BOD: The Fall of Harbinger - Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: BOD: The Fall of Harbinger - Discussion

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Keith wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:Just reread this yesterday, and a thought occurred to me. Harada ascends at the end, and becomes this big, multi-colored field of light. Where have we seen that before? Not the ascension, but the swirling field of lights?? Very much like what Divinity found out in space, if memory serves. I haven't gone back to look at my Divinity issues yet, but I remember it being pretty similar. Not saying that ascended Harada IS what Divinity and his cosmonauts found (timeline is all wrong, of course), but maybe some other ascended being?
Interesting theory.
- An ascended Harada (presumably with some control over space/time) creates Divinity.
- Divinity is then there to be a foil for Harada and his Imperium designs while Peter is off the chessboard.
- The timeline plays out to the point with Divinity being a major influence in the world and where Harada ascends as seen in BoD: TFoH.

Did Harada create his own checkmate to keep him from going overboard and ultimately create the future where he would ascend?
It can't be Harada that empowers Divinity though - that happened in the 1970's or 1980's. Harada didn't ascend till 200 years later. Some other ascended being though? Very possible. Unless you want to start speculating about ascended light energy time travelling or something, but I'd prefer to keep it to one stretching of possibility at a time.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

tiredofmyself
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by tiredofmyself »

With all the bookmarks metaphor, I still feel like Divinity is omnipresent at all time.

And Harada met Divinity before he met Divinity in Imperium.

And how does Prometheus factor into this?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I just spent an hour rereading this. It may be the best comic book I've ever read.

The issue is framed around the Bleeding Monk. He dies on the first page and is reborn on the last.

Harada transcends. Can he cross into an Alternity where Peter was successful in ascending with him, and bring him back to our Alternity?

The art and color are absolutely, relentlessly jaw dropping.

I think the thing that is most satisfying is hearing Peter's narrative as a mature, mindful adult. I got choked up at his parting words to each of his friends. Especially to Torque, those words are true for each and every one of us, to some degree: "Scared, hungry for for love and respect and friendship".

It reads like poetry in places. "He is an ocean. I am a thimble."

And just the way Dysart unfolds the story, modestly flipping back and forth in the storyline as he reveals more and more and more.

My God, how does he do it?

CongoBill
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Livewire
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by CongoBill »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Just reread this yesterday, and a thought occurred to me. Harada ascends at the end, and becomes this big, multi-colored field of light. Where have we seen that before? Not the ascension, but the swirling field of lights?? Very much like what Divinity found out in space, if memory serves. I haven't gone back to look at my Divinity issues yet, but I remember it being pretty similar. Not saying that ascended Harada IS what Divinity and his cosmonauts found (timeline is all wrong, of course), but maybe some other ascended being?

I was thinking the same thing as I read this - that Divinity encountered, and was created by, something out in space very similar to what we were seeing in this book. I certainly feel the connection is there, but who knows? Dysart and Kindt, I guess.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

So, is this confirmation that Faith will become Valiant's new Female Icon since she's the 'world's most popular superhero' here?

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

Best comic I've read in a while. I loved that in the center of all this heady sci-fi stuff is a heart; the core of the comic remains the characters and their motivations. I love Sunlight on the Snow so it's fantastic seeing him and others evolve in the future and the reference to Divinity was nice. The art was spectacular, just a colossal funny-book all around. I love the implication that the Bleeding Monk can be reincarnated. Wow...make mine Valiant.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

A truly stunning issue, I'm so impressed with the sci-fi concepts pulled into this tale. Masterful.

