Bloodshot: Salvation #8 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Bloodshot: Salvation #8 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Ninja-K #6], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr160/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Bloodshot: Salvation #8 Discussion

Post by Phoenix8008 »

And here I assumed that the 'Ray' they were talking to in the future was the 4002 Bloodshot nanite collective! Unless current Bloodshot and Future Bloodshot connect somehow and maybe merge?!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I enjoyed it and liked the flash back panels. :clap:
I Miss the good old days.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Gotta say that I'm not enjoying this story arc all that much, overall. There's some cool stuff mixed in there for sure, but by contrast with Ninja-K #6, this arc has felt like a toss-up of random disjointed / non-sensical elements that are used as lazy problem solving from the writing angle.

I was wondering right from the start of Salvation how they were going to resolve the timelines with young Jessie seeming to be out of sync with the present day storyline, but that has been tied up a little too conveniently here with "Magic" [wave hands]. I do think it will be an interesting factor in future stories though - having her running around as a kid sidekick will probably make for some fun stories once Ray comes back to the present day.

Now I'm wondering, did she actually age in terms of some life experience in the deadside (ala Magick in Limbo from New Mutants), or was it a shunted thing and she's mainly running on nanite instinct with the mind of an infant? I need to re-read the first arc now to remind myself what her behaviour was like.

The art was absolutely fantastic in this issue though - loved the painted "flesh walls" in the deadside, the demon character designs & the way Rampage looks in the painted style. Those scenes were actually my favourite from this issue - really dig the character development for Rampage at this stage of the game, before we've really seen him in action. The scarred mans brother... gives him some depth.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Art was on point, but I’m not liking the two-timeline story telling no more. Idk, Lemire writes a lot of books, and I read almost all of them, just seems like he’s spreading himself thin on this one... :?
#StayValiant

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

The art is fantastic and I really enjoyed elements of this story (Rampage's growth as a character for instance and his relationship with the Scarred Man - great stuff), but I didn't like the way the story has jumped from Deadside to now 4002. I also thought Barron Samedi showing up was interesting, and I like the continuity ties with Shadowman but it kinda felt forced to me...

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Crazy theory time (and I do mean crazy): In the blackout issue, Bloodshot at one point loses his grip on Jesse. Is it possible that he was reconnected with a Jesse doppleganger and "this creature", as Samedi calls her, is not the real Jesse?

It's far fetched since there's the nanite aspect within Jesse to take into account, but ya know... comics.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

grendeljd wrote:Gotta say that I'm not enjoying this story arc all that much, overall. There's some cool stuff mixed in there for sure, but by contrast with Ninja-K #6, this arc has felt like a toss-up of random disjointed / non-sensical elements that are used as lazy problem solving from the writing angle.

I was wondering right from the start of Salvation how they were going to resolve the timelines with young Jessie seeming to be out of sync with the present day storyline, but that has been tied up a little too conveniently here with "Magic" [wave hands]. I do think it will be an interesting factor in future stories though - having her running around as a kid sidekick will probably make for some fun stories once Ray comes back to the present day.

Now I'm wondering, did she actually age in terms of some life experience in the deadside (ala Magick in Limbo from New Mutants), or was it a shunted thing and she's mainly running on nanite instinct with the mind of an infant? I need to re-read the first arc now to remind myself what her behaviour was like.

The art was absolutely fantastic in this issue though - loved the painted "flesh walls" in the deadside, the demon character designs & the way Rampage looks in the painted style. Those scenes were actually my favourite from this issue - really dig the character development for Rampage at this stage of the game, before we've really seen him in action. The scarred mans brother... gives him some depth.
Poking around due to sheer boredom at work, decided to learn a bit about Voodoo/Vodo/Vodun. Stumbled upon Baron Samedi and who/what he is all about.

Baron Samedi is the loa of the dead, I think we all already knew something like that.

He is also a rude, drunkard, obnoxious, and a trickster. He is also the giver of life. he can cure any mortal disease or wound. I think this too we knew.

But with all of this, I think it easily explains the aging process, although maybe in the book they chopped too much of it out. Baron Samedi was making Bloodshot play the repeat game over and over for years. With Samedi being the giver of life, or to refuse death, maybe played this game repeat with Bloodshot until Jessie was closer to death, but her death wasn't supposed to happen until she was a certain age. When he denied death, maybe it could only be at the point when Jessie was at her closest to death.

With him being a trixter, and being obnoxious, maybe robbing baby Jessie of her infancy is the horrible joke played on a father that was struggling to protect his child. You never feel a child is more vulnerable than those first few years. Once they get passed a certain point (say 4 or 5/Kindergarden) your fears lessen quite a bit.

Some of the scariest parts of being a father do occur in those first few years, but some of the sweetest memories also occur. Baron Samedi robbed Bloodshot of those moments, he will never get a chance to hear first words, see the first steps, play peek-a-boo, etc. He also robbed Bloodshot of those fears as well, which could come back to haunt him and cause him to make those same mistakes all over again.
Moose

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

The Baron Samedi of my youth.

Oh yeah. When I was 12, I fell in love with Jane Seymour.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Crazy, fun issue... I’m just gonna roll with this and hope Lemire ensures it all makes sense. Generally, I’m not a fan of when main characters get sons/daughters as it seems a short term gimmick and that eventually the status quo will return, will Valiant be any different or is Jessie here to stay? :? Lemire will have to tread carefully with how he explains Jessie’s mental development if she’s been in Deadside from being a baby until now :hm:

I agree that Shadowman and this Deadside arc feels ‘forced’ as it did when the same happened in the previous Ninjak ongoing and essentially ruined it, but here Lemire is moving things on quickly enough so I’m ok with it.

The scarred man and Rampage relationship is one of the most interesting aspects of the whole Bloodshot Salvation run for me so far and I like how Lemire keeps dropping in little progress updates on this.

Slight gripe...how is Ninjak drinking tea with his mask still on? Come on Guedes, think about it! :lol:

4/5 - action, crazy and fun issue!