ROM at IDW Discussion Thread

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Re: ROM and Micronauts Returning...Creative Teams Announced!

Post by Keith »

grendeljd wrote:Wait, that's issue 4 of Micronauts - for July... So is Micronauts starting this month? Is it out yet?
Think it's next week, 4/27.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Keith wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Wait, that's issue 4 of Micronauts - for July... So is Micronauts starting this month? Is it out yet?
Awesome, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I have never read any of the original comics, but so many people seemed to love them back in the day, I'm curious to check them out.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

grendeljd wrote:
Keith wrote:
Awesome, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I have never read any of the original comics, but so many people seemed to love them back in the day, I'm curious to check them out.
I read The Micronauts published by DDP it wasn't great, but not awful either. Just a dumb fun sci-fi/action/fantasy series.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Read Micronauts #1. Off to a decent start.

Bunn introduces a new mix of characters along with some classic favorites such as Acroyear, Microtron, and Biotron. Karza looks as imposing as ever. While we get some bare details of the conflict brewing now, the interaction between the team was fun. The art was pretty solid too.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Here are the all of the July IDW comics with a ROM variant cover:
The Transformers #55 cover by Casey W. Coller
The Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #55 cover by Brendan Cahill
The Transformers: Till Are One #2 cover by Sara Pitre-Durocher
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #44 cover by Andy Price
My Little Pony: Friendship Forever #30 cover by Agnes Garbowaska
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #230 cover by Robert Atkins
Action Man #2 cover by John Royle
Micronauts #4 cover by David Williams
Jem and the Holograms #17 cover by Andrew Griffith
Star Trek #59 cover by Drew Moss
Back to the Future #10 cover by Alex Sanchez
Judge Dredd #8 cover by John McCrea
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

String

Post by String »

Micronauts #2 was released last week.

Another fun issue. I'm liking the dynamics of this new team and I like how Bunn is using their motivations and reactions to reveal more of this new galactic civil war instead of using a massive info dump exposition.

The art is near-perfect for this type of book, the action looked great. My history of Micronauts is spotty at best so to my knowledge, Bunn introduces a new character at the end who is apparently Karza's opposite in this war.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

String wrote:Micronauts #2 was released last week.

Another fun issue. I'm liking the dynamics of this new team and I like how Bunn is using their motivations and reactions to reveal more of this new galactic civil war instead of using a massive info dump exposition.

The art is near-perfect for this type of book, the action looked great. My history of Micronauts is spotty at best so to my knowledge, Bunn introduces a new character at the end who is apparently Karza's opposite in this war.
Two issues in, I'm not overly feeling this Micronauts title. I don't have any prior bias as I've never read the original material either...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Did anyone read the FCBD ROM #0 issue yet?

I thought it was a decent if slightly underwhelming re-introduction. I do like the new design look for ROM mostly. Just thought the wrist analyzers seemed a little bit of an awkward design choice, even though they look cool visually. We get to see a Dire Wraith and it's definitely different that the marvel look - some cool conceptual ideas built into them so far. And they were anticipating ROM's arrival!

Hoping the main series picks up the ball and runs with it from here.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

Well you know I picked it up. Felt the same as you. I guess my expectation were just a bit too high. I am still excited for the main series. I felt the art wasn't as crisp as I'd have liked it to be.Specifically his weaponry, as you also mentioned. I just kept looking at those panels trying to figure out what exactly I was supposed to be seeing.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Jace wrote:Well you know I picked it up. Felt the same as you. I guess my expectation were just a bit too high. I am still excited for the main series. I felt the art wasn't as crisp as I'd have liked it to be.Specifically his weaponry, as you also mentioned. I just kept looking at those panels trying to figure out what exactly I was supposed to be seeing.
Yeah, there were far too many super-tiny panels that didn't really add anything to the story flow because they were a little illegible. I did like the new look of his neutralizer, did you?

And as an addendum to my thoughts on the Dire Wraith - while I liked the idea of it using human blood to power its own magic, and the look of those 'blood wings' it sprouted, I didn't care for the featureless head with a giant mouth full of dull teeth. Seemed kinda hammy, and the lack of a face really harms it's intimidation and/or creepiness factor. I certainly wasn't expecting to see anything too similar to the Marvel wraith look, and yet this didn't quite hit the mark either.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Jace »

grendeljd wrote:
Jace wrote:Well you know I picked it up. Felt the same as you. I guess my expectation were just a bit too high. I am still excited for the main series. I felt the art wasn't as crisp as I'd have liked it to be.Specifically his weaponry, as you also mentioned. I just kept looking at those panels trying to figure out what exactly I was supposed to be seeing.
Yeah, there were far too many super-tiny panels that didn't really add anything to the story flow because they were a little illegible. I did like the new look of his neutralizer, did you?

And as an addendum to my thoughts on the Dire Wraith - while I liked the idea of it using human blood to power its own magic, and the look of those 'blood wings' it sprouted, I didn't care for the featureless head with a giant mouth full of dull teeth. Seemed kinda hammy, and the lack of a face really harms it's intimidation and/or creepiness factor. I certainly wasn't expecting to see anything too similar to the Marvel wraith look, and yet this didn't quite hit the mark either.

Agree again. Featureless face didn't really do it for me. But if they keep the shape changer aspect maybe we will get different looks. Blood wings were cool as was the idea of using human blood. Reminded me of the story in #53

ImageRom54 by The Comic Source

I also really liked the fact his weapons are part of the armor, that just makes sense. Much more Iron Man like and no more cliched plot points about Rom being separated from his weapon, thus being helpless.

whovian
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter

Post by whovian »

After reading some reviews of the first issue of Micronauts I set my expectations very low. After reading, I'd say it's just okay. I simply don't see how that particular franchise can ever be great again without Bug, Marionette and the true Acroyear.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

IDW and Hasbro will be merging several of their comics into one universe it includes: The Transformers, The Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye, The Transformers: Till All One, Rom, The Micronauts, Action Man, M.A.S.K., and G.I. Joe does sound like a bad idea to anyone else?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

whovian
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter

Post by whovian »

Figured the Hasbro crossover was inevitable -- just didn't expect it so soon. This has killed Micronauts and ROM for me.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Jace »

whovian wrote:Figured the Hasbro crossover was inevitable -- just didn't expect it so soon. This has killed Micronauts and ROM for me.
Why has this killed those two titles for you? It is not like they will be in each others books every month. It's just a way to make it apparent that these properties exist in the same universe. Mostly a way for readers who really like one or another of the properties to learn a bit about the others. I recently interviewed Chris Ryall for my podcast and we touched on this briefly. I plan on getting more details about the crossover when I sit down with the entire Rom creative team at SDCC. Meanwhile, if you want to hear the interview I'll put the link below. It was a lot of fun and I can't wait for issue #1

http://thecomicsourceblog.com/episode-116/

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Jace wrote:
whovian wrote:Figured the Hasbro crossover was inevitable -- just didn't expect it so soon. This has killed Micronauts and ROM for me.
Why has this killed those two titles for you? It is not like they will be in each others books every month. It's just a way to make it apparent that these properties exist in the same universe. Mostly a way for readers who really like one or another of the properties to learn a bit about the others. I recently interviewed Chris Ryall for my podcast and we touched on this briefly. I plan on getting more details about the crossover when I sit down with the entire Rom creative team at SDCC. Meanwhile, if you want to hear the interview I'll put the link below. It was a lot of fun and I can't wait for issue #1

You got to interview Chris? That's awesome, Jace - I'll be listening to this episode ASAP! :thumb: :thumb:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote:
Jace wrote:

You got to interview Chris? That's awesome, Jace - I'll be listening to this episode ASAP! :thumb: :thumb:
Aaaaaaand just finished listening. Great episode, Jace - you conducted a great interview! :clap: Loved hearing that old extended commercial narration, the ideas contained in that are a great starting point for the new iteration, free & clear of the marvel background.

Glad to get a chance to hear Chris' massive enthusiasm for the book come out in his conversation with you. That zero issue was enjoyable, but I was at least mildly concerned about the regular series based off of it. Sounds like there's going to be some great elements to come though, I'm excited again for #1.

Very cool to hear that we haven't seen a true Dire Wraith yet, and may not until a couple issues into the series. I liked all the ideas he mentioned about how the IDW 'wraith invasion' is going to be different.

Also funny to hear his reaction to fan reaction with regards to the mitten hand design change. Seriously, that's the first thing that needed to go, classic look or not!! "You killed my childhood" :lol:

I'm very interested in finding out what they have in mind for the Solstar Order in the new background. I'll be honest, one thing I will miss is the original space knight characters that Bill created. I can completely understand Chris' perspective of not wanting to have to trundle out a fan parade of his versions of something already done so well by Mantlo, and thus feeling a kind of freedom to write on a blank canvas all over again - but I hope to see some other members of the Order that can stack up to characters like Starshine, Terminator, Raak, Seeker etc.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Jace »

grendeljd wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Jace wrote:

Aaaaaaand just finished listening. Great episode, Jace - you conducted a great interview! :clap: Loved hearing that old extended commercial narration, the ideas contained in that are a great starting point for the new iteration, free & clear of the marvel background.

Glad to get a chance to hear Chris' massive enthusiasm for the book come out in his conversation with you. That zero issue was enjoyable, but I was at least mildly concerned about the regular series based off of it. Sounds like there's going to be some great elements to come though, I'm excited again for #1.

Very cool to hear that we haven't seen a true Dire Wraith yet, and may not until a couple issues into the series. I liked all the ideas he mentioned about how the IDW 'wraith invasion' is going to be different.

Also funny to hear his reaction to fan reaction with regards to the mitten hand design change. Seriously, that's the first thing that needed to go, classic look or not!! "You killed my childhood" :lol:

I'm very interested in finding out what they have in mind for the Solstar Order in the new background. I'll be honest, one thing I will miss is the original space knight characters that Bill created. I can completely understand Chris' perspective of not wanting to have to trundle out a fan parade of his versions of something already done so well by Mantlo, and thus feeling a kind of freedom to write on a blank canvas all over again - but I hope to see some other members of the Order that can stack up to characters like Starshine, Terminator, Raak, Seeker etc.
I agree with you 100% Josh. Well first let me thank you for the kind words. I pride myself on doing quality interviews and asking well thought out questions, not the same old tired things comic creators are asked about 100 times. As far as not beig able to sue some of the old spaceknights. Yeah that does kind of stink. I remember that Annual #2 being a big favorite of mine because is had all the new spaceknights with cool powers. I read that thing till the cover fell off. So much like you I hope we get some worthy successors.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Jace wrote:

There are some Transformers fans that aren't happy about it, some of it of being that they are NOT interested in ROM, Micronauts, G.I. Joe, Action Man, and the others at all. Some of it being that a lot of the PR for this event makes it sounds like a lot of if not all of this shared universe is being created from IDW's Transformers Universe which when you have major events like Megatron and the Decepticons nearly destroying the human race in The Transformers: All Hail Megatron a 16 issue maxi-series, I mean where was G.I. Joe, Cobra, and Action Man at during when the Decepticons nearly wiped out every human or the current storyline called All Hail Optimus with Prime annexing Earth to be part of an Intergalactic Council with Cybertron and their 12 colonies (regardless if the human race wants it or not)? That is actually just plain stupid, and is also kind of insulting to fans of the Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Action Man franchises. In the case of the Transformers and G.I. Joe while there are fans of both but there are also fans who don't like one or the other and they have no interest in the other franchises. There is also some people who are sick of never-ending crossovers which serve nothing other than a short sales bump.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Jace wrote:

There are some Transformers fans that aren't happy about it, some of it of being that they are NOT interested in ROM, Micronauts, G.I. Joe, Action Man, and the others at all. Some of it being that a lot of the PR for this event makes it sounds like a lot of if not all of this shared universe is being created from IDW's Transformers Universe which when you have major events like Megatron and the Decepticons nearly destroying the human race in The Transformers: All Hail Megatron a 16 issue maxi-series, I mean where was G.I. Joe, Cobra, and Action Man at during when the Decepticons nearly wiped out every human or the current storyline called All Hail Optimus with Prime annexing Earth to be part of an Intergalactic Council with Cybertron and their 12 colonies (regardless if the human race wants it or not)? That is actually just plain stupid, and is also kind of insulting to fans of the Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Action Man franchises. In the case of the Transformers and G.I. Joe while there are fans of both but there are also fans who don't like one or the other and they have no interest in the other franchises. There is also some people who are sick of never-ending crossovers which serve nothing other than a short sales bump.
I'm not a big fan of this crossover toy universe idea either, but as long as I can enjoy the ROM book independently I don't care if they feel the need to do it. I suspect that IDW's hands may be tied somewhat by having to maintain the liscencing rights to all these properties. Hasbro seems keen to develope a tied cinematic universe for all their toy properties, and that's probably where they're more likely to make their money. IDW is probably required to follow suit with their Hasbro books in order to keep the liscense's.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

grendeljd wrote:I'm not a big fan of this crossover toy universe idea either, but as long as I can enjoy the ROM book independently I don't care if they feel the need to do it. I suspect that IDW's hands may be tied somewhat by having to maintain the liscencing rights to all these properties. Hasbro seems keen to develope a tied cinematic universe for all their toy properties, and that's probably where they're more likely to make their money. IDW is probably required to follow suit with their Hasbro books in order to keep the liscense's.

I've posted this idea on several TF fansites:

I think the better option would be to use the Revolution event to create an all-new, all-different universe and keep the current Transformers titles and G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero books as a separate universes. You can make The Revolution Universe (or whatever they're going to call it) a more all-ages books that can targeted for younger, new, casual, readers who don't know all the lore of this franchises and may not want to have to figure out all of the mess-up continuity that this event is currently set in and looks to be spinning off from, and all the while the other TF books (The Transformers, MTMTE, and TAO) more like Vertigo-like line for older readers who want more than just robots beating the crap out of each other (or vice versa) this would also allow more room for other IPs that Hasbro might want to bring back like and/or tossed into the mix like Visionaries, M.A.S.K., Inhumanoids, Robotix, Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons & Dragons, Battle Beasts, MLP, Jem & The Holograms, or The Go-Bots and I can see a lot of fun to be had if this was the way that Hasbro and/or IDW did it.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

This is the big week - ROM #1 is due out on Wednesday! I don't chase variant covers for anything non-Valiant, but I am actually tempted to seek out the Sal Buscema 1:25 ratio cover...

A friend of mine was at SDCC and asked if I wanted a copy of another variant IDW had for sale at the con, but I passed. It was a nice cover but it was $25 for the "regular" & $50 for the "Foil". Did anyone here see or get it? Looking at you, Jace!!

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Jace »

grendeljd wrote:This is the big week - ROM #1 is due out on Wednesday! I don't chase variant covers for anything non-Valiant, but I am actually tempted to seek out the Sal Buscema 1:25 ratio cover...

A friend of mine was at SDCC and asked if I wanted a copy of another variant IDW had for sale at the con, but I passed. It was a nice cover but it was $25 for the "regular" & $50 for the "Foil". Did anyone here see or get it? Looking at you, Jace!!
I did see it, it was $25 for the cover that had the title in silver foil, print run of 1000. It was $50 for the cover that had the title and Rom himself in silver foil, print run of 500. I bought that one. It just looked so good plus was so limited. Then I got the creative team to sign it. I also bought the IDW Convention cover that is awesome as well.

Image0726160738a by The Comic Source

Image0726160739 by The Comic Source

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

^That's awesome, Jace! I had a feeling you'd go for one of those. I didn't know *both* versions of the variant in your top picture had some foil!

I found a copy of the Sal Buscema variant for $12 and it was worth every penny. Love that cover. Also got a regular & a blank sketch cover.