War Mother #2 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
War Mother #2 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Faith & The Future Force #3, & XO [2017] #7], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr135/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: War Mother #2 Discussion

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Loved the book, look forward to hearing you two (or three, or more) talking about it tomorrow morning during my workout.

First, loved the fact that the AI (Flaco) caught the feels. I would wager that fear is probably the first emotion everyone feels (but how would we know, we were just born). He even threw a bit of a temper tantrum when War Mother felt the urge to save her people versus saving Flaco. Gotta say, I knew right away that there would be a DNA replica of War Mother, but this didn't detract from the story. I wonder how long it will take Flaco to figure it out (or if he even will). The wild animals in the jungle, does anyone else thing they are being controlled by whatever is controlling the building? Both the panther and the birds had the same (what looked like) energy devices on them with the same type of eyes.

Perfect genetics kid, is a complete freak! Money still on him being Father in the flesh.
Moose

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

I think that this issue was much better than the first. Overall an enjoyable issue. Looking forward to see where it goes.

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

I felt this fell a little bit flat compared to the first book. The first had some exploration, going out, and also an early set up. It also had the political intrigue within their home/encampment, the whole worry about the signal, the romance, the interpersonal conflicts. This just had her escaping, people walking, her talking to her gun thing, it was very drawn out for what it was. Art looked fine in it but it feels a bit decompressed for the sake of it.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

I liked the first issue, but this one was so much better. Have high expectations for the rest of the mini. There was a lot of set up in the first book, but this issue moved it forward and put some actual tension into the story - into both stories - (Ana's predicament plus her relationship with Flaco and the tribe's story). De La Torre's work on the sinister "brothers" bit was amazing - actually filled me with dread.

I imagine we were all expecting some sort of DNA thing once we saw the holes in Ana's hand. Interesting that the mech plant popped her out like a body snatcher pod. Also curious that it's not exclusively focusing on humanoids - the jungle animals around the area look like creations as well. I wonder what the mech plant's original purpose was - it's spread like a weed's roots under the surface. The "servant" creatures were also part mechanical, part bio, like the traders were. Is that because that's what they were like in their original form, or does the plant do that to them when it recreates them?

Were the traders just DNA duplicates? If so, why were they compelled to kill themselves - just for the sake of demonstration for Ana? Otherwise, if they were the originals, were they taken "over" (red-eyes) because they were part mechanical?

The next question is can it keep on producing copies of the same person over and over if needed?

P.S. The "new" Ana reminds me of Rampage.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

pixierosa wrote:The "new" Ana reminds me of Rampage.
I suspect they must be drawing a connection between the two by debuting them (pretty much) only a week apart. I'd guess Montana contains some remnant Omen technology from whatever created Rampage.
Last edited by tell on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I thought this was an improvement on the disappointing first issue. I still find the characterisation of Flaco irritating with the smart arse lines and I thought I was a bit ridiculous that Ana 'forgot' she'd sent the signal for her tribe to follow her. How can you 'forget' something that important? However, overall the story has grown on me here and I'm hopeful the mini finishes strong.

3.25/5

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Nice character work with the kids, I hope they play a role throughout...

Not really feeling Flaco, with feelings and all...

Her people, or her gun, pretty simple choice...

Overall, decent read, I just wish it wasn't so self contained. I'd like to see Ana meet other characters from this timeline...
#StayValiant

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

Better than the first issue, but still not something I'd consider "must have".

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

OMG, you brought up the buckle shoes in the podcast! I was thinking the same exact thing. :lol: