Ultimate variant insanity

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Ultimate variant insanity

Post by jmatt »

This prolly belongs in the "Other Publishers" section but I just read in CBG about an upcoming variant scheme from DC.

In December, DC is publishing some Harley Quinn vs Wonder Woman book. The book will have ten variants. BUT! Each of the variants comes in three flavors: full colors, pencils and inks; just pencils; and just pencils and inks. BUT! All of the books come blackout bagged, so you don't know which one you're getting. The bags will state which variant of the 10... but not which of the three variants of that particular variant.

So even though there are 30 different covers, you can't know which ones you actually purchased without removing the bag. So you could buy three copies of variant #7 and get one full and two pencil & inks, leaving you without the pencil cover. And of course, removing the bag lessens its value in the eyes of purist nutjob collectors.

Has this industry lost its effing mind, or what? I really think they are just testing to see how stupid comic collectors are.

For that much effort, the book had better start with some hand to hand combat that melts into a kiss and ends up with some Young/Mature action in a hot tub. Maybe there will be a statue. 8-) :lol:

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Ultimate variant insanity

Post by nycjadie »

LOL! Ridiculous!

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

wow.... that is just... wow.... :lol:

facepalm
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

jmatt wrote:
Has this industry lost its effing mind, or what? I really think they are just testing to see how stupid comic collectors are.
I predict high sales, which will lead to more of the same.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

I guess on the bright side there won't be much point in keeping the books poly-bagged.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

FormerReader wrote:
jmatt wrote:
I predict high sales, which will lead to more of the same.

I agree.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

jeremycoe wrote:I guess on the bright side there won't be much point in keeping the books poly-bagged.
Yes. You will have to open these to see which one you will get.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

nscc wrote:wow.... that is just... wow.... :lol:

facepalm
:o
My feelings exactly. I pity the fools who will fall for this *SQUEE*.
WHAT THE SERIOUS F***?!?!
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

It is like opening up a pack of baseball cards to see what you get, only you damage the package to do it. :?

Speaking of a crazy number of variants from DC, did you see all the variant covers for Dark Knight 3? I wanna say there were dozens of retailer variant covers plus some very expensive Jim Lee variants.

mkb28

Dr Noel
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: magnus
Favorite title: magnus/harbinger
Favorite writer: shooter

Post by Dr Noel »

I'm definitely feeling some valiant variant fatigue. I gave up trying to get all the store exclusive variants a while back. It was too time consuming and annoying to track them all down since it was hard to know exactly how many there were. Now I'm starting to question why I keep buying the normal variants. Part the of the fun of being on board since the beginning was owning every comic the company put out. But that's gone due to the store exclusive thing. So what's one more step?

Also, due to my schedule, I rarely get to read the comics before the trades come out. Even now I have at least six unread tpb's on my bookshelf. Logic is starting to beat down my OCD...

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Dr Noel wrote:I'm definitely feeling some valiant variant fatigue. I gave up trying to get all the store exclusive variants a while back. It was too time consuming and annoying to track them all down since it was hard to know exactly how many there were. Now I'm starting to question why I keep buying the normal variants. Part the of the fun of being on board since the beginning was owning every comic the company put out. But that's gone due to the store exclusive thing. So what's one more step?

Also, due to my schedule, I rarely get to read the comics before the trades come out. Even now I have at least six unread tpb's on my bookshelf. Logic is starting to beat down my OCD...
I feel your variant fatigue, Doc, and I also gave up on collecting the retailer variants. It was frustrating to buy these #1 package deals, only to find out you still needed just as many, if not more, retailer variants to have the whole set. :!: I used to collect all the number 1 variants, but it was quite liberating to buy just one copy of Dr. Mirage and Faith #1.

I let the individual issues pile up until I have a story arc and that is when I read them. Next step will be to stop buying the individual issues, but logic has not prevailed just yet. :lol:

Michael
Mkb28

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

Dr Noel wrote:I'm definitely feeling some valiant variant fatigue. I gave up trying to get all the store exclusive variants a while back. It was too time consuming and annoying to track them all down since it was hard to know exactly how many there were. Now I'm starting to question why I keep buying the normal variants. Part the of the fun of being on board since the beginning was owning every comic the company put out. But that's gone due to the store exclusive thing. So what's one more step?

Finally! Now you can sell me some of those sweet slabs. Doesn't make ANY sense whatsoever to own those. :P

:hope:

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

mkb28 wrote:It is like opening up a pack of baseball cards to see what you get, only you damage the package to do it. :?
That's the analogy that kept coming to mind, for me. You can't know what you're buying until you've bought it. I foresee a lot of buyers organizing impromptu onsite swaps with other customers just beyond the cash register.

A smart LCS would just buy a boatload, open them and put together full sets for sale on Ebay.

It's preposterous.
Dr Noel wrote:I'm definitely feeling some valiant variant fatigue. I gave up trying to get all the store exclusive variants a while back. ...Now I'm starting to question why I keep buying the normal variants. Part the of the fun of being on board since the beginning was owning every comic the company put out. But that's gone due to the store exclusive thing. So what's one more step?
Exactly, they're killing the golden goose. If you have no chance of getting them all, why get any of them? And while I will still occasionally buy a VEI publisher variant, for the life of me I can't understand why anybody cares about the store variants.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Peace came when I stopped buying all of the variants. Now, it has become difficult to even find pictures of all of the variants. Now, more time to read them?
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nscc »

kevinbastos wrote:Peace came when I stopped buying all of the variants. Now, it has become difficult to even find pictures of all of the variants. Now, more time to read them?
Yeah now I get 1 copy of each book on my pull list. When there are Variant covers, I just asked Nick (the guy who does up the orders at Eds shop) to just send me the coolest looking one. So much easier :thumb:

I am also in the same boat with reading. I am easily far enough behind I could wait for trades or hardcovers... but I am just not there yet. Maybe some day...

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nscc »

mkb28 wrote:It is like opening up a pack of baseball cards to see what you get, only you damage the package to do it. :?

Speaking of a crazy number of variants from DC, did you see all the variant covers for Dark Knight 3? I wanna say there were dozens of retailer variant covers plus some very expensive Jim Lee variants.

mkb28

71 as of a few weeks ago! Apparently there is a 1:5000 Jim Lee variant too, Holy *SQUEE*!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/26/ ... -can-find/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crazyness!

I guess these are the ways DC will take back some market share from Marvel. By raping the wallets of the ones who still support them. Sad.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

You lost me at "DC."

Dr Noel
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: magnus
Favorite title: magnus/harbinger
Favorite writer: shooter

Post by Dr Noel »

depluto wrote:You lost me at "DC."
:lol:

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

If it was announced today that Adventures of Superman #500 (1993) had 6 golden tickets inside the unopened bags that had never been found, it would still take decades to find them.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

nscc wrote:

mkb28

71 as of a few weeks ago! Apparently there is a 1:5000 Jim Lee variant too, Holy *SQUEE*!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/26/ ... -can-find/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crazyness!

I guess these are the ways DC will take back some market share from Marvel. By raping the wallets of the ones who still support them. Sad.
Yet thankfully no other publisher has yet gone down VEI's irksome route of making actual story content limited access. :|

I would also deride DC for this plethora of variants, but at least it isn't story content with consequently limited availability due to the way international distribution works.

It is easy for some of us to take or leave variant covers, but stories....
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

nscc wrote:

mkb28

Crazyness!

It's too many when you cannot fit all the cover variants of 1 issue in a short box. :sumo:

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

I'm going to do myself a favor and just not try to get any copies on this one.

Offering up multiple covers is one thing, but making it so you don't know what you're paying for is another thing entirely.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I don't know for sure how this plays into it, but I think the covers are spread around ten different titles. So there are three Harley covers for #7 but the interior pages are Green Lantern. I think.

If so, it could be a clever way of getting cover collectors to try new titles.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Adding to the variant insanity is 23 covers for Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #1, when you add all the retailer variants. I have really grown tired of these gimmicks when this book should be at #9. :?

Another loyal Valiant fan that is spending less going forward.

Mkb28

jduran2
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: The beginning
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by jduran2 »

Jmatt enjoyed your post. Like your writing style. I presumed that when these gimmicks started collectors would be flipped off since some of us remember
the gimmick multiple No 1 issue comic crash in the 90's. So far I have no clue why this sales ploy is still working. Maybe the small prints is a big factor.
As old school I don't like it. I haven't read all the posts but what does Greg feel about all this.

JD