What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by lorddunlow »

geocarr wrote:Read the East of West HC and I am hooked and want the rest of the story. Great art!
It is so good. The best comic currently being produced.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
geocarr wrote:Read the East of West HC and I am hooked and want the rest of the story. Great art!
+1, although Lazarus & Imperium are mighty damn close to being tied with it, for me personally...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

jeremycoe wrote:Finished Lazarus vol. 3. Now I want to read all 3 volumes again. What a great book!
:high-five:

If you're a fan, I highly recommend seeking out the Hardcover - lots of great stuff in the back, including profiles of the families, plus an epic world map laying out all their territorial borders. I'm stuck living in Bittner's lands, allied with Hock!! :o
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
+1, although Lazarus & Imperium are mighty damn close to being tied with it, for me personally...
I really need to catch up on Lazarus. I've only read the first arc.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

grendeljd wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:Finished Lazarus vol. 3. Now I want to read all 3 volumes again. What a great book!

If you're a fan, I highly recommend seeking out the Hardcover - lots of great stuff in the back, including profiles of the families, plus an epic world map laying out all their territorial borders. I'm stuck living in Bittner's lands, allied with Hock!! :o
I've been thinking of getting the HC and maybe donating the first two trades to the local library.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

jeremycoe wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

I've been thinking of getting the HC and maybe donating the first two trades to the local library.
Dooooo eeeeeet...

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Dooooo eeeeeet...

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Dooooo eeeeeet...
I'm still behind on VEI. I still need to read Imperium and the last 2 (or 3) issues of Unity.

Oh, and <sigh> Quantum and Woody out the wazoo. That will be the very last thing I do. Maybe in life.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

slym2none wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
slym2none wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:i've been wanting to read Akira. is there a hard cover edition?
I honestly have no idea, but if so, it would be multiple hardcovers. The first volume of the trades is 360+ pages, and I don't think any of the volumes are less than 280 pages.

I will admit, I went into the library as I passed it while out yesterday, just to pick up the next two volumes. I am already halfway through vol. 3... it is really, really good. I would even claim that there is no over-hyping this story - it really stands up and shines on its own, even 30 years after it was written. You can also see that this is where a lot of modern manga and other genres were influenced by.
I've been itching to read Akira too!

I completed my set of the original 38 graphic novels last summer after many years of picking away at hunting for them at Cons & comic shops (without reading any!) - but haven't yet gotten started on them. It remains my all time favourite anime film. :thumb: :thumb:
All I will say is - be ready to be blown away!

-slym
I started reading them this week - one per night. Soo great. I'm really enamoured with the fine line work & insane level of detail in the artwork. It's incredible, and super inspiring to read this thing slowly, taking lots of time to absorb every panel...

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

Just finished re-reading Walking Dead issues 1-132!

I am reading Fear Agent now.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

I'm in the midst of reading New Teen Titans Vol. 2 and I have to say, #11-12 are a master's class in how to create great comics. It's a two-part story wherein Wonder Girl, Starfire, and Raven assist the Amazons in dealing with the rebirth of the Titans of classic Greek myth, who launch an assault upon Olympus to regain what they feel is their rightful place.

It's contained, but has such an epic feel to it, Wolfman imparts some terrific drama and character moments (especially for Donna) and Perez delivers such great action sequences. The ending is both sad and hopeful (as a reader, you kinda want to root against Hyperion and the other Titans, but upon reading of the loss Hyperion feels in #12, you're moved to sadness over him, that's a heck of a feat by Wolfman).

Just some really great comics and stories in this volume, nay this whole series.

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

My current pull list:

All Valiant titles.

Everything else:

Baltimore
BPRD
Hellboy in Hell
Hellboy BPRD 1952
Abe Sapien
Walking Dead
Moon Knight
Conan Avenger
Spawn
Black Hood
Creepy
Eerie
Savage Sword
Frankenstein Underground
Black Beetle
Star Wars
Darth Vader

I'm very into horror rags. I order the Creepy and Eerie archives whenever I can afford them.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

re reading green lantern sinstro corps war just great stuff

String

Post by String »

I recently bought Hellboy Vol. 1 Seed of Destruction, finally deciding it's time to catch up with this title and character.

