Paramount Comics

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Paramount Comics

Post by Cyberstrike »

Does anyone remember when Marvel got the rights to Star Trek and Mission: Impossible and created an imprint called Paramount Comics? This was supposed to publish books based off other properties and ended up mostly publishing Star Trek comics. The most famous (or infamous) was a pair of one-shot crossovers with the X-Men and they were called Star Trek/X-Men and Star Trek: The Next Generation/X-Men which IIRC was the first time Star Trek officially crossover over with other multimedia franchise which led into a third crossover Star Trek: The Next Generation/X-Men: Planet X which was a prose novel published by Pocket Books, I think it was written by Tom DeFalco (I'm not sure though) and what is sad none of these crossovers were any good.

The non-crossover Star Trek books, which tended to focus more on the original series, included the 5 part Star Trek: Phase II (I think that was the title) mini-series set in between the first film and the second one and Star Trek Unlimited which was one of Marvel's best "Unlimited" titles and had some great stories in it.

I remember a Mission: Impossible comic book being announced I think as a prequel to Mission: Impossible 2 with an ugly Rob Liefeld cover. Liefeld showed he couldn't draw characters based on real people any better than he could draw feet on fictional superheroes. I don't know if it was ever published or not.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Re: Paramount Comics

Post by jeremycoe »

I've got the Star Trek/X-Men book. I seem to remember enjoying it at the time, but that was a LONG time ago :D
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

jeremycoe wrote:I've got the Star Trek/X-Men book. I seem to remember enjoying it at the time, but that was a LONG time ago :D
The first one had Kirk's friend turned super mutant from the second pilot episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" in it and the second with Picard and company takes place right after they head back to the future in Star Trek: First Contact has Wesley Crusher popping up with the Traveler because reasons and was bat $h!t insane.

Honestly Star Trek: Phase II and Star Trek Unlimited, are easily the best comics starring Captain Kirk, Spock, Dr. McCoy and the rest from Star Trek: The Original Series and the first 6 movies that have ever been done by anyone. Those along with Star Trek: The Next Generation-The Gorn Crisis graphic novel and Star Trek Special published by DC and/or Wildstorm were awesome reads and showed how to do Star Trek as a comic book that could rival if not surpass the novels.

I wished IDW (or whoever has the rights now) would bring back Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager to comics because IMHO they are all rich with possibilities to explore as comics, hell even Enterprise if done right could be a good comic series. Instead they keep of mainly focusing on the Kelvin Universe and Star Trek: The Original Series and just doing the occasional crappy Star Trek: The Next Generation mini-series.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I pulled a Star Trek Voyager (#12) comic out of a dollar box at a convention a couple of weeks ago with the Paramount Comics imprint.

Star Trek Phase II was the working title of a Star Trek reboot that was being considered in the late 70s and ended up getting retooled as Star Trek the Motion Picture. I am not familiar with the Phase II comic but I am sure that is what the title refers to and the timeframe sounds correct.

I remember seeing some comics about Nog from DS9 at Starfleet Academy from the Paramount Comics imprint.

I know that Malibu had published some Star Trek Deep Space Nine comics before the Marvel buyout. I always imagined that when Marvel bought out Malibu, that is what got their foot on that particular door.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Chiclo wrote:I pulled a Star Trek Voyager (#12) comic out of a dollar box at a convention a couple of weeks ago with the Paramount Comics imprint.

Star Trek Phase II was the working title of a Star Trek reboot that was being considered in the late 70s and ended up getting retooled as Star Trek the Motion Picture. I am not familiar with the Phase II comic but I am sure that is what the title refers to and the timeframe sounds correct.

I remember seeing some comics about Nog from DS9 at Starfleet Academy from the Paramount Comics imprint.

I know that Malibu had published some Star Trek Deep Space Nine comics before the Marvel buyout. I always imagined that when Marvel bought out Malibu, that is what got their foot on that particular door.
I was aware of the Malibu published DS9 and Voyager comics before Marvel bought them and I thought they were cancelled before the buyout. I don't remember seeing any DS9 and Voyager comics under the Paramount Comics imprint. Doesn't mean they didn't I just don't remember seeing them. Maybe the imprint was created by Malibu before Marvel bought them and Marvel just kept it until the line wasn't making enough money and/or Paramount decided to move the franchise to a different publisher. Although Marvel seemed more focused on The Original Series than TNG, DS9 and Voyager and I recall that some of the creators they hired were kind of dismissive to the spin-offs and some even seemed to have a something like a borderline hated of the latter shows and movies (and maybe even to the fans that liked them more TOS).

I'm not 100% sure if that mini-series was called Phase II or something else. I do know that it was set in between the first and second films and was a five issue mini-series the whole idea was that each would be set a year into the second 5 year mission of the Enterprise starting after the first ends and concludes with the reasons why Kirk accepts the promotion and why he leaves the ship to be the head of Starfleet Academy. That last issue was pretty good enough to remember the series the other 4 issues were unremarkable.

I do think this whole imprint should be considered a dead imprint.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

They also had a Snake Plissken one shot under that imprint.

jeremycoe
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

vikingspawn wrote:They also had a Snake Plissken one shot under that imprint.
And Mission: Impossible and "The Mighty Heroes", whatever that is. Here's a listing of everything put out through the Paramount Comics imprint: http://comicbookdb.com/imprint.php?ID=214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

jeremycoe wrote:
vikingspawn wrote:They also had a Snake Plissken one shot under that imprint.
And Mission: Impossible and "The Mighty Heroes", whatever that is. Here's a listing of everything put out through the Paramount Comics imprint: http://comicbookdb.com/imprint.php?ID=214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So it wasn't called Phase II it was called Star Trek: The Untold Voyages.