NC Comic Con 2015

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord
NC Comic Con 2015

Post by wrunow »

Anybody? I'm flying in.
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes
Re: NC Comic Con 2015

Post by depluto »

When is it? What's the Valiant presence?

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. NC Comic Con is a decent con, but the main draw for me has always been the Film Festival that runs throughout the con. This year's however is pretty much a joke with only six films and using only one screen. I wonder if the people running it know that they can run the same films year after year and people will still go.

The first year they played TMNT (1990), Batman (1966), Superman II, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Danger Diabolik, Dick Tracy, The Crow, Buck Rogers, Megaforce, Hardware, Mysterymen

Last year they played Akira, Tim Burton’s Batman, Conan the Barbarian, Flash Gordon, The Iron Giant, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Swamp Thing, TMNT II and Up, Up, and Away.

This year it's Masters of the Universe, The Phantom, Ghost World, Godzilla vs. Destroyah, Heavy Metal and Remo Williams. With the exception of Ghost World (which is probably one of my top five movies ever) most of these are yawners, at least to me. Without being able to see a few movies a day it's going to be pretty hard to stretch this small, old-school, hotel-ballroom-style con across a day, much less a weekend. Weekend ticket-holders be prepared to be underwhelmed.

Also, this con's focus on high profile media guests (Gerard Way and Charlie Adlard) rather than diverse comics professionals is pretty lame to me. The first year they had Gail Simone, Frank Cho, Neal Adams, James Asmus, Bob Burden, Bernard Chang, Geoff Darrow, Tommy Lee Edwards, Christos Gage, Sanfor Greene, Jamal Igle, Adam Hughes, Tony Harris, Ron Marz, Cary Nord, Dan Parent, Phil Noto, Mike Perkins, Daniel Way, Ethan Van Sciver, and Fred Van Lente...whew.

This year they have Adam Hughes, Buzz, Bermard Chang, Charlie Adlard, Christos Gage, Chiff Chiang, Daniel Way, Gerard Way, John Paul Leon, Mike Perkins, Neal Adams, Richard Case, Rico Renzi, Stefano Gaudiano, Tommy Lee Edwards, Tony Harris. It's better than last year's Barrowman-con fiasco, but not much. I think the organizers are trying to be NC's answer to Comic Con, but if so they really need to find a more suitable venue.

They do serve beer, however. :thumb:

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?

Post by wrunow »

depluto wrote:When is it? What's the Valiant presence?
This weekend. Valiant has a booth, but I think a small staff attending, although I'm not sure. Haven't seen the Valiant guys in a bit and thought I'd hit a small con for a change.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?

Post by wrunow »

Tim wrote:I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. NC Comic Con is a decent con, but the main draw for me has always been the Film Festival that runs throughout the con. This year's however is pretty much a joke with only six films and using only one screen. I wonder if the people running it know that they can run the same films year after year and people will still go.

The first year they played TMNT (1990), Batman (1966), Superman II, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Danger Diabolik, Dick Tracy, The Crow, Buck Rogers, Megaforce, Hardware, Mysterymen

Last year they played Akira, Tim Burton’s Batman, Conan the Barbarian, Flash Gordon, The Iron Giant, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Swamp Thing, TMNT II and Up, Up, and Away.

This year it's Masters of the Universe, The Phantom, Ghost World, Godzilla vs. Destroyah, Heavy Metal and Remo Williams. With the exception of Ghost World (which is probably one of my top five movies ever) most of these are yawners, at least to me. Without being able to see a few movies a day it's going to be pretty hard to stretch this small, old-school, hotel-ballroom-style con across a day, much less a weekend. Weekend ticket-holders be prepared to be underwhelmed.

Also, this con's focus on high profile media guests (Gerard Way and Charlie Adlard) rather than diverse comics professionals is pretty lame to me. The first year they had Gail Simone, Frank Cho, Neal Adams, James Asmus, Bob Burden, Bernard Chang, Geoff Darrow, Tommy Lee Edwards, Christos Gage, Sanfor Greene, Jamal Igle, Adam Hughes, Tony Harris, Ron Marz, Cary Nord, Dan Parent, Phil Noto, Mike Perkins, Daniel Way, Ethan Van Sciver, and Fred Van Lente...whew.

This year they have Adam Hughes, Buzz, Bermard Chang, Charlie Adlard, Christos Gage, Chiff Chiang, Daniel Way, Gerard Way, John Paul Leon, Mike Perkins, Neal Adams, Richard Case, Rico Renzi, Stefano Gaudiano, Tommy Lee Edwards, Tony Harris. It's better than last year's Barrowman-con fiasco, but not much. I think the organizers are trying to be NC's answer to Comic Con, but if so they really need to find a more suitable venue.

They do serve beer, however. :thumb:
I'll be around the valiant booth, look forward to meeting you.

How about Slym, it's been many years Neil.

Neil is a Valiant NYC Dominican bar vet!