is a "thing" because I am attempting to own a 9.8 copy of every possible issue and variant from Imperium; and THIS is one of those. In my, well, 10 or so copies of Imperium #1 (Allen), there were ZERO versions like this. I received my copy through a deal several months back.

Have you seen, or do you have any of these?

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham
Re: Imperium #1 (Allen Error)

Post by Juki »

Cool discovery. Thanks for sharing DBS! Can anyone post a picture of the additional prelude to look for? Where is the prelude located in the comic (for example...between pages 10 and 11)?

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Curious! I am going to my LCS this afternoon, thinking I might take a look and see if I can find the same things you are talking about. Doubtful that it is in the 9.8 range, but I will keep my eyes open for it.

And so that I am looking at the right books, it is the Harada cover, correct? They all look like they could have been done by Allen...
Moose

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I am pretty sure I sold my error copy to Rico. I also have an Imperium Master Set so I should check to see if I have the error version in there. :hm:

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Thanks for the pictures. That helps. I was thinking it was a different cover. I do have one of those that I will have to check.

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

Yea... I have that error copy Michael. If I remember correctly, it's in the press pile somewhere.

Jessie.. I also have a Imperium 8 that has a different imperium issue inside. Not sure where that one is. Lol.

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

I think I have some I got from bloodshot quite awhile ago

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Ricomortis wrote:Yea... I have that error copy Michael. If I remember correctly, it's in the press pile somewhere.

Jessie.. I also have a Imperium 8 that has a different imperium issue inside. Not sure where that one is. Lol.

Uhoooooohhh. You are sending DBS on another mission if he doesn’t have EVERY version of Imperium! Hopefully this is a joke.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Ricomortis wrote:Jessie.. I also have a Imperium 8 that has a different imperium issue inside. Not sure where that one is. Lol.
This Robert. This is something I need in my life.
:wink:

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Juki wrote:Thanks for the pictures. That helps. I was thinking it was a different cover. I do have one of those that I will have to check.

I have this one copy. Boy I hope this is rare!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I checked my extra copies (not my main set), and have 2 Imperium #1 1:10 copies that have the Imperium preview. Not sure if that is normal. Going to assume it is.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

nycjadie wrote:I checked my extra copies (not my main set), and have 2 Imperium #1 1:10 copies that have the Imperium preview. Not sure if that is normal. Going to assume it is.

All of my Imperium #1s have the Prelude in it. (Lord Vine and Major Mech Variants, Blank cover, 1:10, 1:20, and 1:40 all have Prelude).

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

So, I checked all my copies of #1. All the variants have the prelude in it, except the gold books. I have several copies of variants for this book, and they are all the same.

I do have 2 copies of the 1A book. 1 has the prelude, the other does not. The one that does not is a beater copy that someone threw in for free. The other copy is not 9.8, as with nearly all of my VEI books.

In any event, I'd be curious if anyone finds a prelude in a gold book, or does not have the prelude in any other variant.

Pleasant surprise I have 1 copy of each of the 1A, but need to upgrade the "normal" copy!

Always thought is was weird that they would have the "preview" stuff in the same book, but I just thought it was for efficiencies, and not an editing/printing issue.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

It is kind of odd to have the prelude to a book in the book itself. Unless they had the Prelude in every comic book that month as advertisement for Imperium #1 (and just left it in for the Imperium book itself for cost efficiency). Maybe the red Imperium #1 is rarer without the prelude?

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

I just checked mine and it has the Prelude in it as well.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

The "error" (it's not just Allen) is the common one most people will have.

The "corrected" without the prelude was released exactly one month later (Feb 4 vs Mar 4).

I order my books through DCBS and they sent out an email and free copies of the corrected. This is what I wrote up for another site's listings.

"The original printing of Imperium #1 shipped with the Imperium Prelude (which ran in most Valiant comics this month) meant for X-O Manowar #33 in the middle of this issue, interrupting and potentially confusing the story. This free replacement copy without the insert could be ordered by retailers matching their original order."

Unfortunately, there is no identifiable difference (same cover, same UPC, same indicia) between the two versions other than the Prelude being stabled in or not, so it would be easy to fake.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

SwiftMann wrote:The "error" (it's not just Allen) is the common one most people will have.

The "corrected" without the prelude was released exactly one month later (Feb 4 vs Mar 4).

I order my books through DCBS and they sent out an email and free copies of the corrected. This is what I wrote up for another site's listings.

"The original printing of Imperium #1 shipped with the Imperium Prelude (which ran in most Valiant comics this month) meant for X-O Manowar #33 in the middle of this issue, interrupting and potentially confusing the story. This free replacement copy without the insert could be ordered by retailers matching their original order."

Unfortunately, there is no identifiable difference (same cover, same UPC, same indicia) between the two versions other than the Prelude being stabled in or not, so it would be easy to fake.

That's interesting. So there is potentially twice as many issues of this comic. With the 1st run being the "error" and the 2nd run being the corrected version.

If the shops had to order their "free replacements," I am speculating some shops didn't do that (if they were still stocked or just not aware of ability to reorder). So, I would speculate that the corrected issue would be rarer (although Valiant could have printed the same number of corrected issues).

I don't understand why they would not just automatically send the shops the corrected version the next month as long as they were still ordering Valiant.

So, A good question may be: Long down the road, which version will be more desirable?

Error version: because it is the first print to the market and is an "error" having extra content
Or
Corrected version: because there are possibly less out there and it is how the book was "supposed to present"

If the corrected version were to become super desirable you could have people ripping the prelude out of the error version (and who would know?).