Shadowman [2018] #2 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Shadowman [2018] #2 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& XO Manowar [2017] #14], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr162/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Shadowman [2018] #2 Discussion

Post by jmatt »

The Brethren awaiting Darque's rule. Diggle isn't letting anything go. I was ambivalent about them the first go 'round... I tire of seeing business people and capitalism portrayed as villains but I'm content to see how this plays out.

The scene with the little girl was unnervingly cold. I felt a pang of horror, which is perfect for this book.

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Yeah my first thought on reading this issue was "damn I need to go back and read the rest of the shadowman stuff again cuz I don't remember this level of detail."

This is phenomenal. Valiant's best work in awhile.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Jack has to stop feeling sorry for himself, I’d think by now he’d be more confident. Other than that, the art is on point, and the story is finding it’s footing, in this three issue (tpb) arc era... :thumb:
#StayValiant

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

agent_graves wrote:Jack has to stop feeling sorry for himself, I’d think by now he’d be more confident. Other than that, the art is on point, and the story is finding it’s footing, in this three issue (tpb) arc era... :thumb:
I think this series will be the one that gives him more concrete reasons to stop feeling sorry for himself.

I can sympathize with him taking a lot of time to process all the bad things he has done though... I mean really, some of the things he's done - a real person would probably never fully recover from. Not that I want to keep reading lamenting dialogue from him all the time either, but I think theres always a place for it to come up over the course of his story.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Really happy with the further nods to continuity here. All it took was one simple line to address the fact that Rapture happened. Perfect.

I'm also so happy to see the Brethren featured, the Abbettors organization mentioned [would still like to see them re-built - they were a cool idea that Justin Jordan brought in and wiped out far too fast in the first series, IMHO], and that Baron Samedi is also a prominent figure in this story. Love the more traditional nods to Voodoo/ Vodun that Alyssa is bringing to it over the Punk Mambo version - not that I don't like Punk Mambo as a character, but this just feels more appropriate for the book right now. Great stuff. :clap:

The one thing that has been overlooked ever so slightly is the fact that Jack was actually free of the deadside for at least a short time, when Ninjak pulled him out & he was at MI6 for an undefined period. I still also need to re-read Rapture to remember how he was left off at the end of it... did he just go back into the deadside then? This series so far has generalized that detail and simply stated that he has been lost / trapped for 5 years in the deadside.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:The Brethren awaiting Darque's rule. Diggle isn't letting anything go.

The scene with the little girl was unnervingly cold. I felt a pang of horror, which is perfect for this book.
Agreed. The teddy bear into the trash can... such a simple thing but so very effective.

I liked the speech about their motivations here too - they're driven by a fear of not surviving Darque coming back unless they do something to secure themselves a power base. Perfectly believable for what could otherwise become the proverbial mustache-twirling variety of bad guys.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

The return of VH-1's Darque Power! :thumb:

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

grendeljd wrote:The one thing that has been overlooked ever so slightly is the fact that Jack was actually free of the deadside for at least a short time, when Ninjak pulled him out & he was at MI6 for an undefined period. I still also need to re-read Rapture to remember how he was left off at the end of it... did he just go back into the deadside then? This series so far has generalized that detail and simply stated that he has been lost / trapped for 5 years in the deadside.

I think that can be purely down to the notion that there are some things that people just want to forget. Also, in comparison to being in the Deadside, MI6 seems inconsequential.
This is what happens when you try to work...

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

grendeljd wrote:
agent_graves wrote:Jack has to stop feeling sorry for himself, I’d think by now he’d be more confident. Other than that, the art is on point, and the story is finding it’s footing, in this three issue (tpb) arc era... :thumb:
I think this series will be the one that gives him more concrete reasons to stop feeling sorry for himself.

I can sympathize with him taking a lot of time to process all the bad things he has done though... I mean really, some of the things he's done - a real person would probably never fully recover from. Not that I want to keep reading lamenting dialogue from him all the time either, but I think theres always a place for it to come up over the course of his story.
I would add that this series needed to show Shadowman's growth. It has to show him getting past all of this, so I expected him to feel sorry for himself, at least for a little while.

I expect Shadowman going back through time and learn from his LOA and find that everyone makes mistakes, it's how you stand up and learn from them. This year, falling back through time, could make Shadowman one of the strongest superheroes in the VU. Aric still falls on his errors and past mistakes, Bloodshot does as well. Shadowman may just be able to defeat all of his own demons and mentally, become the strongest in the VU. He should be an entity that no one wants to "F" with!
Moose

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

I've been pleased with the first two issues, especially that they are calling back to Justin Jordan's run and not just ignoring it. I too was questioning whether Rapture was just being ignored, since there was no reference to his time with MI6. I guess since Jack returned to the Deadside at the end of Rapture, just ignoring that he ever got out conveniently allows people to jump on after End Times without realizing they missed anything.

Neither issue #1 or #2 wowed me, but they were really solid. These didn't feel like the beginning of a series to me. They feel like jumping into the middle of a solid ongoing series. And I think that is exactly what Shadowman needs. I hope Valiant will stick to their guns and give this series at least the full 25 issues that the other initial series got, and really let the characters
breathe and develop. Overall, off to a good start!