The Market on Ultimate Fallout 4

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
The Market on Ultimate Fallout 4

Post by StarBrand »

Ultimate Fallout 4. The first appearance of Miles Morales. Some of you know how important I think this character is. See my thread titled "The Most Important Comic Book Character Since Wolverine" if you don't know what I think of him. Lol.
I've been watching the market on Ultimate Fallout 4 daily for some time, and am starting this thread to post observations I make on it. Of course, if others post sales info on Ultimate Fallout 4 here, or related books, or want to post their opinion on the book, good or bad, that would be more than welcome! :)

Full disclosure: I do have multiple slabbed copies of Ultimate Fallout 4. I bought them all around four to six months ago, and they've done very well since then. However, I believe the best is yet to come for this book, by far.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

StarBrand
Re: The Market on Ultimate Fallout 4

Post by StarBrand »

One indicator I've been following is the total amount of listings on eBay for a search of "ultimate fallout 4." Right now it's the lowest I've seen since I started tracking it at 114 listings. It was at 141 when I started tracking that indicator. I'm not sure if that's a key indicator, but it is an interesting one and is a singular tool in trying to surmise where the market is going on a book.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

The cheapest Ultimate Fallout 4 first print in CGC 9.8 is $235 right now. Next comes one at $300. The next cheapest after that is $400. This doesn't include SS books. Barring new copies being made available quickly, if the one at $235 sells soon it could move the price up to around the $300 mark when new copies are listed.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I don't know the cgc market.

Is that a good price, average or great?

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I bought a bunch when they were cheap ... still holding. I think Marvel has to manage the character better but there is potential here.

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

The book is seeing increases due to speculation of what the future may hold, such as this thread. I have not spoke with anyone outside of a message board that has heard of or cared about the 1st app of this character. Has anyone else?

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

It looks like the variant version is where all the action is.

12 month average on 9.8 regular: $165
12 month average on 9.8 variant: $534 with a 90 day of $670 (admittedly, only 2 sales with one at $840)

As for importance, I see this character being like a Wally West one day.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

maraxusofkeld wrote:The book is seeing increases due to speculation of what the future may hold, such as this thread. I have not spoke with anyone outside of a message board that has heard of or cared about the 1st app of this character. Has anyone else?
That's not true I have a few of these and it's asked about at the shows I set up at since i have it on my wall... People know but do they want to pay for it?

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Miles Morales is Spider-Man. To an always increasing number of people he is their Spider-Man. That's why this book is a super key.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

In any event, I started this thread so I'd have a place to document Ultimate Fallout 4 sales, particularly sales of slabs, at least for now. ComicKings has effectively provided a ceiling to the price of raw copies on eBay for months now, offering a supply at 17.99 each plus shipping. They keep a fairly low number available and increase the number available as sales are made, and sometimes their listing ends and they start a new listing at the same price. The effect of this is I've actually seen raw copies selling at a fair level below 17.99 recently.
I've obviously been remiss in listing any sale prices of this book so far. I've got some points to make about it, and hope to do so soon.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

maraxusofkeld wrote:The book is seeing increases due to speculation of what the future may hold, such as this thread. I have not spoke with anyone outside of a message board that has heard of or cared about the 1st app of this character. Has anyone else?
I couldn't agree more. I think it's a niche speculation book. It'll see a market boom when Marvel films brings Miles into the MCU films. It's cool though that a small group so enthusiastically wants to embrace this one, I suppose.
StarBrand wrote:Miles Morales is Spider-Man. To an always increasing number of people he is their Spider-Man. That's why this book is a super key.
I feel like Joe Quesada said this very thing in an interview somewhere. Is Peter Parker "the" Spider-Man for any new generation of readers?
Last edited by IMJ on Wed May 11, 2016 5:02:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

At shows around here (nor Cal) dealers have them priced $15-25 raw...

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Are a lot of individuals really buying single copies of Ultimate Fallout 4 raw copies in the $20 range due to speculation? More likely an awful lot of individuals want to own a single copy of that book for around $20 because they want to own a copy for their collection, I think.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

IMJ wrote:
I couldn't agree more. I think it's a niche speculation book. It'll see a market boom when Marvel films brings Miles into the MCU films. It's cool though that a small group so enthusiastically wants to embrace this one, I suppose.
StarBrand wrote:Miles Morales is Spider-Man. To an always increasing number of people he is their Spider-Man. That's why this book is a super key.
I feel like Joe Quesada said this very thing in an interview somewhere. Is Peter Parker "the" Spider-Man for any new generation of readers?
I know Bendis said this exact thing in an interview...

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

StarBrand wrote:
IMJ wrote:
I know Bendis said this exact thing in an interview...
Ya, now that you mention it, it may have been Bendis I'm remembering....

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Years ago I became fascinated with the cult-like following that Ben Reilly had. To some, he was their Spider-Man. And there were fans obsessed with him returning. So when Miles Morales became Spider-Man, I was sort of onto this thing from the beginning. When Bendis said that to some people Miles Morales is their Spider-Man, I knew what he was talking about, having observed that same phenomen to a lesser degree with Ben Reilly. The difference is Ben ain't coming back as Spider-Man, but Miles' following as Spider-Man will only grow. This is not someone else being Flash. It's someone else being Spider-Man. It's major stuff, I think.
Also, anyone see any comparison between the original Ultimate Spider-Man series from 2001, which was red hot, and the current Miles Morales series? Yes. The master of writing a modern Spider-Man relaunch, Brian Michael Bendis, scripted the original Ultimate Spider-Man series and he's scripting the current Miles Morales series. The new Miles Morales series will be classic imho, and Miles' following will grow because of it.

possumgrease
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

I used Wally West for my analogy because he was the Flash to me. And he was Flash for a long time, but you know who's Flash on the TV show (spoiler: Barry). For that reason, I think Peter will always be spiderman, but Myles has a place too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I sold an Ultimate Fallout 4 2nd print face variant in CGC 9.8 for $145 yesterday. I didn't really expect to sell it for what I was asking. I also had another potential buyer inquire if I'd ship to another country, so that was a potential buyer yesterday as well.
I wondered why the sudden interest on that book, and did some brief research on Ultimate Fallout 4 on eBay. I immediately noticed that only 100 listings came up for sale on an Ultimate Fallout 4 search. That's the lowest amount I've ever seen by about 10%. I then checked completed items. Three CGC 9.8 first print copies have sold in the last 48 hours. That's a significant % of the total available on eBay of that book. So, I decided to Google Miles Morales. There's a rumor that just broke he's going to be Spider-Man in the new Sony animated movie.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Two more first print 9.8 copies of this book sold in the last 24 hours. Also a 9.8 copy of the 1:25 variant sold in the last couple hours. I don't have the sale price on that yet. Asking price was $1,000 OBO.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Just about all of my UF 4s are still in the polybags ... should I be taking those out in case I can grade them?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

depluto wrote:Just about all of my UF 4s are still in the polybags ... should I be taking those out in case I can grade them?
Maybe not yet. I've pulled three out of the poly bags myself and I got a 9.6 and two 9.4s. I used powder free medical gloves like I always do when handling books, and still didn't get a 9.8. I think the black cover border makes that book a bit tough in 9.8. Some copies might be less than 9.4.
9.4s are around $50 and 9.6s are closing in on $100. 9.8s are HRs. The number of slabbed copies on Ebay is really drying up. There are only four Ultimate Fallout 4 first prints in CGC 9.8 for sale, and with five copies having sold in the last three of four days and at least one other copy ending perhaps because of an off eBay sale, it wouldn't take much to really push the price of 9.8s up. I'm watching every single slabbed copy in every grade, so as soon as one sells I know about it.
I wonder if they deteriorate in the bags over time faster than they would otherwise...
Last edited by StarBrand on Mon May 30, 2016 7:38:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

BTW I sold three of these at the last show I did last weekend $20 each. I'm pretty sure I was the only dealer that had them at my booth. I usually get a few asking about it and NOT buying. This time it was asking and buying everytime...

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Do you mean that happened this Memorial Day weekend?

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

StarBrand wrote:Do you mean that happened this Memorial Day weekend?
No that was last Sunday alone

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

betterthanezra wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Do you mean that happened this Memorial Day weekend?
No that was last Sunday alone

-Brian
Wow.