The Bat-Thread

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: THE BAT-THREAD

Post by ShadowTuga »

Holy crazy Batman #50!!!
Love the Rebirth suit. But this arc was as far from a traditional Batman story as it could be. Really crazy stuff. Bat-commandos-vs- giant-flower-man level of crazy.

Fun, but I can't wait for real Bat-tales. Will really miss Capullo's art.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

mkb28 wrote:Just finished reading the "End Game" HC storyline. When is enough killing, enough? How many thousands of people has the Joker killed and no one has snapped yet and broke his puny little neck. :? I guess I can understand why Batman won't do it, but Commissioner Gordon? The Joker broke into his house, caught it on fire and was brandishing an axe. At what point do you start using "deadly force" if you are a police officer? Finally, he took the shot, but of course that didn't put him down for good.

Maybe I just need a break from Joker stories for awhile, but I would have pumped two in his chest and one in his head. Tap, Tap...Tap! :thumb:

Mkb28
I saw a documentary about the history of superhero comics last year (I forget the name of it now), and during a segment about the initial formation of Image, Todd McFarlane* specifically mentioned that he allowed Spawn be a vigilante because it seemed totally irresponsible for Batman to allow the Joker to commit mass murder over and over again.

*Edited after reading Michael's reply and realizing my spelling error (due to grey matter degeneration).
Last edited by Tony_H on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:42:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Tony_H wrote:
mkb28 wrote:Just finished reading the "End Game" HC storyline. When is enough killing, enough? How many thousands of people has the Joker killed and no one has snapped yet and broke his puny little neck. :? I guess I can understand why Batman won't do it, but Commissioner Gordon? The Joker broke into his house, caught it on fire and was brandishing an axe. At what point do you start using "deadly force" if you are a police officer? Finally, he took the shot, but of course that didn't put him down for good.

Maybe I just need a break from Joker stories for awhile, but I would have pumped two in his chest and one in his head. Tap, Tap...Tap! :thumb:

Mkb28
I saw a documentary about the history of superhero comics last year (I forget the name of it now), and during a segment about the initial formation of Image, Todd McFarland specifically mentioned that he allowed Spawn be a vigilante because it seemed totally irresponsible for Batman to allow the Joker to commit mass murder over and over again.
Interesting, Tony. Thanks for sharing! Maybe it is just one too many Joker stories for me, but I would have snapped a long time ago.

mkb28

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

mkb28 wrote:
Tony_H wrote:

Mkb28
I saw a documentary about the history of superhero comics last year (I forget the name of it now), and during a segment about the initial formation of Image, Todd McFarland specifically mentioned that he allowed Spawn be a vigilante because it seemed totally irresponsible for Batman to allow the Joker to commit mass murder over and over again.
Interesting, Tony. Thanks for sharing! Maybe it is just one too many Joker stories for me, but I would have snapped a long time ago.

mkb28

:thumb: No hostages for you, Funnyman.

On a lighter note :D - found this lil' thing today at my LCS. Printed in Italy, don't know if it will make to the US. It's a mini encyclopedia-type of all things Batman, but mostly comics (joker not included)
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

I'm not really into the yellow highlights on the new suit, but I'm glad Bruce is back, better than ever apparently. I do enjoy when other characters don the mantle of the Bat, but to me Gordon never felt like a true fit. It was an interesting run though.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

So, "The Last Crusade" is apparently coming out next week. Geezez, this was a true example of pushing the boundaries of my patience. This *SQUEE* was announced for February, then April, May before this final ( :hope: ) release date- makes you apreciate the work of Mr. Fred Pierce over at VEI even more: no late books.

Miller and Romita Jr. interview (I love the visuals):
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/07/ ... st-crusade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of my current Bat-reads, I just finished Batman/TMNT a few days ago: good fun, got to give credit to Tynion for making this a bit more than "meh, it's stupid but..." I really liked it. All of the characters were well portrayed (the turtles are vulnerable to Batfanaticism as much as the next person :D ), but if I had to go with my fav during this micro it would be Michelangelo. Lol stuff for a long time TMNT fan. Pony Racers!!!!! :lol:
I'd suggest this story to anyone who likes Batman and the Turtles. It's fun.

Have yet to read Rebirth #1, since my books only arrive at the end of the month, but until then I'm currently (finally!) catching up with 'Tec and Bat-Gordon. Entertaining stuff, but I can't wait for the Rebirthed Batman to star in his book. I predict an excellent run by Tom King- already interested by the premise of the first arc.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Double post. Ouch. :thumb:

Finally read the Rebirth books (Batman and 'Tec).
First, out of the way: "Batman: Rebirth" does a terrible job in re-introducing Duke. I honestly believe that new readers are like "who's the black kid in the Yellow suit"? What's his role after all? Counting stuff? :? I was not a fan of the We Are Robin gang, and I don't think that Duke brings anything new to the table. I guess I'm screwed because it seems he's here to stay, at least for King's run.
I liked the new version of Julian Day, though, that's some creepy stuff.

The "Batman #1" issue had nothing to do with it's Rebirth brother. Here we are introduced to the newest pair of SUPERPOWERED vigilantes of Gotham: Gotham and Gotham Girl. Their intro? Save Batman's life. I really liked this, much better than the Rebirth one-shot. Can't wait to find out who these 2 really are (my uneducated guess? Kryptonians!!!).

