It's official, we are part of the culture wars..

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
It's official, we are part of the culture wars..

Post by Sven the Returned »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxYyC-Lag9E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Starts at 12:00, in this case i wish Sargon would had done more research. Could somebody embed the vid, thanks.

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: It's official, we are part of the culture wars..

Post by hunter_peterson »

I feel like if he wanted to talk about Faith he should have Googled her first. He's usually better, from what little I have seen. But his complaints are pretty much based around his misunderstanding almost everything about the character besides that she's fat. Which, really, is partially the fault of the article not explaining any of those things, but still... research before you record yourself being clueless.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Research before you record yourself being clueless?

Why?

Look how successful Fox News is, and they've never checked a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

greg wrote:Research before you record yourself being clueless?

Why?

Come on now Greg, thats unfair, they are Fair and balanced!! I am sure they cannot be either without fact checking!!!
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

honestly faith could very easily be garbage

its not by dysart and the previews just did not look at all interesting

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

nscc wrote:

Why?

Come on now Greg, thats unfair, they are Fair and balanced!! I am sure they cannot be either without fact checking!!!
That depends completely on whose 'facts' you're choosing to believe.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

hunter_peterson
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway

Post by hunter_peterson »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
nscc wrote:

Why?

Considering Fox News has legally had itself declared to be entertainment and not news, I wouldn't expect them to be anything other than completely stupid. Not that MSNBC is much better, supposedly. The news industry is pathetic these days.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992

Post by Tim »

Felt like I should school these folks a bit.

Posted this in the comments:

Not going to comment too much on the rest of the video, but here's a few Faith-facts from a huge fan of the character and Valiant Comics in general. The character of Faith has been around for 23 years, first appearing in 1992's Harbinger #1. Valiant comics relaunched in 2012, updating many of it's characters, but Faith pretty much remained unchanged as a character apart from modernizing some of her geeky interests (she's into Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Firefly, etc, as opposed to Star Trek, Babylon 5 and whatever nerds were into in 1992). Her power is flight. That's why she's flying in the images you see. Pretty sure the guy she's saving ISN'T a love interest as she already has one in the comics, and no, he's not a handsome, fit, catch either. He's a frail paraplegic who can create a psychic projection of himself to be a muscle-man, strong guy type character. When he first gets his powers he's a delusional misogynist on a severe male power trip, but his adventures with the Renegades and his eventual connection with Faith make him into a pretty noble cat after all is said and done. The whole Renegades team start out as a bunch of broken, selfish people, but Faith's influence is inspirational and her very presence molds the team into real heroes by the time the 25 issue initial run is over.

The story of Faith is also much more complex than her being just a nerd that readers relate to. In the story Faith's parents were both huge comics and sci-fi fans. They are killed in a car accident and her grandmother comforts her by introducing her to her parents hobbies and interests. Faith's love of genre stuff is a way she can be closer to and remember her dead parents. By loving the things they loved.

All in all, yeah, aren't the SJW's funny? But to consider that this character is just a simple ploy to get the mythical "diversity readers" and score liberal media points is just unfair. Faith's size is only one of the unique things about her in comics, but more than that she's a minority among comics characters because there's nothing dark, angsty or pretentious about her. She EMBODIES joy and love and fun and that is why people should read this book. I'm a little skeptical that Josh Dysart isn't writing her, but I trust Valiant to keep the spirit of the character alive in this new mini.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
nscc wrote:

Why?

Yeah, can we please keep politics down in Everything Else, please? Unless it is somehow a component of a comic. Would anyone like it if every time a rumor proved false I made cracks about "keeping my health care plan" or having my premiums "lowered by $2500"?

I don't want that and neither does anyone else. I come here to get away from all of that stuff. So, pretty please. For board comity.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Brapbrap wrote:honestly faith could very easily be garbage

its not by dysart and the previews just did not look at all interesting
Anything could, but generally I trust what VEI is doing.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Tim wrote:Felt like I should school these folks a bit.

Posted this in the comments:

Not going to comment too much on the rest of the video, but here's a few Faith-facts from a huge fan of the character and Valiant Comics in general. The character of Faith has been around for 23 years, first appearing in 1992's Harbinger #1. Valiant comics relaunched in 2012, updating many of it's characters, but Faith pretty much remained unchanged as a character apart from modernizing some of her geeky interests (she's into Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Firefly, etc, as opposed to Star Trek, Babylon 5 and whatever nerds were into in 1992). Her power is flight. That's why she's flying in the images you see. Pretty sure the guy she's saving ISN'T a love interest as she already has one in the comics, and no, he's not a handsome, fit, catch either. He's a frail paraplegic who can create a psychic projection of himself to be a muscle-man, strong guy type character. When he first gets his powers he's a delusional misogynist on a severe male power trip, but his adventures with the Renegades and his eventual connection with Faith make him into a pretty noble cat after all is said and done. The whole Renegades team start out as a bunch of broken, selfish people, but Faith's influence is inspirational and her very presence molds the team into real heroes by the time the 25 issue initial run is over.

The story of Faith is also much more complex than her being just a nerd that readers relate to. In the story Faith's parents were both huge comics and sci-fi fans. They are killed in a car accident and her grandmother comforts her by introducing her to her parents hobbies and interests. Faith's love of genre stuff is a way she can be closer to and remember her dead parents. By loving the things they loved.

All in all, yeah, aren't the SJW's funny? But to consider that this character is just a simple ploy to get the mythical "diversity readers" and score liberal media points is just unfair. Faith's size is only one of the unique things about her in comics, but more than that she's a minority among comics characters because there's nothing dark, angsty or pretentious about her. She EMBODIES joy and love and fun and that is why people should read this book. I'm a little skeptical that Josh Dysart isn't writing her, but I trust Valiant to keep the spirit of the character alive in this new mini.
Very well said, Tim. That's awesome. :clap: :clap:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:Very well said, Tim. That's awesome. :clap: :clap:
Yes, a pithy response. The author didn't actually exert any energy whatsoever trying to learn about the character.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

jmatt wrote:
Yes, a pithy response. The author didn't actually exert any energy whatsoever trying to learn about the character.
Kinda like Fox News. :P

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

greg wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Kinda like Fox News. :P
You.... :P :lol:

bRai
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: September 2015
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by bRai »

Dynamite breakdown by Tim. I always tend to look at Faith as being a representation of us, the reader. In a world full of anti-heroes and "too cool for school" characters, Faith is an honest portrayal of how an average comic fan would react to being thrown into that world. I loved her arc with Unity; she was so unbelievably happy at the concept of joining a super hero team, and then so utterly disappointed in the reality. To discount her at all would be a grave disservice to the character.

And *SQUEE* SJWs.
I understand that swearing demonstrates a lack of inspired vocabulary, but I also don't give a *SQUEE*.