X-O Manowar #12 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
X-O Manowar #12 Discussion

Post by otomo »

Well.... I really don't like the art on this arc. It's detailed, but the figures look a little stiff... which I could go off on a naked Aric joke, but I'll spare you. The colors feel a bit too saturated too, just really huge dip in art quality for this arc which is a bummer.

Despite the art's being a bit wonky, the slow build of this whole thing is really starting to pay off. In fact, now I'm looking at it going "wow there was so much awesome Gorin worldbuilding, I think it's going to be a shame to leave this. There's a lot of story/potential here." I'm a bit sad this is coming to an end but the entire arc's purpose is Aric's need for the good skin, not trusting, using it sparingly, and returning to form. We're there now. It paid off. And it hit all the emotional points in this issue even with limited art. Literal backstabbing from a Bruto (Brutus... I think Kindt probably should have been a little subtler than that heh), and the build up to the end was great. Aric crawling across the floor, dying, helpless, needing the armor to survive really was a wonderful scene.

This was one of the most fulfilling comics I've ever read is what it comes down to.

Even with not the best art, I give this a 9/10.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: X-O Manowar #12 Discussion

Post by nonplayer »

otomo wrote:Well.... I really don't like the art on this arc. It's detailed, but the figures look a little stiff... which I could go off on a naked Aric joke, but I'll spare you. The colors feel a bit too saturated too, just really huge dip in art quality for this arc which is a bummer.

Despite the art's being a bit wonky, the slow build of this whole thing is really starting to pay off. In fact, now I'm looking at it going "wow there was so much awesome Gorin worldbuilding, I think it's going to be a shame to leave this. There's a lot of story/potential here." I'm a bit sad this is coming to an end but the entire arc's purpose is Aric's need for the good skin, not trusting, using it sparingly, and returning to form. We're there now. It paid off. And it hit all the emotional points in this issue even with limited art. Literal backstabbing from a Bruto (Brutus... I think Kindt probably should have been a little subtler than that heh), and the build up to the end was great. Aric crawling across the floor, dying, helpless, needing the armor to survive really was a wonderful scene.

This was one of the most fulfilling comics I've ever read is what it comes down to.

Even with not the best art, I give this a 9/10.
I agree +1
I dont like how aric looks old with a great beard or his short hair cut. Also were is the schon tail.
I hope bruto dies horribly
I Miss the good old days.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I agree, this definitely seems like Valiant's answer to requests they've been getting for years:

- Stop making everything exactly four-issue stories
- Spend more time Universe-building
- Make us care more about character motivations and their deaths

So, VEI gave us X-O Manowar, their flagship character, in a 12-issue story that spent time Universe-building and possibly did make us care more about character motivations and their deaths after those first four issues... and we still want to know what happens next with more answers in the full X-O story since 2012.

Fans asked, VEI answered. :thumb:

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

greg wrote:Fans asked, VEI answered. :thumb:
+1 Nice cliffhanger ending. A culmination of Aric’s (year long/world building) off planet adventures.
#StayValiant

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Where did his armor come from? Did he hide some/all of it under the table in the room before all this and wear a facsimile that the real suit made? Or are there 2 armors now?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

greg

Post by greg »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Where did his armor come from? Did he hide some/all of it under the table in the room before all this and wear a facsimile that the real suit made? Or are there 2 armors now?
Maybe it was a callback to the control ring. He just pretended to let them take his armor, because he could swallow the ring anytime.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Good skin! :clap: :clap: :clap: Wow, I have waited five years for that phrase!

Theory on Shanhara's escape: Having consumed Bat, she now has pure biological material at her disposal. She creates a flesh tube, inserts it through the shield, thus breaching it, and simply flows out through it.

I liked the art. Not crazy about him being covered in x-shaped scars; they are obviously still wrestling with how to incorporate the name of the book into the character. I disliked the whole "executive officer" explanation. Just say it's an X-O Manowar class armor. Don't overthink it.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

greg wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:Where did his armor come from? Did he hide some/all of it under the table in the room before all this and wear a facsimile that the real suit made? Or are there 2 armors now?
Maybe it was a callback to the control ring. He just pretended to let them take his armor, because he could swallow the ring anytime.
Except it didn't come from inside him, or from his pool of blood. It came from the direction of his feet, because that's what it reached out to first. In another panel looking from above, the closest thing to his feet was the conference table, which is why I suggested that he maybe hid some or all of it there earlier.

Maybe the Gin-ger head went and freed his armor while the mercs were on their way to the meeting, and then it freed the armor somehow? Maybe we'll get a flashback next issue explaining it (I hope).
Viva la Valiant!

greg

Post by greg »

jmatt wrote:Theory on Shanhara's escape: Having consumed Bat, she now has pure biological material at her disposal. She creates a flesh tube, inserts it through the shield, thus breaching it, and simply flows out through it.
Couldn't Shanhara just spin in the pool of blood like a basketball hitting that puddle (on everyone's driveway) after rain?

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

Every time the art changes I think I don't like it at first then realize I really like it. This art really makes the Bounty Hunters and other Gorins feel really distinct to me, I love it.

I was just assuming Baz-L freed Shanhara, but I do think there is more to Shanhara eating Bat that we see now. It's different than any other way we've seen Shanhara kill, that makes me think there is a significance. Maybe Shanhara needed fuel, maybe shes reproducing for some reason, just turning a lifeform directly into an armor instead of replacing it piece by piece. I'm interested, I think we may see something else come from that, or Bat somehow still being significant. jmatt's fleshtube idea is great, that would awesome

I predicted two bounty hunters would survive, it's hard to imagine that only one will die next issue. I hope there is more coming from these guys, I'd like them to at least pop up from time to time like Quartz and Helix.
greg wrote:I agree, this definitely seems like Valiant's answer to requests they've been getting for years:

I'm very happy about this series and how they've handled it.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

greg wrote:
jmatt wrote:Theory on Shanhara's escape: Having consumed Bat, she now has pure biological material at her disposal. She creates a flesh tube, inserts it through the shield, thus breaching it, and simply flows out through it.
Couldn't Shanhara just spin in the pool of blood like a basketball hitting that puddle (on everyone's driveway) after rain?
Not sure I understand the analogy.

Btw, I like your three point observation.
Last edited by jmatt on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:47:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

tell wrote: jmatt's fleshtube idea is great, that would awesome
I have to admit, that's the first time I've used used the terms flesh tube, insert and flow in one sentence. :lol:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue, please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr155/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg

Post by greg »

jmatt wrote:
greg wrote:
Not sure I understand the analogy.
I had a basketball goal as a kid, and so did other kids in my neighborhood. After it rained, it didn't matter whose house we played basketball, the ball would eventually bounce into a puddle, splat, and cover itself in water. There wasn't a dry spot on the ball. If Shanhara did the same thing in Bat's blood, it should fly right through the barrier. :)

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I enjoyed this issue and like others have said, the payoff for sticking with the world building is now paying off. I agreed with a comment from Chris (OTV) on the ‘new character fatigue’, but 12 issues in and they feel more established (albeit some are now dead and he’s about to leave (Goran).

Not a fan of how Aric is drawn, but I don’t hate the art and I do like how the bounty hunters are drawn. I did have a slight issue that Bat’s arm had been cut off in the battle with Aric but later reappeared? Not sure if the character had the ability to regrow limbs but he’s dead now so I guess it doesn’t matter :? I really liked the colours in the book though. :thumb:

Enjoyable read 4.25/5 :clap:

greg

Post by greg »

Have we discussed that "Hesnid" is "Dinesh" rearranged?

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Just listening to the VCR episode, and just got one joke from this issue! After Aric jumps in front of the poison darts, then the traitor stabs him in the back... Upon which time Aric could have said - "Et too, Bruto?!" Eh, ehhh?! :D
Viva la Valiant!

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

greg wrote:Have we discussed that "Hesnid" is "Dinesh" rearranged?
:o :o :o :censored:
***Support your local farmers!***

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

greg wrote:Have we discussed that "Hesnid" is "Dinesh" rearranged?
Wow, great catch!

greg

Post by greg »

Did we figure out why Shanhara was trapped at all? Isn't it still "organic"? It was once a person and even though it was replaced with "machine" it was a tree for a long time and still has consciousness.

Maybe it could always leave the bubble, but Aric needed to wait until he knew his enemies and their plan better.

tell

Post by tell »

I have a bigger issue with Hesnid's sword being organic than Shanhara being inorganic. In issue 8 Shanhara says she can't cross the barrier but with enough time she could disable it. Hesnid's sword thing though? Looks metal, if it's supposed to be organic it would cooler to have made it look bone.

I forgot about Bat's arm, seems a bit sudden to regrow I'm guessing it's an art goof. Re-reading makes me think there is even more to Bat getting eaten, in the last panel of the first bounty hunter page Bat is reacting as if Shanhara is talking to him, or he is mesmerized somehow. I think Shanhara lured him in to be eaten for some reason.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

greg wrote:Did we figure out why Shanhara was trapped at all? Isn't it still "organic"? It was once a person and even though it was replaced with "machine" it was a tree for a long time and still has consciousness.

Maybe it could always leave the bubble, but Aric needed to wait until he knew his enemies and their plan better.
This never occurred to me, but now you mention it it does seem like an error!

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

By LUGH, that was an amazing issue! The “Good Skin” panel bought back memories of reading the original series.

I’m loving the art. Aric looks good, scars and all . The action panels were well done. Aric kicking *SQUEE* naked is classic early X-O Manowar.

The color is stunning. It’s like someone shined a light into the book. Some other issues were too dark. This is a hero / epic tale on another planet, not a horror / monster book. Heros need light (ok with the exception of Batman).

Overall 10/10

nwoslave
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite character: Spike
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nwoslave »

If you liked the art check out The Dying and the Dead, by Image. Great story about WW2 vets, secret societies and the Spear of Destiny.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

tell wrote:Every time the art changes I think I don't like it at first then realize I really like it. This art really makes the Bounty Hunters and other Gorins feel really distinct to me, I love it.

I was just assuming Baz-L freed Shanhara, but I do think there is more to Shanhara eating Bat that we see now. It's different than any other way we've seen Shanhara kill, that makes me think there is a significance. Maybe Shanhara needed fuel, maybe shes reproducing for some reason, just turning a lifeform directly into an armor instead of replacing it piece by piece. I'm interested, I think we may see something else come from that, or Bat somehow still being significant. jmatt's fleshtube idea is great, that would awesome

I predicted two bounty hunters would survive, it's hard to imagine that only one will die next issue. I hope there is more coming from these guys, I'd like them to at least pop up from time to time like Quartz and Helix.
greg wrote:I agree, this definitely seems like Valiant's answer to requests they've been getting for years:

I'm very happy about this series and how they've handled it.
Quartz and Helix pop up where? Just tell me the TPB volume, please.
What TPB is this issue #12 included in? And the term FLESHTUBE needs to be used way more often.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?