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue, please follow the link (it was just Dr Solar & Hawkeyeps hosting this one);

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/VCR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 34/

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aomalle27
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

Wow; I guess I'm in the minority on this one. As I expected after seeing the teaser images a couple weeks ago; the art was a disaster. Weird, but the flashback scenes with the renegades were spot on, but for 95% of the comic the art was distracting and awful. The story itself could have been interesting but it tried to throw too many future snippets in; renegade deaths, Harada and the psiot factions, AI ruling the world? (Peter pleads with the AI to lift the tech embargo, suggesting an AI rule). Too many issues, I'd prefer one or two items to delve into. No mention of New Japan, nor any real tie in to Book of Death. FoBS and FoN both tied into Book of death nicely; while being dominated by their subject matter characters. Fallout from BoD led to a future where Bloodshot becomes nomadic, eventually finding his way back to heroism. Ninjak seeks his own way to defeating what he perceives the biggest threat to be (Harada-topia), leads to dramatic if not pointless attack on New Japan. Harbinger makes no mention of a Geomancer/necromancer fallout. Not even in a subtle way. This reads more like a standalone Harbinger story than a BoD tie in.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Aomalle27 wrote:This reads more like a standalone Harbinger story than a BoD tie in.
Because that's what it is. The last Harbinger story.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

Keith wrote:
Aomalle27 wrote:This reads more like a standalone Harbinger story than a BoD tie in.
....and what a great one it is.

Michael_Ayer
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Michael_Ayer »

I'm with you Aomalle. It didn't seem to connect.
I wrote a Shadowman Story for KINDLE WORLDS.

Check it out: http://amzn.com/B00IMFHWDS

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Keith wrote:
+1

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

QUARTZ wrote:the reference to Divinity was nice. I love the implication that the Bleeding Monk can be reincarnated.
+1 on both counts...
#StayValiant

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

Keith wrote:
Interesting theory.
- An ascended Harada (presumably with some control over space/time) creates Divinity.
- Divinity is then there to be a foil for Harada and his Imperium designs while Peter is off the chessboard.
- The timeline plays out to the point with Divinity being a major influence in the world and where Harada ascends as seen in BoD: TFoH.

Did Harada create his own checkmate to keep him from going overboard and ultimately create the future where he would ascend?
I just finished reading this, and while I was reading I thought there might be some connection to the entity that Harada encounters on Mercury and the one that Divinity encounters.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Keith wrote:
Interesting theory.

It can't be Harada that empowers Divinity though - that happened in the 1970's or 1980's. Harada didn't ascend till 200 years later. Some other ascended being though? Very possible. Unless you want to start speculating about ascended light energy time travelling or something, but I'd prefer to keep it to one stretching of possibility at a time.
The alternate universes have different situations for Peter and Harada, but it's not clear if those universes intersect. Suppose the Divinity cosmonauts (the Trinity?) were actually travelling through alternate universes, not just travelling farther from Earth within our own. If they encountered "The Unknown" in another universe, and Abram returned to our universe, he could have encountered the result of that Harada becoming "The Unknown" in that other universe.

The 1970s or 1980s of our universe is not necessarily the 1970s or 1980s of another universe. Besides, within our own universe, we know that the sentient cities connect different points in time, plus Ivar and Neela can travel through time without being as powerful as Divinity. The Harada of another universe could become the Unknown in its equivalent of the year 2200 or whatever, the Trinity of cosmonauts could have travelled there, and Abram could have returned to a past Earth, still too late to achieve his goal of reuniting with his wife and daughter.

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Keith wrote:
Interesting theory.

Or... the ascended Harada has mastery over Space/Time, and completely capable of empowering Divinity in the past. Not too much of a stretch since we have seen Divinity prove powerful enough to move people around in time at will... the force that created him could have even greater ability in that regard.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I have to say I think people are really reaching with a Harada created Divinity connection. It would be cool, and I love interconnectedness between books, but this seems like a reach.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:I have to say I think people are really reaching with a Harada created Divinity connection. It would be cool, and I love interconnectedness between books, but this seems like a reach.
That was my thought too, but I'm trying not to step on anyone's toes -- it's just speculation and I've done plenty myself. That said, it's very speculative.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

BugsySig wrote:I have to say I think people are really reaching with a Harada created Divinity connection. It would be cool, and I love interconnectedness between books, but this seems like a reach.
The psychedelic coloring of the "space" involved with The Unknown from Divinity and the Harada-on-higher-planes are pretty close, and that's probably the source of the connection.
That said, it's been known from the start of VEI that we would not have Solar.

What was the rainbow space coloring in 1990s Valiant? It was Solar's unreality, basically the realm of "the unknown".
Divinity brings back a space man with amazing powers in a red suit (added white to the suit, took away white from the man).
Harada's alternate reality higher planes fill in where the missing rainbow space was.
It's not much of a stretch if you see both pieces as replacements for Solar.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:
The psychedelic coloring of the "space" involved with The Unknown from Divinity and the Harada-on-higher-planes are pretty close, and that's probably the source of the connection.
That said, it's been known from the start of VEI that we would not have Solar.

What was the rainbow space coloring in 1990s Valiant? It was Solar's unreality, basically the realm of "the unknown".
Divinity brings back a space man with amazing powers in a red suit (added white to the suit, took away white from the man).
Harada's alternate reality higher planes fill in where the missing rainbow space was.
It's not much of a stretch if you see both pieces as replacements for Solar.
They may be connected (or a result of uncreative coloring choices), but a direct link of a time/space displaced ascended Harada being the cosmic element that those astronauts encountered in the deepest reaches of space? Seems a bit much. But you never know.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:...but a direct link of a time/space displaced ascended Harada being the cosmic element that those astronauts encountered in the deepest reaches of space?
To be honest, I'd be disappointed if there was a connection. They have a chance to present us with some new cosmic force, no need to tie it to a character we've already seen a lot of.

I'm glad Marvel's Beyonder didn't just turn out to be the Space Phantom reincarnated.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

jmatt wrote:
BugsySig wrote:...but a direct link of a time/space displaced ascended Harada being the cosmic element that those astronauts encountered in the deepest reaches of space?
To be honest, I'd be disappointed if there was a connection. They have a chance to present us with some new cosmic force, no need to tie it to a character we've already seen a lot of.

I'm glad Marvel's Beyonder didn't just turn out to be the Space Phantom reincarnated.
If there is a connection, for me having a tighter more cohesive vision for the most powerful protagonists of the VALIANT universe would be more effective than adding a plethora of unrelated ideas, but mileage clearly varies, which is cool. :)

For that reason, I was pleased with the recent revelations of the origins of PRS anti-psiot technology in Imperium. It made sense and worked to the established building blocks of VEI stories
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

I found the issue very enjoyable, especially from the writing. It had sweep and a sense of something huge. I think Dysart as an exponent of 'big ideas' has surpassed lauded contemporaries like Hickman. The issue felt like a very fitting companion piece to his Harbinger-Imperium work.

The art felt very good in places, very apt, but in others I really struggled. So an eventual re-read may help with the clarity I have of what is known from first reading.

In all though, great stuff VEI. :thumb:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

krylox
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by krylox »

just finished the book of death hardcover. bod harbinger was the only one i buyed and read as a single issue and i remember liking it very much. but today, on a second and more slow and profound re-read... WOW. just wow. this is probably the best comic any incarnation of valiant has ever released and it had that superb rai #0 vibe to it. but from a storytelling standpoint it was much more emotional and complex/layered. i think this book is exactly what a lot of old school fans were always expecting from the new valiant: complex genre-storytelling for adults. as much as i loved it, it stood quite in heavy contrast with the rest of the book, which, at best, was nice to average. the main mini and the x-o story by venditti... sorry, i just don't get why this guy is still allowed to write for vei. it's so rough, so in your face, so superficial... but enough with the negativity. i would have gladly payed for this hardcover for the harbinger story alone. this issue alone is the definitive answer to the question "has valiant earned its place in today's comics market?": HELL YES.

i want more stuff like that. PLEASE!!!

and josh for president. obviously. (but i really loved the art and the colors too)