JOE ILLIDGE Becomes VALIANT's Executive Editor

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: JOE ILLIDGE Becomes VALIANT's Executive Editor

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Chiclo wrote:
SuperMage wrote:Dasvidaniya comrade. Now nothing can stop me from stealing the nuclear launch codes. :mad:
:gossip: do svidaniya is two words. :gossip:

The spelling used here is the title of a film that is not a consistent transliteration with the Russian phrase.

Also, the Russian word for comrade is komloyskey.
Are you sure it's not "tovarish" ?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
SuperMage wrote:Dasvidaniya comrade. Now nothing can stop me from stealing the nuclear launch codes. :mad:

The spelling used here is the title of a film that is not a consistent transliteration with the Russian phrase.

Fairly certain, friend. :wink: :hm: :-?

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Chiclo wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

Fairly certain, friend. :wink: :hm: :-?
:funnypost:
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:Are you sure it's not "tovarish" ?
That's the word we use in Sweden to sound russian when drinking vodka and singing.

/Magnus

Sunlight on Snow

magnusr wrote:
That's the word we use in Sweden to sound russian when drinking vodka and singing.

/Magnus
When I'm drunk I might call my friends and everybody else "tovarish" too!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

magnusr wrote:

/Magnus
That's a coincidence, we say the word vännerna when we want to sound Swedish!

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Chiclo wrote:That's a coincidence, we say the word vännerna when we want to sound Swedish!
:D

/Magnus

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Do we have Joe Illidge to thank for getting LARRY STROMAN on pencils for Ninja-K's next story arc, or do you guys think that was already in the works in advance of Warren leaving? Either way... LARRY STROMAN on a VALIANT book!!!! :clap:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Either way it sounds pretty good! :thumb:

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Sounds like it's just for one issue. A flashback showcasing Ninja-H.

http://valiantentertainment.com/2018/05 ... is-august/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Can someone please explain to me who the hell Larry Stroman is, and why his acquisition is significant?

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

TheFerg714 wrote:Can someone please explain to me who the hell Larry Stroman is, and why his acquisition is significant?
Larry Stroman was an artist who made a small breakthrough in the '90s working on the Peter David's X-Factor before leaving to join the Image founders on his creator owned book, TRIBE. He only ended up producing a few issues before falling off the face of the earth. His style was very '90s in the way that everything then was.

I'm guessing people are thrilled because they have an unhealthy love for everything '90s and they keep hoping Valiant will return to the '90s. Why? God only knows.

He's only doing one issue of Ninja-K, and based on the cover his style has changed drastically, and for the better, IMO. But kind of like the Bloodshot HARD Corp issues that had Bart Sears doing crummy artwork I would rather Valiant stays away from the nostalgia train. Hard to be fresh when all your doing is milking the past.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

kinggirlfriend wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:Can someone please explain to me who the hell Larry Stroman is, and why his acquisition is significant?
Larry Stroman was an artist who made a small breakthrough in the '90s working on the Peter David's X-Factor before leaving to join the Image founders on his creator owned book, TRIBE. He only ended up producing a few issues before falling off the face of the earth. His style was very '90s in the way that everything then was.

I'm guessing people are thrilled because they have an unhealthy love for everything '90s and they keep hoping Valiant will return to the '90s. Why? God only knows.

He's only doing one issue of Ninja-K, and based on the cover his style has changed drastically, and for the better, IMO. But kind of like the Bloodshot HARD Corp issues that had Bart Sears doing crummy artwork I would rather Valiant stays away from the nostalgia train. Hard to be fresh when all your doing is milking the past.
You should try not to paint your opinion in such authoritative broad brushstrokes, especially when you show a lack of knowledge (or maybe are oversimplifying what you know in order to criticize something you don't like).

Personally, I can't stand "90's" style comic art. I have no desire to see anyone return to that aggressively over-rendered crap look. Stroman's style is not defined by the "90's" style IMO. It's certainly heavily stylized, and not to everyone's tastes, but it's a unique thing. He's been around longer than that.

Personally, I'm primarily a fan of his work on Alien Legion, a book from the mid-late 80's. In fact I had a conversation online with Ryan Winn recently about it - he is thrilled to be inking Stroman's work for Ninja-K. It's not about riding a nostalgia train, it's about working with a creator that inspired him as a kid. If you weren't around then and/or didn't collect comics at that time, then it's just something that is outside your own personal experience.

He was a popular artist in those days, and still does good work now that just doesn't get him the same level of recognition. I don't think anyone unfamiliar with his work will look at it in Ninja-K and get a 90's nostalgia vibe from it. I actually didn't immediately recognize it was his art from the cover of Ninja-K #10 that was recently revealed. I think it's going to look really good.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow

https://www.comixology.com/Larry-Stroma ... reator/368
https://www.comixology.com/Alien-Legion ... omic/96389

His Ninja-K cover looks much better than most of the stuff I've just seen on comixology.

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

Is there a link to his Ninja-K cover?

I recall Stroman mostly from X-Factor, and at the time I liked his work -- but then I was a teenager and I also liked Liefeld's work back then :?

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

grendeljd wrote:
kinggirlfriend wrote:

You should try not to paint your opinion in such authoritative broad brushstrokes, especially when you show a lack of knowledge (or maybe are oversimplifying what you know in order to criticize something you don't like).

Personally, I can't stand "90's" style comic art. I have no desire to see anyone return to that aggressively over-rendered crap look. Stroman's style is not defined by the "90's" style IMO. It's certainly heavily stylized, and not to everyone's tastes, but it's a unique thing. He's been around longer than that.

Personally, I'm primarily a fan of his work on Alien Legion, a book from the mid-late 80's. In fact I had a conversation online with Ryan Winn recently about it - he is thrilled to be inking Stroman's work for Ninja-K. It's not about riding a nostalgia train, it's about working with a creator that inspired him as a kid. If you weren't around then and/or didn't collect comics at that time, then it's just something that is outside your own personal experience.

He was a popular artist in those days, and still does good work now that just doesn't get him the same level of recognition. I don't think anyone unfamiliar with his work will look at it in Ninja-K and get a 90's nostalgia vibe from it. I actually didn't immediately recognize it was his art from the cover of Ninja-K #10 that was recently revealed. I think it's going to look really good.
Just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own.

An oversimplification? Maybe. But I don't think think other than mentioning his Alien Legion work there is really much more to say. He's definitely best remembered for his X-Factor/Tribe work. And while he wasn't necessarily a Rob Liefeld or Jim Lee clone his over-stylization at that time does scream '90s, IMO. That's what he's known for. Liefeld and Lee started in the '80s but they are known as '90s artists. Ryan Winn wanting to work with him because he liked him as a kid is the epitome of nostalgia, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I actually like Stroman's work, but I don't think it's the right fit for VEI, IMO. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and it'll work like gangbusters.

Again all strictly my opinion, and I feel like that should go without saying (otherwise it tends to get redundant, IMO).

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

You know what, I take some of that back. For *SQUEE*'s and giggles I looked at some of his new stuff. He's definitely evolved. Here's some recent covers he's done including the upcoming Ninja-K.

And for yuks here's some of his older work.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

kinggirlfriend wrote:Just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own.
Absolutely. I wasn't aiming to start a fight or suggest you can't express your opinion, I just took exception to some of what you seemed to be saying [or the tone of it, anyway] and wanted to respond with my own opinion. Hopefully no harm done there.
kinggirlfriend wrote:He's definitely best remembered for his X-Factor/Tribe work.
Agreed, its more well known to the general comic reading public than Alien Legion. I'm biased because for me personally, Alien Legion was one of the earliest comics I can remember reading that opened my eyes & mind to the idea that comics could be set in other genres than just superheroes, and also be awesome.
kinggirlfriend wrote:Ryan Winn wanting to work with him because he liked him as a kid is the epitome of nostalgia, not that there's anything wrong with that.
I get what you're saying, but as an artist with some small insight into this, there is more to it than just that nostalgic thrill from liking his work as a kid. I bought Alien Legion #5 as a kid because of Stroman's cover, and then I obsessively drew Alien Legion characters & copied Stromans work in my own drawings over & over. It was part of the process of learning to draw for me. Getting to actually work on something with him directly now, as Ryan is, would tickle something internally that is more than nostalgia. It would be powerfully inspiring to do that & get to experience creative synergy with him.
kinggirlfriend wrote:I actually like Stroman's work, but I don't think it's the right fit for VEI, IMO. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and it'll work like gangbusters.
kinggirlfriend wrote:You know what, I take some of that back. For *SQUEE*'s and giggles I looked at some of his new stuff. He's definitely evolved.
Thats what I'm talking about! :high-five:

Those newer covers are great! And I bought that new Alien Legion mini-series from Titan when it came out.

Also, a little slice of honesty here, I got the first issue of Tribe back in the 90's, didn't care for it at all and didn't buy another issue.

Sunlight on Snow

Stroman's cover from pencils to inks (Wynn) to colors (Dalhouse):

https://twitter.com/ryanwinn/status/996484301398028288

Sunlight on Snow

More news: Joe Illidge likes Imperium!

https://twitter.com/JosephPIllidge/stat ... 3481942018

Imperium Dlx Ed HC :hope:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:More news: Joe Illidge likes Imperium!

:headbang:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:More news: Joe Illidge likes Imperium!

Hopefully he likes it enough to see that we get more of it. :hope: