What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:And oddly enough, the necro-quote is completely on topic. :screwy:
I was wondering about the glitch you mentioned - on my iPhone, through Safari browsing the site, I have the same problem. It always seems to land on a page about 7 back from the current one when I select the new post icon. I have this problem with several threads, actually...
The only other thread that this happens to me on is the OTV thread.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:And oddly enough, the necro-quote is completely on topic. :screwy:
I was wondering about the glitch you mentioned - on my iPhone, through Safari browsing the site, I have the same problem. It always seems to land on a page about 7 back from the current one when I select the new post icon. I have this problem with several threads, actually...
The only other thread that this happens to me on is the OTV thread.
Same here. This thread and otv

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

I just finished re-reading the first 8 Invincible Ultimate collections which covers through issue 96.

If you haven't read it yet I highly suggest it.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Re-reading both The Dark Knight Returns & TDK Strikes Again currently.

:)

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Just finished The Surrogates and am starting The Surrogates: Flesh and Bone. That Venditti guy is pretty good. Valiant should take a look :)
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Secret Identities 1 & 2 from image. If you like Jay Faerber books, you'll love this. Jay has once again managed to find a talented artist out of nowhere who will get better and better and will be snatched up by marvel or DC. It's a team book that focuses on the bad guy and there was a mention of the Noble family so seems to be a part of the Faeberverse with Noble Causes, Dynamo 5, Firebirds, etc.

Good stuff, but I always love Jay's super hero work.
ASM Crossover Home

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Scion Vol. 1, my second foray into CrossGen comics. Rather good and Cheung's art is amazing.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Finally reading all these "Batman" HC editions:

Batman: Court of Owls HC Volume 1- Completed
Batman: The City of Owls HC Volume 2- Completed
Night of the Owls HC (Tie-in)- Completed
Batman: Death of the Family HC Volume 3- Completed
The Joker: Death of the Family HC (Tie-in)- Completed
Batman: Zero Year- Secret City HC Volume 4- Completed- Best so far!
Batman: Zero Year- Dark City HC Volume 5- Completed- Best so far!
DC Comics Zero Year HC (Tie-in)- Completed

Mkb28
Last edited by mkb28 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:35:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Invincible 118 - loved the toilet humour!! :lol: :clap:

Drifter #5 - surreal end to the first story arc. I am absolutely blown away by the incredible artwork in this series. Fantastic, bizzare sci-fi/western flavoured series. Reads like something straight out of Heavy Metal magazine. :thumb: :thumb:

Frankenstein Unbound #1 - a creative dream-team doing this book. Mike Mignola, Christopher Golden, Ben Stenbeck (a new top fave artist of mine), Dave Stewart... Great stuff.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr Noel
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: magnus
Favorite title: magnus/harbinger
Favorite writer: shooter

Post by Dr Noel »

Currently reading He-man MOTU. It's not fantastic, but I always find it fun to read comics about toys and/or video games I had as a kid.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Finished reading Rick Remender's Strange Girl Omnibus last night and LOVED IT until the ending which left me underwhelmed. It had a good strong existential start to it, then became all about the individual character relationships and action, then seemed to become overly supernatural for the sake of being supernatural, and then the underwhelming ending. I did really like it and still glad I read it but would have enjoyed it more if it had stayed more existential and philosophical throughout. The art changed a few times throughout which was annoying at times after I got used to it one way and then it would change.
***Support your local farmers!***

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
What comics are you reading now?

Post by caxiotis »

geocarr wrote:Finished reading Rick Remender's Strange Girl Omnibus last night and LOVED IT until the ending which left me underwhelmed. It had a good strong existential start to it, then became all about the individual character relationships and action, then seemed to become overly supernatural for the sake of being supernatural, and then the underwhelming ending. I did really like it and still glad I read it but would have enjoyed it more if it had stayed more existential and philosophical throughout. The art changed a few times throughout which was annoying at times after I got used to it one way and then it would change.
I liked it a lot until the end too. Because the end bugged so much, I now don't care about that story
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Amongst others, I have the first (only?) 7 Animal Man trades to read, after I am done with the phone-book sized trades of Akira.

That book... the first TPB was as exciting as the entire movie! I know they had to condense it some, but I never knew how much until now! Reading Akira is going to be so much more rewarding - even though I know how it ends, there's so much more in the manga!

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

slym2none wrote:Amongst others, I have the first (only?) 7 Animal Man trades to read, after I am done with the phone-book sized trades of Akira.