Then, Detective Comics. Cyberstrike, if you are reading this you might be interested to know that Batwoman is "da man" in this book. James Tynion IV surprised me in the best of ways. Loved these 2 issues, everyone in the roster is awesome (and i'm including Clayface who has the LOL line of the month "How the hell am I supposed to do that?!" :lol: ) and- IN CHARACTER. Tim, Cassie, Steph and Kate is an outstanding team. Add the oddball that is Clayface and we have a freaking fun book. I loved it, again. This is THE Bat-Family book.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

ShadowTuga wrote:Double post. Ouch. :thumb:

Finally read the Rebirth books (Batman and 'Tec).
First, out of the way: "Batman: Rebirth" does a terrible job in re-introducing Duke. I honestly believe that new readers are like "who's the black kid in the Yellow suit"? What's his role after all? Counting stuff? :? I was not a fan of the We Are Robin gang, and I don't think that Duke brings anything new to the table. I guess I'm screwed because it seems he's here to stay, at least for King's run.
I liked the new version of Julian Day, though, that's some creepy stuff.

The "Batman #1" issue had nothing to do with it's Rebirth brother. Here we are introduced to the newest pair of SUPERPOWERED vigilantes of Gotham: Gotham and Gotham Girl. Their intro? Save Batman's life. I really liked this, much better than the Rebirth one-shot. Can't wait to find out who these 2 really are (my uneducated guess? Kryptonians!!!).

Then, Detective Comics. Cyberstrike, if you are reading this you might be interested to know that Batwoman is "da man" in this book. James Tynion IV surprised me in the best of ways. Loved these 2 issues, everyone in the roster is awesome (and i'm including Clayface who has the LOL line of the month "How the hell am I supposed to do that?!" :lol: ) and- IN CHARACTER. Tim, Cassie, Steph and Kate is an outstanding team. Add the oddball that is Clayface and we have a freaking fun book. I loved it, again. This is THE Bat-Family book.
I got them on hold at LCS (along with Paul Dini's Dark Night graphic novel). I could only could get roughly about half of my comics so I bought Wonder Woman: Rebirth, Harley Quinn, and Wonder Woman over Detective Comics. Some of it, I'm not really into superhero team books at the moment and it isn't helped that the last arc of Batwoman was about her teaming up with a bunch of c-listers (including Clayface and the Demon) and the whole second half of that the series was awful, and the way this new arc for Detective Comics as been promoted and presented IMHO feels way to much like that run. I still intend to at least try out the first arc but I feel I might have to buy the arcs in TPB. I think this Batwoman works better as a solo character and not as a team leader and/or player.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

I just read Dark Night: A True Batman Story graphic novel. A good read. The art work is epic. The story is about Paul Dini who gets mugged and beaten up one night when he was a writer on Batman: The Animated Series and the story takes place around the time when Batman: The Mask of Phantasm was gearing up and Dini was asked to write the scenes with the Joker. After the attack Dini becomes disillusioned and various villains and Batman talk to him about his personal demons and issues. The story's biggest weaknesses if you read this and have a limited knowledge of Warner Bros Animation in 90s a lot of this story will be confusing although Dini supplies some basic info but a lot of details are left vague. Most of the story feels like it's really about his problems with the women he was dating at the time than about his recover from a vicious beating. The story does work overall and feels like it's showing Paul Dini's dark side and he doesn't shy away from showing the more unpleasant aspects of his nature. I will say that I love Dini's pitch for an episode of Batman: The Animated Series that is turned down but I would love to see as an animated short, plus Paul Dini gets to write some new Harley Quinn lines and that is always a good thing. Reading this book it's very easy to hear Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, Tara Strong, and Arleen Sorken as Batman, The Joker, Batgirl, and Harley Quinn respectfully, this might make a great live-action/animated movie if it's done right.

The story is uplifting but not in the way your expect, it's not Batman, his allies, or villains that helps Dini get over his depression it's a clerk at a record store that tells him how much Tiny Toon Adventures had mattered to him and his wife who was battling cancer. It's a simple act of kindness from a stranger that helps pull Dini out of his depression and gets him to go back to work.

The artwork is top notch. I feel that we should give Risso the Eisner, Harvey, and Eagle for best artist of an original graphic novel in 2016 because I don't see anyone else topping this. Still it's a damn good read that is hard to put to down, if and/or once you can get on it's wavelength, with some great artwork. I highly recommend it.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Cyberstrike wrote:I just read Dark Night: A True Batman Story graphic novel. A good read. The art work is epic. The story is about Paul Dini who gets mugged and beaten up one night when he was a writer on Batman: The Animated Series and the story takes place around the time when Batman: The Mask of Phantasm was gearing up and Dini was asked to write the scenes with the Joker. After the attack Dini becomes disillusioned and various villains and Batman talk to him about his personal demons and issues. The story's biggest weaknesses if you read this and have a limited knowledge of Warner Bros Animation in 90s a lot of this story will be confusing although Dini supplies some basic info but a lot of details are left vague. Most of the story feels like it's really about his problems with the women he was dating at the time than about his recover from a vicious beating. The story does work overall and feels like it's showing Paul Dini's dark side and he doesn't shy away from showing the more unpleasant aspects of his nature. I will say that I love Dini's pitch for an episode of Batman: The Animated Series that is turned down but I would love to see as an animated short, plus Paul Dini gets to write some new Harley Quinn lines and that is always a good thing. Reading this book it's very easy to hear Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, Tara Strong, and Arleen Sorken as Batman, The Joker, Batgirl, and Harley Quinn respectfully, this might make a great live-action/animated movie if it's done right.

The story is uplifting but not in the way your expect, it's not Batman, his allies, or villains that helps Dini get over his depression it's a clerk at a record store that tells him how much Tiny Toon Adventures had mattered to him and his wife who was battling cancer. It's a simple act of kindness from a stranger that helps pull Dini out of his depression and gets him to go back to work.

The artwork is top notch. I feel that we should give Risso the Eisner, Harvey, and Eagle for best artist of an original graphic novel in 2016 because I don't see anyone else topping this. Still it's a damn good read that is hard to put to down, if and/or once you can get on it's wavelength, with some great artwork. I highly recommend it.
I have my copy ordered and it will arrive in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to read it- and Thanks for the review! :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

Cyberstrike wrote:I just read Dark Night: A True Batman Story graphic novel. A good read. The art work is epic. The story is about Paul Dini who gets mugged and beaten up one night when he was a writer on Batman: The Animated Series and the story takes place around the time when Batman: The Mask of Phantasm was gearing up and Dini was asked to write the scenes with the Joker. After the attack Dini becomes disillusioned and various villains and Batman talk to him about his personal demons and issues. The story's biggest weaknesses if you read this and have a limited knowledge of Warner Bros Animation in 90s a lot of this story will be confusing although Dini supplies some basic info but a lot of details are left vague. Most of the story feels like it's really about his problems with the women he was dating at the time than about his recover from a vicious beating. The story does work overall and feels like it's showing Paul Dini's dark side and he doesn't shy away from showing the more unpleasant aspects of his nature. I will say that I love Dini's pitch for an episode of Batman: The Animated Series that is turned down but I would love to see as an animated short, plus Paul Dini gets to write some new Harley Quinn lines and that is always a good thing. Reading this book it's very easy to hear Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, Tara Strong, and Arleen Sorken as Batman, The Joker, Batgirl, and Harley Quinn respectfully, this might make a great live-action/animated movie if it's done right.

I was a huge fan of Batman the Animated Series and consider it the best adaption of the character ever. You just sold me on reading that book man. :)

Tony_H
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Dudes: if you haven't already done so, get the "Batman By Neal Adams Omnibus" ASAP. My wife doesn't like a lotta comics, but this book she asked to borrow. 'Nuff said.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Tony_H wrote:Dudes: if you haven't already done so, get the "Batman By Neal Adams Omnibus" ASAP. My wife doesn't like a lotta comics, but this book she asked to borrow. 'Nuff said.
That's a great read, Tony. I have two of the trades- but one beef I have with these new editions (and my GL/GA book is the same) is the coloring. I liked the OLD. The new digital coloring or whatever just feels flat to me. Personal opinion from someone who loves Adams' work painted in 70's style. :thumb:

My Bat-reads of late (August):
"Detective Comics" is on a great place, right now. I love the team, love how Batman is more of a support character, "outshined" by Kate, who is the star of the book. 10 years ago I'd be *SQUEE* just to hear the name of that character, now I love her and feel she's her own thing despite the obvious homage. Go KK!!!! (also, DC don't off Tim- I had this feeling reading the last issue and with Duke being a new Smart Sidekick...)

"Batman" is Good. Hugo Strange and the Wall were really surprising to see. I was thinking that G and GG were Kryptonian or just clones of Supes and Kara. Monster men, huh?...

"All-Star Batman". Loved JRJR's artwork, super dynamic and very reminiscent of Capullo (maybe it's just me) but the story is crazy good in it's premise. I can't wait to read this arc!!!!

EDIT - Brainfart here. Only my Batman is recolored, the GL/GA issues that I have in HC are classic 70's colors. Just the new edition covers had that awful look, imho.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

... and Tim is off the playing field. WTF happened/ where he is, I have 0 idea. :?
This felt like an editorial decision to me. Maybe, yeah, there's too many sidekicks and birds and bat-lites, whatever. But Tim is one of my fav characters in the family, and I was enjoying his new life here on "Rebirth" (I have a real dislike for nu52 TD). Now, Puff.
"See you one day, lil' chum. Bats thinks you dead. Everyone thinks you dead. We'll eventually get to you, but there's other priorities (the Monster Men and the Suicide Squad mission coming up). Maybe next year, Timmy."
:(

EDIT - Ok, after searching the web for possible theories, I've at least an idea of what happened, possibly. This goes back to Supes and Rebirth. :hm: Why is this Oz dude keeping Tim alive, but locked?!

Also, everyone should at least take a look at what Snyder and JRJR are doing over "All-Star Batman":this arc feels "instant classic" to me. So much fun.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Psiot X wrote:I was a huge fan of Batman the Animated Series and consider it the best adaption of the character ever. You just sold me on reading that book man. :)
If you haven't, you should check out the reprints in TPB of the BTAS/TNBA comics. Batman Adventures is done and they will start Batman & Robin Adventures very soon (this month, I think).

BTAS is my favourite TV thing, ever. Game of Thrones comes second, by a long margin. :D
I even like more aspects of it than the comics themselves. And Conroy is "my" Batman, forever and ever. Some episodes are some of my favourite Batman tales, like the obvious "Heart of Ice" (superb piece of writing and acting and animation altogether) or the not so famous "Growing Pains", "Perchance to Dream" (one of the most heartbreaking Batman stories, ever) or "If you're so smart, why aren't you rich?" which tells the origin of the Riddler that I most like. I seriously hope that The Riddler will someday be portrayed this way, not the Jokeresque figure that the 60's show made famous. Or, you know, Jim Carrey's Riddler. :!:

There will be nothing like it, again. A superb, respectful, all-ages-but-serious, original show (dark as dark can be on TV'S animation for its era) featuring one of the most beloved heroes out there, performed by brilliant VAs, with a superb OST to boot.
I am constantly watching BTAS, TNBA, STAS, JL and JLU on rotation (Beyond has bever grabbed me, but jeez, Return of the Joker is a super awesome story and without doubt, one of the best animated Batman movies. I absolutely LOVED IT. I will eventually see all of BB episodes, but I never felt like it so far.).
Case in point: I just freaking love the DCAU/Timmverse/Diniverse. This crossover with the TMNT might be successful enough that they could resume the line of comics. I'd be crazy happy, if so.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Psiot X wrote:

I was a huge fan of Batman the Animated Series and consider it the best adaption of the character ever. You just sold me on reading that book man. :)
It's a slow burn and may not be the up lifting story like Batkid Begins (which IMHO is the best Batman movie currently out and it's also one of the greatest superhero films ever made seriously go watch this movie it's on Netflix) but you have to Risso credit he draws the book in so many different styles I mean the artwork ranges from current Batman comics, Alex Ross style paintings, and stuff like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Loony Tunes, Batman: The Animated Series, and Sin City and he does each style each extremely well, but doesn't feel like he's coping them.

Paul Dini does a good job with making his friends and co-workers feel human with Alan Burnett coming off as the greatest boss in the universe and as the one who is trying to get Paul Dini back to writing to the show. While Bruce Timm is there but seems to be in the background mostly because he was busy with other aspects of the show (it could also be that Timm and Dini are both pretty snarky guys and that kind of humor can come off as cruel even when it's not meant too).

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

My latest Bat-reads and thoughts, October '16:

Batman (#8-9)- First, the "Night of the Monster Men" arc. Cool stuff, for a quick crossover, even though I did not read the "Nightwing" issues. Loved the Rossmo artwork. Very reminiscent of RDLT. This was a fun read, and different from what you expect from a Batman story. Giant Monster stuff is always a plus in my book.
Now, "I am Suicide" is promising to be freaking awesome. I loved the intro with Bane and Psycho-Pirate (what gives? Is Bane using Hayden as a rebound for quitting Venom? Sad Bane? :lol: ) and the Asylum recruiting bit, specially the 2 page fight with Ben F***** Turner and the twist with Punch. Those were really Awesome and heart-filled moments. Tom King is a Great Batman writer.
But one thing is definitely off: Selina is a serial killer or what? That was surprising. I like my Selina to be Evilish not a Bat-family friend, but killing 200+ people??? A Hannibal Lecter--type mask? That is just... mysterious, to say the least. Honestly, I am super curious to see her background here, in "Rebirth" land.

Also, Saturn Girl is imprisioned in Arkham as Jane Doe (the crazy, serial killer lady from AA: Living Hell) which is beyond weird. What is going on (this ties to Rebirth and the Watchmen), beats the s*** out of my comic-book detective skills. :?

Detective Comics (942-943)- Already taked about the Monster Men. Tynion did his part well, but that's not why I wanna talk about Detective.
Any Batman fan out there SHOULD read what James Tynion IV is doing with Clayface. He's simply writing the s*** out of that character. Not only is he funny, a solid team mate and VERY handful help (seriously, the Batman in "Clayface Armour" and the way the 2 of them got Strange were just so bada** moments) but his arc of "just wanting to be a good guy" is genuinely sad and hits on the feels. When he was training with Cassie? Man... hold the "laughing but with mantears", if you happen to like these 2 characters. I never want Clayface to be Bad again. Seriously, that good, imho. And poor Basil deserves a break after what Ivy did with him in the nu52.
The Victim Syndicate appears to be cool, but seeing Luke Fox acting as a sort of a-hole and Kate not liking him AT ALL was what I found more entertaining in this issue, along with the return of Harper and Jean-Paul Valley- YES!!!! No Michael Lane Azrael, PLEASE. :thumb: And, of course, let's not forget the Tim suit in the cave. Batman and everyone really are coping with his "death". But we know he's alive. What will happen, I have no idea. But if I had to guess, Tim will reappear in the final part of this "Rebirth saga" and really die. :(

DKIII: The Master Race (#6): :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I don't think this is a trick. The whole issue felt like a tribute to the OG saga. I think Miller's Batman has really died. 30 years after his appearance, I think this was it, really. Needless to say, the last page almost made me look like a p**** in front of my woman. Such a beautiful and powerful image. I haven't digested this properly.
The rest of the issue was very cool, one of the best in this series, so far. Carrie slingshoting that SOB Baal was so awesome. I think that anyone who is a fan of this character will LOVE that scene. It's not only nostalgic (because of the weapon) but it is very well done in terms of building the scene- it reads like a Hail Mary that gives you the Superbowl.

All-Star Batman (#3): I am loving every issue of this book so far. Really Loving it. I find the pairing of Snyder and JRJR to work very good, and damn, we had some amazing reappearances of long forgotten characters. In this issue, I jumped of excitement when I saw our buddy Harold. The fact that he is STILL working with Bruce (and always have, behind the scenes) makes it even better. I think that Harold is one of those characters that make my favourite superhero shine even more, if this makes sense- I love the relationship and friendship between the two.
Now, did Two-Face blinded Bruce?
And, btw, when is this happening? Can't be the present, for sure.

Great month for ALL of the books. Good times to be a Bat-fan.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

I'm not really interested in Monster Men because Detective Comics (and only the reason I buy it is because Batwoman is in it they take her out of the book and I would drop it today) and it's the only Batman book I'm buying and have no interest in the other Bat books outside of Harley Quinn and does she even count as a Bat character? My love for that book is waning due to her being dragged down by way to many mini-series and one-shots and her involvement in Suicide Squad a team I have even less interest in than Batman in any media. I might have to drop Detective Comics at #950 due to budget reasons. Chances are I will buy the new Batwoman series if DC still plans to publish it.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

My Bat-reads of November:

Batman Annual #1
This was a fun read, for an annual. Lots of talent working here (Adams, Snyder, Dini, King, etc, etc) and that leaves to some stories being better than others unlike a 40 page one-shot, that I was expecting. Best of this book is the very first story by King that shows the return of ACE. Yes, ACE!!!! And in such a great, heart-filled, simple and funny way. I do wonder if Titus (and Alfred The Cat and Bat-Cow) is still alive in this Rebirth era. Nobody mentioned that poor dog. :hm:
But seeing Ace full-on Bat-Hound is hilarious. And his backstory is really, like really well done here. It's so good. I loved this story.
The others are fun, some more than others and overall, it's a good Batman "large issue" with the small story of Ace as one of those you just got to love.

Batman #10-11
Ok, last month I was intrigued by Selina's background and why is she a well-known ASSASSIN. Ease up, guys- they were all bad dudes, anyway. 237 members of the Dogs of War gang that killed her parents. She slit the throats of everyone of them, ninja-style. A super bada** silent assassin and thief is what Catwoman appears to be. And a *SQUEE* traitor. 8-)
The issue with her writing to Bruce is awesome, with all the present-day action being almost entirely silent. Just Batman doing his thing, while Selina's words are on the panels. Big exception is Bane attacking Bruce without Venom. I think he's out of the stuff, for good. Doesn't mean he's not scary. I like SMART Bane. That's my Bane.
And then, there's issue #11. Probably the best issue of this volume of Batman, so far. Twists abound. Great art, Great story with an ending that makes you want to read #12 asap. Tom King is making his mark in the Bat-world. I did not see that coming at all. That makes 239, I guess. :D

Detective Comics #944-945
I am really digging this arc. Psychologically-speaking, it has been very heavy on Bruce, with both the Victim Syndicate and Steph blaming him "just" for being Batman. Luke "Iron Bat" Fox was cool, particularly the first time he suits up. Simple stuff that I like (same for Azrael getting ready to kick a**!) But my favourite bits were the Leslie Thompkins-Clayface dialogue. I really dig Basil. And needless to say, the last page is a serious WTF is going on? Steph allucinating? :?
This series is still very strong. It has me on my toes since the beginning.

All-Star Batman #4
Nice issue, but unfortunately, no reappearances of old characters, which has been one of my fav things in this series. There was some cool stuff going on in the main story and the back tale is nice, although I have no idea where it's going, because it is a bit confusing. I gotta re-read it all when it ends. Reading Batman sayin' "Rock n' Roll will never die" was just a LMAO, awesome bit. I always took Bruce for a classical music type of guy. Maybe a bit of smooth jazz sounds... :lol:
Next issue is the finale of the arc and I am hyped for it. Great art by JRJR, as always in this book.

Batman TMNT Adventures #1
Ok, out of the way: this is nothing but good fun and it doesn't want to be more than that. And it succeeds in a great way, imho. Any fan of BTAS will love to read a NEW adventure in this style, which happens to mix well enough with the Nickelodeon TMNT. Mudbutt fighting the turtles was fun enough, but not much happened- felt sort of short in that regards.
Either way, like I said, I think BTAS fans will like this a lot. I do. :thumb:

Best of the bunch:
Batman #11, no doubt. Loved that issue all the way.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28
Re: BATMAN 2014 - 75th Birthday

Post by mkb28 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
mkb28 wrote:Finally read all these "Batman" New 52 HC editions:

Batman: Court of Owls HC Volume 1- Completed
Batman: The City of Owls HC Volume 2- Completed
Night of the Owls HC (Tie-in)- Completed
Batman: Death of the Family HC Volume 3- Completed
The Joker: Death of the Family HC (Tie-in)- Completed
Batman: Zero Year- Secret City HC Volume 4- Completed- Best so far!
Batman: Zero Year- Dark City HC Volume 5- Completed- Best so far!
DC Comics Zero Year HC (Tie-in)- Completed

I really enjoyed the "Zero Year" storyline and seeing Batman in his early stages. :thumb:

Mkb28
:thumb: Good stuff, sir! You will enjoy Endgame, I am sure of it. :D

A few days ago I finished reading Eternal. 200+ Euros for 52 issues that basically ended with the same Status Quo for all characters.
It was VERY fun to read at times, got slow in others, but what I really take from it is that I spent a lot of money on a series that was not worth the effort. Cluemaster and March was a smart move, but the "Tonight, We are All Batman" stuff is really tiring. How many times will they use that plot device???????
Plus points for Bluebird. She's the best new bat-character since Damian, imho. :thumb:
Finally getting around to reading the Batman Eternal series in 3 TP volumes. I finished Volume 1 and I am a couple of issues in on Volume 2. I don't really know what to think so far. There are so many plot points going on and the different art is distracting from the story at times. At times I feel like it is a "hot mess" and I am already thinking I will sell the trades at the end. facepalm This series does not make me want to read Batman and Robin Eternal at this point. I hope it gets better. :hope:

Mkb28

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I liked Eternal for its first 30 issues or so. After that, it became stale. And yeah, kinda boring.
I did not went for the B&R Eternal because a weekly comic is not going to have quality every time and this series left a bad taste in my mouth and a hole in my wallet I did not like at all.

