Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #7 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #7 Discussion

Post by jmatt »

Issue felt like an old school Batman issue, where the villain has staged some glorious death trap for our hero. Read kinda quick though. Not bad overall.

However, that being said, how is it possible that Gilad has died lo, these many times, and Aram and Ivar have no idea about it, and just watch him lowered into his 'final' resting place? Surely they must be aware he resurrects, yes?

And Gilad is strong, sure, but he's ripping hardware the size of a minivan off a wall and hurling it around? Even snapping steel parts in half? That's Aram's gig.

I'm trying to remember if we've seen him display this kind of strength before (plummeting through skyscrapers without a scratch aside).

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Re: WotEW #7

Post by Keith »

If memory serves, Tama declared at the end of Book of Death that the Earth was going to let Gilad rest this time, so I think everyone is operating under the impression that he is REALLY dead. While I could buy it that Armstrong would assume he was dead, Timewalker Ivar is abut more of a stretch. Unless, up to that point in his time travels, Ivar had never encountered Gilad in the "future."

Though, the issue did say that Aram was upset, and Ivar was just plain angry. Maybe there is more happening there with Ivar than meets the eye.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Good issue. I like where the story is going. I think (I don't have my issues in front of me to check) that they returned to the artist that did issues 1-4? Some of the panel layouts were similar. If it is the same artist, they do much better drawing the modern day/high tech stuff than the afterlife/demonic stuff from the first arc. Or maybe it's a different artist, I'm not sure. Looking forward to the rest of this arc though, and I don't see any reason for this series to end at #10 like some are speculating. I'm sure we'll see issue 11 listed in next month's solicits.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Good issue. I like where the story is going. I think (I don't have my issues in front of me to check) that they returned to the artist that did issues 1-4? Some of the panel layouts were similar. If it is the same artist, they do much better drawing the modern day/high tech stuff than the afterlife/demonic stuff from the first arc. Or maybe it's a different artist, I'm not sure. Looking forward to the rest of this arc though, and I don't see any reason for this series to end at #10 like some are speculating. I'm sure we'll see issue 11 listed in next month's solicits.
I'm expecting it to last at least through #14.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #7 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue (& RAI #13, & XO Manowar Annual 2016), please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr65/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Man, I loved this issue. The creative team is firing on all cylinders this issue, and the writing has been top notch from V-Ditti the last three issues in a row now.

I absolutely love all the mannerisms of the Sovereign character. So much great character development, he/she/it feels like a truly fleshed out being. Evil, to be sure, but handled in a very believable manner with some real depth to it based on his seeming immortality and the experiences he has accrued - not just a two-bit moustache twirler.

As to the issue about the funeral - yeah, it's got a hole or two in it... I personally think everyone is operating under the impression that Tama was telling the truth in BOD & is trustworthy as the Geomancer. If she says Gilad isn't coming back, why not believe her? Even if Aram & Ivar have seen something like this before, I think Tama remains the key to it.

However, Ivar would probably know Gilad will be back at least - unless it's as stated by Keith above, and he hasn't encountered this moment in his personal past already at the time he was there. And while it makes sense to me that there would be guards at his grave (in case he does come back), them being killed wouldn't keep the secret that his body was abducted, only the location he was taken to. Sooner than later, someone will know those guards are dead and will be looking for Gilad - even if they think they're just looking for a body.

But that all might play out as part of the story arc yet to come, we're only reading from this Soveriegns perspective here.

I also thought Gilad seemed a bit too hulk-ish in strength when he was slamming and snapping large chunks of machinery. I didn't have the impression his immortality also gave him strength similar to Aram...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

grendeljd wrote:
I also thought Gilad seemed a bit too hulk-ish in strength when he was slamming and snapping large chunks of machinery. I didn't have the impression his immortality also gave him strength similar to Aram...
The scientists who were monitoring Gilad as he climbed through the labyrinth did mention his heightened metabolism so maybe Gilad is similar to Steve Rogers, where he has peak-level human strength. Plus, he was pretty *SQUEE* while trapped in that cell so maybe adrenaline kicked in, amping up that strength even more?

Terrific issue, great art, dialogue, action, the last page was quite chilling in it's implication.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

grendeljd wrote:Man, I loved this issue. The creative team is firing on all cylinders this issue, and the writing has been top notch from V-Ditti the last three issues in a row now.

I absolutely love all the mannerisms of the Sovereign character. So much great character development, he/she/it feels like a truly fleshed out being. Evil, to be sure, but handled in a very believable manner with some real depth to it based on his seeming immortality and the experiences he has accrued - not just a two-bit moustache twirler.

As to the issue about the funeral - yeah, it's got a hole or two in it... I personally think everyone is operating under the impression that Tama was telling the truth in BOD & is trustworthy as the Geomancer. If she says Gilad isn't coming back, why not believe her? Even if Aram & Ivar have seen something like this before, I think Tama remains the key to it.

However, Ivar would probably know Gilad will be back at least - unless it's as stated by Keith above, and he hasn't encountered this moment in his personal past already at the time he was there. And while it makes sense to me that there would be guards at his grave (in case he does come back), them being killed wouldn't keep the secret that his body was abducted, only the location he was taken to. Sooner than later, someone will know those guards are dead and will be looking for Gilad - even if they think they're just looking for a body.

But that all might play out as part of the story arc yet to come, we're only reading from this Soveriegns perspective here.

Yep, why bury him? And even if they did they would have to know his body is gone now.

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

why are they giving gilad a healing factor? such a dumb retcon

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Brapbrap wrote:why are they giving gilad a healing factor? such a dumb retcon
VH1 Gilad grew back an arm.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

BugsySig wrote:

For sure. All 3 eternal bros have a healing factor.

I thought it was suggested that they might be able to grow back a head? (maybe I'm misremembering.) Or was it that, a severed head would be the only thing that they could not grow back.

old = facepalm

Dallow Spicer1
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

hawkeyeps wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Man, I loved this issue. The creative team is firing on all cylinders this issue, and the writing has been top notch from V-Ditti the last three issues in a row now.

Yep, why bury him? And even if they did they would have to know his body is gone now.
+1 on Grendel! :P

Usually...usually...I'm 99.99999% in agreement with Chris... He calls out the nonsense goofy stuff (except Bloodshot annual, he let me down in that one :wink: ) but listening to this podcast I'm shouting in the car "Chris, it's the Tama explanation which is why they buried him, they thought the earth was finally letting him did in peace this time!!" :lol:

And maybe they do know his body is missing, I reckon this will be covered in subsequent issues.

That said, as previously mentioned Ivar sees Gilad in the future so that in itself is a plot hole, hope someone asks Dino about that, seems that Ivars inclusion will always have that issue on a story. I didn't pick up on that until reading this thread facepalm now it's diminished my enjoyment somewhat!

I thought this was a great issue complimented nicely by the art. Vditti seems to be enjoying himself on this book, some very interesting characters and intriguing story.

4/5 :thumb:

Ps Chris get yourself on Twitter mate!
PPs your English accent needs a little practice :wink:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:
That's the first example I thought of too.

He's regenerating wounds during the course of battle all the time. That's why his three facial scars stand out: It's the only being to be able to permanently scar him.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
That's the first example I thought of too.

He's regenerating wounds during the course of battle all the time. That's why his three facial scars stand out: It's the only being to be able to permanently scar him.
Unity 0 he grows his legs back. My only issue is when he repairs quickly, this is too Bloodshot-y and diminishes any threat.

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

I really dug it. Great setup with a classic evil schemer Bond type, a huge death trap, this is what funnybooks are about. And the implications to what is going to happen to Gilad during the course of this arc is chilling. Not even death is an escape for him. Might be my favorite issue of Eternal Warrior so far.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

That was pretty brutal at the end, even for Gilad. Not sure where this is going, the villain poses no physical threat, so when the jig is up, then what.
#StayValiant

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:

+1 on Grendel! :P

Usually...usually...I'm 99.99999% in agreement with Chris... He calls out the nonsense goofy stuff (except Bloodshot annual, he let me down in that one :wink: ) but listening to this podcast I'm shouting in the car "Chris, it's the Tama explanation which is why they buried him, they thought the earth was finally letting him did in peace this time!!" :lol:

And maybe they do know his body is missing, I reckon this will be covered in subsequent issues.

That said, as previously mentioned Ivar sees Gilad in the future so that in itself is a plot hole, hope someone asks Dino about that, seems that Ivars inclusion will always have that issue on a story. I didn't pick up on that until reading this thread facepalm now it's diminished my enjoyment somewhat!

I thought this was a great issue complimented nicely by the art. Vditti seems to be enjoying himself on this book, some very interesting characters and intriguing story.

4/5 :thumb:

Ps Chris get yourself on Twitter mate!
PPs your English accent needs a little practice :wink:
:high-five:

You're not likely to ever see Hawkeye land a Twitter account, good sir - don't hold your breath for it! :lol:

I tried really hard to get him to understand my point about Tama that episode, but he was hearing none of it!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

It occurred to me that nothing has actually been said about Tama in the 'Wrath Of' series so far. I think that once Gilad ressurects, she should be aware of it. And as they are tied so closely together I think the earth would speak to Tama & let her know where he is.

I hope this is addressed in the story, as that Gilad/Geomancer connection should be a major plot element to any of his stories. Another question this idea raises is; would this Soveriegn character be aware of Gilads connection to the Geomancer or not? I think it's likely he would be, but possibly something he would miss. If he is aware, and he is as meticulous as he appears to be, what will he do about Tama? :hm:

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Continuity wise, Gilad not being with Unity in Divinity II #2, makes sense now.
#StayValiant