That book... the first TPB was as exciting as the entire movie! I know they had to condense it some, but I never knew how much until now! Reading Akira is going to be so much more rewarding - even though I know how it ends, there's so much more in the manga!

-slym
i've been wanting to read Akira. is there a hard cover edition?

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

ilzuccone wrote:i've been wanting to read Akira. is there a hard cover edition?
I honestly have no idea, but if so, it would be multiple hardcovers. The first volume of the trades is 360+ pages, and I don't think any of the volumes are less than 280 pages.

I will admit, I went into the library as I passed it while out yesterday, just to pick up the next two volumes. I am already halfway through vol. 3... it is really, really good. I would even claim that there is no over-hyping this story - it really stands up and shines on its own, even 30 years after it was written. You can also see that this is where a lot of modern manga and other genres were influenced by.

-slym

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

First two issues of Princess Leia were excellent! Not reading Star Wars (I hate everything Jason Aaron has ever done) and Darth Vader is mediocre in spite of Salvador Larocca's art, but this book is top notch. Waid's voicing and dialog is very much in keeping with the style of the films which is something that seems to elude most everyone who writes Star Wars comics. Dodson's art is as usual, highest quality.

Dr Noel
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: magnus
Favorite title: magnus/harbinger
Favorite writer: shooter

Post by Dr Noel »

Tim wrote:First two issues of Princess Leia were excellent! Not reading Star Wars (I hate everything Jason Aaron has ever done) and Darth Vader is mediocre in spite of Salvador Larocca's art, but this book is top notch. Waid's voicing and dialog is very much in keeping with the style of the films which is something that seems to elude most everyone who writes Star Wars comics. Dodson's art is as usual, highest quality.
I've liked Darth Vader so far because it's interesting to see that he wasn't always in the Emperor's favor. It's a neat angle.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Catching up. Caught up on X-O Manowar tonight.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

String

Post by String »

Sojourn Vol. 1. Interesting story, Land's art was very good, and I liked the dog.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

slym2none wrote:
I honestly have no idea, but if so, it would be multiple hardcovers. The first volume of the trades is 360+ pages, and I don't think any of the volumes are less than 280 pages.

I will admit, I went into the library as I passed it while out yesterday, just to pick up the next two volumes. I am already halfway through vol. 3... it is really, really good. I would even claim that there is no over-hyping this story - it really stands up and shines on its own, even 30 years after it was written. You can also see that this is where a lot of modern manga and other genres were influenced by.

-slym
I've been itching to read Akira too!

I completed my set of the original 38 graphic novels last summer after many years of picking away at hunting for them at Cons & comic shops (without reading any!) - but haven't yet gotten started on them. It remains my all time favourite anime film. :thumb: :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Dr Noel wrote:
Tim wrote:First two issues of Princess Leia were excellent! Not reading Star Wars (I hate everything Jason Aaron has ever done) and Darth Vader is mediocre in spite of Salvador Larocca's art, but this book is top notch. Waid's voicing and dialog is very much in keeping with the style of the films which is something that seems to elude most everyone who writes Star Wars comics. Dodson's art is as usual, highest quality.
I've liked Darth Vader so far because it's interesting to see that he wasn't always in the Emperor's favor. It's a neat angle.
Funny, I decided not to pick up the Leia mini series (despite being a big fan of Dodson), but I'm reading & enjoying the main SW book & the Darth Vader book (although it's not quite as good). The story concept in Darth Vader of his fallout with the Emperor has been explored in comics before, so this isn't exactly fresh or original ground to trod.

I suppose since this stuff is all 'new canon' material though, it's a story worth exploring again.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

grendeljd wrote:
slym2none wrote:

I've been itching to read Akira too!

I completed my set of the original 38 graphic novels last summer after many years of picking away at hunting for them at Cons & comic shops (without reading any!) - but haven't yet gotten started on them. It remains my all time favourite anime film. :thumb: :thumb:
All I will say is - be ready to be blown away!

-slym

jeremycoe

Post by jeremycoe »

Finished Lazarus vol. 3. Now I want to read all 3 volumes again. What a great book!

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Read the East of West HC and I am hooked and want the rest of the story. Great art!
***Support your local farmers!***

jeremycoe

Post by jeremycoe »

geocarr wrote:Read the East of West HC and I am hooked and want the rest of the story. Great art!
I can send you vol. 2 if you'll send it back when you're done. PM me if you're interested.