Harbinger TPB "bluebird"

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

shadow5555
My posts can all fit in a short box
Re: Harbinger TPB "bluebird"

Post by shadow5555 »

Was reading through this topic while on my way back from the dead universes sub forum and thought hey maybe I can clear some of this up, (or maybe not, heh)

https://imgur.com/a/pjwymZt

Anyway I sent these pics to Greg years ago (and more) which might help with some confusion. The Previews listing for the 2nd print says nothing about the blue bird, and only clarifies that Harbinger #0 is NOT included, so unless this was changed, I hope this clarifies some confusion.

I also uploaded more of the scans dealing specifically with the TPB's since a lot of that information seems to be lost in the mists of time.

Greg, do you still have my old archives I sent to you or do you need me to provide you with those again? (the original scans from the previews and other valiant related scans I sent to you) I still have the 12 year old archives I created and sent to you back then and also shared with the rest of the community. Let me know. :thumb:

Edit: Can anyone clear something up for me? Was the Valiant Reader 1994 ever released (I'm thinking it's one of those books that fell through the cracks when the Acclaim thing was happening) just curious if it ever popped up like those old issues of Secret Weapons that showed up on the boards years ago. (it's also in the link I posted) Also did the Armorines Yearbook ever surface (like those Secret Weapons issues, or was it another of those solicited, but never published books?)

And I didn't see it on the master list either.

http://www.valiantpriceguide.com/guide

Edit 2: Looking through my scans, I still can't believe how much art was left on the cutting room floor between the Deathmate stuff that was left out to the later Valiant books that were totally left unpublished....such a waste. Apologies for the O/T comment.
I AM The Night!!!

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

right...exactly as i remember...
now that I think about it more those star editions c.1995-1996 were just regular tps overstock sold at a cheap discount..not the blues..they were called star edition because they were Avail much later, years later..
the blues were 1 for each 25, with the 25th one being blue and were shipped with the original trades
so much evidence, the fact that they all retained printing qualities of the original tps,
blue on the bag for harb, blue on the logo for xo and rai...I know my memory is good! haha..

I would say check the Wizards, for more info, or someone ask bob layton, he might remember..

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

also, no, none of those books were printed, though some pages of the armorines yb have been found...I did also find pages of an unpublished solar /time walker comic that may have been slated for a solar yearbook, or a timewalker yearbook.. that was pretty cool!

armorines yb
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=10369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unpublished solar/tw
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

shadow5555 wrote:
So much for my memory. I apologize for the misinformation. This seems definitive.

I will also back valiantdude here.. My steel trap of a memory tells me that the blues were indeed an incentive when the regular TPBs were first released. Ordering 25 to get one was really a stretch for me. I wasn't selling THAT many Valiants on USENET at the time...As a matter of fact I still have a handful of Harbinger TPBs from the batch of 25 I had to buy.
Last edited by ckb on Sun May 20, 2018 9:16:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadow5555

Post by shadow5555 »

valiantdude wrote:also, no, none of those books were printed, though some pages of the armorines yb have been found...I did also find pages of an unpublished solar /time walker comic that may have been slated for a solar yearbook, or a timewalker yearbook.. that was pretty cool!

armorines yb
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=10369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unpublished solar/tw
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks a bunch. :thumb:

I knew there's some unpublished books hiding in these threads (like Secret Weapons, I mentioned) but didn't know if I missed some (or even if Armorines had ever "leaked out")

Appreciate it. :D
ckb wrote:
shadow5555 wrote:
So much for my memory. I apologize for the misinformation. This seems definitive.

I will also back valiantdude here.. My steel trap of a memory also tells me that the blues were indeed an incentive when the regular TPBs were first released. Ordering 25 to get one was really a stretch for me. I wasn't selling THAT many Valiants on USENET at time...As a matter of fact I still have a handful of Harbinger TPBs from the batch of 25 I had to buy.
Not a biggie :wink: (glad I could shed some light on this), how many of us were keeping close eyes on TPB sales back then unless we were running a comic shop, let alone variants and release amounts.

I stumbled on many of the TPB's released back then because I was trying to get early Valiant at a cheap price and those were the most cost effective way. (and for some issues still are) I'd like to have a complete singles collection, but I think we're past that stage (for me anyway). (Eternal Warrior 4 & 5 from the Valiant Era Trade Paperback being notable)
I AM The Night!!!

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

I don't know why the facts stick my head they just do..it's weird kinda haha...we were so into it back then..like rabid, looking back, it's cool so many kids were into art/literature books, then the internet came along..
Unity and pre unity valiant was so ridiculously better than the comics being pushed to kids back then..it made everyone fans...

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Rai-fan »

For what it's worth, in the early 2000s, I found bluebird copies of Harbinger and Rai trades for ~$5 bucks apiece.

But I never landed a stinkin' X-O blue.

Despite my username, X-O was my favorite character -- Proud to have the full VH1 set (including 1/2 gold x 3), but for the blue trade.