The State of Collecting, share anecdotes on collectibles

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
The State of Collecting, share anecdotes on collectibles

Post by GGSAE »

Hey guys,

I just wanted to get views from people about their local collectible market, trends, things you notice, etc. For me, I'm surprised that card collecting still seems to have any validity, there's at least one local shop that advertises sports cards and they represent about 40% of the dealer tables at the local monthly show.

Retro Games:
I might be out of the loop so I don't know if this is a more recent phenomenon but it seems retro video games are just as popular or more so than comics in my area. On kijiji these ads far outnumber comics, especially the 'want to buy' dealer type ads. I'm somewhat surprised that older retro games go for so much more than current much-more powerful games. I also wish my family kept all our SNES and NES games! :o

MTG Cards: This seems like a category that's pretty active for buying and selling both after-market and current.

Toys seem to be fairly collectible although the buying/selling activity is nowhere compared to the two above.

Other...?

I wonder how these collectibles/misc. consumer products affect the comic hobby, especially if there's money movement into or out of comics and one of these other categories.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: The State of Collecting, share anecdotes on collectibles

Post by Elveen »

Retro ______________ (fill in the blank) has been "hot" since i started selling at shows.

Toys and games seem to be real popular.

Lots of comic shops seem to do BIG business with MTG.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Elveen wrote:Retro ______________ (fill in the blank) has been "hot" since i started selling at shows.

Shops I understand, especially since MTG is a new product. Do you see many dealers selling older toys or video games at shows? And if so have you noticed any buyers of comics move into that area?

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

There are a couple stores around where I live, devoted to just retro gaming. MTG has all but died out and is largely played by casual players in the area. There are only 2 comic stores in about a 100 mile radius. Each seem to be doing well, but both have been in business for nearly 30 years. The one shop Golden Unicorn made news on Bleeding Cool as he had 50,00 issues stolen which contained much better stock than what was mentioned in the article on BC.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

GGSAE wrote:
Elveen wrote:Retro ______________ (fill in the blank) has been "hot" since i started selling at shows.

Shops I understand, especially since MTG is a new product. Do you see many dealers selling older toys or video games at shows? And if so have you noticed any buyers of comics move into that area?

Yes. LOTS of toys sold at shows. Star wars, GI Joe and Transformers are the big 3

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Dino-Riders sell for a good amount, but I have never run across a collection anywhere in the wild.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Elveen wrote:
GGSAE wrote:

Yes. LOTS of toys sold at shows. Star wars, GI Joe and Transformers are the big 3
Have you bought and sold any? I wouldn't have a clue what the market is on that stuff, but I guess if you're a constant seller you should educate yourself in these other items. There's a limited number of comic deals to be had and better to diversify also.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

maraxusofkeld wrote:Dino-Riders sell for a good amount, but I have never run across a collection anywhere in the wild.
What are those?

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I have no idea of the value. But I know they sell.

Obv., in OG box is what you are looking for

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

GGSAE wrote:
maraxusofkeld wrote:Dino-Riders sell for a good amount, but I have never run across a collection anywhere in the wild.
What are those?
A future space group of human-looking rebels escaping the vaguely reptilian Krulos and his empire of scary looking aliens accidentally travel back in time and end up on Earth during the dinosaur era. Both sides use their technology to make harnesses for dinosaurs and continue their battle between good and evil on dinosaur cavalry. The main focus of the property was toys but there were comic books, a cartoon series and other merchandise.

Dino-Riders ruled.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

We have stores here that are open only because MTG exists. Seriously. The money they make on tournaments, promotions and a strong catalogue of old cards is enough for them to ignore other games/gamers. This was told to me by at least 2 dudes, the owners of the stores I go. Every tournament is always filled days before. Portuguese geeks really like their MTG.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

ShadowTuga wrote:

We have stores here that are open only because MTG exists. Seriously. The money they make on tournaments, promotions and a strong catalogue of old cards is enough for them to ignore other games/gamers. This was told to me by at least 2 dudes, the owners of the stores I go. Every tournament is always filled days before. Portuguese geeks really like their MTG.

My LCS is only still thriving because of MTG. That's what all of his customers are there for. The subscriptions for comics literally takes up the space under the counter to the right of the cashier area. There can't be more than 20 people with subs of any kind.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I know more than a few stores that pay the bills with MGT and make the profit with comics.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

In the realm of complete nerds (Seattle) there seems to be a healthy supply of MTG cards/playing spots. Many comic book stores have back rooms dedicated to either board or card games, and are usually constantly busy (at least 1/2 full). Board games really has taken off here, as people try and separate themselves from their tablets/phones/computers.

Toys has its place, I've seen a few shops here and there. Pretty much 90's stuff, lots of Transformers, tons of old video game systems!
Moose

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:In the realm of complete nerds (Seattle) there seems to be a healthy supply of MTG cards/playing spots. Many comic book stores have back rooms dedicated to either board or card games, and are usually constantly busy (at least 1/2 full). Board games really has taken off here, as people try and separate themselves from their tablets/phones/computers.

Toys has its place, I've seen a few shops here and there. Pretty much 90's stuff, lots of Transformers, tons of old video game systems!
I can attest to that. There are several game stores (just nerd games) in North Seattle alone, one being massively large. Several of comic book stores. Card stores. Portland is very similar .

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

What type of board games ?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Elveen wrote:What type of board games ?
Splendor!

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Many comic book stores have back rooms dedicated to either board or card games, and are usually constantly busy (at least 1/2 full).
On the subject of Board Games, do any of you guys have dedicated board game cafes? There used to be a number of them in Ottawa, now there's only one left with this store recently closing...
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... -september" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The best part of the story above is that I was there a month before closing, and made comments to a friend that their business model of $5 cover all-you-can-play is not sustainable. Afterwards I've had dozens of chats (mostly at work where a lot of finance/business people offer their opinions) on what went wrong and things I would change. There is one left which is fairly popular...

One thing about board games is that they can be very sophisticated and highly engaging, much more so than any games I had growing up. I know of a few different people that have a library of dozens of board games, many of these cost between $50 and $70 Canadian. Also they seem to appeal to a broader audience, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any adult that couldn't enjoy a modern game.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

GGSAE wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:Many comic book stores have back rooms dedicated to either board or card games, and are usually constantly busy (at least 1/2 full).
On the subject of Board Games, do any of you guys have dedicated board game cafes?
We've got all kinds of places, but not like your attached article. Breweries usually have several different board games that can be played (depending on their size), Comic book shops (as stated before), Emerald City Comic Con usually has an entire hotel floor just for board games and I think this year we had our first Con regarding just board games (could have had more in the past, don't remember). It seemed like that place was kind of cramped, was there more room in the back?
The best part of the story above is that I was there a month before closing, and made comments to a friend that their business model of $5 cover all-you-can-play is not sustainable. Afterwards I've had dozens of chats (mostly at work where a lot of finance/business people offer their opinions) on what went wrong and things I would change. There is one left which is fairly popular...
I don't know if charging would fly here, but maybe it would. If someone had cheap enough space, I don't see why not...

I'd be interested to see if it did fly, and how they would do things differently.
Moose

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
On the subject of Board Games, do any of you guys have dedicated board game cafes?
We've got all kinds of places, but not like your attached article. Breweries usually have several different board games that can be played (depending on their size), Comic book shops (as stated before), Emerald City Comic Con usually has an entire hotel floor just for board games and I think this year we had our first Con regarding just board games (could have had more in the past, don't remember). It seemed like that place was kind of cramped, was there more room in the back?
I don't know if charging would fly here, but maybe it would. If someone had cheap enough space, I don't see why not...

I'd be interested to see if it did fly, and how they would do things differently.
This place was small, basically a house turned-into a board game café on the ground floor. It was quite busy though, here's another....http://www.theloftlounge.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really like how they have retro games as well as board games, it's more roomier than the place which closed. I think having enough tables is just want you need to stay open....

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

we have like 4 now in this side of town but thats pretty low still for a area of 1.5 million people and none closer then 20 miles from me magic rules here followed by marvel comics not sure about tempe west but mesa chandler qc and glbert just dont ahve that many stores left cost of rent has all but killed them here along with online ordering of comics

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Elveen wrote:What type of board games ?

There are certain 80's board games that do decent money, Fireball Island, Heroquest, Darktower. A lot of people don't know they have valie. The last large comic collection that I purchased had a complete Heroquest that the owner was going to just throw out.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

heroquest and starfairers of catan are both super big money and rare

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

I’m in purging mode. Took all my MIB action figures from early 90s and now 6 longboxes to local dealer. We’ll see how it goes on consignment, but tired of hauling around. Shame that Ghostbusters Venkman is maybe the most valuable of the items (one sold for $245 in October)

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

when stuff rules you and is not making ou money or is no longer fun its time to thin down for sure