XO Manowar [2017] #7 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
XO Manowar [2017] #7 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Faith & The Future Force #3, & War Mother #2], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr135/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Re: XO Manowar [2017] #7 Discussion

Post by Keith »

While I thought the Monomen were resolved rather easily (except for the poor people of Gorin), it did feel suitably epic in nature. I am chomping at the bit for them to discover the artifact at the palace... viewtopic.php?f=33&t=49651&p=1056435#p1056435
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

The art bugged me. Maybe it's where I read it. But it felt like Rai all messy hard to see what's happening.
Instead of Aric sending up all the forces wouldn't it been easier to just go in with the armor he just called.
Love Arics wepons on demand.
I Miss the good old days.

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Well then, I hoped to be first because I totally read this while I was supposed to be working, but alas, no!

X-O Manowar #7. Aric has donned the X-O armor up to the shoulders now, and is regularly wearing it, despite the fact that he spends time talking to the armor and telling it how it is simply a tool (poor good skin!). He's uncovered in quick fashion that the plot of the general to bring in this monolith to subdue the Burnt had more to the equation, that the emperor made a deal with the aliens, in exchange for an artifact in his palace tower. He leads soldiers into epic battle, but is facing multiple fronts and is forced to choose which is the best course of action for the planet.

Story wise, is this the best issue so far? This isn't a comic that you're getting a big twist from, it's not set up like a mystery reveal, but it's interesting the way Kindt set up world-building reveals in every issue. The plot is simple -- very action/adventure pulp, and that's very fitting for a Conan The Barbarian In Space Armor story. It feels perfect for the character and the book.

It's both extremely fast paced and yet still manages to be very single-issue contained for storylines. Each issue so far has been an escalating battle. First at a unit level, then into full armies, and now even against space invaders. It makes you wonder if the ante can really keep being upped every issue, but he's managed to do so through seven issues so far. That's what's impressed me really is the fast pace and the single-issue storytelling (even though it does build into a larger arc). It's very different than most modern comics.

The issue also has a side story, one that's being told of the day's events, and you can actually go back through and read the dialogue boxes in this issue by themselves (I did and I recommend doing so) after it's done for a different perspective of the read. It's extremely detailed and hard worked on in that regard.

Speaking of extremely detailed, it's time to talk Clayton Crain, whose digital art graces this issue. I really loved Tomas Giorello's original run and thought in many ways issues 4-6 surpassed that with Doug Braiwaithe surpassed that. Crain's style is very much his own, you can see it on any book he touches. It's extremely intricately painted, and beautiful on that level. I think it fit the scope of the alien invasion well and is beautiful to look at all the details within the panels. I'm a big fan and I thought the issue flowed fine like that. I did see it mentioned that it was a little tough to follow, as it's so complicated at times with the frazzled, dark space battles it can get hard to read. This is something that happens in Crain books which I've seen a bit of. I believe it's from the overuse of dark saturated colors, and a little brightness and less saturation would fix those issues, but this is his stylistic choice. It's correct that because of that it's not perfect, but the design of the aliens, the intricate details of every figure are so beautiful, that it may take a sec to focus and really absorb what's going on, but it's incredible work.

Overall, the storyline is getting even more compelling than before, even as of issue #7. It would be fine to jump on with this issue alone, but still better with the first six issues as a backdrop. If there's one complaint I have, it's that the wall-to-wall action doesn't leave a ton of room for character development. There were only a couple of panels of those moments and I'd love to actually get to know some of this cast that gets explained in the opening credits every issue. There's still not a ton of reason to care about many of them. But there are a limit to pages, and to keep this pace in which i love so much there definitely have to be some sacrifices... just like Aric has to make whenever he goes into battle (thematic!). Conclusion: Aric Rules!

10/10
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

Art was solid for me. I enjoy each artists take on the story. They all have their own style and I just appreciate their talent. I still look forward to reading the story each month but the problem I have is caring about any character but Aric. Every issue so far feels like a build up to something much more important. I was ready for that "something" 2 issues ago. I'm in it for the long haul because X-O is awesome and the actual comic format is cool. I hope the artifact gets revealed soon and brings more complexity to the story.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

If thoes aliens as powerful as they are want something so bad to invest that meny ships and crews it must be pretty important and potentially dangerous to others if they get it.
Aric would be smart to invest some time trying to discover what it is exactly and what it does.
I Miss the good old days.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Faith & The Future Force #3, & War Mother #2], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr135/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

listening to your show, attachment to your XO Manowar Crazy Theory. Remove Pete messing with Aric's brain in a fight, and let's put in Alpha!

