Dinesh talks Bloodshot movie

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/30/ ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Dinesh talks Bloodshot movie

Post by hunter_peterson »

Hopefully we start to get more details soonish!

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

The overall premise of Bloodshot is honestly more in line with Universal Soldier, not Terminator or Total Recall, but that's really just fanboy nitpicking

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

omega_override wrote:The overall premise of Bloodshot is honestly more in line with Universal Soldier, not Terminator or Total Recall, but that's really just fanboy nitpicking
Terminator in the sense that he's an unstoppable killing machine, and Total Recall in the sense that he's a warrior that doesn't remember who he is. I think it's a great analogy.

Intrepidxc
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

I'm buying tickets to all the Valiant movies and making my wife go with me. It's payback time for all the Romantic Comedies!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Intrepidxc wrote:I'm buying tickets to all the Valiant movies and making my wife go with me. It's payback time for all the Romantic Comedies!
That's the (Rising) spirit!! :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BloodShot
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by BloodShot »

jmatt wrote:
omega_override wrote:The overall premise of Bloodshot is honestly more in line with Universal Soldier, not Terminator or Total Recall, but that's really just fanboy nitpicking
Terminator in the sense that he's an unstoppable killing machine, and Total Recall in the sense that he's a warrior that doesn't remember who he is. I think it's a great analogy.
That's exactly how I took it, too, jmatt; exactly :wink: .
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

BloodShot
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by BloodShot »

grendeljd wrote:
Intrepidxc wrote:I'm buying tickets to all the Valiant movies and making my wife go with me. It's payback time for all the Romantic Comedies!
That's the (Rising) spirit!! :thumb:
:funnypost:
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

Justice41
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Justice41 »

Really think about it Bloodshot is kinda like Pre X-men Wolverine. He is used and then mind wiped. The way they had Bucky (Winter Soldier) In Captain America.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I have to admit, this is gonna be a tough nut to crack. There are just sooo many comic book superhero movies out there and so many, many more to come.

It's gonna have to be something very, very special to get attention.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

jmatt wrote:I have to admit, this is gonna be a tough nut to crack. There are just sooo many comic book superhero movies out there and so many, many more to come.

It's gonna have to be something very, very special to get attention.
Very much inclined to agree. Add in the likley rating and it gets a harder sell.

DC/WB and Marvel Studios will be creating a huge amount of noise with 2-3 movies each per year over the next several years. Add in what comes from Fox and Sony (when it co produces Spider-man franchise movies), and it may make sense to try and pitch them as genre movies not unlike Terminator et al. Except the last Terminator didn't do so well, and so Bloodshot is in a really tough arena.

Harbinger may struggle even more due to obvious X-Men comparisons.

The Fantastic Four reboot proved that super-hero movies are not all guaranteed money earners.

Movies like Dredd and Jonah Hex had similar modest budgets, and both are arguably non-superhero movies from comic book source material, and so should be kept in mind that there are no guarantees.

The Marvel Studios guys are functioning in such a well oiled way they can cope with directorial changes and still press on. I suspect they have built up a lot of solid infrastructure to support their productions.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

leonmallett wrote:DC/WB and Marvel Studios will be creating a huge amount of noise with 2-3 movies each per year over the next several years. Add in what comes from Fox and Sony ...
The movie market is super saturated with comic book movies, that's for sure. Throw in more upcoming Star Wars movies and all of the oxygen will be sucked out of the room.

I think it's possible that not being a household name and having low expectations could actually help, paradoxically. If people walk away thinking it was way better than they expected, that could generate word of mouth. If there's a few unexpected cool battle moments (like the ulna neck stab), plot twists and some good humor/levity worked in, that could do it.

I will assume that with the amount of money being thrown at it, effects and production value will not be an issue. But if it's hard to understand or there's some questionable casting -- those are the kind of intangibles that can break a movie.

A good movie is based as much mistakes it doesn't make as it is in what it gets right.

I know I always make this reference but if it can be as entertaining as Hellboy, it will work. Hellboy was outside of the box, it didn't fit neatly into what people might expect. The corpse he resurrects that keeps calling him a monkey? Hilarious. The moment where he makes his peace with the overbearing program director (who shows him to use a wooden match to light his cigar to preserve the flavor) was just perfect. The library scene? Gripping action. Abe Sapien? What a great sidekick.