So I was wondering, in relation to the other series such as BPRD or Abe Sapien and such, is there any specific reading order to the Hellboy Universe? Should I wait to read BPRD till after I reach a certain point in reading Hellboy? Are they any major storylines that need to be read in order? I just don't want to inadvertently spoil myself since this is my first foray into Hellboy.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

There is a specific reading order that I recommend to people when the first start reading Hellboy. I spent a lot of time figuring out the perfect reading order that will give the most impact for my binding project. I will send it to you via pm sometime today.
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Peter David's Spectacular Spider-man run....so good!!! :cloud9:

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

caxiotis wrote:There is a specific reading order that I recommend to people when the first start reading Hellboy. I spent a lot of time figuring out the perfect reading order that will give the most impact for my binding project. I will send it to you via pm sometime today.

Please post in here or pm me too, someday I will get into this beast and would like to be ready. :thumb:
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

nscc wrote:
caxiotis wrote:There is a specific reading order that I recommend to people when the first start reading Hellboy. I spent a lot of time figuring out the perfect reading order that will give the most impact for my binding project. I will send it to you via pm sometime today.

Please post in here or pm me too, someday I will get into this beast and would like to be ready. :thumb:
Here is the way I would read Hellboy. I put a lot of time into determining this order and used it for my bind. Note the order jumps around a little bit, but is worth reading this way. Also does not include books published in the last 5 months. Enjoy

Hellboy Universe Reading Order

1.) Hellboy TPB 1: Seed of Destruction

2.) Hellboy: The Wolves of St. August; Collected in Hellboy TPB 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

3.) Hellboy: The Corpse; Collected in Hellboy TPB 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

4.) Hellboy: The Iron Shoes; Collected in Hellboy TPB 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

5.) Hellboy: The Baba Yaga, Collected in Hellboy TPB #3: The Chained Coffin and Others

6.) Hellboy: A Christmas Underground; Collected in Hellboy TPB 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

7) Hellboy: The Chained Coffin; Collected in Hellboy TPB 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

8.) Hellboy TPB 2: Wake the Devil

9.) Hellboy: Almost Colossus; Collected in Hellboy TPB 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

10.) Hellboy TPB 4: The Right Hand of Doom

11.) Hellboy TPB 5: Conqueror Worm

12.) Hellboy TPB 7: The Troll Witch and Others

13.) B.P.R.D. TPB 1: The Hollow Earth & Other Stories

14.) Hellboy: The Third Wish; Collected in Hellboy TPB 6: Strange Places

15.) B.P.R.D. TPB 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories

16.) B.P.R.D. TPB 3: Plague of Frogs

17.) B.P.R.D. TPB 4: The Dead

18.) Hellboy: The Island; Collected in Hellboy TPB 6: Strange Places

19.) B.P.R.D. TPB 5: The Black Flame

20.) B.P.R.D.: War on Frogs #1;Collected in B.P.R.D. TPB 12: War on Frogs

21.) B.P.R.D. Revival; Collected in B.P.R.D. TPB 12: War on Frogs

22.) B.P.R.D.: War on Frogs #2; Collected in B.P.R.D. TPB 12: War on Frogs

23.) B.P.R.D.: War on Frogs #4; Collected in B.P.R.D. TPB 12: War on Frogs

24.) B.P.R.D. TPB 6: The Universal Machine

25.) B.P.R.D. TPB 7: Garden of Souls

26.) B.P.R.D.: War on Frogs #3; Collected in B.P.R.D. TPB 12: War on Frogs

27.) Lobster Johnson TPB 1: The Iron Prometheus

28.) Collected in B.P.R.D. TPB 8: Killing Ground

29.) Hellboy: The Mole; Collected in Hellboy TPB 10: The Crooked Man and Others

30.) Hellboy TPB 8: Darkness Calls

31.) How Koshchei Became Deathless; Collected in Hellboy Weird Tales (only the HC version)

