Deals at Major Cons?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
Deals at Major Cons?

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Hey guys, was wondering your thoughts, are deals at major cons a thing of the past? I went to Baltimore for the first time in a few years last. Hard to find any deals, there were not any $1 books, mostly $2 and up. As costs rise for dealers, are they taking less cheap inventory. In years past, this was a great show to fill in runs of books from the 90's up to current.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: Deals at Major Cons?

Post by Elveen »

TBH, I do a large % of my buying at the cons I'm at. A LARGE amount of restocking and the cons I'm at.

I find all the best deals at cons. I'v found that at most comic shops, the deals are gone.

But maybe thats a regional thing. Stores out here don't have much space. Square footage is too expensive.

If you are looking for .50 bins and such, that might be gone from the big cons. It is super expensive. But there are cheap bins at shows out here, you just gotta hit them quick (like I do :))

You should see the dealers and "others" that buy before the show starts. There is an small LA show that it's like chum in the water when the one dude "opens" up. I've learned to count the long boxes and stand by the Batman or Deadpool box. He will have like 30-40 long boxes and there will be 20-30 peeps waiting.

Elbows up!

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Agreed. Last con I went to, I got some major silver age scores. I scored Jim Shooter's first published work in Legion, signed by the man, for $3.

maraxusofkeld
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

nycjadie wrote:Agreed. Last con I went to, I got some major silver age scores. I scored Jim Shooter's first published work in Legion, signed by the man, for $3.

It must be an east coast thing. There are not really any small or regional shows, most WW Philly etc, which is terrible.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

How far doyou all usually drive to get to cons?

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Elveen wrote:TBH, I do a large % of my buying at the cons I'm at. A LARGE amount of restocking and the cons I'm at.

I find all the best deals at cons. I'v found that at most comic shops, the deals are gone.

But maybe thats a regional thing. Stores out here don't have much space. Square footage is too expensive.

If you are looking for .50 bins and such, that might be gone from the big cons. It is super expensive. But there are cheap bins at shows out here, you just gotta hit them quick (like I do :))

You should see the dealers and "others" that buy before the show starts. There is an small LA show that it's like chum in the water when the one dude "opens" up. I've learned to count the long boxes and stand by the Batman or Deadpool box. He will have like 30-40 long boxes and there will be 20-30 peeps waiting.

Elbows up!
You're saying this guy just doesn't know his stock and/or cares? I had a big dealer tell me he's had multiple small guys offer to buy him out halfway through their first show. I don't know if some dealers aren't prepared for setting up at shows or quickly decide they don't want to do it, but to me it seems odd people would throw in the towel so quickly. The show I've started setting up at only runs from 10-3, the time flies by to be honest, yet I've heard some dealers bail after a couple hours? Lol wtf why even bother showing up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I find better deals at smaller Cons. Small square footage, decent deals, always have those $1 boxes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

GGSAE wrote:
Elveen wrote:TBH, I do a large % of my buying at the cons I'm at. A LARGE amount of restocking and the cons I'm at.

Elbows up!
You're saying this guy just doesn't know his stock and/or cares? I had a big dealer tell me he's had multiple small guys offer to buy him out halfway through their first show. I don't know if some dealers aren't prepared for setting up at shows or quickly decide they don't want to do it, but to me it seems odd people would throw in the towel so quickly. The show I've started setting up at only runs from 10-3, the time flies by to be honest, yet I've heard some dealers bail after a couple hours? Lol wtf why even bother showing up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The story (apparently) is that the dude use to own a comic shop.
Sold the shop but not the storage / back issues. It's crazy.

FlipMega
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: Ninjak vol. 1 #23
Favorite title: Harbinger, Imperium, Divinity
Favorite artist: Hairsine, Suayan, LaRosa

Post by FlipMega »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:I find better deals at smaller Cons. Small square footage, decent deals, always have those $1 boxes!

ive been doing pretty damn well at micro-cons this year. mostly guys unloading stuff from home, not dealers and big shots. when i am the only guy in the building looking for valiant and bronze/modern it makes it easy. and generally i just chat up the sellers and be friendly and either they point me to the valiant guy at the show or they tell me they have long boxes full at home and thats how i get in. as for the books on the wall? yeah still show prices. although last show i offered $80 for a pretty nice FOOM TEN, the guy had $300 on it and he took it... but he wouldnt come down $5 on his 0-3 Sonic mini for condition lol

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

FlipMega wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:I find better deals at smaller Cons. Small square footage, decent deals, always have those $1 boxes!

ive been doing pretty damn well at micro-cons this year. mostly guys unloading stuff from home, not dealers and big shots. when i am the only guy in the building looking for valiant and bronze/modern it makes it easy. and generally i just chat up the sellers and be friendly and either they point me to the valiant guy at the show or they tell me they have long boxes full at home and thats how i get in. as for the books on the wall? yeah still show prices. although last show i offered $80 for a pretty nice FOOM TEN, the guy had $300 on it and he took it... but he wouldnt come down $5 on his 0-3 Sonic mini for condition lol
^^This right here!

I don't get a ton of people here in the PNW, but I do make plenty of contacts in this same way. Guys who have built up stock for years, and don't know what to do with it. Finally got me a Lemire, Suayan, Baron signed Bloodshot Reborn #1 (pullbox preview, I think) for $5! Was very happy!
Moose

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

at fanfest did very well spent 4 ish got a few 1000 in value civil war 1-7 for 7 turner alts for 5 each tpbs a few dozen at 2 each mainl civil war era new x men hc for 5 (yellow cover one and g1 jazz for 10 and a bunch of comic alts for a buck