Secret Weapons #10 (possible spoiler)

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Secret Weapons #10 (possible spoiler)

Post by Brother J »

Secret Weapons is an interesting book to go back and read because it seems like a book where the initial concept failed (and failed fairly early) so the writers went back to the drawing board to recreate the concept of the book. It started out as basically the Valiant team up book which was going to have Geoff the Geomancer and Livewire and Stronghold as recurring characters meeting up with other Valiant heroes on a revolving basis. It seems like it was decided these characters couldn't hold the interest of the fans so it was converted to another Armorines type team with Bloodshot as the leader.

A couple observations from the run, in particular Secret Weapons #10. First of all, is it my imagination or does the end of that book reveal the identity of the Weaponeer to be Colin King (Ninjak) himself? I have to say that Ninjak's motives so far in the Valiant Universe are unclear to me, he seems to be on the side of the angels, but isn't above doing some illegal things to get results (like tapping into various computers and selling arms)

Also, when did Geoff the Geomancer become such a little whiner? He seemed to be pretty level headed to me in the early days of Valiant, but in the last couple issues of Secret Weapons, he's been particularly annoying "I'm tired of being your bloodhound", I wanna go home, boo hoo

BloodOfHeroes
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: Secret Weapons #10 (possible spoiler)

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

Brother J wrote:A couple observations from the run, in particular Secret Weapons #10. First of all, is it my imagination or does the end of that book reveal the identity of the Weaponeer to be Colin King (Ninjak) himself? I have to say that Ninjak's motives so far in the Valiant Universe are unclear to me, he seems to be on the side of the angels, but isn't above doing some illegal things to get results (like tapping into various computers and selling arms)
It's not your imagination. The Weaponeer was a cover and it served a purpose. Exactly what that was in its entirety (beyond the creation of the SW suits), perhaps is known only to Ninjak.
Brother J wrote:Also, when did Geoff the Geomancer become such a little whiner? He seemed to be pretty level headed to me in the early days of Valiant, but in the last couple issues of Secret Weapons, he's been particularly annoying "I'm tired of being your bloodhound", I wanna go home, boo hoo
From Day #1. I think Gil and Aram both commented on this. And when Bloodshot verbally spanks him in SW, I split a gut laughing. To this very day. Woo-hoo! LOVE it.

In fact, my only beef with Rai #0 is that it shows Geoff living to a ripe ol' age...

BoH

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Thanks for replying, Anthony, it's been so long since I posted these comments I kind of forgot about them.

I will have to say I really began to appreciate Ninjak a lot more as my reading continued. It turned out to be one of the more consistently good books Valiant put out in the later days.

I've still got a bit of reading to do with Valiant. I finished most of the shorter runs and even some of the longer ones. I basically gave up on reading the books in chronological order since later Valiants don't seem to cross over much at all. I still have to finish reading:

Bloodshot
Eternal Warrior
Magnus
Turok

I think I'm going to save Bloodshot for last, since that's the one I hear the most positive comments about. I've heard Magnus isn't easy to finish and I'm just about to start with the Giffen run. I'll be back with comments about that.

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

Brother J wrote:I've heard Magnus isn't easy to finish and I'm just about to start with the Giffen run. I'll be back with comments about that.
I've was unable to read this title completely through. Instead I had issues 1-35 then a couple 40something then a good stint of 50's and finally 62-64. About the only time I was even remotely interested in Magnus pass issue #25 was when the robot chick (forgot her name) confessed her feeling for Magnus and remarked that Lelaa and Rai were somewhere else have an affair (which was a point they came back to frequently in the Griffen era from what I could tell). I wanted to see what happened with that relationship but beyond this... *yawn* I stopped caring when all the free-will robots were dead and the remainders where trying to kill Magnus but were humans? Yeah... read that aloud to yourself and you get the point of what your in for. Good luck. Try buying some alcoholic chasers to down the nasty after taste left be each new Griffen issue. Of course you might just get #$@!-faced before you get throw the 50's. :p
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

Jaknife
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Jaknife »

i still havent read 55, 57, 59, or 60. I hated the art, giving magnus a bowl-cut. he looked so much cooler with the slick part and all. :P the action sucked as well. Rai ended up doing the blandest jump kicks of all time.