I heard good things about it, but just don't feel like reading it, for now. Having Cassandra return was really cool and is one good thing that came out of it, same as Azrael. I'm digging both of them in Detective.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

ShadowTuga wrote:I liked Eternal for its first 30 issues or so. After that, it became stale. And yeah, kinda boring.
I did not went for the B&R Eternal because a weekly comic is not going to have quality every time and this series left a bad taste in my mouth and a hole in my wallet I did not like at all.

I heard good things about it, but just don't feel like reading it, for now. Having Cassandra return was really cool and is one good thing that came out of it, same as Azrael. I'm digging both of them in Detective.
Just finished the complete series and for me, it actually got better as it went along. Won't stop me from selling these trades, but it was an OK read. The different artists were a distraction to me and every issue that was related to the supernatural lost my interest. Probably why I haven't got into Shadowman or Master Darque either with Valiant.

Mkb28

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

mkb28 wrote:The different artists were a distraction to me and every issue that was related to the supernatural lost my interest. Probably why I haven't got into Shadowman or Master Darque either with Valiant. Mkb28
I agree that the very different artists' styles were distracting at times. But I actually liked the Fox/Corrigan adventure with Blackfire- sure, not what to expect from Batman's traditional comics, but the dialogue between the two (Luke being the science man and Corrigan being the freaking Wrath of God) was always fun to me, and I would like to see the two of them together more often. I dig having the opposite views on magic stuff- my X-Files geekness kicking in. :D

My current reads (as of December):

Batman #12-13
To Everyone.
I sincerely believe that "Batman" by Tom King is going to become one of the great runs of this century on the character, mark my words. It seemed almost impossible for a guy who came after Snyder and Greg Capullo to make his work shine. Remember- he has no steady artist to work with. I want this book to grab a great penciller to make Tom King's scripts justice, and regularly. Make it just monthly, if need be.
Wow, what can I say about #12 that hasn't been written on the webz? It is revolutionary and just like Snyder did with the Owls, it kinda becomes instant canon for me. I never felt so close to this character, due to that little detail that King came up with. I am being 100% honest.
It's heavy stuff, of course, but it is something that I always kinda thought about, I guess. What I mean is, IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. And the way that King described it is simply Heartbreaking. I stopped at the splash pages and could not move forward for a good 5 minutes or so. Just taking that info in. Re-reading it over and over. Absolutely one of my fav moments as a Batman reader. I'm not saying this lightly. I have read a couple of Batman books in my life.
And I never expected to have these "feels" in the main Batman book so soon, specially after Snyder left. I'm baffled.
As you can see, I did not mention what that new stuff is. If you want, google "Batman King issue 12 origin", or better, read the entire arc "I am Suicide". Because it is so freaking Good. And if you love Batman the way I do, you will love this character even more and feel lucky to have a guy like King writing it.
Ok, as for the rest- I kinda expected the twist, but it was cool anyway.The bit with Wesker was hilarious and bada**. THAT'S WHY he was recruited!!!! What a great comic book moment, the confrontation between a reborn Scarface and a powerless Psycho-Pirate. It's so freaking awesome.
Now, Bane is getting the green stuff in his body again and coming after Bruce. Where have I read this? :lol:
Bronze Tiger being a Venom junkie is something I want to see explained and explored. And I want Bruce to convince Ben that The Drugs Don't Work. He, of all peeps, knows.
The Selina and Bruce romance is the part I cared less because we don't know *SQUEE* about their past, basically.
I'm not reading any other book with Selina, so I might be completely off.
Anyway- "Batman" is strong and healthy. And this arc was pure awesomeness.

Detective Comics #946-947
Spoiler turns Heel, or at least, not friends with the Bats. She had that cool moment where she displayed her knowledge of Tim's technostuff and nailed everyone but the Man. I liked that, dunno why. She will be back, of course-Steph is a nice person, after all. She just mad.
And on that, Tim. So, last month we were left with Spoiler "finding" Tim. But it's not him, it's a technogizmo that only she can access.

Buuut... in the last pages of the arc we see him making up some (again) technogizmo and apparently escaping his prison, wherever the *SQUEE* that may be. But, he does not because it seems that this Oz dude really is on another level (dimension?). Is he Ozymandias?! :?
I liked this arc, (although, yeah, the Syndicate had no skills whatsoever to go criminal in the first place- just a bunch of victims who looked like hell), but most of all, I'm really liking the fact that each issue counts. There's always something cool to talk about. Is it the best "Batman family book" ever? Probably will be in the discussion for that title, if the quality continues for a couple of years. James Tynion IV really knows his Bat-stuff and what clicks with the fans.
And, of course, more Clayface great moments (he's got a girlfriend on the way :D ). I'll champion the *SQUEE* out of that guy. He is awesomely written here.

All-Star Batman #5
The final issue of the first arc.
I'll have to re-read all of it, there was too many things happening and I feel this is the "ultimate tradewait" book. It doesn't feel connected with the main 2 titles (Duke is nowhere to be found outside here, AFAIK, except for a few minor apperances in "Batman"'s first arc) and I sincerely have 0 idea on when this is going on. It can not be present day. But nothing was explained in that sense, so far, I think. Like I said, I have to re-read these 5 issues.
Either way, it was a very fun read with Fantastic artwork, again. I'm gonna miss JRJR's work on this. My fav bits were the trick with the Batcave entrance (and speaking of the Batcave- Holee *SQUEE* Alfred, you paid someone to off the Joker?! :o ) and the finale, itself. Batman himself has fun in this book. Even if its passing for a supposedly dead guy (he'll be back, of course) with a freaking scary gun-thing instead of an arm, just to *SQUEE* off his enemies. On that, I loved how KGBeast was portrayed here. I really dig the "I cut own arm, capitalist scum" Anatoli, the "this is really the 80s" Batman Russian baddie. "Ten Nights of the Beast" is a classic Batman tale, IMHO.
Also, this was a sort of psychological study on the Batman and Harvey relation. And the Harv and Two-Face one. More reasons for a re-read.
It is a great Bat-book so far, and I'm not surprised by that. I love Scott Snyder's Batman.

DKIII: The Master Race #7
Out of the way. Bruce is alive. Damn, I really believed it was the last battle that the guy fought, but hey- Lazarus Pit and Supes helping and voilá, Bats is back AND YOUNG! The bit with Carrie seeing the helmet in Yindel's hands was really emotional, but it is undone with the "ressurection and reverse-aging" of Bruce. No more 1986 Old Man Bats, apparently. And this could lead to another series of minis. I still have mixed feelings about this. Gotta re-read the entire saga again, once this is over. Specially AS Batman and Robin. Do I want more of THAT Batman these days? :hm:
If I have a big beef against this series is that the timing of release just sucks. It is taking forever to finish.
I am liking it, like really liking it (although I was a wee bit disappointed with this issue's "gotcha!" feel) but c'mon. We now kinda know for a long time how to defeat those K basterds, and with them showing up in Themyscira to fight the Amazons, it's game over. And don't forget Lara- she will betray Baal and Quar, because OF COURSE, SHE WOULD. She is Supes' daughter and with Quar now wanting to kill poor Jonathan... She will be the hero of the end of this series, I easily bet.

(Yeah, this is all pretty spoilerish)
Seeing the Hawks in this universe and being the main stars of the side-story/backup/whatever for this issue was surprisingly cool and now we have GL back. And Ray is on his way to fix this stuff.
I'm hyped for the final confrontation, but it takes forever.

Batman/TMNT Adventures #2
The lighthearted all-ages fun-fest continues, and man, I am so digging this. I'm in it for the art, for the most part, because seeing this style in a new adventure is just awesome. The story is really light, featheresque stuff, but it's the closest thing to new BTAS comics. I just love it. And now it appears that the first crossover (based on the comics' versions of the characters) is getting an animated version. Fun stuff.

On the TPB front- some great news:
after being done with the massive crossovers of the 90s (Knightfall, Contagion - and soon - Legacy, Cataclysm and Aftershock, Road to No Man's Land and No Man's Land itself) DC is reprinting the 00s Great Stories starting with "New Gotham"!!! I absolutely love this era of Bat-books. Rucka!!!
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Gee, I haven't bothered you guys in a while. No more! :lol:

Let's see, my Bat-Books of late (caught up with the April books)

Batman #20-21: this includes both the ending of "I am Bane" and part one of "The Button" storyline. More on that in another place.
I liked "I am Bane" a LOT. This was the arc that brought all of the main elements in King's Batman. The issue where Bane goes through the Gotham Rogues like a hot knife on butter, is just fun comics. Great visuals by David Finch all through this arc, and the final fight is of course, epic. Add to that, you get to know what is Batman's canon middle name!(It's Thomas)
I dug the "same Bat-time, same Bat-channel" bit.

Detective Comics #954-955: the latter part of "League of Shadows", starring Shiva and her organization. I am, as always, enjoying the hell out of this book. Cassandra and Shiva's final battle is going to be great- the build up was awesome, and I want to see if there's any chance of them being family, ever again. Some pretty damn good fight scenes in this arc.

All-Star Batman #8-9:This arc has been entertaining enough (I loved the Ivy issue, with Tula Lotay's artwork- SHE'S AMAZING!!!!), but I am way more excited about the next one, with Alfred being the main character. The backstories are still here, and it is one of those cases where I will have to reread it, in order to understand wtf is going on.

DKIII: The Master Race #8:Holee Amazonia, Batman! :lol:
Out of the way: this book contains one of the most badass moments in Wonder Woman's history. She is freaking amazing in this series, it is so great everytime we have her, and here, it is simply the essence of Miller's WW at her best. The JUMP is phenomenal artwork (I could not flip the pages for a good minute, at least), but the kiss? :o She makes Supes look like Lois for a sec.
In the minicomic we get to see Bruno again, which is always ... fun? :lol:

Batman/TMNT Adventures #5:Again, first thing about this comic- it is just fun and it doesn't want to be more than that. All-ages light fun. So great.
My 2 favourite pages of anything Batman of late were published in this book, and I put them in here. Michelangelo BTAS homage is one of those things you'll never forget, if you're a fan of the cartoons.
And the bit with Scarecrow designing his TNBA costume was also great, which makes me want to read a brand new DCAU Batman series. This is all in continuity, it seems!

Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

'Tuga's Bat-reads, June 2017 edition:
8-)

Batman #24-25:
Batman #24 is probably, one of the best Batman comics you'll read in a long time. The internet of course spoiled the cliffhanger, but that's completely secondary here. The way that this little story is told is almost flawless. "Our very own peeps" Clay Mann and Jordie Bellaire contribute to illustrate the terrific script that Tom King wrote. It is fantastic. The dialogue with Gotham Girl is poetry-like stuff. I'm super serious. Read this, even if you're not following Batman and have 3 dollars to burn. It is really worth the trouble.
And speaking of trouble, after that break in the prev issue, Bats is going to reveal something bad he did during the event called The War of Jokes and Riddles, which is, of course, the next 8-issue event that takes place in the second year of Batman's career. I'm not a fan of these tales of old in the main books (I complained about it during Zero Year), especially when Bruce just asked Selina to marry him. But the intro was really cool, specially the Riddler's escape and eventual encounter with Joker (who, if I had to guess, is the Brian Bolland version from Killing Joke, if you don't know that weird Rebirth fact- there are 3 Jokers currently). We get a glimpse of future battles to come like Freeze/Ivy, Penguin/Firefly or Man-Bat/Clayface, which will be the main thing in each issue of this arc, I guess. I love Tom King's Batman so I'm definitely in, but I might gather a few more books before diving into the story.

Detective Comics #958-959:
This was cool, beginning of a new arc, revolving around Azrael and Ascalon, the new weapon of St. Dumas that is hellbent on killing anyone from the order. And he's actually a it, since it's a robot/AI gained life.
This might be a cool not-that-important-arc, we get Zatanna in 959 and she might help Bruce getting to Tim; how, I have no idea.
But I still I love this book, it always makes me laugh or be excited or caring about the whole cast- that's something difficult to pull with so many people around. Cassie and Basil are the cutest thing ever, with one more scene that I will hardly forget. James Tynion IV deserves a big applause for what he's doing here with "Mudbutt". I love Clayface as a member of the Bat-family, I've said it many times, because it is true.
Best Bat-family book in what it feels like decades. This is real fun Batman comics.

Dark Days: The Forge #1:
Ok, time to grab your event hat and get crazy. This is not a Batman book, more like a DCU/JL book that has Batman going through a - seriously, wtf?!- mistery plot. I laughed hard when I saw who he was keeping in the moon (?) and in the secret Batcave of the Batcave (it's a thing, really!)- and on that, some Easter EGG, if you want a stupid pun. I wonder what is going on with ol' Plasty and one of the Jokers in there. I have no idea.

And then, the craziest part of this comic happens: remember COTIE? Remember those tuning forks gizmos that the Anti-Monitor used to get all Earths in the same frequence of sound so they would vanish all together at the same time?

Batman kept one of those things. And he's been keeping it in a secret room in the Fortress of Solitude, that he made Supes promise to never look at
. It's bananas. And awesome.
There's also a great scene between Duke and Hal. Great lighthearted banter. And Misters Terrific and Miracle. Really Cool Comic Stuff.

By the way, this is all about Hawkman, the Nth metal and a Dark Multiverse, whatever that is. I can't imagine where this is going, but DC promised this is not just an "Evil Multiverse" or something like that. This feels like a great event, with fun in the upfront.

For a prelude, this delivered Big time. I can't wait to read more of this.

DKIII: The Master Race #9

All in all, this series had its great moments, and others where it could have been better.
*SQUEE* all that. The last issue is nothing short of superb DKR comics, I was so surprised by the tone and resolution we got here. Ok, the baddies go away in a puff, but what you gotta check here is the way that Frank Miller (and Azzarello), some 31 years later, finally puts Superman in the place where he rightfully belongs: as THE ultimate Superhero. The *SQUEE* Man of Tomorrow.
Batman realising that ALL of those years Clark always held back makes you (sort of) rethink TDKR's ending. Batman now knows he could never beat this dude, if Supes actually tried with all his will; Bruce had to be EXTREMELY lucky- and have help- like when GA nailed the guy. It's a love-letter to Superman fans who always felt that Miller gave the Blue Boy Scout the finger. Trust me, by the end of this series, Clark is the heart of the story. Lara is great, also- the mini comic is a great warmy fuzzy lil' tale.

But then, Batman and Carrie. Read the last 2 pages and try not to shed some man tears if you LOVE TDKR like I- and so many fanboys do. It's the freaking opposite of the entire TDKR mood, optimistic and hopeful: yes, Bruce is a young man again, but above all, he now has Batwoman as a partner and he feels inspired by this absolutely magnificent character. I love CK, and her story in this universe. She's the *SQUEE* best. I'm already drooling on the idea that she could visit Earth Prime one of these days, because I want more of that costume. :lol:

All-Star Batman #11:
Alfred rocks. Sort of origin story for Bruce's BFF. He's younger here (57) and he can kick *SQUEE* and scream a dirty-worded punk anthem, I can only hope. I am enjoying this arc, the villain has a cool design, but this series is going to be cancelled and I kinda guess why- Snyder did not put much thought into this and trusted the stellar artists' rosters more than he should. The first arcs were ok, but the backstories are confusing and kinda meh on a second read, specially the wheel stuff.
Still, this final arc promises to be a great Alfie tale. I'm really digging it.
Last edited by ShadowTuga on Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:19:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo