$1 million on comics

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar
Re: $1 million on comics

Post by corey »

I think I'll add some of my GA grails (not the crazy ones)

Black cat mystery 50
Crime does not pay 24 34
Law breakers suspense 11
Fight against crime 20
Chamberof chills 19
Crime patrol 15
Venus 19
Suspense comics 8

I could go on all day lol

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

GGSAE wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:Spider-Man 300 9.9 cgc
Batman adventures 9.9 cgc
upgrading my nyx #3 9.8 cgc to a nyx #3 9.9 cgc ss
new mutants 9.8 cgc ss
hulk 181 cgc 9.8
amazing fantasy 15 mid grade
iron man 55 cgc 9.8
timely marvel comics 1
detective comics 1 low grade
action comics 1 low grade
bloodshot platinum 9.8
Spider-Man 129 9.8
...after I got those I would just look around and buy any good deals on silver and bronze age key issue comics I could find online sure I could spend the rest rather quick,
Does a BA 12 9.9 exist?
I would really avoid BA 12, I think they're just very common. Not saying it won't retain value, but from a risk/reward perspective if you can find big keys, especially low grade keys of books in the $50-70 range you're almost guaranteed not to lose money. A few years back I bought an intact (but low grade) Batman 181 for $30. Stuff like that, do that as much as you can, both graded and raw, everything from the golden age to late silver. Throw in some nice raws on bronze and a bunch of copper keys and you're set!
I haven't looked but I don't think a 9.9 exists. BA 12 is one of my biggest success stories. I bought a NM copy from My Comic Shop for $40 about 5 years ago, maybe longer. I love Harley Quinn and I wanted a high grade copy for my collection. When it arrived, I looked it over and was absolutely floored by its condition. I knew I would send it off to CGC. It came back at a 9.8. It has increased in price every year. As for buying it now, I think the book will retain its value for several more years, maybe a few price bumps here and there, but I think the main increase has already happened.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

corey wrote:I think I'll add some of my GA grails (not the crazy ones)

Black cat mystery 50
Crime does not pay 24 34
Law breakers suspense 11
Fight against crime 20
Chamberof chills 19
Crime patrol 15
Venus 19
Suspense comics 8

I could go on all day lol
Nice. I like those old crime books too.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Tony_H
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

greg wrote:One book. The highest CGC graded (unrestored) copy of Action #1 that $1,000,000 could get me. :lol:
My thinking is similar. I'd shoot for the best copy of All Star Comics 8 (1st Wonder Woman) and/or More Fun 52 (1st Spectre) that I could find. Of the two, the All Star would be the better investment, but Jim Corrigan's ghost has been a lifelong sentimental favorite.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

Detective comics #27, no matter the grade.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

I'd hit the quarter bin. :D

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Burrito Boy wrote:I'd hit the quarter bin. :D
:lol:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

ShadowTuga wrote:Detective comics #27, no matter the grade.
I've always wanted that book too. In fact, I just bought a Millinium reprint of Detective 27 in CGC 9.8. Closest thing to owning the real book, and one of the reasons I think some of those reprints are going to continue going up in price.
I also bought an Amazing Fantasy 15 Milestone edition in CGC 9.8. As the first prints of those books continue to skyrocket out of sight in price, watch for the reprints to go up as well.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

StarBrand wrote:
I've always wanted that book too. In fact, I just bought a Millinium reprint of Detective 27 in CGC 9.8. Closest thing to owning the real book, and one of the reasons I think some of those reprints are going to continue going up in price.
I also bought an Amazing Fantasy 15 Milestone edition in CGC 9.8. As the first prints of those books continue to skyrocket out of sight in price, watch for the reprints to go up as well.
You think should I go for a Millenium, SB? It's around 65 bucks or so, right now. :hm:
I do have the story in paperback, hardcover and the floppy that reprinted it, 3 years ago (Detective Comics nu52 #27); but I never thought of the potential value of reprints, specially for books like this one.
I do like the Millenium dress. :thumb:

Those milestone editions- I gotta check these out. I see there's an UXM #1 and an IH #1, besides AF #15. 8-)
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

Seems the answer is obvious from all the responses. First appearance keys, gold, silver, bronze major characters as high grade as possible.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

ShadowTuga wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
You think should I go for a Millenium, SB? It's around 65 bucks or so, right now. :hm:
I do have the story in paperback, hardcover and the floppy that reprinted it, 3 years ago (Detective Comics nu52 #27); but I never thought of the potential value of reprints, specially for books like this one.

Those milestone editions- I gotta check these out. I see there's an UXM #1 and an IH #1, besides AF #15. 8-)
In my opinion, yes. I've got my money where my mouth is on this. I think there are some board members who disagree with me though. :)
If you search eBay for Milestone cgc 9.8 you'll find a bunch! ComicKings has some listed right now at good prices.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
$1 million on comics

Post by possumgrease »

Tangentially related. If you had $1 or more, would you pay it towards a 3% mortgage or golden or silver age keys?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

possumgrease wrote:Tangentially related. If you had $1 or more, would you pay it towards a 3% mortgage or golden or silver age keys?
$1???

possumgrease
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

StarBrand wrote:
possumgrease wrote:Tangentially related. If you had $1 or more, would you pay it towards a 3% mortgage or golden or silver age keys?
$1???
I used 1$ to ask: do we think keys will appreciate more than 3% a year. Regardless of the dollar amount, one or million.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Oh, okay. I think at least some keys will beat 3% annually.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

This is a great thread. I think I would lean toward the big ticket items (major Silver keys) ... like to fit everything in a single short box.

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

GGSAE wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:
new mutants 9.8 cgc ss
hulk 181 cgc 9.8
iron man 55 cgc 9.8
timely marvel comics 1
bloodshot platinum 9.8
Spider-Man 129 9.8
...after I got those I would just look around and buy any good deals on silver and bronze age key issue comics I could find online sure I could spend the rest rather quick,

Does a BA 12 9.9 exist?
I would really avoid BA 12, I think they're just very common. Not saying it won't retain value, but from a risk/reward perspective if you can find big keys, especially low grade keys of books in the $50-70 range you're almost guaranteed not to lose money. A few years back I bought an intact (but low grade) Batman 181 for $30. Stuff like that, do that as much as you can, both graded and raw, everything from the golden age to late silver. Throw in some nice raws on bronze and a bunch of copper keys and you're set!
I know I am going to take flak for this but I agree about the BA 12 complete. To me she was just made into a TNA character which increased popularity considerably.

hulk181man

Post by hulk181man »

maraxusofkeld wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:
new mutants 9.8 cgc ss
hulk 181 cgc 9.8
iron man 55 cgc 9.8
timely marvel comics 1
bloodshot platinum 9.8
Spider-Man 129 9.8

Does a BA 12 9.9 exist?
I know I am going to take flak for this but I agree about the BA 12 complete. To me she was just made into a TNA character which increased popularity considerably.
But...but... I really, really like that TNA character! She was by far the best part of Suicide Squad's movie.
There's just a certain appeal to a crazy hot chick... :?

hulk181man

Post by hulk181man »

possumgrease wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
$1???
I used 1$ to ask: do we think keys will appreciate more than 3% a year. Regardless of the dollar amount, one or million.
Study an amortization schedule, if you're early on in a mortgage those extra $$ have a nice compounding effect on a mortgage balance (because early mortgage loan payments are almost all interest). If you're well along or close to paying off the loan the compounding is minimal and probably a better idea to invest in potential high yield assets.

greatbrandino11
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

hulk181man wrote:
maraxusofkeld wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:
new mutants 9.8 cgc ss
hulk 181 cgc 9.8
iron man 55 cgc 9.8
timely marvel comics 1
bloodshot platinum 9.8
Spider-Man 129 9.8

Does a BA 12 9.9 exist?
But...but... I really, really like that TNA character! She was by far the best part of Suicide Squad's movie.
There's just a certain appeal to a crazy hot chick... :?
I like crazy chicks.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

StarBrand wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
StarBrand wrote:

In my opinion, yes. I've got my money where my mouth is on this. I think there are some board members who disagree with me though. :)
If you search eBay for Milestone cgc 9.8 you'll find a bunch! ComicKings has some listed right now at good prices.
Thank You! :high-five:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo