BoD: The Fall of X-O Manowar - Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sir Sandrick
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: X-O/Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Re: BoD: The Fall of X-O Manowar

Post by Sir Sandrick »

I like the issue pretty well, but I was hoping that he would get to go out in a blaze of glory or sacrifice himself in some way. I wanted him to at least have SOME action in it since it is about his end of days I guess. I still think that Ninjak is my Fav BOD so far.

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

I thought it was cool how they showed the armor taking over more of Aric's body as age ravaged it, and I really like the fact that he passed the armor to his daughter. Very cool design, clean lines throughout the book, definitely a must have for XO fans and decent read overall. My favorite "Death of" book is still the Harbinger one.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I thought this was the weakest of the four. Aric as a tired old guy living in a city designed by Albert Speer, and then hey, here's a female X-O! Not terrible, but maybe they should have saved Harbinger for last.

Newton
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Newton »

I loved the reveal that Aric's daughter is Samus Aran.

Dallow Spicer1
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I was slightly disappointed with this issue but only because the other 'Fall Of' books have been so good and VDitti is a great writer too. It certainly wasn't a bad issue and I liked how it tied back to the zero issue (I think) when it referenced Alaric's death and subsequently Aric's wish to be buried in the same place. I liked how Aric's passing meant he became the armour.

Few minor gripes. Wasn't keen on the new armour's jaguar style helmet! And it seemed odd how easily Trill became a 'good guy' but I guess this explains his 'future' appearance with the good guys' group in BOD #1?

As with all of the 'Fall Of' books, whilst they've been very enjoyable I'm not sure about the benefits of 'knowing' the future and what happens to the characters. For example, we now know Trill will survive any foreseeable storyline, it kind of takes something away?

Good read 3/5

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Few minor gripes. Wasn't keen on the new armour's jaguar style helmet! And it seemed odd how easily Trill became a 'good guy' but I guess this explains his 'future' appearance with the good guys' group in BOD #1?

As with all of the 'Fall Of' books, whilst they've been very enjoyable I'm not sure about the benefits of 'knowing' the future and what happens to the characters. For example, we now know Trill will survive any foreseeable storyline, it kind of takes something away?
+1
#StayValiant

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Wasn't there a line about the armor "putting me back together"?

<------ Please, please let it be this. :lol:

Nameless7
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior

Post by Nameless7 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I was slightly disappointed with this issue but only because the other 'Fall Of' books have been so good and VDitti is a great writer too. It certainly wasn't a bad issue and I liked how it tied back to the zero issue (I think) when it referenced Alaric's death and subsequently Aric's wish to be buried in the same place. I liked how Aric's passing meant he became the armour.

Few minor gripes. Wasn't keen on the new armour's jaguar style helmet! And it seemed odd how easily Trill became a 'good guy' but I guess this explains his 'future' appearance with the good guys' group in BOD #1?

Good read 3/5

I have to agree here as well.

Additionally, did anyone notice this was probably a last minute replacement for the original plan?? I remember the solicitation stating that BOD XO was about Aric coming back to earth after being exiled for centuries to a world that neither remembered him nor wanted him.

Based on the people around Aric (wife and daughter) we can assume this happens in the very near future (30 years or so?). I have to assume that something didn;t work out well with the original concept and this was a last minute replacement, thus not quite as good as all the other 'Fall of' books.

Anyone out there thought the same?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Nameless7 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I was slightly disappointed with this issue but only because the other 'Fall Of' books have been so good and VDitti is a great writer too. It certainly wasn't a bad issue and I liked how it tied back to the zero issue (I think) when it referenced Alaric's death and subsequently Aric's wish to be buried in the same place. I liked how Aric's passing meant he became the armour.

Good read 3/5

Additionally, did anyone notice this was probably a last minute replacement for the original plan?? I remember the solicitation stating that BOD XO was about Aric coming back to earth after being exiled for centuries to a world that neither remembered him nor wanted him.

Based on the people around Aric (wife and daughter) we can assume this happens in the very near future (30 years or so?). I have to assume that something didn;t work out well with the original concept and this was a last minute replacement, thus not quite as good as all the other 'Fall of' books.

I had forgotten about that. You're right. There must have been a change.

Not the first time as Shadowman 0 was supposed to be about Josiah, but was changed to the Darque origin. That may have worked out for the better.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

BugsySig wrote:
Nameless7 wrote:

Good read 3/5

Not the first time as Shadowman 0 was supposed to be about Josiah, but was changed to the Darque origin. That may have worked out for the better.
Yeah I read that solicit too. A late change to the concept perhaps meant it wasn't as strong. I'd ask Vditti on Twitter but he doesn't interact anymore, think I must have *SQUEE* him off somehow? :?

Nonetheless he's still a great writer and it was still a good read, just not as good as I'd anticipated.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Nameless7 wrote:

Good read 3/5

Yeah I read that solicit too. A late change to the concept perhaps meant it wasn't as strong. I'd ask Vditti on Twitter but he doesn't interact anymore, think I must have *SQUEE* him off somehow? :?

Nonetheless he's still a great writer and it was still a good read, just not as good as I'd anticipated.
Just got a tweet from Vditti, turns out either my tweets failed to send or he just didn't see them (probsbly the former with my crappy wifi). I'm guessing one of you guys gave him the heads up on what I'd said, cheers whoever did that, much appreciated! :thumb:

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wasn't keen on the new armour's jaguar style helmet!
Neither was I. But I think it's supposed to be a snake/serpent head since they went out of their way to talk about Aralic's sigil.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
Neither was I. But I think it's supposed to be a snake/serpent head since they went out of their way to talk about Aralic's sigil.
Ok that makes more sense then, at least there was some logic there. Good catch B.O.H.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
Ok that makes more sense then, at least there was some logic there. Good catch B.O.H.
You mean his uncle, Alaric's snake sigil, like was shown in the issue? That would have made more sense, but it really looks like a lion head on the helmet. The Shanhara helmet is actually snake-like already. I love the look of the Aric helmet and armor myself though. It looks better than the current Shanara suit to me.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Blood of Heroes

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
You mean his uncle, Alaric's snake sigil, like was shown in the issue? That would have made more sense, but it really looks like a lion head on the helmet. The Shanhara helmet is actually snake-like already. I love the look of the Aric helmet and armor myself though. It looks better than the current Shanara suit to me.
I agree that it did look sort of feline. I don't know why that would be intentional. A snake head would make a lot more sense given the context.

...Unless I'm completely missing something. That happens a lot.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
I agree that it did look sort of feline. I don't know why that would be intentional. A snake head would make a lot more sense given the context.

Looked like a lion to me. :?

Blood of Heroes

BugsySig wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:

Looked like a lion to me. :?
I looked again and now I'm leaning more toward "lion". Although "snake" would make more sense to me.

The helmet reminds me of Wrathamon. Anyone remember that guy? He was great!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (12.71 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (190.86 KiB) Viewed 1351 times

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
That nose is definitely feline.

Blood of Heroes

BugsySig wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah. I guess we'll just have to wait for an explanation as to why Aric turned into the X-O Lionowar armor. :?

Phoenix8008
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
Yeah. I guess we'll just have to wait for an explanation as to why Aric turned into the X-O Lionowar armor. :?
Thunder... THUNDER... THUNDERLION ARMOR... GOOOOOOOO!!!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Blood of Heroes

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
Thunder... THUNDER... THUNDERLION ARMOR... GOOOOOOOO!!!
:lol: :thumb:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Yeah, no doubt about it.

Blood of Heroes

Maybe Aric was a big fan of Gladiator. I mean, who isn't? Amirite?

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

jmatt wrote:Wasn't there a line about the armor "putting me back together"?

<------ Please, please let it be this. :lol:
Ha yeah I hope that scene plays out again. I thought that was so cool when I was a kid.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

The worst part about this book - there aren't any more "Fall of ..." books coming out. At least for the forseeable future. These books have all been great, this one included. At first I was confused, thinking Shanhara had disobeyed Aric's command in order to bond with Jhukka, until I realized what/who Jhukka's armour was. This was a great story. I was surprised by Trill backing down so easily, but he has changed a lot as a character to get to this point. If we had read this story when it was actually taking place, instead of now, it might not be so surprising.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.