Turok #1 (Four Color #596) slab thread

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Turok #1 (Four Color #596) slab thread

Post by StarBrand »

I figured it would be cool to have a thread discussing this book too.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
Re: Turok 596 slab thread

Post by FormerReader »

I picked up a 7.5 copy of this book this year. I had been waiting several years to get a copy of this book. Since these were part of Valiant in the 1990's, all three of the Gold Key characters still feel like they are Valiant characters to me so I was excited to own their first appearances.

Nairbe

Post by Nairbe »

FormerReader wrote:I picked up a 7.5 copy of this book this year. I had been waiting several years to get a copy of this book. Since these were part of Valiant in the 1990's, all three of the Gold Key characters still feel like they are Valiant characters to me so I was excited to own their first appearances.
So you have GK first appearances for Solar, Magnus and Turok?

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

Nairbe wrote:
FormerReader wrote:I picked up a 7.5 copy of this book this year. I had been waiting several years to get a copy of this book. Since these were part of Valiant in the 1990's, all three of the Gold Key characters still feel like they are Valiant characters to me so I was excited to own their first appearances.
Yes. Turok's first appearance was the last one I needed. None of them are high grade, but I thought they are all nice enough copies for me.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

FormerReader wrote:
Nairbe wrote:
Yes. Turok's first appearance was the last one I needed. None of them are high grade, but I thought they are all nice enough copies for me.
When it comes to Four Color #596 (Turok #1) a CGC 7.5 is a pretty high grade. The average for all graded copies is 6.07... and only 25 copies have been graded higher than CGC 7.5.

StarBrand
Re: Turok #1 (Four Color #596) slab thread

Post by StarBrand »

Interesting analysis.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

greg wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
Nairbe wrote:
When it comes to Four Color #596 (Turok #1) a CGC 7.5 is a pretty high grade. The average for all graded copies is 6.07... and only 25 copies have been graded higher than CGC 7.5.
Good to know. I'm never very sure at what grade a book is considered "high grade". For the Gold Key books I wanted a 7.5 or higher in each book because 1) I could still afford them 2) I think they have very nice eye appeal. A 9.4 would be great, but it would be hard for me to justify spending that much money on a comic.

greg

Post by greg »

FormerReader wrote:
greg wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
Nairbe wrote:
Good to know. I'm never very sure at what grade a book is considered "high grade". For the Gold Key books I wanted a 7.5 or higher in each book because 1) I could still afford them 2) I think they have very nice eye appeal. A 9.4 would be great, but it would be hard for me to justify spending that much money on a comic.
Normally, 7.5 isn't a high grade book, it's a solid mid-grade... but Four Color #596 is over 60 years old. You can start taking 1 point away from the "high grade" definition for each decade prior to 1970. :D

1970s "high grade" > 9.0
1960s "high grade" > 8.0
1950s "high grade" > 7.0
1940s "high grade" > 6.0
1930s "high grade" > 5.0

:thumb:

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I am very happy I found mine. Paid 200.00 for it 2 years ago and it graded at 5.5 so I'm really happy with that. It was the #1 book I wanted like for ever as Turok gold key started me on my love of comics and Turok Dinosaur Hunter led me to Valiant which led me to xo his blood brother so here I am labeled now as a Valiant super fan.
I Miss the good old days.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

nonplayer wrote:I am very happy I found mine. Paid 200.00 for it 2 years ago and it graded at 5.5 so I'm really happy with that. It was the #1 book I wanted like for ever as Turok gold key started me on my love of comics and Turok Dinosaur Hunter led me to Valiant which led me to xo his blood brother so here I am labeled now as a Valiant super fan.

lol turok dinosaur hunter was the same comic for me and also led me to x-o

bbuuut i dont have the 1st app

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

corey wrote:
nonplayer wrote:I am very happy I found mine. Paid 200.00 for it 2 years ago and it graded at 5.5 so I'm really happy with that. It was the #1 book I wanted like for ever as Turok gold key started me on my love of comics and Turok Dinosaur Hunter led me to Valiant which led me to xo his blood brother so here I am labeled now as a Valiant super fan.

lol turok dinosaur hunter was the same comic for me and also led me to x-o

bbuuut i dont have the 1st app
I was this little kid and mom went into a grocery store I asked if I could go look in the book store in the back the guy had alot of long boxes. I was amazed by how meny comic were there. I flipped through and son of stone looked so cool. Mom came back and for a few bucks got me q ragetty issue. That started it for me.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

nycjadie wrote:Last weekend I was vastly outbid on a 596 on Heritage that closed for $1673 ungraded. I would love to add a copy to my collection, but am holding out for a 8.5 or higher.
Thought this would be worth talking about.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

FormerReader wrote:
nycjadie wrote:Yes, unslabbed at 8.0. Here is the link:
https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-19 ... dofauction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a nice copy, so I thought it would go high, just not that high.
Wow! I got an email from them on the auction. I was going to follow it, but lost track of it. I feel that much better about the CGC 7.5 I bought a couple of months ago. I wonder what drove the price so high?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

How much did you pay for your 7.5? Still looking for my first copy, but I'd like a 8.5 or higher.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

nycjadie wrote:How much did you pay for your 7.5? Still looking for my first copy, but I'd like a 8.5 or higher.

I will have to check to verify, but I believe before the buyer premium $501. I think I paid right around $600 after the premium. I would love an 8.5 or higher as well, but with a wife and kids in the picture my disposable income is not what it once was. :lol:

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

FormerReader wrote:
nycjadie wrote:How much did you pay for your 7.5? Still looking for my first copy, but I'd like a 8.5 or higher.

I will have to check to verify, but I believe before the buyer premium $501. I think I paid right around $600 after the premium. I would love an 8.5 or higher as well, but with a wife and kids in the picture my disposable income is not what it once was. :lol:
Great buy. I hear you on price. I'll need to sell some items to justify that buy!

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

nycjadie wrote:
FormerReader wrote:

Great buy. I hear you on price. I'll need to sell some items to justify that buy!
Thanks. My normal strategy is to buy at the high end and then watch the value drop. It is nice to do it the other way :P

greg

Post by greg »

$1,673 for an ungraded (not slabbed) 8.0 is an impressive number. Even if the buyer is hoping it's an 8.5, that's still an impressive number for a CGC 8.5.

Nairbe

Post by Nairbe »

FormerReader wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
FormerReader wrote:

Thanks. My normal strategy is to buy at the high end and then watch the value drop. It is nice to do it the other way :P
:funnypost:

I feel your pain.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

After 30+ years of wanting this, I finally ot one two years back for $50 on ebay.
Using Gregs search what seem slike ten years on, i logged on randomly and it was the 1st thing listed as new and i just froze, thought for 10 seconds and pressed the BIN, shipped to the UK it was about $80 insured and is a mid grade copy. Single best bargain in last ten years as far as keys is concerned for me :)
I do not do slabs, so sadly not as relevant as the thread suggests :)
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Draco wrote:After 30+ years of wanting this, I finally ot one two years back for $50 on ebay.
Using Gregs search what seem slike ten years on, i logged on randomly and it was the 1st thing listed as new and i just froze, thought for 10 seconds and pressed the BIN, shipped to the UK it was about $80 insured and is a mid grade copy. Single best bargain in last ten years as far as keys is concerned for me :)
I did the same thing except I asked all the dealers at in town comic conventions. Finally one called me and I paid 200 Canadian and it graded a 6.5. I don't do cgc but The thin plastic mylar bag and board was not strong enough to protect it in my eyes. so I invested in getting it graded.
I suggest you do the same one drop or spill and youll cry like a baby.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Very nice, nonplayer.

Draco

Post by Draco »

nonplayer wrote:
Draco wrote:After 30+ years of wanting this, I finally ot one two years back for $50 on ebay.
I did the same thing except I asked all the dealers at in town comic conventions. Finally one called me and I paid 200 Canadian and it graded a 6.5. I don't do cgc but The thin plastic mylar bag and board was not strong enough to protect it in my eyes. so I invested in getting it graded.
Lol I totally get that, but I just haven't slabbed a single comic since it all kicked off. 140 boxes of madness and only a few keys now. It's not even in a bag right now ;)
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Draco wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
It's not even in a bag right now ;)
Sacrilegious facepalm

Draco

Post by Draco »

nonplayer wrote:
Draco wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
It's not even in a bag right now ;)
Sacrilegious facepalm
I have 140+ boxes of madness and that's too many to keep swapping into new bags etc every 5 to 10 years.
it came in a crappy mylar and bag that looked someone took a leak on it and its between two clean boards with some other cool stuff nice and tight in a box that gets no sunlight in a room that is cool :)