Valiant Deluxe Editions Going Out of Print

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Valiant Deluxe Editions Going Out of Print

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

paradise wrote:
Savant wrote:
rkjock1 wrote:
paradise wrote:
Savant wrote: I'm surprised the first Archer & Armstrong deluxe is going for so much. I bought it for $10 (clearance at my LCS) around 4 months ago. I wasn't sure if I'd get it since I already had the single issues & tpbs comprising of those issues, but at that cheap price I bought it anyway.
So you are judging national and international demand and supply by how one store sold their copy?
No. He's saying that he didn't have a clue of the value of A&A books since, as far as he was aware from his personal experience, they were clearance items.
Not even that. Buying clearance items is a luck of the draw situation. I just assumed, if anything, the A&A deluxe simply goes for cover price (or a little less).

It's cool that there's demand for the hardcover, but what really threw me off is, although I enjoyed Van Lente's run on that title, I don't remember it being a hot comic during its run.
It does not have to be. True capitalism only requires that supply (or perceived supply) is lower than demand.
I doubt there is a demand for (more than) 12 copies of A&A Dlx Ed 1 ranging between $190-2.000. This isn't true capitalism - this is madness! :P

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: I doubt there is a demand for (more than) 12 copies of A&A Dlx Ed 1 ranging between $190-2.000. This isn't true capitalism - this is madness! :P
Then why am I still getting at least one or more PMs per day asking me if I have one and at what price? I sold out of it over 2 months ago. Trust me there is still demand.

What I think some may not understand is that many VEI collectors did not collect the HCs until a couple started going out of print and demanding high prices. Nothing attracts collectors like value. A&A may not have demand, but collecting Deluxe HCs has now become a popular thing with VEI fans, specially judging from the fact that multiple people just bought a dozen or more in print HCs from me at a time, and the fact that I sold more Ninjak HCs first day than I did some others lifetime.

it's a thing, trust me.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by bobby97801 »

Why are Harbinger and X-O Manowar Deluxe #1 still so cheap?

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

bobby97801 wrote:Why are Harbinger and X-O Manowar Deluxe #1 still so cheap?
I assume there is more supply, but I don't know. Seems like those two went back to print at some point.

paradise
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

Cause they are still selling. They are also first two so I am sure VEI was a bit enthusiastic producing them. Later volumes had sales history to establish production numbers.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

Sunlight on Snow

paradise wrote:
Cause they are still selling. They are also first two so I am sure VEI was a bit enthusiastic producing them. Later volumes had sales history to establish production numbers.
Like I mentioned before, these two (seem two) have second printings. There's probably a higher demand for these that is matched with a higher production - must have something to do with true capitalism. :P

Mycomicshop.com is currently offering a Harbinger Dlx Ed 1-REP with a production date from NOV 2015. Of course it would be nice if someone could confirm this but why would they describe it as such if it wasn't a latter/second printing?

@paradise. I know what you're saying and I don't mean to say these hardcovers -low print run & OOP- aren't attractive for collectors at all, however, the price range of $129-2.000 (sorry $190 was a typo) for a used copy of a 3-yr old hardcover book still doesn't seem very attractive though. Why do people keep asking you (I did, too) when they could easily get a copy via Amazon? It's the internet and with the news of the book being OOP the average price has gotten up (quickly) and it's just a matter of time before the next guy (possibly me) is crazy enough to buy regardless of the high price. Of course this is free market capitalism. It's also madness and wouldn't be possible without the internet.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Collectors love chasing rarity. Now that something is difficult to get, they want it. People who were on the fence on these books are now suddenly scrambling before it's "too late." The books might go up in price. Then again, they might not. Who knows? I think they're great.

battlepark
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: uh...All of them!

Post by battlepark »

paradise wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote: I doubt there is a demand for (more than) 12 copies of A&A Dlx Ed 1 ranging between $190-2.000. This isn't true capitalism - this is madness! :P
Then why am I still getting at least one or more PMs per day asking me if I have one and at what price? I sold out of it over 2 months ago. Trust me there is still demand.

What I think some may not understand is that many VEI collectors did not collect the HCs until a couple started going out of print and demanding high prices. Nothing attracts collectors like value. A&A may not have demand, but collecting Deluxe HCs has now become a popular thing with VEI fans, specially judging from the fact that multiple people just bought a dozen or more in print HCs from me at a time, and the fact that I sold more Ninjak HCs first day than I did some others lifetime.

it's a thing, trust me.
I am guilty of this! I am a completest, and have to catch them all. Honestly never thought HCs would be going for those kinds of prices and figured
I had time to get them later.
I hoard Newsstand Editions facepalm

rmfwfu
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by rmfwfu »

Personally, I just started to read the Valiant U, and my preferred style is the OHCs. So, when I saw that several volumes are out of print, I started looking to get a few before they go out of stock, as every indication is that reprints are no longer being planned. I've probably PM'd @ paradise a couple times now looking for things, and sure, I was too late for most of them. Because there's a run on Shadowman v1 in the past 2 weeks (at least online), I went ahead and bought a copy from Amazon UK.

But, yeah, tell people that the books are going OOP and plenty of people will pick up extra copies to flip on Ebay. It IS funny when books that couldn't get sold at firesales all of a sudden go for cover+ because they're RARE! I think Terry Moore makes reference to this phenomenon as well...

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Welcome to the board!

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

This is a very interesting topic. I wonder what people will do with the 4 rare signed versions of these? :hm:

rkjock1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1992
Favorite character: VEI Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Roberto De La Torre

Post by rkjock1 »

Ramses818 wrote:This is a very interesting topic. I wonder what people will do with the 4 rare signed versions of these? :hm:
Personally, I'm hanging onto mine.
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

Sunlight on Snow

I just found the Deluxe Editions of BS 1, Harbinger 1, and XO 1 for 25 each. Life's good!

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:I just found the Deluxe Editions of BS 1, Harbinger 1, and XO 1 for 25 each. Life's good!
Is that the BS (2012)? That is a tougher one to find, for sure.

By the by, many of these can still be found in the wild. I would say that they can be found more so on the West Coast, but I found my BoD in Washington DC, so that isn't true. I've found BS (2012) on the West Coast, both in Comic Shops.

Get out there and HUNT!!
Moose

Sunlight on Snow

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:I just found the Deluxe Editions of BS 1, Harbinger 1, and XO 1 for 25 each. Life's good!
Is that the BS (2012)? That is a tougher one to find, for sure.

By the by, many of these can still be found in the wild. I would say that they can be found more so on the West Coast, but I found my BoD in Washington DC, so that isn't true. I've found BS (2012) on the West Coast, both in Comic Shops.

Get out there and HUNT!!
The one from 2012!

Like many other readers I missed out getting the Deluxe Editions right from the start. Then last year I convinced a friend to get into Valiant comics. He wasn't sure about subscribing to an ongoing series and decided to go for a couple of hardcovers first. He did like what I had told him about Rai and Crain's brilliant artwork so he ordered it. Unfortunately he didn't really like it so the hardcover ended up at my place and that's when I felt in love with the format. I don't necessarily need to collect all of them at once but I guess it's about damn time to go hunt for the already hard-to-find ones and the ones I don't own the print copies of (A&A, early BS and XO). Unfortunately it's a bit more difficult over here in Germany. Less Valiant readers means less available copies in general and only a few shops would stock many (regular) Valiant comics to begin with. Anyhow, collecting wouldn't be so much fun without the hunting!

Tele-Viper
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Cafu

Post by Tele-Viper »

If anyone finds Rai in the wild (it is not available at any comic shop in the NYC area), PM me: I'd be willing to pay a cover plus shipping plus a small finder's fee but we should negotiate first.

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

rkjock1 wrote:
Ramses818 wrote:This is a very interesting topic. I wonder what people will do with the 4 rare signed versions of these? :hm:
Personally, I'm hanging onto mine.
I'm hanging onto the 2 signed I have, and I doubt many of those will ever come up- so I'll likely only have two for the foreseeable future.
Side note- My LCS has most of the regs a couple weeks ago (I don't make it there every week).
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

bobby97801

Post by bobby97801 »

I'm still looking for a Bloodshot Deluxe #1 signed edition. I have the others :clap:

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

for those interested/in the market, it's at $60 with only one bidder...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Book-Of-Death-D ... SwB-1Y0s0X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moose