FCBD sale hauls

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: FCBD sale hauls

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:My shop was jammed. The manager said he saw a lot of new faces and wondered what marketing push was the cause.
Every store I go to on FCBD is jam packed from around 10-2. I think it's great. The shops offer great deals and freebies that make it even more fun and they sell a ton of stuff. It's a really great promotion all around.

I only wish they'd get more of the lesser known FCBD books for these people to try. Isn't the other major goal (besides bringing in new customers) to expose readers to new stuff? This was the 1st year I saw the VEI issue at more than one store...it was at 2! And that was a GOLD level book!!!

With all the business I saw them doing, there's no way they'd lose money by ordering a bigger variety of books.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

Nice hauls. Unfortunately I was in the same boat as a few others and didn't get a chance to go to a store (although I was going to try to bring my daughter). Maybe next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

BugsySig wrote: I only wish they'd get more of the lesser known FCBD books for these people to try. Isn't the other major goal (besides bringing in new customers) to expose readers to new stuff?
With all the business I saw them doing, there's no way they'd lose money by ordering a bigger variety of books.
That's not necessarily true. We (and any store who knows business) have a budget for FCBD. It's about $2k for books, plus another $500 or so for advertising, printing costs and so on.

Every book is discussed by myself and both store managers. We base our decision on one criteria - are we going to have, or do we already have, supporting products. There is ZERO reason to carry the FCBD book if you are not planning to carry the book it promotes. Many of them promote stuff that is not relevant to the area, store clientele, product mix, ....

We also look at previous years, what has succeeded after the FCBD versions came out, and use those patterns to place our order. This year we noticed that last year we had more girls than ever, so this year we concentrated on bringing in more girl-focused books, not just more titles but higher quantities. It worked really well.

We also look at books that we can promote. This year, besides XO which I know I will promote, we also promoted really heavily the Catalyst Prime Universe. That's a book that has a ton of UPSIDE. We gave each of our subs (250+ per store) a copy of the FCBD so that when the books come out, they know what they are.

We ordered 30% LESS titles this year than past years, and had more copies of the ones we wanted to promote. It's not necessarily about variety, if variety is not great.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

I know you consider all those factors, Ed. You have a huge shop in a major area, so you know what you can sell, but you also know what you can promote (and you do a great job at it).

But why does every shop I went to sell VEI books, but only 2 had the FCBD book? 1 had Catalyst Prime, but didn't have Noble on the shelf? Would you say they are just less well informed or just not planning appropriately?

paradise
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

BugsySig wrote:I know you consider all those factors, Ed. You have a huge shop in a major area, so you know what you can sell, but you also know what you can promote (and you do a great job at it).

But why does every shop I went to sell VEI books, but only 2 had the FCBD book? 1 had Catalyst Prime, but didn't have Noble on the shelf? Would you say they are just less well informed or just not planning appropriately?
lack of serious competition
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

paradise wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I know you consider all those factors, Ed. You have a huge shop in a major area, so you know what you can sell, but you also know what you can promote (and you do a great job at it).

lack of serious competition
Fair enough.

Lol.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

paradise wrote:We (and any store who knows business) have a budget for FCBD. It's about $2k for books, plus another $500 or so for advertising, printing costs and so on.
Jeez, I had no idea it was that expensive. The potential for new customers aside, do you find that you break even with sales of regular books, collectibles, etc that same day?