32.) Baba Yaga’s Feast; Collected in Hellboy Weird Tales (only the HC version)

33.) The Burial of Katharine Baker; Collected in Witchfinder TPB 1: In the Service of Angels

34.) B.P.R.D. TPB 10: The Warning

35.) Hellboy TPB 9: The Wild Hunt

I like this here in the reading order because of the transition at the end of the Warning where Abe says “I wish Hellboy was here” goes well with the Wild Hunt being the next trade. Another way to structure this would be to put the first Witchfinder trade here and the Wild Hunt immediately after the King of Fear

36.) B.P.R.D. TPB 11: The Black Goddess

37.) Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder: Murderous Intent; Collected in Witchfinder TPB 1: In the Service of Angels

38.) Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels; Collected in Witchfinder TPB 1: In the Service of Angels

#37 & #38 can either go here or before the Black Goddess. Personally I think it would have better impact to read this before the Black Goddess, but I want the Hellboy Wild Hunt to be after The Warning and having two separate trades between the Warning and the Black Goddess seems like too big a gap

39.) B.P.R.D. TPB 14: King of Fear

Note: 40-64 are hellboy universe stories that take place between the years 1800’s (witchfinder) and 1946 through the 1990’s. I put these in order of timeline continuity, which actually shows a few interesting connections that might not be noticed if reading the stories in a different order.

40.) Witchfinder TPB 2: Lost and Gone Forever

41.) B.P.R.D. TPB 9: 1946

42.) B.P.R.D. TPB 13: 1947

43.) Hellboy: The Midnight Circus; Original Graphic Novel

44.) B.P.R.D. TPB: 1948

45.) B.P.R.D. Vampire TPB 1

46.) Hellboy: In Mexico or a Drunken Blur,; Collected in Hellboy TPB 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

47.) Hellboy versus the Aztec Mummy; Uncollected

48.) Hellboy Gets Married Parts 1 & 2; Uncollected

48.5) Hellboy: Coffin Man (uncollected)

49.) Hellboy: House of the Living Dead; Original Graphic Novel

50.) Hellboy: The Crooked Man; Collected in Hellboy TPB 10: The Crooked Man and Others

51.) Hellboy: Doube Feature of Evil,; Collected in Hellboy TPB 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

52.) Hellboy: The Sleeping and the Dead; Collected in Hellboy TPB 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

53.) B.P.R.D.: The Dead Remembered; Collected in B.P.R.D. TPB: Being Human

54.) Abe Sapien TPB 1: The Drowning

55.) B.P.R.D.: Casualties; Collected in B.P.R.D. TPB: Being Human

56.) Abe Sapien TPB 2: The Devil Does Not Jest and Other Stories

57.) Abe Sapien (series issue #18): The Land of the Dead; Uncollected

58.) Hellboy: The Bride of Hell; Collected in Hellboy TPB 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

59.) Hellboy: The Whittier Legacy; Collected in Hellboy TPB 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

60.) Hellboy: Buster Oakley Gets His Wish; Collected in Hellboy TPB 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

61.) Hellboy: They That Go Down to the Sea in Ships; Collected in Hellboy TPB 10: The Crooked Man and Others

62.) Hellboy: In the Chapel of Moloch; Collected in Hellboy TPB 10: The Crooked Man and Others

63.) Hellboy: Being Human; Collected in B.P.R.D. TPB: Being Human

64.) B.P.R.D.: The Ectoplasmic Man; Collected in B.P.R.D. TPB: Being Human

65.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth TPB 1: New World

66.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: Gods; Collected in B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth TPB 2: Gods and Monsters

67.) Hellboy TPB 12: The Storm and the Fury

68.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: Monsters; Collected in B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth TPB 2: Gods and Monsters

69.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth TPB 3: Russia

70.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth TPB 4: The Devil’s Engine & the Long Death

71.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth TPB 5: The Pickens County Horror & Others

72.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth (#93): The Transformation of J.H. O’Donnell; Collected in B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth TPB 5: The Pickens County Horror & Others

73.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth (#95 & 97): Exorcism; Uncollected

74.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth TPB 6: The Return of the Master

75.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth (#103-104): The Abyss of Time; Collected in B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth TPB 5: The Pickens County Horror and Others.

