Generation Zero to End

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Generation Zero to End

Post by jeremycoe »

Looks like Generation Zero will end after the second arc, making issue 8(?) the last issue. In a chat today Van Lente said:
BikeTodd, in this instance the fans' fears are well-founded, looks like Gen Zero will only last two storyarcs.
But there are two good storyarcs and I'll be able to wrap the storyline the way I want.
It's disappointing, but it's hard to blame Valiant when you look at the sales numbers.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Re: Generation Zero to End

Post by Keith »

Well *SQUEE*. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

wow...

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

WOW, I thought the book was just starting to pick up a little steam too.
Moose

krylox
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: Armstrong

Post by krylox »

oh no. at least we get the 8 issues instead of a mini. but still:
:|

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

Dang. I had high hopes for this series. Figured it would at least make it to issue #12.
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

jeremycoe
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Actually issue 10 looks to be the end. The first arc goes through issue 5.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Sad to hear it's ending already. It was just starting to pick up speed for me. I guess they can reboot it in a few months with Matt Kindt writing this as well though, right? :?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Tim

Post by Tim »

Just put him on everything so I can drop it all at once. :lol:

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Cant help but think Gen Zero is a victim of timing. I for one, didn't pick up the book as the heat had long since died off from Harbinger Wars. Had this book come out 2yrs ago perhaps it would have lasted longer, who knows...

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:Cant help but think Gen Zero is a victim of timing. I for one, didn't pick up the book as the heat had long since died off from Harbinger Wars. Had this book come out 2yrs ago perhaps it would have lasted longer, who knows...
Wasn't this supposed to be riding the Faith wave? I did not read it, but if it's massively successful it could had lead to an inconsistency of tone in the universe.I guess this is bittersweet.

Keith

Post by Keith »

Dinesh replied to our very own thagreatmagnet and his lament on Gen Zero ending at #8:
dino wrote:not ending at 8. Also, look for them in Harbinger Renegade beginning in issue 5 ;)
I take that to mean the series is ending, but the second arc extends past #8, so it's ending with issue 9 at the earliest. And good news that they will be showing up in H:R!

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

This is a shame. I enjoy anything FVL writes. In fact I think he is the best writer Valiant has. I wish more people agreed.

Keith

Post by Keith »

FormerReader wrote:This is a shame. I enjoy anything FVL writes. In fact I think he is the best writer Valiant has. I wish more people agreed.
I am right there with you. :thumb:

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

I just don't get VEI readers sometimes. How is it not enough of you are getting Gen Zero?
The excuse that it's "too long" past their Harbinger Wars debut is total crap. If anything it means the opportunity for more stories to be told is there, like what have they been doing since then plus whatever stories in the "now" you could tell.
Good book, great characters, solid art....flimsy fandom strikes again. This book is way better than Faith, and I enjoy that book but she is tirelessly repetitive at times in her personality.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Apologies for those who like Gen Zero but I'm glad the plug is getting pulled so it can make way for something better. IMO having this book alongside Faith and A&A is too many 'lite' books at once.

I'm not a big fan of FVL generally, didn't enjoy A&A or Timewalker, but I did enjoy his more 'serious' stuff in LOTG and War Mother. Maybe it's just 'goofy' books I dislike. :?

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

Except that A&A was already announced as cancelled at #12 last month so your reason has less foundation for being.

GammaJosh
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

I too am basically in love with everything FVL writes. This will also be a bummer if there is not enough material for a deluxe hardcover. Maybe double-dip and combine with Harbinger: Omegas to pad out an HC?

On the flip side, this is not super surprising to me, because no matter how well written, the Gen Zero characters are just not memorable in concept or even code-name. I'm basing that on my own experience, because having read all of Harbinger, Harbinger Wars, and Omegas, and with Gen Zero still in my "to read" pile...I honestly cannot tell you a single name or power set of any of those characters. I know there's a blond guy who's the leader, and there's some twins or something, and that's about it. Is Animalia in there? Maybe she is part of Gen Zero, in which case woot-woot, I remembered one character's code-name and her bonkers cartoon animal power. Can't remember a single other code-name. That's pretty solid evidence that a) I have early onset Alzheimers, or b) these are not memorable super-heroes.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

GammaJosh wrote: Can't remember a single other code-name. That's pretty solid evidence that a) I have early onset Alzheimers, or b) these are not memorable super-heroes.
The Incredible Hulk was cancelled after 6 issues...then given another chance a few years later.
Hopefully Gen Zero gets the chance to show they are and can be memorable given the right chance. I won't say creative team cause that's in place and what makes this sting a bit more.

GammaJosh
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

Captain Craig wrote:
GammaJosh wrote: Can't remember a single other code-name. That's pretty solid evidence that a) I have early onset Alzheimers, or b) these are not memorable super-heroes.
The Incredible Hulk was cancelled after 6 issues...then given another chance a few years later.
Hopefully Gen Zero gets the chance to show they are and can be memorable given the right chance. I won't say creative team cause that's in place and what makes this sting a bit more.
Good point. Not that these can't become interesting characters. I just wasn't interested enough to remember their names or power sets after reading several arcs in Harby, Harby Wars, and Omegas. As I said, Gen Zero is still in my "to read" pile, so maybe FVL was already on his way to better defining these characters. FVL is one of my favorite writers and I definitely would have been all-in on this title for the full run just based on FVL alone. But we have to be honest that these characters don't have the name recognition or draw of Archer & Armstrong, the main Harbinger cast, or even Timewalker. This was a little tougher sell for the casual reader and apparently the numbers didn't work out. Too bad.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I also haven't yet read Gen Zero, but I met FVL after #2 came out. He said Issue 3 and 4 were his favorite and where the story will really take off. That's the problem with these things, they need time in some cases.

Numbers do mean something though. Not sure what they are for Gen Zero, but some of the best Valiant books have very low print runs - Mirage is one of them. Amazing book.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

GammaJosh wrote:I too am basically in love with everything FVL writes. This will also be a bummer if there is not enough material for a deluxe hardcover. Maybe double-dip and combine with Harbinger: Omegas to pad out an HC?
Just an FYI, but Harbinger: Omegas 1-3 is already collected in the Harbinger Volume 2 Deluxe HC. I know because I snagged a cheap trade thinking I needed it, but I already had it. facepalm

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

I know that this is not a popular opinion, but I'm glad this will be over soon. I find this title completel uninteresting, not that is bad- I just could not care less about these characters. I don't like them, actually.
FVL is a very capable writer, I want to see more of his work in this universe, but not a teen team of superpowered kids.
He could do Shadowman. I really believe it would be awesome.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I love FVL's writing. His clever sense of humour, coupled with whip-smart ideas & references to really cool elements of pop culture & history intertwined in his work - he's great. A&A vol. 1 & Ivar are two modern Valiant classic runs, IMO.

I also love the Gen Zero characters. LOVE them. ALL of them. One of the best concepts Dysart has contributed to VEI amongst many great new ideas in his books. I was VERY excited for this series to launch - and even if Dysart wasn't going to be writing it, it still seemed like a perfect alignment of a new creative team with an excellent cast of characters. TONS of promise.

But for me personally, the book has fallen flat overall. A cherry picking of a small handful of the many gen zero kids with no regard or explanation for what happened to all the others in the interim (read that as a tenuous grasp on continuity at best) and the big idea to centre the plot and motivation of these damaged child soldiers around teens at a high school in a mysterious town.

The villains as we've seen revealed so far feel like something Grant Morrison would have concieved of, and that normally would be enough to appeal to my personal taste in fiction & comics. And there have been many little moments of fantastic dialogue & cool ideas throughout the 4 issues to date. But overall - it has felt like the whole package has delivered less than the sum of its parts should have equaled. I'm just not enjoying it that much at the end of the day.

To each his own, I don't judge anyone who feels different about it - there should have been an audience for it. This is only my personal feeling about the book.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

And I certainly hope they make other appearances at the very least, if not get a second crack at their own series eventually.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;