Your favorite comic book storyline ever

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Your favorite comic book storyline ever

Post by StarBrand »

What is your favorite comic book storyline ever?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Your favorite comic book storyline ever

Post by possumgrease »

After much soul searching, Cerebus, High Society.

rambone
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by rambone »

poison elves the whole run

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Nice old school picks, guys! Those are both black and white runs too, I believe! Or was Poison Elves color?

apacseller
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

Brief Lives- Sandman. It was one of the first times I realized that comics could be complicated and cerebral (I was young). Blew my mind.

rambone

Post by rambone »

StarBrand wrote:Nice old school picks, guys! Those are both black and white runs too, I believe! Or was Poison Elves color?
mostly b/w I think there was a color special issue

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

rambone wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Nice old school picks, guys! Those are both black and white runs too, I believe! Or was Poison Elves color?
mostly b/w I think there was a color special issue
Cool. Thanks.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Season of Mists or Midsummer Night's Dream - Sandman. As a kid I was blown away with the Marvels storyline and art. But, when I got back into comics later, Sandman became very special.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

That's a very hard one. I'm a all in type of guy and that being said the most captivating and constantly good story bar none is the walking dead. After Valiant shut down is what I call the dark ages of valiant it was y the last man and the walking dead that got me back into comics it was around the same time as the dark key re boot and that ended and *SQUEE* me off. The walking dead is month by month a very good read.
I gotta say the new valiant comics re boot was very surprising in some regards. I only committed 100% to xo but thought what do I have to lose by getting a few #1 and see if I like it. In the 90's I wasent a fan of bloodshot or Harbinger but after reading number one I was hooked. Bloodshot and Harbinger were absolute amazing. I'm not talking about xo because he will and has been my favorite.
That all being said Turok Dinosaur Hunter up to issue 12 and son of stone the entire run are close seconds thirds or fourths.
You hook me by not canceling stuff or doing minis. no mini will ever be as good as 100 issues.
As a single 4 issue story. I'd have to go with torkhala in harbingers. Or armor hunters.
I Miss the good old days.

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

It's a very close call between a few Fantagraphics: "Maggie The Mechanic" from Love & Rockets vs. the entire original run of Hate. I think Hate gets it by a (bulbous, Buddy Bradley) nose--those stories are still simultaneously very funny and kinda sad.

A lil' L&R...

& a taste o' Hate...

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

We did one of my favorite OTV episodes back in the

The "desert island" one.

My desert island runs were:

1- Sandman
2- Fables
3- dark horse Conan

Not sure what I'd say now. I think Dysart's Harby run and V-Ditti's XO would make my top 5-ish.

Sandman has got to be up there. But it's not one particular part.
It's the whole thing.

So a small run.....

The BWS eternal warrior books (either 6 and 7 or 7 and 8) are amazing.

Hard question now. My reading has changed so much

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

apacseller wrote:Brief Lives- Sandman. It was one of the first times I realized that comics could be complicated and cerebral (I was young). Blew my mind.
Brief Lives is definitely my favorite. Made me completely rethink the way I look at life and death. The scene of Morpheus depressed after helping end the suffering of Orpheus has been the wallpaper of every computer I've owned for almost 20 years.

My Twitter avi is Death with a quote from this storyline. It's actually one of my favorite statements of a fact ever: "You get what anyone gets. You get a lifetime."

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

I'll second Dark Horse Conan and Poison Elves. And add the original Rom. Not sure what else. I have to think about it.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

lorddunlow wrote:
My Twitter avi is Death with a quote from this storyline. It's actually one of my favorite statements of a fact ever: "You get what anyone gets. You get a lifetime."

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
I love that line and have quoted it many times over the years.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

On the Dark Horse Conan, is there a particular place to start?

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

Man, I gotta answer this in 2 4 different ways, if you don't mind: :D

Mini-Series: DKR, the original series (as much as I dig some of the stuff that was added to this universe, I still live in a world where I can easily forget those extras. DKR in a way, to me, will always be those first 4 issues.)

Ongoing (with multiple books being brought to the party): The Morrison Batman Saga. Unbelievable piece of work that celebrates 70 years of the Gotham Goliath, from Bat-Mite to OG Batwoman to Damian Bats. There will never be anything like it, when it comes to Bats. It is a very cerebral AND emotional read and some of its best stuff is in the quiet moments, but make no mistakes, you get a whole lotta a**-kicking by Bruce.

I'd also add Manga (I know, technically NOT US comics, but it is comics :P ): Rurouni Kenshin. The perfect amount of actiony martial arts/kenjutsu, humour and heart. I feel that the characters in this series are almost like "family", if you get my meaning.

Shout out to the coolest Samurai rabbit around: Usagi Yojimbo. This series is just fantastic and one of the greatest works in the field, ever. I hope that Stan Sakai will live long enough to finish it. If you never read Usagi, you are missing out.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Infinity Gauntlet. It was one of the first superhero storylines I read in its entirety when I was... 12? and it just struck a chord with my kind of pretension. I liked the idea of an honourable villain who dreamed to raise his station and was able to defeat not only an impressive army of heroes (and Doctor Doom) but an array of god-like cosmic entities, only to lose that power because he himself knew he was not worthy of it. And he did it all out of a twisted chivalry, the way a knight pined over a woman above his own station who he could never have as his own.

I never experimented with mind-altering substances. Starlin was my drug.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

possumgrease wrote:On the Dark Horse Conan, is there a particular place to start?
Issue #0 of the Busiek and Nord run. Amazing!

Read until #50.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

So many great, classic stories that I've loved over the years that it's hard to simply chose one over all others, but I'll have to go with...

Grendel: War Child.

This was a 10 issue mini-series put out by Dark Horse in around 1992 that was actually meant to be issues #41-50 of the original Comico run of Grendel. The entire concept & series of Grendel remains my all-time favourite comic series, but this story was the first one I encountered as a teen, and it was the first comic I read that opened my mind to the possibility of comics as a great storytelling medium that could be set in *any* genre, not just the standard superhero fare.

Each individual issue also had a written summary of each of the previous Grendel incarnations at the back, and I devoured these descriptions at the time having never heard of the comic before. I was hungry to read the Comico issues but back then they were very difficult to track down in my small hometown with no internet/eBay/etc. at the time.

And I will say this, while it was an intensely cool dystopian sci-fi action epic all on its own (and it stands on its own without knowing a shred of Grendel's history), to really appreciate how great War Child was, you gotta read 1-40 of the Comico run. So much layered into War Child that is a major payoff of the entire idea.

I also gotta give honourable mentions to;

1] The Planetary - that entire 26 issue run is close to Grendel as an all-time top favourite story/comic. So clever & cool.
2] Strikeforce Morituri #1-13 - another genre bending comic that I thought was ahead of its time in the mid 80's. Superhero stuff but with a major sci-fi slant. Very inspiring to me while growing up.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

grendeljd wrote:Grendel: War Child.
I am an outspoken Grendel fan too but I came to Grendel later in life. I remember the first time I read Grendel War Child, I got online right then and there (which was probably pretty late at night) and tried to talk about it with some friends of mine in an IRC chat room who were sorta comic book people and of course NONE OF THEM HAD EVER READ IT to my great annoyance. I don't remember being so moved by any other chapter of the Grendel cycle.

And just a few short years later, my wife and I were on our honeymoon and I was telling Matt Wagner how Orian Assante was my favourite Grendel.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Chiclo wrote:
I am an outspoken Grendel fan too but I came to Grendel later in life. I remember the first time I read Grendel War Child, I got online right then and there (which was probably pretty late at night) and tried to talk about it with some friends of mine in an IRC chat room who were sorta comic book people and of course NONE OF THEM HAD EVER READ IT to my great annoyance. I don't remember being so moved by any other chapter of the Grendel cycle.

And just a few short years later, my wife and I were on our honeymoon and I was telling Matt Wagner how Orian Assante was my favourite Grendel.
Damn, I have been wanting to read this since I first read what jd's nickname meant. :thumb:
Completely forgot about that- I freaking love Matt Wagner's style. I have his Batman minis- he's the kind of artist I like most, cartoony but with a very stylish taste. His comics look fabulous and they read "easy"- at least the stuff I have read is very straight forward comics, in the best of ways..

This is the year I will catch up on some series: already started ordering the Invincible HCs (haven't read nothing yet, though), will get the Hellboy stuff later in the year and "now" Grendel. Lots of good stuff.

And Miracleman has been released recently here in a Omnibus format (includes A Dream of Flying, The Red King Syndrome and Olympus plus all the short stories from the Original Writer 8-) ). Translated to portuguese, though. I just peeked a wee bit and saw some gnarly stuff- I want to read that, for sure.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

VALIANT's Solar, MotA 1-10
X-Men's Dark Phoenix Saga
TWD 1-6
V For Vendetta
ASM 268-270 Spider-Man v/s Firelord

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Chiclo wrote:

*Love* the Orian Assante era of the tale - such a unique way of presenting his story in the Devils Reign issues. Those text-then-image panels that all read like public news reporting on the sequence of events, and then the shorter second stories of Grendel's Palace at the end of each issue. Just fantastic.

And of course, I also love his part in God & The Devil, along with Eppy Thatcher.

I can sympathize with how frustrating it must have been to try & discuss Grendel with others - so few people I've known have read it either.

Very cool that you've met Matt at a con - I have yet to do so, myself.

I've just heard he is finally starting on the final chapter of Mage, have you read that series?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

Damn, I have been wanting to read this since I first read what jd's nickname meant. :thumb:
Completely forgot about that- I freaking love Matt Wagner's style. I have his Batman minis- he's the kind of artist I like most, cartoony but with a very stylish taste. His comics look fabulous and they read "easy"- at least the stuff I have read is very straight forward comics, in the best of ways..

This is the year I will catch up on some series: already started ordering the Invincible HCs (haven't read nothing yet, though), will get the Hellboy stuff later in the year and "now" Grendel. Lots of good stuff.

And Miracleman has been released recently here in a Omnibus format (includes A Dream of Flying, The Red King Syndrome and Olympus plus all the short stories from the Original Writer 8-) ). Translated to portuguese, though. I just peeked a wee bit and saw some gnarly stuff- I want to read that, for sure.
Dude. Duuuuuuuude.

You will love it. The story begins with a character who is kind of like a psychopathic Batman in the present day, and then slowly evolves into something along the lines of an East Of West dystopian future. With vampires & werewolves and crazy Mad Max action, and yet all of it is so much more sophisticated than any of those individual elements may sound like on the surface.

And, I know you're a huge fan of Batman - there are even two Batman/Grendel crossover mini series!

Fair warning though - a lot has been written about Hunter Rose, the first Grendel, after the fact. So if you get an omnibus of his era, I will recommend skipping some of it when you read it. Some of his stuff doesn't really contribute to the impact of the grander scale of the tale on your first read through, and would be better left until you burn through all the rest of it first.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

Dude. Duuuuuuuude.

You will love it. The story begins with a character who is kind of like a psychopathic Batman in the present day, and then slowly evolves into something along the lines of an East Of West dystopian future. With vampires & werewolves and crazy Mad Max action, and yet all of it is so much more sophisticated than any of those individual elements may sound like on the surface.

And, I know you're a huge fan of Batman - there are even two Batman/Grendel crossover mini series!

Fair warning though - a lot has been written about Hunter Rose, the first Grendel, after the fact. So if you get an omnibus of his era, I will recommend skipping some of it when you read it. Some of his stuff doesn't really contribute to the impact of the grander scale of the tale on your first read through, and would be better left until you burn through all the rest of it first.
Thanks for the info, bud. I knew about the Batman crossovers, yeah, when you told us what the your nick meant I researched and found it. Also found pics of an uber cool looking character. I really dig these visuals.
Seriously, this must be right on my alley. I will be at the LCS later this week, will check if there's anything there.
Again, Thanks, buddy! :high-five:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo