Goodbye, Atom! Freeman

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Goodbye, Atom! Freeman

Post by grendeljd »

And another original leaves the VEI fold - so long Atom, thanks for the memories & good luck in your future endeavours.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Goodbye, Atom! Freeman

Post by grendeljd »

(That promotion was really short-lived!)
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

SQUEE! Sorry to see all the old guard go.
Multum In Parvo

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I will miss adam he is a great guy. :!:
I Miss the good old days.

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

The dominos continue to fall in the most weirdest of ways... facepalm

Promotion/Resigns... :?
#StayValiant

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:... so long Atom, thanks for the memories & good luck in your future endeavours.
+1

Thanks for all the good times, Atom. I'll never forget the day you let me help out at the booth as a Valianteer at NYCC. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Jrosen »

agent_graves wrote:The dominos continue to fall in the most weirdest of ways... facepalm

Promotion/Resigns... :?
Could it be Promotion, Competing job offer, takes better job?

I met Atom only once, at this year's C2E2, and he was a great guy. But I have to believe that he got a better job offer and isn't quitting out of spite.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

grendeljd wrote:And another original leaves the VEI fold - so long Atom, thanks for the memories & good luck in your future endeavours.
+1

I met Atom! in 2012 in Charlotte, NC. Very cool dude... but maybe it's the shoes.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

From a post on his Facebook profile the other day;
Atom Freeman wrote: tldnr: Taking a break. See you in a month or so.

Hey, you! You are beautiful. And what you've done with your life, considering the hand you were dealt? Amazing. Seriously, watching you move from day to day and discussing the details has been wonderful. I'm so glad we met. Even if that meeting was just here on Facebook.

The time has come for me to take an extended break from our conversation, however. It's not you, it's me. I want the time to read a few books and do some goofing off that doesn't involve just Liking things. Also, I just started an internship to become a yoga teacher. I have my doubts that it will be a career move for me but it's something I gotta do, ya know?

Now, if you've read this far, I'm gonna assume that you're actually interested in what's going on in my life and what I'm thinking. I no longer work for Valiant Entertainment. I swear, it was completely mutual. They have an amazing team in place and don't really need me and I am ready to start looking for some other challenges. Valiant fans, I can't wait for you to see some of the things they have planned. Comics retailers, they have a fantastic team in place that loves you just as much as I do. Comics press, I swear, there's no story here. Someday, if you wanna reminisce about my time there, let's talk. I'm incredibly proud of the work we did there and love talking about it.

This, fantastically, has given me a chance to take a break from the career that has been my obsession for 25 or so years now. So, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Starting today, I'm gonna take a break from talking and (attempt to stop) thinking about the comics industry. At least a month. Might be a bit longer. Business folk in comics, let's get together when I come back into the fold! I love talking about how to sell and market comics. I would love to chat with you about it. If we fit, who knows....

I'm also going to take a break from social media. Okay, technically, so that my mom and sister can see pics of the kids and so that I can talk about yoga and the comics I will now have a chance to read and mostly just because I like it, I'll probably still be posting on Instagram, but, the lion's share of my social media time is here and Twitter and so I'll be taking a concurrent break on those.

But, I'm still a bit of a narcissist and like showing you what I'm thinking about and what has me excited, so I'm starting an old-fashioned email newsletter. If you want in, email me at atombang@gmail.com and I'll add you to the list.

Comment here if you want. Or, if you are Steve Higgins, you can start commenting your witty remarks on old posts. I'll see them all when I get back. But, for now, email is in the last paragraph, Instagram is atombangfreeman and my phone number is 530-830-ATOM.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

I had the most surreal experience meeting Atom once. This wasn't the first time I had met him, but it was so outlandishly random... I was sitting at my booth in the artist alley of Fan Expo in Toronto, Ontario in 2015. Valiant didn't have a booth there that year, although they had been at this convention in a previous year .

I was sitting there one day of the weekend, doing a Doctor Mirage sketch on a blank Doctor Mirage #1 cover, when I looked up and Atom was standing there in front of me, looking at my drawing! I was pretty shocked & surprised, and probably swore at him, haha! He had just decided to travel up to check out the show on his own that year & visit some local comic shops around town while he was there.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Sorry to hear that Atom! is gone, but glad that it sounds like something he wanted. Maybe he thought about leaving earlier, and the promotion was to try and keep him on longer? Who knows. It doesn't matter in the end. We'll miss you Atom! and thanks for all your hard work for Valiant!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I know that he would talk about visiting some special Yoga instructor at just about each stop when he would go to Cons. I remember seeing pictures of him practicing Yoga in the most odd of places, with that grey beanie hat he always wore. He would talk about the shoes he wore (usually wing-tips) and how they didn't hurt his feet, even when standing for 12 hours a day, because of the yoga he would do. The dude lived and breathed yoga, I think we all knew that, so when he says he is going to go and be a yoga instructor, it almost seems like a natural thing for him to do. I'm happy that he gets to follow his passions, even if that means that he is breaking away from the comic book company he loves. I also don't think this will be the last we see of Atom BANG in comics.

He will be back.
Moose

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Oh man. For Valiant's sake, I am sorry to hear that. Over the years, I've seen Atom! really grow into a role as one of the leaders at Valiant. I will miss him in that role.

Atom!, thanks for all your hard work. You are part of what has made Valiant fandom fun over the last six years. Best wishes for success in whatever comes next for you!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:I know that he would talk about visiting some special Yoga instructor at just about each stop when he would go to Cons. I remember seeing pictures of him practicing Yoga in the most odd of places, with that grey beanie hat he always wore. He would talk about the shoes he wore (usually wing-tips) and how they didn't hurt his feet, even when standing for 12 hours a day, because of the yoga he would do. The dude lived and breathed yoga, I think we all knew that, so when he says he is going to go and be a yoga instructor, it almost seems like a natural thing for him to do. I'm happy that he gets to follow his passions, even if that means that he is breaking away from the comic book company he loves. I also don't think this will be the last we see of Atom BANG in comics.

He will be back.
The one time I had met him at Wonder Con, by Sunday he said his feet were dead from the knees down. Then again, that was 4 years ago and perhaps he has developed techniques to cope with that particular hazard, like the aforementioned yoga.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

They have an amazing team in place and don't really need me and I am ready to start looking for some other challenges. Valiant fans, I can't wait for you to see some of the things they have planned. Comics retailers, they have a fantastic team in place that loves you just as much as I do.

The guy is a class act.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

I'm going to miss seeing the old guard at conventions. Of all the original crew, who were all extremely friendly, Atom was the one who would go for the hug instead of the handshake when I showed up. All the best to him!

THEWGZK
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by THEWGZK »

I always enjoyed Atom! He was a super nice guy and always made you feel more like family than a fan. One of my favorite convention memories was with Atom! at Las Vegas Comic-Con, Rucker and I hung out for both days as Valianteers at the booth and I stayed behind on Sunda to help break down the booth and pallet everything up, and shrink wrapping the free give always to the pallet and then having beers and talking about all of our personal interests. It was super cool and I will always remember that. Good Luck out there buddy and hope to see you around the Convention halls again some day.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

So many great memories of Atom! far more than I have time to write. He will be missed.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

Great guy! Very smart and quick on his feet in all situations. He will do well where ever he lands in the future.

I am very sad about the breakup of the original team that Dinesh and Co. put together. Almost like watching a divorce with a bunch of people who have become your friends over a period of time. These guys were really like a second family to each other, had a unique bond, and they made many of us feel we were part of what they were creating. I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to spend time with all these guys.

Good Luck Man!
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

Is there any of the original senior management team left now?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Ramses818

Post by Ramses818 »

Shadowman99 wrote:Is there any of the original senior management team left now?
Fred is still there.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Ramses818 wrote:
Fred is still there.
Just Fred? Is that it? So are we looking at (Except Fred) an entirely new Valiant senior management team these days?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Ramses818 wrote:
Fred is still there.
Just Fred? Is that it? So are we looking at (Except Fred) an entirely new Valiant senior management team these days?
Seems like it. By my count here is who has left since February:

Dinesh Shamdasani (CEO and Chief Creative Officer)
Hunter Gorinson (Head of Marketing)
Atom! Freeman (Head of Sales) - was just promoted in April, post Dinesh.
Warren Simons (EIC)
Josh Johns (Head of Valiant Digital)
Charlotte Greenbaum (Senior Editor)
Danny Khazem (Senior Editor)
Gavin Cuneo (CFO)
Peter Cuneo (Chairman)
Shanyce Lora (Head of social media)
Annie Rosa (Sales) - was just promoted in April, post Dinesh.

There are probably more departures but we haven't had news yet.

That means of the 5 key people that launched Valiant in 2012 only Fred is left. Dinesh, Warren, Hunter and Atom have left.

The most worrying part might be that two of the 4 people who were promoted in April left shortly after.

Any company losing 10+ key management team members is going to be in trouble.

Ramses818

Post by Ramses818 »

So thankfully you didn't have to wait for me to get an answer. LOL. Yes to me everything that has happened since the announcement has been very depressing. And as you can see by that very long list of departures, why. I guess one of the most disheartening things is the arrivals. I've listened to everything they've had to say and I'm not optimistic. I also haven't seen a lot of talent being kept happy which is probably one of the more important aspects of the company continuing. I'll refrain from my usual venomous remarks regarding DMG. But like I've always said time will tell. And now being a couple months into dmg's run we only have a few more months to wait to see what they're really going to be like.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Wow, okay: that's all less than inspiring facepalm