Ninjak: Rain of Terror

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

shadowmite
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Ninjak: Rain of Terror

Post by shadowmite »

Whats the story on this book? Anyone know?
Thanks

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

It was promoted with a poster given away at cons. I know that Bernard completed a few pages and the book was canned. I believe the artwork on the backer board for the Ninjak VcVSS is from this book. It looked to be a very cool project that sadly didn't make it. Bernard posted his art for the first few pages way back when, I'm sure someone could post a link.

childres
The more you post, the more you want to.
The more you post, the more you want to.

Post by childres »

If the rest of the art was as good as the backer board design, it would have been an awesome book!

-Joe

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Ninjak: Rain of Terror

Post by magnusr »

shadowmite wrote:Whats the story on this book? Anyone know?
Thanks
At the '95 San Diego Con Acclaim knew they had trouble. They spent several sessions asking fans what would be a smarter way to publish. One thing they mentioned was that they would concentrate on one-shots and mini-series, in order to get good quality and not being bound by release dates. This book was an example of this. They had the art for display in their booth and there were always people there admiring it. I do not know if it was the whole book or just sample pages. They also had flyers/posters about it. Bernard might remember more.

/Magnus

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

I found the flyer. It says "Moretti, Chang, Elliott, Ninjak, Rain of Terror, coming soon". It shows Ninjak, a nun, a woman (certainly not a nun) and what I assume to be Roosevelt and some Soviet military.

/Magnus

justin
Banned for stealing from his friends

Post by justin »

I have all 2 of the completed pages from this book I had bought from BC last year. My avatar is one of the panels!

-j
This user has been banned for using this website to steal from people who were his friends.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

architect wrote:I have all 2 of the completed pages from this book I had bought from BC last year. My avatar is one of the panels!

-j
Hmm... I always wondered where that avatar came from.

bernardchang
Dr. Mirage himself

Post by bernardchang »

hey all! first off, it was nice to see everyone at the sdcc last week. sorry we couldnt hang out longer that night, but perhaps next time. as for ninjak, i had produced a few pages of interior art, did a cover and the promo piece, but it was then cancelled shortly after bob left and fabian came in. i was actually pretty excited about drawing the book, being that it would have been my first regular book since graduating, so i could devote 100% of my time to working just on the series, rather than worry about homework. plus, i was good friends with mark moretti, who was one of the people that helped guide me when i first got into valiant, and randy elliott was awesome.

for the most part, from what i remember, the art direction of the book was to be more focused on the alphonse mucha art nouveau style that was so popular when joe quesada first started the book. as architect will confirm, the first few pages were pencilled, with a mysterious spy girl infiltrating a mansion, only to find ninjak there ready to do battle in the study. i probably still have the script somewhere, if i can only find it, but the mini-series had some russian spy elements as well. don't remember the role of the nun, but i do think the girl holding the wine glass was going to be the love interest. i will ask mark to see if he remembers.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Cool! If you find that script, please do us a favour and post it somehow - if you can't tell, we are ravenous for anything "new," even if it is over a decade old.

Anyone else think it's cool as all hell to see all these OG Valiant guys posting here???

*bows in Wayne & Garth reverence* WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT...

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

k_c_collectibles
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!

Post by k_c_collectibles »

Mr. Chang,

It was GREAT meeting you at the SDCC meeting! :D I very much appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule at the con to meet with us fanboys (and girls).

We are all very excited to see anything new that becomes posted about the Valiant Universe. All the projects that were started, but either never completed or not released are all like uncut gems that are seeing the light of day for the first time for us die hard fans.

Any chance you will be at East Coast meeting in April next year?
Chris
Hundreds of Valiant and Acclaim comics for GREAT prices! http://www.webstore.com/shop.php?user_id=96791

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

That is one rockin' Ninjak piece! Is that from Justin's stash of unreleased Ninjak art by Bernard?

Schmakt
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Schmakt »

wow, yeah, that's gorgeous. :)

I wish I got into the Ninjak character more... he's such a visually stunning character with the flowing and the purples and the blacks and golds and...

yeah. that's cool. :)

David_Cody
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

Quesada's interpretation of the Ninjak character was incredible...IMHO. So many of the panels could easily be interpreted as visual "works of art." That's why I bought my sole piece of Valiant original art.

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

bernardchang wrote:alphonse mucha art nouveau style
Did you see that one of the fine art dealers at the SDCC had an original Mucha! It was much bigger than I had thought. I would say at least 3 x 5. Simply incredible for a lithograph.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

did anyone enjoy any of the post-quesada ninjak books? layton seemed tothinkthat Q had messed him all up-but it got canned pretty early...

dave
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

magnusr wrote:I found the flyer. It says "Moretti, Chang, Elliott, Ninjak, Rain of Terror, coming soon". It shows Ninjak, a nun, a woman (certainly not a nun) /Magnus
Not even a very progressive nun? :D

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

or flying nun ?

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

dave wrote:
magnusr wrote:I found the flyer. It says "Moretti, Chang, Elliott, Ninjak, Rain of Terror, coming soon". It shows Ninjak, a nun, a woman (certainly not a nun) /Magnus
Not even a very progressive nun? :D
:lol: Aiming for a Lazarus award, are you?

Guess we have to read the story to know about the characters.

/Magnus