Bloodshot: Salvation #5 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Bloodshot: Salvation #5 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Ninjak vs. The Valiant Universe #1], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr149/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Re: Bloodshot: Salvation #5 Discussion

Post by otomo »

Fabulous. I'm a bit fixated on the nanite thing and how it works since someone on the board mentioned it. I don't think the explanation made a whole lot of sense here...buuuuut, got some nice action in here with Bloodshot (I mean Ray) kicking *SQUEE* and that's what I wanted. Thoroughly enjoyed and the art was beautiful. Not a whole lot of surprises but thoroughly enjoyable. 8/10
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Another solid issue. I love what Lemire is doing with this title and am enjoying the character cameos too :thumb:

this is meant to be the end of the first arc but if i were trade waiting i'd be a little annoyed insofar as it leaves with too much unfinished business (great for monthly collectors like me).

art is just great.

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

For me a solid 9/10. Very fun read. Art is excellent. Great action. Ninja-k cameo was unexpected and awesome. I like it when he appears and disappears out of knowhere in other titles....kinda like a ninja.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:Another solid issue. I love what Lemire is doing with this title and am enjoying the character cameos too :thumb:

this is meant to be the end of the first arc but if i were trade waiting i'd be a little annoyed insofar as it leaves with too much unfinished business (great for monthly collectors like me).

art is just great.
I agree It fell kinda short for me. I was expecting to see Ray dead. I feel suckered by a gotchya moment. Not much of a pay out. But I do enjoy the charater the struggle and the art so it's ok. 2.5 out of 5 guess magic is dead but under welming death.entertaimos
I Miss the good old days.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

A great issue and the art was fabulous, as ever. Still waiting on an explanation for the ability to switch off nanites but hopefully there will be an explanation at some point.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Agree with most of the sentiments here. Generally a very good story with great art as always. I think Rampage is potentially going to be a much cooler villain-type character in this iteration. Glad to see that Ninjak showed up to bail out Ray, that was a really nasty situation he was stuck in there.

Daddy was quite the horrific kind of sick, maniacal crazy person. Just a nutcase. It's only fitting that Ray killed him without any nanite assistance - some good character writing moments in there.

The elephant in the room is still this quick & easy off-switch that Omen has access to all of a sudden. I'm still waiting for a reasonable explanation for that.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:The elephant in the room is still this quick & easy off-switch that Omen has access to all of a sudden. I'm still waiting for a reasonable explanation for that.
A reasonable explanation could be a simple as they found the programmer that wrote the firmware and he tells them he left open a back door during the early days as a fail-safe... just in case something went wrong. Dress that up with a couple of pages of story and I'd be satisfied.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

jmatt wrote:
grendeljd wrote:The elephant in the room is still this quick & easy off-switch that Omen has access to all of a sudden. I'm still waiting for a reasonable explanation for that.
A reasonable explanation could be a simple as they found the programmer that wrote the firmware and he tells them he left open a back door during the early days as a fail-safe... just in case something went wrong. Dress that up with a couple of pages of story and I'd be satisfied.
The thing is, there was never a reason to use it before. During Bloodshot Reborn, Ray was basically helping PRS test their new weapons. In Bloodshot USA PRS wasn't even aware that Deathmate could switch sides, and by the time they did Kay had already killed Kozol. When there was a need for a kill switch, there was never time to react.

Simpler explanation was that during Bloodshot USA PRS introduced the kill switch while the Bloodshot Squad was in their custody.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Great issue! Some disturbing scenes, as has been the case with this run so far, but it all added to the drama. In some ways it would have been good if Daddy had survived as he was an interesting character but it was also satisfying to see him get his comeuppance too.

The moving timelines can be slightly confusing at times and I’m also not clear wha5 happens to the ‘old’ Bloodshot’s when their nanites get switched off?

Art was great, especially Larosa :thumb:

Thoroughly enjoyable 5/5 :clap:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

SuperMage wrote:
jmatt wrote:
The thing is, there was never a reason to use it before. During Bloodshot Reborn, Ray was basically helping PRS test their new weapons. In Bloodshot USA PRS wasn't even aware that Deathmate could switch sides, and by the time they did Kay had already killed Kozol. When there was a need for a kill switch, there was never time to react.

Simpler explanation was that during Bloodshot USA PRS introduced the kill switch while the Bloodshot Squad was in their custody.
While I like your explanation, right from issue #1 they were blasting Bloodshot to smithereens whenever he went off script and they wanted to retrieve him. A nanite switch would have been a lot easier.

But our explanations are not mutually exclusive. My story + your timeline.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:
SuperMage wrote:
jmatt wrote:

While I like your explanation, right from issue #1 they were blasting Bloodshot to smithereens whenever he went off script and they wanted to retrieve him. A nanite switch would have been a lot easier.

I see potential in your idea, jmatt - but it still goes against the grain of the original established continuity. A backdoor software switch that *nobody* was aware of "in the early days" except one programmer, that was always there? It could work, but still a stretch to retcon that in.

And while it's also possible to say this thing was installed during the time they were on Bloodshot island, why didn't they use it to stop him during the big BS:USA fiasco?

I still have to try to forget about this thing while I read the book in order to enjoy it - if Valiant editorial doesn't care about their continuity all that much, then why would I? I can't get too invested in reading anything in a shared universe when this appears to be the attitude towards it. Too much mental gymnastics required on the part of the reader to fill in a gaping plot point is not my idea of a good reading experience.

All harshness aside though, the book has been quite good otherwise!

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Finally caught up. Brutal issue. I think Ray did the right thing, Daddy was a piece of sh!t. Looking forward to this Deadside arc, but it seems like the solicitations have been changed a bit...
#StayValiant

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
SuperMage wrote:
jmatt wrote:

I see potential in your idea, jmatt - but it still goes against the grain of the original established continuity. A backdoor software switch that *nobody* was aware of "in the early days" except one programmer, that was always there? It could work, but still a stretch to retcon that in.
Yeah but... how else can it be explained? I agree with you that it is a serious lapse in continuity.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
SuperMage wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Yeah but... how else can it be explained? I agree with you that it is a serious lapse in continuity.
And to be clear, I think you're onto a good idea that is likely to be the best possible solution for that lapse. It's just unfortunate that we have to be in this situation as readers & fans where we're stuck with having to overlook it to enjoy the rest. That is potentially ruinous.

But as I've essentially said above, I can overlook it because it's a very enjoyable series otherwise. If it weren't...

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

After Bloodshot USA, they could have run a diagnostic on the nanites that Livewire was able to kill and create a "Livewire kill method" to broadcast.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

greg wrote:After Bloodshot USA, they could have run a diagnostic on the nanites that Livewire was able to kill and create a "Livewire kill method" to broadcast.
:hm:

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

greg wrote:After Bloodshot USA, they could have run a diagnostic on the nanites that Livewire was able to kill and create a "Livewire kill method" to broadcast.
I've also wondered if this is a new ability by some technopath as a result of BSUSA. I wouldn't think Livewire would help Omen create that technology but I'd definitely think she's capable. Possibly there's another technopath around, or even someone like Dr. Silk? PRS had a lot of secret assets, potentially psiot assets, and I'm not convinced that the Scarred Man isn't concealing some psiot ability himself.

Either way, I'm happy to wait for some answer instead of jumping onto the "plot hole! bad continuity!" bandwagon. The story is in progress, I'll judge that later.