Reading comics

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Gafti
Account inactive by user's request
Valiant fan since: March 2017
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Cafu +All of them are amazing
Reading comics

Post by Gafti »

kind of a weird question here:
When y'all read the books, do you try to read in the particular character's voice.
For example, when Ninjak speaks, do you read it with an english accent in your head?

That's what I try to do, but I find it's not that easy for me to find voices for each character. Sometimes I will think of an actor and try to transfer that voice to the character. I was just curious if you guys do this as well.
Stay Valiant

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: Reading comics

Post by ShadowTuga »

Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill (Bats and Joker).
BTAS syndrome. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Gafti

Post by Gafti »

It's funny. I have never done that with novels, but maybe I should start.
For whatever reason, seems like comics lend themselves well to that kind of reading. It's cool. Good to exercise the 'ol imagination from time to time.
One more reason to love my new hobby. Valiant.
Stay Valiant

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Gafti wrote:It's funny. I have never done that with novels, but maybe I should start.
For whatever reason, seems like comics lend themselves well to that kind of reading. It's cool. Good to exercise the 'ol imagination from time to time.
One more reason to love my new hobby. Valiant.
That's one reason I like watching a movie version first, then reading the book version (like Lord of the Rings for example). There will still be plenty for my imagination to work up from the story, but already knowing how the characters look and sound is a nice bonus.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Gafti wrote:kind of a weird question here:
When y'all read the books, do you try to read in the particular character's voice.
For example, when Ninjak speaks, do you read it with an english accent in your head?

That's what I try to do, but I find it's not that easy for me to find voices for each character. Sometimes I will think of an actor and try to transfer that voice to the character. I was just curious if you guys do this as well.
When I read your posts I do it in an accent that you could find in 'Dukes of Hazzard' :P :wink: :lol: I think it's because you type the word 'y'all'!

Ps this is definitely not a criticism, I think the board would be a more colourful place if everyone typed how they spoke! :thumb:

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

When I read your posts I do it in an accent that you could find in 'Dukes of Hazzard' :P :wink: :lol: I think it's because you type the word 'y'all'!

Ps this is definitely not a criticism, I think the board would be a more colourful place if everyone typed how they spoke! :thumb:
I do type like I spoke! Lol a T total bumbling idiot! :lol:

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gafti

Post by Gafti »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: That's what I try to do, but I find it's not that easy for me to find voices for each character. Sometimes I will think of an actor and try to transfer that voice to the character. I was just curious if you guys do this as well.

All good. No offense taken.
Coincidentally, I read yours with the voice of Elmer Fudd. :D
Stay Valiant

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Gafti wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: That's what I try to do, but I find it's not that easy for me to find voices for each character. Sometimes I will think of an actor and try to transfer that voice to the character. I was just curious if you guys do this as well.

All good. No offense taken.
Coincidentally, I read yours with the voice of Elmer Fudd. :D
:high-five: except I'm English! Think of the Beatles and you're probably no too far off! :hm: Elmer Fudd is a great choice though!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: :high-five: except I'm English! Think of the Beatles and you're probably no too far off!
Think of Elvis and you've got me. :lol:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

greg wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: :high-five: except I'm English! Think of the Beatles and you're probably no too far off!
Think of Elvis and you've got me. :lol:
:funnypost:

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

I imagine different vocal tones for comic characters, other than my own. They sometimes change too, I'm not super-strict with it. Mostly probably because I couldn't remember how I read them a month ago. And often it slips and I end up reading in my own 'voice' again after a time. I'd be surprised if a lot of people *don't* do this when they read comics/novels.

People just meeting me often have a difficult time pinning my accent down to any particular English-speaking country so it's hard to describe my accent. Sounds outright English to me, but obviously it's not that clear-cut :|
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Post by possumgrease »

The voice I have the most trouble with is Aric. I always go with this Old English, Shakespeare tone, but that wouldn't be it all. He's always written so stuffy, except for the early VH1 with all the "good skin" talk.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Nope, all characters sound the same.. Like me... :lol:

Idk, when I'm reading Bane, I'm not muffling my voice... :lol:
#StayValiant

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

When I read Harada's dialog, I use Tom Hardy's Bane voice. It really changed the feel of Imperium.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

If I typed like I spoke there would be alot of combining words and leaving out sounds like
Tire and tower would be pronounced tire. One syllable
Go over there would be pronounced go-ovur-er.

When I was in high school even people that lived 15 miles away said they loved my accent. And my family in Ohio
I have to make sure I enunciate so they can understand me

Beware Cyclops

Post by Beware Cyclops »

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I have to admit that I don't really add different voices for each character's dialogue.

Once upon a time I was into playing a submarine simulator and was hanging out in the game's forum, where guys were talking about things they do to immerse themselves into the game. One guy said he would splash water on his face when he was on the conning tower.

I chimed in that I set up a lawn sprinkler in my basement and that when my sub was under attack, I'd turn it on to simulate pipes bursting and water spraying everywhere. Not sure if they believed me. :P

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

possumgrease wrote:The voice I have the most trouble with is Aric. I always go with this Old English, Shakespeare tone, but that wouldn't be it all. He's always written so stuffy, except for the early VH1 with all the "good skin" talk.
I guess we could all benefit from finding out what ancient Romanian would've sounded like in terms of placing Aric's accent :?

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

Shadowman99 wrote:
possumgrease wrote:The voice I have the most trouble with is Aric. I always go with this Old English, Shakespeare tone, but that wouldn't be it all. He's always written so stuffy, except for the early VH1 with all the "good skin" talk.
I guess we could all benefit from finding out what ancient Romanian would've sounded like in terms of placing Aric's accent :?
i use the Monty python cast for all the actual Romans.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Ancient Romanian in the early 5th Century was just a dialect of Latin and probably not even Vulgar Latin.

Aric and his visigothic breteren spoke Gothic, an extinct language from the extinct East Germanic branch of the Germanic languages. It is the oldest attested Germanic language and has a modest sized corpus of extant texts. We have an idea as to the vocabulary and words but the sound of the language as it was spoken is lost to history.

Best guess - probably sounds vaguely somewhere between a Dutch and a Danish accent. Maybe could pass for an Afrikaaner?

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Chiclo wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Ancient Romanian in the early 5th Century was just a dialect of Latin and probably not even Vulgar Latin.

Aric and his visigothic breteren spoke Gothic, an extinct language from the extinct East Germanic branch of the Germanic languages. It is the oldest attested Germanic language and has a modest sized corpus of extant texts. We have an idea as to the vocabulary and words but the sound of the language as it was spoken is lost to history.

Best guess - probably sounds vaguely somewhere between a Dutch and a Danish accent. Maybe could pass for an Afrikaaner?
I'm not sure about that. Dacia as far as I understand it was a region within Thrace, where 'Thracian' was spoken, but apparently 'Dacian' was a dialect of Thracian. What constituted the language itself is a bit of a shot in the dark as far as I can tell as it looks as though very little of either language has ever been recovered, but I don't think it was Latin at all.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

possumgrease wrote:]i use the Monty python cast for all the actual Romans.
Palin is definitely Nero, ala Life of Brian.

FlipMega
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: Ninjak vol. 1 #23
Favorite title: Harbinger, Imperium, Divinity
Favorite artist: Hairsine, Suayan, LaRosa

Post by FlipMega »

Re: the OP question. I do. I Don't read fiction aside from comics but it's definitely due to the graphic representation of the characters for me. I would have a hard time doing that with text alone, to a degree. I've been trying to stick to the same voices but it's hard lol I think I've got Divinity, Pete, Harada, Immortal Enemy and Faith down. Everyone else is a work in progress. The funny thing is old Pete and new Pete are very different while Faith is the same 8-)

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I try to give everyone a distinct voice, but more often than not, it's just my voice in my head.

With that being said, I think that hearing distinct and separate voices in your head means the comic is doing a really good job at giving all of their characters a lot of 'character.' For example, I can hear distinct voices for almost all of Valiant's characters, but I've never been able to piece together a coherent accent for Shadowman. He always just sounds like a guy to me.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

I'm not sure about that. Dacia as far as I understand it was a region within Thrace, where 'Thracian' was spoken, but apparently 'Dacian' was a dialect of Thracian. What constituted the language itself is a bit of a shot in the dark as far as I can tell as it looks as though very little of either language has ever been recovered, but I don't think it was Latin at all.
You are correct in that there were Dacian and Thracian languages and that it is thought they were closely related and that Dacian may have been a dialect of Thracian. They were Indo-European languages of unknown provenance and definitely not Latin or an Italic language.

The Visigoths were a people that had migrated to Dacia from somewhere in northern Germany or Scandinavia through the northeast Balkans. The fourth and fifth centuries (around which time Aric was captured by the Vine) was called the Migration Era and is so-called because many Germanic tribes migrated within the Roman Empire, especially from the northeast, where they were being attacked by and fleeing from the Huns. The Visigoths migrated from Dacia through the Italian peninsula and into France, eventually conquering a kingdom in Spain and Southern France which they ruled for 300 years until being displaced by the invading Umayyad Caliphate in the 700s.

Aric is very specifically a Visigoth. His uncle is Alaric I, one of the better-known Visigothic kings. Alaric was the leader of his people during the sack of Rome in 410, a few years after Aric is said to have been abducted. A battle with Stilicho, a Roman general who fought the Visigoths, is depicted in X-O Manowar (2012) #1.

So I feel very confident in saying that no, Aric did not speak Dacian or Thracian. He spoke Gothic.

edit - When I said that Ancient Romanian in the 5th Century was a dialect of Latin, I meant the forerunner to the modern language of Romanian (which I am currently studying) was still a dialect of Latin and had probably not become its own language, separate from Italian, Portuguese or Spanish. I did not mean to imply that the native Dacian or Thracian languages spoken in the region around the time of Roman conquest were Latin-related languages.

Claiming that the Visigoths spoke Dacian would be like claiming the Anglo-Saxons that settled in England at about the same time spoke the Welsh-like Britonic language that the native Britons spoke prior to the Roman conquest of Brittania.