This could be read before the Return of the Master with the other Hell on Earth TPB 5 stories, as this story supposedly takes place before Return of the Master. I personally believe it takes place during Return of the Master and is better placed here. This is because I feel this story transitions better into Hellboy In Hell TPB 1 than into Return of the Master. Pay attention to the building that the BPRD team enters in Chicago and what they see before the guy goes into the trace. It will have a bigger impact when you get to the end of Hellboy In Hell TPB 1 than if you had read it before Return of the Master.

76.) Hellboy in Hell TPB 1: The Descent

77.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: A Cold Day In Hell; Collected in B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth TPB 7: A Cold Day in Hell

78.) Abe Sapien: The Dark and the Terrible; Collected in Abe Sapien TPB 3: Dark and Terrible and The New Race of Man

79.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: Wasteland; Collected in B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth TPB 7: A Cold Day in Hell

80.) Abe Sapien: The New Race of Man; Collected in Abe Sapien TPB 3: Dark and Terrible and The New Race of Man

81.) B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth TPB 8: Lake of Fire

82.) B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth TPB 9: Reign of the Black Flame

83.) Abe Sapien TPB 4

84.) B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth TPB 10

85.) Abe Sapien TPB 5

1.) Lobster Johnson TPB 2-4

2.) Sledge-Hammer 44: TPB 1

3.) Witchfinder TPB 3[/quote]

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

caxiotis wrote:
nscc wrote:

Here is the way I would read Hellboy. I put a lot of time into determining this order and used it for my bind. Note the order jumps around a little bit, but is worth reading this way. Also does not include books published in the last 5 months. Enjoy

2.) Hellboy: The Wolves of St. August; Collected in Hellboy TPB 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

3.) Hellboy: The Corpse; Collected in Hellboy TPB 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

4.) Hellboy: The Iron Shoes; Collected in Hellboy TPB 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

5.) Hellboy: The Baba Yaga, Collected in Hellboy TPB #3: The Chained Coffin and Others

6.) Hellboy: A Christmas Underground; Collected in Hellboy TPB 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

7) Hellboy: The Chained Coffin; Collected in Hellboy TPB 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

9.) Hellboy: Almost Colossus; Collected in Hellboy TPB 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

31.) How Koshchei Became Deathless; Collected in Hellboy Weird Tales (only the HC version)

33.) The Burial of Katharine Baker; Collected in Witchfinder TPB 1: In the Service of Angels

I like this here in the reading order because of the transition at the end of the Warning where Abe says “I wish Hellboy was here” goes well with the Wild Hunt being the next trade. Another way to structure this would be to put the first Witchfinder trade here and the Wild Hunt immediately after the King of Fear

37.) Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder: Murderous Intent; Collected in Witchfinder TPB 1: In the Service of Angels

38.) Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels; Collected in Witchfinder TPB 1: In the Service of Angels

#37 & #38 can either go here or before the Black Goddess. Personally I think it would have better impact to read this before the Black Goddess, but I want the Hellboy Wild Hunt to be after The Warning and having two separate trades between the Warning and the Black Goddess seems like too big a gap

Note: 40-64 are hellboy universe stories that take place between the years 1800’s (witchfinder) and 1946 through the 1990’s. I put these in order of timeline continuity, which actually shows a few interesting connections that might not be noticed if reading the stories in a different order.

46.) Hellboy: In Mexico or a Drunken Blur,; Collected in Hellboy TPB 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

50.) Hellboy: The Crooked Man; Collected in Hellboy TPB 10: The Crooked Man and Others

51.) Hellboy: Doube Feature of Evil,; Collected in Hellboy TPB 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

52.) Hellboy: The Sleeping and the Dead; Collected in Hellboy TPB 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

58.) Hellboy: The Bride of Hell; Collected in Hellboy TPB 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

59.) Hellboy: The Whittier Legacy; Collected in Hellboy TPB 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

60.) Hellboy: Buster Oakley Gets His Wish; Collected in Hellboy TPB 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

61.) Hellboy: They That Go Down to the Sea in Ships; Collected in Hellboy TPB 10: The Crooked Man and Others

62.) Hellboy: In the Chapel of Moloch; Collected in Hellboy TPB 10: The Crooked Man and Others

66.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: Gods; Collected in B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth TPB 2: Gods and Monsters

68.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: Monsters; Collected in B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth TPB 2: Gods and Monsters

72.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth (#93): The Transformation of J.H. O’Donnell; Collected in B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth TPB 5: The Pickens County Horror & Others

75.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth (#103-104): The Abyss of Time; Collected in B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth TPB 5: The Pickens County Horror and Others.

This could be read before the Return of the Master with the other Hell on Earth TPB 5 stories, as this story supposedly takes place before Return of the Master. I personally believe it takes place during Return of the Master and is better placed here. This is because I feel this story transitions better into Hellboy In Hell TPB 1 than into Return of the Master. Pay attention to the building that the BPRD team enters in Chicago and what they see before the guy goes into the trace. It will have a bigger impact when you get to the end of Hellboy In Hell TPB 1 than if you had read it before Return of the Master.

77.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: A Cold Day In Hell; Collected in B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth TPB 7: A Cold Day in Hell

78.) Abe Sapien: The Dark and the Terrible; Collected in Abe Sapien TPB 3: Dark and Terrible and The New Race of Man

79.) B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: Wasteland; Collected in B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth TPB 7: A Cold Day in Hell

80.) Abe Sapien: The New Race of Man; Collected in Abe Sapien TPB 3: Dark and Terrible and The New Race of Man

83.) Abe Sapien TPB 4

85.) Abe Sapien TPB 5

3.) Witchfinder TPB 3
[/quote]

If I just wanted to read BPRD, could I go by the posted order? Or does it change by taking the other books out?

BTW, thanks so much for posting this.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I'm currently (slowly) reading through Batman Endgame.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

caxiotis wrote:
nscc wrote:

83.) Abe Sapien TPB 4

85.) Abe Sapien TPB 5

3.) Witchfinder TPB 3
[/quote]

Hell yea! Thanks a lot for this. :thumb:
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

Elveen wrote:If I just wanted to read BPRD, could I go by the posted order? Or does it change by taking the other books out?

BTW, thanks so much for posting this.
You can still go with the posted order. If you only want to read BPRD then I would recommend reading it with all of the Abe Sapien tpbs, the first two witchfinder tpbs, and the first lobster johnson tpb.

If you only wanted to read Hellboy, I would change the order a little bit.

As of right now I don't feel that witchfinder tpb 3, Sledge-Hammer 44 tpb, and Lobster Johnson TPB 2-4 directly add to the BPRD story, but that could change with what will be published.

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

caxiotis wrote:
nscc wrote:

83.) Abe Sapien TPB 4

85.) Abe Sapien TPB 5

3.) Witchfinder TPB 3
[/quote]
Wow man great post! I have all of those, been a fan of Hellboy since the begining. If you (anybody) likes Hellboy I'd give that Amazing Screw On Head one shot a chance, I love the poo out of that comic. The cartoon was pretty rad too.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

lots of hellboy greatness there

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

lorddunlow wrote:
I agree 100%. I just finished the first three trades. When I was done I couldn't read anything for a week. Nothing looked as clean and crisp to my eyes. I brought them in to work for a co worker to read and when was done he brought them to my desk and said he already looked up the release date for volume 4. The story, Art, dialog, pace, and style of this book is exceptional.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;