Secret Service/Kingsman and Kick-Ass

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA
Secret Service/Kingsman and Kick-Ass

Post by chriskay99 »

After successful movies for both of these properties, why aren't these books more valuable? I picked up a copy of Secret Service #1 in a 50-cent bin today. Both movies have positive reviews and were financially successful. I know Kick-*SQUEE* 2 was kind of a dud. There's a Kingsman sequel in the works. Is it something with Millar's work? Is it because they are mini-series? Just wondering.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Re: Secret Service/Kingsman and Kick-Ass

Post by Cyberstrike »

chriskay99 wrote:After successful movies for both of these properties, why aren't these books more valuable? I picked up a copy of Secret Service #1 in a 50-cent bin today. Both movies have positive reviews and were financially successful. I know Kick-*SQUEE* 2 was kind of a dud. There's a Kingsman sequel in the works. Is it something with Millar's work? Is it because they are mini-series? Just wondering.

Some of it, I think is it's Millar's nihilistic attitude in his work that many see as a complete and utter competent (maybe even bordering on pure hatred) for superheroes, fans of superheroes, and himself for writing a genre he clearly doesn't like and can't get away from and his attempts to escape form that genre don't succeed as well he wants. He's also made no secret that he just uses his creator-owned comics as little more than a testing ground so he can get movies, TV shows, video games and toy deals based on his characters so he can make a lot of money.

Some of his creator owned work like Wanted, Nemesis, and Kick-*SQUEE* have been said to have used a lot of racist and misogynistic tropes, jokes, cliches', undertones, or whatever you want to call it and he really doesn't defend himself very well when he's been called out on it and he doesn't seem to take just any criticism on his work very well.

Also a lot of his books are seriously late and that doesn't help.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Cyberstrike wrote:
chriskay99 wrote:After successful movies for both of these properties, why aren't these books more valuable? I picked up a copy of Secret Service #1 in a 50-cent bin today. Both movies have positive reviews and were financially successful. I know Kick-*SQUEE* 2 was kind of a dud. There's a Kingsman sequel in the works. Is it something with Millar's work? Is it because they are mini-series? Just wondering.

Some of it, I think is it's Millar's nihilistic attitude in his work that many see as a complete and utter competent (maybe even bordering on pure hatred) for superheroes, fans of superheroes, and himself for writing a genre he clearly doesn't like and can't get away from and his attempts to escape form that genre don't succeed as well he wants. He's also made no secret that he just uses his creator-owned comics as little more than a testing ground so he can get movies, TV shows, video games and toy deals based on his characters so he can make a lot of money.

Some of his creator owned work like Wanted, Nemesis, and Kick-*SQUEE* have been said to have used a lot of racist and misogynistic tropes, jokes, cliches', undertones, or whatever you want to call it and he really doesn't defend himself very well when he's been called out on it and he doesn't seem to take just any criticism on his work very well.

What would defending himself well would look like in your eyes?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

Not insulting people who don't like his work.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Cyberstrike wrote:
Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

What did he say to what accusation for example?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

It's kinda of funny that is the ONLY thing you seem to have a bug up your *SQUEE* about is about Mark Millar insulting people and who.
Fine I recall Millar insulted the late Roger Ebert for not liking one of his early films it was either Wanted or Kick-*SQUEE* 1.
Now why don't you use http://www.google.com to find out more and stop pestering me about it.

FTR I don't give a damn about who Millar *SQUEE* off or gets into twitter feuds with. If it's not me or people I consider friends I don't give a damn. As a writer he's vastly over-rated and wants to be in the top 5 UK writers of all time, and as far I'm concerned he's NEVER going to be in the same league with Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis, and Simon Furman. He's had two hits The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2 and other than having Nick Fury as Samuel L. Jackson the books are at best above in the same league with any 90s action sci-fi film, with Bryan Hitch's artwork being the real saving grace. Mark Millar is the comic book writer equivalent to a 90s radio shock jock and take away that and his constant "F*** You!" to superhero fans (you can go read the ending to Wanted if you want to know what I'm talking about) and he's got nothing.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Cyberstrike wrote:
Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

It's kinda of funny that is the ONLY thing you seem to have a bug up your *SQUEE* about is about Mark Millar insulting people and who.
Fine I recall Millar insulted the late Roger Ebert for not liking one of his early films it was either Wanted or Kick-*SQUEE* 1.
Now why don't you use http://www.google.com to find out more and stop pestering me about it.

FTR I don't give a damn about who Millar *SQUEE* off or gets into twitter feuds with. If it's not me or people I consider friends I don't give a damn. As a writer he's vastly over-rated and wants to be in the top 5 UK writers of all time, and as far I'm concerned he's NEVER going to be in the same league with Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis, and Simon Furman. He's had two hits The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2 and other than having Nick Fury as Samuel L. Jackson the books are at best above in the same league with any 90s action sci-fi film, with Bryan Hitch's artwork being the real saving grace. Mark Millar is the comic book writer equivalent to a 90s radio shock jock and take away that and his constant "F*** You!" to superhero fans (you can go read the ending to Wanted if you want to know what I'm talking about) and he's got nothing.
In an open society i don't give any bleeps about ism's in art. Don't like it you can easily read something else. I liked Red Son and it was hardly an FU to superheroes. I remember enjoying Starlight. Why are superhero fans so upset if he only gives you his FU in his books?

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

In an open society i don't give any bleeps about ism's in art. Don't like it you can easily read something else. I liked Red Son and it was hardly an FU to superheroes. I remember enjoying Starlight. Why are superhero fans so upset if he only gives you his FU in his books?
Because superhero fans are a sensitive lot.

Millar can be a bit on the bombastic side at times, but I don't really care. As for his comics work, some of it's great, some of it's average at best, while some of it's crap. In recent years he has been doing some of his better work. In particular, I've loved Jupiter's Legacy (As well as the prequel, Jupiter's Circle)....And Empress isn't bad.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Savant wrote:
Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Lady Oiorpata wrote: What would defending himself well would look like in your eyes?

Because superhero fans are a sensitive lot.
I am not asking you this as a conflict starter. Why?