Thinking the Mono Men are a higher life form, maybe more intelligent, so I would suggest their tie in is with the Psy-Lords. If the ship is what they seek, maybe they worship the Psy-Lords, or are linked to the Psy-Lords in some fashion. Re-Bo is an option, as I can see some similarities, but I think they are more linked to the relic they are seeking. They didn't know Aric was on the planet
Moose

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Solid issue, I just wish they would have kept Crain on the 4001 stuff, the change in art is jarring. I don't mind rotating artist, but they should at least complement each other stylistically...
#StayValiant

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

agent_graves wrote:Solid issue, I just wish they would have kept Crain on the 4001 stuff, the change in art is jarring. I don't mind rotating artist, but they should at least complement each other stylistically...
Probably would have been the best call. Crain is very different than everyone else and it does stand out -- much as I love him. Doug/Tomas definitely were very similar in style up to this point. I didn't find it too jarring personally though, especially as all of the quality is off the charts high. reading through a lot of the 2012 valiant stuff -- they sometimes used 3 artists in an issue, now THAT is jarring.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I enjoyed the issue. I guess we're to assume that Aric's ability to control the Monomen's ships via the 'language of harmonic oscillation' is something he (or the armor) learned when he experienced omniscience in the battle with The Torment.

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

Another great issue, although I liked the art prior to this a lot better. Not a huge fan of Crain.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Faith & The Future Force #3, & War Mother #2], please follow the link;

listening to your show, attachment to your XO Manowar Crazy Theory. Remove Pete messing with Aric's brain in a fight, and let's put in Alpha!

Thinking the Mono Men are a higher life form, maybe more intelligent, so I would suggest their tie in is with the Psy-Lords. If the ship is what they seek, maybe they worship the Psy-Lords, or are linked to the Psy-Lords in some fashion. Re-Bo is an option, as I can see some similarities, but I think they are more linked to the relic they are seeking. They didn't know Aric was on the planet
Thanks for listening.

Have you seen the news about HW2, apparently Aric returns to Earth for that. I wonder if that's a swerve or if it was something else that led Aric to leave Earth and have the problem with the armor like maybe...Psi-Lords! :o

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

hawkeyeps wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:

Thanks for listening.

Have you seen the news about HW2, apparently Aric returns to Earth for that. I wonder if that's a swerve or if it was something else that led Aric to leave Earth and have the problem with the armor like maybe...Psi-Lords! :o
You're welcome, love the show. Love crazy theories!

Yep, Aric's return is gonna happen. XO Manowar is slated 11-14 pre order, which ends in April. Don't know if the book ends or pauses, but we will find out soon. Betting Psi-Lords have something to do with HW2 though, it's the only thing that hasn't reared its head in the 2017 FCBD book. Maybe he returns to earth because of them, with them, or leaves the earth after the battle to fight them? Not quite sure, but I do believe they will be involved in some way!

We know that HW2 is coming, and that it will be after the release of Shadowman. Bloodshot, XO, Ninja-K, Q&W will all have kicked off, and all were well represented in the 2017 FCBD book, except Psi-Lords. While they got a little tease in that book and the XO book, that's all we've heard, which makes me believe that HW2 will used to catapult the new Psi-Lords book. I do wonder if it will be a mini, just to test the waters. If that's the case, my excitement wains. It would be hard to not start that route, simply because it hasn't been picked up in quite some time. But, a mini is better than nothing, and it may go the route of many of the other mini's like Divinity, Britannia, and hopefully Savage.
Moose

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Crain's art feels like the main talking point here. As with Rai, some panels in XO #7 were outstanding e.g. the very first page with the explosions, but some panels were very hard to follow. For example, when they landed on the surface of the Monomen's ship, what were the purple things with claws?! :? Then the panel with the Monomen from behind with Aric coming towards them, how did that happen? :?

Art aside, I'm enjoying this series and Kindt is doing a tremendous job of world building with all of these new characters. Makes me wonder, with all of this creativity going into this, what happens to all of these new characters when Aric returns to earth?

3.75/5 (slight reduction due to some unclear panels)

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:what happens to all of these new characters when Aric returns to earth?
The ones that don't follow through to be in Psi-Lords (a big assumption there), nothing. I suspect that's why they're not receiving much characterization.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

I was hoping for amazing and it was just interesting. i will keep an open ming regardless.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:what happens to all of these new characters when Aric returns to earth?
The ones that don't follow through to be in Psi-Lords (a big assumption there), nothing. I suspect that's why they're not receiving much characterization.
Yeah, Psi Lords makes sense. I'd be down with that :thumb: