new cases are garbage

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: new cases are garbage

Post by jmatt »

greg wrote:The newton rings problem can be seen with books like this one. Believe it or not, the edges of the paper are solid white without a speck of dirt or staining. All the discoloration is from the inner holder pressing against the outer holder.

Yeah, I would have an issue with that.

Intrepidxc
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

So I just checked the three gold books that I own, which are graded in the new CGC case.

Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #1 Gold - CGC 9.8
A few newton rings, but no waviness. I'm fine with this book.

Faith #1 Gold - CGC 9.8
A few newton rings, but no waviness. I'm fine with this book.

Adventures of Archer and Armstrong #1 Gold - CGC 9.8
No newton rings, but waviness starting to show on the bottom of this book. I'm concerned about the long term condition of this book. Do I send it back to CGC? Do I send it to CBCS? Is it still a 9.8 which is what I paid for?

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

My sense from reading the CGC boards is that CGC is taking back books with concerns about the new case. There are a few posters on there that seem to believe CGC has a handle on both the wavy and newton problems, but I am skeptical. They appear to have held up outgoing shipments recently, speculation is that it is for reholdering.

Intrepidxc
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

I didn't get that from the CGC thread. I think I'll contact CGC about the concern for my Adv of Archer and Armstrong Gold.

I wish CGC would make some kind of statement about the problem. I'm purposely holding off sending some books for grading. I may go to CBCS if it takes too much longer.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

It will be interesting to see how CGC responds to the problem. I personally pass on books in the updated case for now. I would buy a CBCS over a new CGC book without a second thought.

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

I thinking of submitting a very large order but with this issue coming about. I am going to wait until it is resolved.

michael
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: none
Favorite title: EW
Favorite writer: Kirkman
Favorite artist: none

Post by michael »

maraxusofkeld wrote:I thinking of submitting a very large order but with this issue coming about. I am going to wait until it is resolved.
smart move. CGC needs to fix this quick or they will soon be ousted as top dog.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

michael wrote:CGC needs to fix this quick or they will soon be ousted as top dog.
It will take a very, very long time for any company (CBCS or even CGC) to match the 3,000,000 slabs in CGC (pre-2016) holders. :D

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

I purchased my membership in January and sent my first batch of books at that time. I have another batch of books ready to send but I am hesitating because of the holder issue. I'm wondering if I will be able to contact CGC and ask for a 6 month extension on my membership because I didn't want to submit anything during the holder problem. :hope:
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

greatbrandino11 wrote:I purchased my membership in January and sent my first batch of books at that time. I have another batch of books ready to send but I am hesitating because of the holder issue. I'm wondering if I will be able to contact CGC and ask for a 6 month extension on my membership because I didn't want to submit anything during the holder problem. :hope:

I would if I was you. Its probably the easiest request to fix they have received during this issue. Good luck!
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

tevans333
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tevans333 »

nscc wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:I purchased my membership in January and sent my first batch of books at that time. I have another batch of books ready to send but I am hesitating because of the holder issue. I'm wondering if I will be able to contact CGC and ask for a 6 month extension on my membership because I didn't want to submit anything during the holder problem. :hope:

I would if I was you. Its probably the easiest request to fix they have received during this issue. Good luck!
Based on CGC's response to deleting the thread, they don't see this as a big issue. They are offering to re case for free if there is an issue, but everything is business as usual otherwise.

Here is their post on why they deleted the thread:

We made the decision to close the thread about the new CGC holder. While we welcome an open dialogue that includes constructive criticism, we will not allow people to use the CGC message boards to make posts that are misleading, malicious and untrue. After many people provided legitimate feedback, which we acknowledged and addressed, some continued to use this thread to post claims that were completely false. CGC Customer Service attempted to follow up on these claims and complaints only to find that the poster could not substantiate them. This has included numerous posts with images of fabricated holder damage and book damage, as well as claims about books supposedly holdered in Philadelphia with certification numbers that prove otherwise.

The vast majority of feedback that CGC has received about its new holder has been positive. As we stated previously, there were a few relatively minor issues with the new holder, particularly an issue that resulted in a slight wavy appearance. Immediately upon hearing this feedback, CGC conducted a thorough investigation, determined the causes and took corrective action. We reached out -- and continue to reach out -- to customers who we believe may have been affected and offer a solution.

We are not aware of a single book that was damaged as a result of any of these issues with the new holder. We realize, however, that these issues can be an inconvenience for those affected. If anyone thinks they have a holder that exhibits a slight wavy appearance, CGC would be happy to evaluate it and, if we agree with your assessment, reholder your book at no charge, as well as cover your shipping expenses. If we feel that reholdering is not warranted, we will still cover your shipping expenses. Any such returns will receive Fast Track service.

It is no surprise that a few minor issues would be found after a major update to CGC's holder. The overwhelming response has been positive, however, and this has resulted in record-breaking submissions for CGC at recent shows. At our recent Philadelphia on-site grading event, thousands of newly graded books were returned to customers without issue. Reholder submissions to move books from our old holder to our new holder continue to arrive at CGC in large numbers.

CGC will always stand by its product and services. We listen to our customers and if there is an issue, we will act quickly to address it. We have done that here and we will continue to do it as we build upon our position as the world's first, largest and most trusted third-party comic book grading service.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and support.

Thank you,
CGC

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

Just received lastest order. All three cases were openned on the bottom. I was able to blow inside the case and make the comic pages move. I would have rather been kicked in the nuts.
I read the post and saw the videos, but i still had hope.
What have they done.
My heart is broken.
I'm out.

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

Aport wrote:Just received lastest order. All three cases were openned on the bottom. I was able to blow inside the case and make the comic pages move. I would have rather been kicked in the nuts.
I read the post and saw the videos, but i still had hope.
What have they done.
My heart is broken.
I'm out.
Pics?
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Aport

Post by Aport »

Cgc has stated they will correct.
See pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aport

Post by Aport »

Again cgc said they will correct, but because you asked... Here is another pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aram

Post by Aram »

I definitely think they are overwhelmed at the moment. Probably having trouble getting all the new employees fully trained and capable.

Cgc seems quick to respond to all issues and I think they have been trying to assure that things are going out correctly thereby creating delays in QC. They probably can't supervise properly the many new employees. SO, I'm guessing at this point that many if not most of the problems are with New employees probably stressing out under the increased demand and not doing their jobs well enough.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Aram wrote:I definitely think they are overwhelmed at the moment. Probably having trouble getting all the new employees fully trained and capable.

Cgc seems quick to respond to all issues and I think they have been trying to assure that things are going out correctly thereby creating delays in QC. They probably can't supervise properly the many new employees. SO, I'm guessing at this point that many if not most of the problems are with New employees probably stressing out under the increased demand and not doing their jobs well enough.

every job can be stressful.no reason for this to happen much less twice to the same customer?
i thought PGX was the worst?

i will refrain from bidding on any new cgc cases. simply no reason for a case to not be sealed...no excuses for such blatant disregard for their job...this is worse than wavy comics IMO.

cant believe anybody would make excuses for them

Aram

Post by Aram »

corey wrote:
Aram wrote:I definitely think they are overwhelmed at the moment. Probably having trouble getting all the new employees fully trained and capable.

every job can be stressful.no reason for this to happen much less twice to the same customer?
i thought PGX was the worst?

i will refrain from bidding on any new cgc cases. simply no reason for a case to not be sealed...no excuses for such blatant disregard for their job...this is worse than wavy comics IMO.

cant believe anybody would make excuses for them
Oh I agree CGC has no excuses. Which is why they are happy to fix any issues that appear. PGX wouldn't do that. CBCS would and does. CGC clearly does as well by every single response I've heard so far and is paying out the nose for it I'm sure.

I'm not holding back on buying books in the new cases but I'm being careful and slowing it down extremely. Some people are freaking out about normal comic waviness that is natural, and that is ridiculous. Other examples clearly need to be fixed.

ckb

Post by ckb »

I think the design is flawed. Until they reveal what the "fix" was for the waviness, I would not submit. It has taken over a month for the waviness to present itself in some books.

Ditch's video is pretty concerning. The pressure on the book squeezes it into the middle.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Thanks for the knowledge drop ckb.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Aport

Post by Aport »

All three new cases are back at CGC. Customer service rep are amazing. Hope comics come back better.

:hope:

greatbrandino11
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

Any chance Greg takes a bribe from CGC and removes this thread from the boards?

:idontknow: :lol:
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I like money.

Aram

Post by Aram »

Aport wrote:All three new cases are back at CGC. Customer service rep are amazing. Hope comics come back better.

:hope:
Here's the thing, for all their problems currently and in the past..

Since I signed up with them In late March this year, They have provided me with World Class Customer Service and go out of the way to make things right. With that kind of service I'm assured that they will find and fix current and future issues as soon as they are able.

That is why I haven't lost faith in them. I'm still a little concerned about the new holders in the long run for items slabbed previously and currently, but I'm not worried.

What I really want is to hear from overstreet grading experts on their opinion of any shown waviness and how it affect the grades in their opinion.

Aport

Post by Aport »

:clap:
I just received my three cgcs that were sent back to cgc to be reslabbed. All were fixed and have the new inner well.
Customer service was amazing. They returned my shipping cost, and sent me an email when they were shipping them back.
The XO 25, which you know is a double sized comic because on Armorines O inside, moves slightly just like the old cases, which shows the comic is not under pressure. I even saw the micro fiber sheet behind the cover. So yes they are putting that sheet back in the slabs.
I really like the new cases with the inner well.
I know alot of people are unhappy with the whole ordeal and the way cgc handled it, but...holding these now, I'm happy. I will submitt to cgc again.

:cloud9: