Valiant Editor-in-Chief Warren Simons Resigns

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Valiant Editor-in-Chief Warren Simons Resigns

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote:I would like to follow up my criticism of tell's reaction by saying that forced diversity or a focus on diversity for diversity sake or seeking diversity merely as an end to justify itself are all things that are worthy of criticism. Valiant did not do any of these things. Valiant does not crow about its diversity. No Valiant characters discuss how much they value their diversity, they just are diverse. And that is how diversity is done properly.

Diversity is a little bit like power or grace or intelligence. If you have to go around talking about how powerful you are or how smart you are or how much of a lady you are, you probably aren't. If you go around bragging about how diverse you are, you are 1) being diverse for the wrong reasons, just to be diverse, and that is worthy of criticism and 2) probably not representing those diverse viewpoints properly. Valiant isn't doing that.

If you shy away from media that represents the left-leaning viewpoints, you will not have much media available to you. We lost Hollywood half a century ago. They are still mad about the great American Hero, Tailgunner Joe, standing up and calling out the commies and chumps for the commies that were making movies in the 50s. And they have managed to establish a monolithic united stance against us ever since. If you don't challenge what you know is right, how can you know that you are right or what is wrong?
+1 This. :clap:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Chiclo wrote:I would like to follow up my criticism of tell's reaction by saying that forced diversity or a focus on diversity for diversity sake or seeking diversity merely as an end to justify itself are all things that are worthy of criticism. Valiant did not do any of these things. Valiant does not crow about its diversity. No Valiant characters discuss how much they value their diversity, they just are diverse. And that is how diversity is done properly.

Diversity is a little bit like power or grace or intelligence. If you have to go around talking about how powerful you are or how smart you are or how much of a lady you are, you probably aren't. If you go around bragging about how diverse you are, you are 1) being diverse for the wrong reasons, just to be diverse, and that is worthy of criticism and 2) probably not representing those diverse viewpoints properly. Valiant isn't doing that.

If you shy away from media that represents the left-leaning viewpoints, you will not have much media available to you. We lost Hollywood half a century ago. They are still mad about the great American Hero, Tailgunner Joe, standing up and calling out the commies and chumps for the commies that were making movies in the 50s. And they have managed to establish a monolithic united stance against us ever since. If you don't challenge what you know is right, how can you know that you are right or what is wrong?
+1 This. :clap:
:|

you were chicloing just great until you glorified McCarthy...

Seriously? The guy was a wingnut of the nth degree and did exponentially more harm than good.

:|
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Warren commented on Twitter today:
Warren Simons wrote:Today I am stepping away from my position at Valiant with nothing but the utmost pride and appreciation for what a fantastic experience this journey has been

I want to thank all the PHENOMENAL creators, staff, and most of all the Valiant fans for seven great years!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Keith wrote:Warren commented on Twitter today:
Warren Simons wrote:Today I am stepping away from my position at Valiant with nothing but the utmost pride and appreciation for what a fantastic experience this journey has been

I want to thank all the PHENOMENAL creators, staff, and most of all the Valiant fans for seven great years!
And that's officially it. Goodbye Warren - thanks for all the amazing books!

I was just talking about this with the manager at my LCS last week. We were discussing the impact of the changing of the guard on the fan base, and the general perception he has observed that people expect it to take a turn for the worse from here. All on his own without any related facts mentioned by me, he commented that the new Valiant line since 2012 has felt like some of the best Marvel comics that came out in the early 2000's (thinking of stuff like the Bruce Jones run on Incredible Hulk). I said that seemed right, since Warren was an editor there at the time & he was amazed to learn that.

Very cool that this is the kind of presence & impact Warren's unique sensibilities have had personally on the VEI line. He will be missed!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Phoenix8008 wrote: I'd rather them stick with fictional political figures, and not portray real ones of either political side.
I think we can all agree that it would be for the best if Trump and Clinton were in fact fictional political figures. :!: :P
Multum In Parvo

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote: I'd rather them stick with fictional political figures, and not portray real ones of either political side.
I think we can all agree that it would be for the best if Trump and Clinton were in fact fictional political figures. :!: :P
Bill Clinton is still my favourite Saturday Night Live character.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Chiclo wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
Bill Clinton is still my favourite Saturday Night Live character.
That is a good one. Tina Fey's Sarah Palin is high up there on my list too.
***Support your local farmers!***

yardstick

Post by yardstick »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
OhioValiantNut wrote:
Ten thousand variant covers for each issue. Not so much. At least not in my case.

I have to agree. I don't mind doubling down to get a cool cover, but anything more than 2, and every issue, it loses my interest... and thus my desire to collect the singles. So rather then them having 2-3+ sales per customer per issue, they now have someone that might get one or might just trade wait. But I don't know what the answer is to get a small company to match Marvel and DC. Flooding the market with other media... toys, games, shows, movies, whatever, would be the only way to do that.

Why Valiant doesn't have Funko Pops (aside from Faith) is ridiculous. There have to be as many fans of Valiant characters willing to buy the pops as there are of iZombie fans or (insert random tv show or movie that's gotten pops that isn't a classic/franchise or part of the big two).

That said, I think this is a new beginning for VEI. I hope it leads to something greater, but for me, the continuity is what will determine if I stay on board more than anything else. The least they could do is a NEW 52/REBIRTH style relaunch where some cataclysmic event restarts the universe...

I am gonna-kinda 'Shooter-ize' the above sentiments, by suggesting that variant covers are great... IF they are germane to the story.

I would also allow for special promotions or events.

"Pullbox" was a great idea. That would be as far as I would go for 'routine' variants. I dislike 10,000,000 variants of a cover to 'push' sales.

I would also go so far as to suggest that these special covers should rarely be announced.

yardstick

Post by yardstick »

greg wrote:
OhioValiantNut wrote:
greg wrote:
OhioValiantNut wrote:The consensus the other day at my LCS was that VEI is crashing and burning like the Hindenburg.
Consensus at my LCS was that VEI wouldn't last a year. That was 2012.
None of us want it to die out ... that would be horrible. :cry:
My point was that the consensus at the LCS about Valiant is like getting a consensus about food from people who refuse to taste it.
Those issues left on the stands just need a little ketchup, Greg.

Or mustard, if you prefer.

yardstick

Post by yardstick »

SuperMage wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
OhioValiantNut wrote:Vin Diesel playing Bloodshot should cover the diversity bases for the sjw crowd.

I love his tweet today ... looks like the film is going to actually happen.
Isn’t he straight up Italian?
Though the actor knows his mother's ethnicity, — of English, German, Irish and Scottish ancestry — Diesel never knew his father, nor his father's heritage and background. "I am truly multi-racial," he said, according to IMDB. "I never knew my biological father. I've always had less information than I would have liked to have had. All I know from my mother is that I have connections to many different cultures.
His mom is white. His step-father was black. His ethnic features come from his unknown father. Certain Mediterranean groups have North African/Arabic ancestry from the Moorish occupation of Europe. So those ethnic Europeans you see mostly likely have distant North African or Arabic ancestry. Not everyone from Italy, Spain, and Portugal have mixed ancestry though. A lot have German ancestry. Spain was also occupied by, wait for it, the Visigoths during Moorish rule. The lead singer of A Sound of Thunder, Nina Oseguenda, is half Catalan for example. Catalan's are an ethnic group in Spain who were under Phoenician rule for some time. You can check out Nina's Instagram, and see screenshots where mainland Spaniard throw racial slurs at her. Mainly accusing her of being "a jew" because of her Catalan ancestry. Vin does look like he could be at least half Sicilian, but no one knows.

He strongly identifies with the Latin American community. A lot of my family members think he's mixed with afro-latino ancestry. He has the features aside from his skin tone. He's racially ambiguous.

Don't forget the heavy influence Spain and Austria had on each other during the 30 Years War. Consider Banda music. Notice the polka flavor, despite its late beginnings (19th c.)?

"...Banda music was established in the 1880s in the state of Sinaloa, Mexico, when it exploded into popularity in the 1890s throughout Mexico. Its roots come from the overlapping of Mexican music with German polka music..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banda_music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not to mention "Diesel" is a German word (name too, I think; though I do not know if that is just his screen name. I haven't looked it up.)

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

His birth name is Mark Sinclair.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

yardstick wrote:
greg wrote:
OhioValiantNut wrote:
greg wrote:
OhioValiantNut wrote:The consensus the other day at my LCS was that VEI is crashing and burning like the Hindenburg.
My point was that the consensus at the LCS about Valiant is like getting a consensus about food from people who refuse to taste it.

Didn't we establish that Valiant was sriracha?

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Chiclo wrote:
yardstick wrote:
greg wrote:
OhioValiantNut wrote:
greg wrote:

We did indeed

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

lorddunlow wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
yardstick wrote:
greg wrote: My point was that the consensus at the LCS about Valiant is like getting a consensus about food from people who refuse to taste it.

We did indeed
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yardstick

Post by yardstick »

greg wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
yardstick wrote:
greg wrote: My point was that the consensus at the LCS about Valiant is like getting a consensus about food from people who refuse to taste it.

We did indeed
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Must have been one of those times I was in a time-arc jump...