Bloodshot: Salvation #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Bloodshot: Salvation #1 Discussion

Post by otomo »

Surprised this isn't up yet. I ran to the comic shop at lunch to pick this up (and Secret Weapons too but I haven't read that, going to sit down and read the complete story later).

This definitely continues with the feel of Bloodshot: Reborn, much more than the crazy/zany epic Bloodshot USA. Bloodshot has a baby now and him and Magic are on the run doing their thing. There's a project omen happening from the evil government mooks and Magic's father is a weird creepy dude. It went back and forth between now and "soon" when babyshot is a bit older, an interesting way of doing things, will have to see how that develops.

Characters great. I love it all. I'm a little tweaked by the fighting between Magic/Bloodshot but these are messed up characters so it's fitting with the way they are. I kinda want my heroes a little more heroic when it comes to home life especially is all. Though nothing BAD happened, there were points where it made me uncomfortable. But... that's a testament to how much I care about the characters, so maybe it's a plus.

Pacing was a bit slower than the other series. I guess Bloodshot: Reborn kinda opened with pacing like this, but I'm kinda ready for a return to real action after that introspective run. USA was doing it and it got me itching for it a bit. I'd dock a couple points here.

I'm a -bit- worried about political signalling. It's not all that bad but there's mentions of racial killings, the bad father is of course a church leader of some sort (was clarified with cult but still ehhh...). Nothing really bothersome like we see from Marvel but I hope it doesn't mean the books's going there in the future. No points docked but I'm paying attention on that level because I think there were 3 lines of it -- one or two is easy to glance over once it's three it's a pattern, something I pick up when I'm editing as a writer.

Art is fabulous. I love the style. Love LaRosa. Nothing negative there. There's a bit much on the talking heads back and forth but I think that's a script issue getting back to the pacing.

Overall, solid start. I'm definitely interested in more though part of that is trusting Lemire to wow me like he did in the last run.

8/10
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Re: Bloodshot: Salvation #1 Discussion

Post by Keith »

Spot on review, otomo. Loved this start, it definitely felt like a seamless transition from Reborn/USA/Reborn #0. I’m really looking forward to learning more about how things get from “now” to “soon” (aka 8 years later). And I’m very pleased to see Rampage make his official debut. Hard to believe we’ve seen him pop up over the past couple of years in BoD and Stalinverse, but now finally makes his legit debut.

And yeah, some smatherings of political allusions there. Interesting thing is Lemire had plans to make it even more so, but then decided to throttle it back later on. Think there was an interview on Newsarama where he said he changed his mind on making it overtly political.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

I enjoyed it too. It was the correct amount of dialogue for me and the art was nice. I have the A cover and the preorder edition in my pull. I save the A cover for the collection and read the preorder. The extra pages in the preorder are pretty cool with additional background info on new characters.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Very good first issue and intriguing story plus lots of great pics of Bloodhound! 10/10

"My dad can kick your dad's *SQUEE*!" :lol:

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

What was the Rampage Redux book like? Due the unexpected closure of my LCS I missed out on the pre order edition (despite pre ordering). Was is a completely new story or an extended look at Salvation #1?

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

It was a black and white version with some database type entries and an interview.

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Keith wrote:Spot on review, otomo. Loved this start, it definitely felt like a seamless transition from Reborn/USA/Reborn #0. I’m really looking forward to learning more about how things get from “now” to “soon” (aka 8 years later). And I’m very pleased to see Rampage make his official debut. Hard to believe we’ve seen him pop up over the past couple of years in BoD and Stalinverse, but now finally makes his legit debut.

And yeah, some smatherings of political allusions there. Interesting thing is Lemire had plans to make it even more so, but then decided to throttle it back later on. Think there was an interview on Newsarama where he said he changed his mind on making it overtly political.
That's really good to hear! Smart choice by him given the current climate I think.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

hawkeyeps wrote:It was a black and white version with some database type entries and an interview.
thanks for the info :thumb:

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Who's Al? Magic tells Ray "Al, the man I was with when you found me in Colorado."

In BSRB #4 this man is called Mike/Mikey, and I don't remember her being with another guy.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

otomo wrote:I'm a -bit- worried about political signalling. It's not all that bad but there's mentions of racial killings, the bad father is of course a church leader of some sort (was clarified with cult but still ehhh...).
This stood out for me, too. Of course, in the panel following the 'racial killing' newscast, we are treated to a picture of our objects of enmity: ordinary Americans. Pretty ironic for a comic where the hero is literally lily-white and the villain is pitch black.

I really dislike this nonsense in my entertainment.

Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed the issue.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Do you think Lemire put that info in just for background noise? I know that Valiant does try and keep things closely related regarding real life. We may never hear anything else about these situations reported in the news

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Mmm, a baseball score is noise. This, coupled with the next panel was trying to say something.

Anyhoo, it was a great issue and the art was terrific.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:It was a black and white version with some database type entries and an interview.
I was slightly disappointed with extra comic. Given it was a 10 (or was it 12) issue pre order I would have expected some exclusive story material. :?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:
otomo wrote:I'm a -bit- worried about political signalling. It's not all that bad but there's mentions of racial killings, the bad father is of course a church leader of some sort (was clarified with cult but still ehhh...).
This stood out for me, too. Of course, in the panel following the 'racial killing' newscast, we are treated to a picture of our objects of enmity: ordinary Americans. Pretty ironic for a comic where the hero is literally lily-white and the villain is pitch black.

+1

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Enjoyed this issue, I'm optimistic this series will continue the high standards Bloodshot has been setting the last few years under Lemire's direction. That said, I'm not a Marvel reader but isn't this very similar to what's happening with Wolverine and the young girl (his daughter?).

4/5 - good story, excellent art. :thumb:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:
I was slightly disappointed with extra comic. Given it was a 10 (or was it 12) issue pre order I would have expected some exclusive story material. :?
You trying to start WW3? :P People were pretty upset about the exclusive story stuff in LotG. I didn't have a problem with it, personally, but some felt like they were being extorted.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:
You trying to start WW3? :P People were pretty upset about the exclusive story stuff in LotG. I didn't have a problem with it, personally, but some felt like they were being extorted.
Ha ha, oh yeah, how could I forget LOTG-gate! :lol:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
jmatt wrote:

+1
The following comment is not so much about politics as it is about choices made by writers.

The way Lemire chose to air a touch of his political perspective is divisive. A comment about racial killings followed by a panel of ordinary, white, fly-over-country Americans. Hey look, it's the enemy. Those racists.

But I just read Secret Weapons #4. In it is Avi, a Sikh character who wears a dastaar (a turban). He laments that he can't stay with the group because he obviously stands out and may attract attention. Livewire tells him no, he's staying: "We stick together". Together. Inclusive. Beautiful.

This is how you promote a diverse and inclusive society.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

BLOODSHOT SALVATION WRITER DROPS WHITE SUPREMACY ANGLE TO EXPLORE FAITH, REVENGE, PARENTHOOD
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/17/ ... parenthood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

sonicdan wrote:BLOODSHOT SALVATION WRITER DROPS WHITE SUPREMACY ANGLE TO EXPLORE FAITH, REVENGE, PARENTHOOD
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/17/ ... parenthood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm glad Lemire made this decision and kept politics out. If comic book writers wish to bring politics in then perhaps focus on the bigger threats happening all over Europe and the US. :?

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

sonicdan wrote:BLOODSHOT SALVATION WRITER DROPS WHITE SUPREMACY ANGLE TO EXPLORE FAITH, REVENGE, PARENTHOOD
Yea, now I remember reading that! Must have been left over, but still had an angle/meaning
Moose

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

I think my only problem with it is suspending my belief enough to believe that Magic wasn't just a normal runaway; she escaped some pseudo-redneck county wide cult....that to me feels like a stretch. And I know, this is about nanites, killer robots, aliens, psychics, etc., so why should her heritage be a stretch? I think they need a straight person in there to comment about how nutty Bloodshot's world is. I thought Magic would be the one, but it sounds like she came from a pretty crazy background, so really everyone in Ray's world is abnormal in some way. Not digging it so far, more interested in seeing where they go with Rampage.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Thank. God.

I don't want politics in my entertainment, be it comics or sports.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

So far Salvation has the same feel to it as Reborn. The pacing is certainly slow and there is a heavy emphasis on character development - it didn't read like a superhero / action book much like U.S.A and the Swierczynski run. Liked it but would've liked more to happen.

The art was just beautiful.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

jmatt wrote:
Thank. God.

I don't want politics in my entertainment, be it comics or sports.
*SQUEE* faith if it's a God book I'm out faster than Hitler going to hell if such a place exists. I liked the white supremacy angle it would fit well with Magic's background and bloodshot being white. But in this stupid day and age of to kneel or not it would be a bad move for Valiant.
I Miss the good old days.